Nzingah // Natural Hair Style Icon

Avatar • Sep 29, 2011

Natural Hair Styles, Natural Hair Pictures, Natural Hair Blogs

Introduce yourself!
N:
I live in South Florida (Fort Lauderdale). I am a Haitian multidisciplinary artist (visual, jeweler, spoken word, musician) currently pursuing a degree in neuroscience.

Why did you go natural?
N:
I have gone through every hair process known to man unfortunately. My hair has been pressed, relaxed and then there were the dreadful jheri curl years. While in high school I had this burning desire to go natural but mother would not approve. I was oscillating between a brush cut or locs. Unfortunately my mother spoke to my hairdresser and clearly informed her I could do anything I wanted except go natural. To semi satisfy my desire I cut my hair as short as possible with the relaxer. While in college I started to really explore my identity and became more health conscious. When I thought about the possible health implications of me relaxing my hair (I literally was relaxing my hair every 4–6 weeks) and the historical connections I decided it was time for me to make a change.

How did you transition to natural hair?
N:
I made the transition in 2001. At the time I was transitioning from a really short relaxed cut (similar to what Toni Braxton, Halle Berry, Nia Long were known for). To make the transition I kept my hair braided, mainly micro braids, until I had a certain length for my big chop. My big chop arrived a little sooner than I anticipated. I was scheduled to have my hair rebraided and my braider was not there when I arrived. When I was able to get her on the phone we discovered that she double booked and totally forgot about me. Any other time that would have been great but I was scheduled to be at an event the next day. I ended up going to a natural hair salon for a consultation and before I knew it the day that was supposed to be about hair braiding turned into my big chop day. I wore my hair in an afro, double twists, and single twists for a while and eventually decided to lock my hair.

In what ways (if any) has going natural affected you?
N:
Going natural has made me be more versed in our hair. It also has made me more sensitive about what I put in my hair. Right after I transitioned I had to go to the ENT doctor for a lump on my neck and my physician informed me that it was from the products I used in my hair, particularly relaxers. I was stunned to say the least. He said that he has clients come in all the time with the same growth. He said that women use all these products on their hair and many of them enter our blood stream. Our body identifies it as a poison and in a response to protect itself it is encapsulated in our lymph nodes. Once I had that piece of information I really evaluated what I put in my hair.

What’s your regimen?
N:
I wash and twist my hair every 2–3 weeks and do a dry wash with sea breeze depending on how active I am. Every other wash I do a clay treatment as well as a hot oil treatment. I moisturize my hair every other day.

How do you retain length and moisture in your hair?
N:
I make sure I do a hot oil treatment once a month. I try my best to not over twist my hair so that I don’t create weakness from my roots. I like to moisturize my hair with Crystal Royal Secrets hair rejuvenator.

What mistakes have you made with your hair that you’ve learned from?
N:
I had my locs cut before — not shortened — but instead had my stylist cut all the frizziness from each individual loc. In hindsight I would not have done it especially with my locs being as small as they are I feel like it created a weakness.

Is there a blog/webpage where we can find you?
N:
www.NzingahDesigns.com (jewelry line) www.Nzingah.com (artwork)
www.facebook.com/sankofaschild
www.facebook.com/beautyisstrength (Jewelry Fan Page)
www.twitter.com/sankofaschild

belle
belle

WOW.. she is gorgeous! Love her hair too…

trini
trini

Gorgeous and modelesque. And about that lump hmm. Glad that you’re okay though.

Lola
Lola

she is gorgeous and her skin is amazing!!! I love the pic with the short hair a lot.…
That story with the lump on her neck is scary and reminds me of when I used to have lumps on my armpits,apparently from anti-perspirants…anywyas,I’m glad my relaxer days are over!!!

Jasmine
Jasmine
Reply to  Lola

Woow. That’s CRAZY!! And I agree — Nzingah is STUNNING!

trinigul
trinigul

absolutely STUNNING!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Faren Humes
Faren Humes

Beautiful segment. Hi Nzingah if you’re reading! You know my dad, Charles Humes, Jr.

Nzingah Oniwosan
Reply to  Faren Humes

Hey You…I swore I saw a picture of you the other day for Sia’s Rare Honey Inc clothing line.

Onia
Onia

Can I say, I haven’t even looked at her hair yet because her skin is beautiful? Flawless!

Onia
Onia
Reply to  Onia

*so beautiful. (It’s so beautiful I forgot how to type!)

amber
amber

lovely!

AishaSaidIt

Locs are always tempting. I wish I could take pictures like that.

June
June

She is very pretty. I am curious as to how she styled her hair in the first picture.

The picture where she is smiling is making me smile. She definitely has a great spirit.

Nzingah Oniwosan
Reply to  June

How I styled my hair in that picture was me taking my hair and wrapping each strand around itself. So I look like my hair is short but I’m still at the same length. Its alternative to me curling my hair with rollers. When I pull it out my hair is really curly. Picture is only a year old.

Jamani
Jamani

I hardly comment on posts but had to say you’re breathtakingly beautiful.…

maralondon
maralondon

Don’t mean to side step your hair but you have a beautiful complexion my sista. That coupled with your hair breathtakingly stunning.

brunettefury
brunettefury

First thought? “Jesus, she’s beautiful and I’m jealous of her face.”

Fabulous hair too!

Mx
Mx

I have to admit, I just stared at your pics for awhile… I was awe-stricken by your beauty.… and I dont say that often. Then I read and find out you are also artistic and academic (not to mention Haitian, which I am also)…wow. Now that I read the comments, I see Im not the only one who was mesmorized.

rosie
rosie

Beautiful skin and hair!

Libby

This is such a great post. Nzingah is such a beauty. She is a true artist.

* And about the ENT report, I had a similar experience with a lymph node in the back of my neck. The doc said it was due to the weight of the (extension) braids at the nape of my neck. But he still made me get a CBC just to be sure. Apparently I had not been the only one. Ever since I’ve been quite careful about braids.

HoneybeeBrown
HoneybeeBrown

One time for the 954!!!

Representing Fort Lauderdale—

YUP! YUP! Pase’ (Im not Haitian but …)

Hi Nzingha! I live in Fort Lauderdale too. Your pics are stunning!

I am so excited to see Fort Lauderdale represented!

All the best,

Cassandra

Beautiful post

SR
SR

The lump on her neck! I use to get them fairly often in my arm pits and near my crotch. My doctor figured that it was most likely from my cycle (it can happen around that time) but I haven’t had one in about a year… as long as I’ve been natural again. Something to think about.

Leaf
Leaf
Reply to  SR

Those are swollen lymph nodes. Your white blood cells-the cells that fight infections come from your lymph nodes. They are located near your neck, crotch and armpit area and they hurt if you become really sick because they are fighting the infection. I have a lump near my right ear that has never went away and I’ve been natural for a year. Since chemical relaxers are understudied-we don’t know the effects of them.

Zyaran
Zyaran

Wow such a beautiful n smart woman and the rich chocolate of her skin is Gorgeous. You can just get lost looking into her eyes, but those locs are gorgeous.

Z
Z
Reply to  Zyaran

Did yall see this teacher who put the parentive authorative action on these kids. This was so wonderful to see, because alot of kids are acting a fool in class. It’s called “Teacher about to break up fight and goes off”

Anna Renee

I am so happy to see us celebrating our beauty!! Yes this sister is breathtakingly beautiful!! Once you look carefully and deeply into the beauty of blackness, no one on earth can even again convince you otherwise!

anastasia
anastasia

GORGEOUS!!!

Le Le
Le Le

I like your hair, especially in that second pic. You have nice eyes, too.

Starla
Starla

Not sure how you name is pronounced, but I think it’s a cool name

meeso
meeso

that photo in profile is just divine, i love it when our natural hair looks like this
this lady’s hair is so beautiful and it makes me so happy to see it

🙂
*round of applause for the beauty of afro hair and the women who have the patience and desire to care for it accordingly*

maegan
maegan

She is GORGEOUS! So much Haitian pride right now!

Sabrina black
Sabrina black

The second and third picture-Woah.