Natural Hair Sorority is Under Fire: Is the Criticism Fair?

Avatar • Sep 1, 2011

The Ladies of AfroCityTv.com

Janeice says;

Today I came across an article on BET.com criticizing the recently formed Natural Hair Sorority group, Pi Nappa Kappa. The article’s author says:

Awesome intentions but, to be honest, I am anxiously anticipating the day when Black women have gotten over the natural hair craze. Why? Because it shouldn’t be a craze, a fad or even a movement. Our appreciation of the hair that grows from our follicles (whatever the texture) should be second nature; it’s hardly a topic of debate and should be a personal choice that is not loaded with commentary about our self-worth. And it will only get to that place if we stop obsessing.

I cut off my relaxed hair at the age of 15 when I looked in the mirror and realized that battling with chemicals and products to make my hair something it wasn’t didn’t make any logical sense. And, just to be real, it also coincided with a fight I was having with my mother about not being taken to the salon often enough and having to deal with my “roots” alone.

This was over 10 years ago — before ladies were all abuzz about their big chop or swapping stories about what $45 emulsion they splurge on to take care of their hair. Back then, I was happy to share a short conversation with another Black woman who wore her hair the same way or who had aspirations of wearing her natural texture. Now, trips to the store for hair products are exercises in dodging the glances of women eager to spark up half-hour long conversations about how I style my hair which, to be honest, doesn’t always look that great. I would love to have a friendly conversation with a Black woman that didn’t revolve around our hair obsession and maybe just have a chat because we both recognize our bond as Black women.

I’ve been in a few other forums that voice a similar dislike of the idea of a natural hair sorority, and I’m curious as to why this has struck such a nerve. Although they aren’t sororities per say, there are several sorority-like natural hair communities that have popped up across the web, and no one so much as blinks an eye. What makes this one any different?

Interesting! Ladies, what do you think? Please keep the comments respectful 🙂

Monique

there are quite obviously “light skinned” sororities and “dark skinned” sororities so why not natural? To each her own.

NinaG
NinaG
Reply to  Monique

which are the “light skinned” sororities and “dark skinned” sororities?

SP
SP
Reply to  NinaG

dont try to act like u dont know the history behind the AKAs and the DSTs

…brown paper bag test…ring a bell?

NinaG
NinaG
Reply to  SP

I’m not denying that colorism may exist in these organizations but ave you seen pictures of AKA founders?

Fearce Diva
Reply to  NinaG

And on top of that, I’m a Delta and my founders were all AKAs. So if that were the case, wouldn’t my organization be the same as AKA and another be the “dark skinned” sorority. No matter what you “assume” about AKA and DST neither one has either one of those as a founding principles or has anything to do with intake of members. A natural hair sororities founding principle and intake of members would be based on natural hair. Right? It’s not really a good comparison in my opinion. And colorism was a thing of the nation at that time… Read more »

LBell
LBell
Reply to  NinaG

That USED to be the case. Not so much anymore. I know plenty of dark-skinned AKAs (including my mother and sister) and light-skinned DSTs (including my cousins). If that’s still happening, it’s definitely a college- or region-specific thing.

Kesha
Kesha
Reply to  LBell

Monique, your statement is false. There are not and never were any Divine Nine soririties intended for light-skinned or dark skinned members. This is a fact. If the so-called paper bag membership standard was applied in a Divine Nine sorority it was done on a local level and it defied the principles of the organization. I know other clubs and societies exsited where a paper bag test was the practice, but please stop the misinformation about Delta and AKA, etc.

Stacey
Stacey
Reply to  Kesha

I am a member of one of the organizations mentioned and can completely attest that this particular misinformation is one of the most irritating things to me. There was never a nationwide “paperbag” test for AKA. It may have been something a particular chapter did, but that has never really been confirmed. My mother is a darker sister. She joined said sorority as a college student. DST at that particular time on her campus was full of lighter sisters with wavy hair. So let’s please stop perpetuating this untruth about Divine 9 sororities.

SP
SP
Reply to  Stacey

Well at the end of the day, whether it was a particular chapter or a particular region it is STILL nonetheless apart of the overall organization. And we are not talkin recently, we are talking when they were founded in the early 1900s…

cassieo
cassieo
Reply to  SP

Also even If there was a brown paper bag test, it wasn’t only isolated with the AKAs. It was practiced by many Divine 9 Orgs including Deltas. You have to understand that for the most part, many of the blacks that were attending Howard and other HBCU’s were lighter skinned (red-skinned and brown-skinned) African Americans who were privileged elite (i.e. Business Owners, etc.). If you read contemporary books of the time by African American writers who discussed that issue, you will see that there was a stark divide in skin color not only in Greek Organizations but in the education… Read more »

Fearce Diva
Reply to  cassieo

Now that is true.

New Vintage Lady

As someone who has been natural for over 16 years now, I completely and utterly relate to the author’s comments, especially about being stopped for the long talks. The idea of us as black women wanting equality is often railroaded by us wanting to highlight every facet of what makes us wonderful and different. Or when we are treated equally (IE that male NIVIA ad) we get uproarious, as if some great crime has been committed. I feel we are becoming a culture of fake outrage, and over exposed ‘cultural expression’. By doing this, we often loose our real voice… Read more »

LaToya
LaToya

+1,000,000

I totally agree with you and the author. Let’s let go of the small stuff and focus on what truly matters…and it’s not what’s growing out of your scalp!

SP
SP
Reply to  LaToya

If natural hair can spark bigger debates and raise awareness of OTHER issues in our community then I think it “truly matters.” It not necessrily about what it means to YOU specifically. Its about what it means to our community as a whole.

To me, if natural hair can lead to raising awareness on other issues I think the fuss about it is well worth it…

Annie L.
Annie L.
Reply to  SP

+1,000,001

And my +1,000,001 is for SP!

WMH
WMH
Reply to  LaToya

+1,000,001 🙂

WMH
WMH
Reply to  WMH

The +1,000,001 was in response to New Vintage Lady and LaToya. 🙂

Michelle
Michelle

It as if the author took the words out my muddled brain and put them to paper.

julia

yes, yes, and yes

Kimberly B
Kimberly B

You are totally wrong and equality does not mean ignoring differences. How does one even come up with such a though?

Fig
Fig

+1000,000,000 agreed. Ever been around a bunch of women who can only talk about hair? *snooze*

1Nikki
1Nikki

I’m not into sorority’s myself but I guess if that’s what someone wants to do then that’s their choice. However I agree with the writer. I think I will be natural 4 or 5 yrs in a couple of months and I’m kind of over how trendy it’s become. I’m still happy to help women who stop me on the street who have questions still. But I don’t like when relaxed women like my hair but then they voice how terrified they are to go natural, because they might not have “a nice texture”. I also don’t like having long… Read more »

Reply to  1Nikki

The one thing that tests my nerves is relaxed girls giving me backhanded compliments “omg your hair is cute but EYE couldnt do that”.…..lady I didnt ask you to! LOL! I have to check myself before I say “thank you”.

andrea
andrea
Reply to  1Nikki

I agree with you i to love the fact that we are embracing are hair, but now are hair seems like a separate entity and not a part of our bodies.

Quietstorm
Quietstorm
Reply to  andrea

I agree I’ve only been natural for 5 years, but I don’t recall making a big production about it. I can’t wait for the day that it’s closer to the norm and we don’t have to debate or even converse about it.

AnonyChick
AnonyChick

I think the whole thing is very extra and so unnecessary. What, are the gazillion natural hair blogs not enough?? People just want to be Greek, by any means necessary.

Julissa
Julissa
Reply to  AnonyChick

Uh…seriously? Being Greek is a fad now? Please.

Quietstorm
Quietstorm
Reply to  Julissa

Wouldn’t it be funny if the founder were Greek? I can’t believe how offended these grown up “Greeks” are over this. How silly, no one was trying to take away from the bonds you formed with your Sorors in college. This was intended to help sisters embrace themselves. They won’t be in any step shows with their afros, locs and curls. I’m sure you won’t see their tshirts, bags and hats sold next yours at the Greek booth at the urban festivals. Lighten up people.

ohbother
ohbother

For some people it’s not just hair and it should be ok for them to feel that way. I don’t see why people feel the need to tell people how they should or should not feel about what grows out of a head that is not their own. Hair is not just hair for any group of individuals. It never has been and never will be. It’s like saying that skin is just skin. In a perfect world it would be but we live in a complex society where every aspect of what a person looks like matters. People have… Read more »

NinaG
NinaG
Reply to  ohbother

Real RBN
Real RBN
Reply to  ohbother

+++1

Jade
Jade
Reply to  ohbother

THANK YOU!! SAID EVERYTHING I WANTED TO SAY.

I mean even look at religions that require men not to cut their hair (Sikhism) or women to cover their hair (Islam). Obviously hair has been a part of human culture since the beginning. So it will mean something to many people.

julia
Reply to  ohbother

oh — that’s a good point.

Florida Steph
Reply to  ohbother

I agree! As someone who, as a child, was made to feel bad by my own family members about how ‘nappy’ my hair is, to wear my hair in its natural state is a statement and a catharsis to me. I don’t do it to prove anything to anybody but myself, but it is a very important part of me that I would not want anyone else to discount!

YannaBlue
YannaBlue
Reply to  ohbother

+1 I totally agree

Teeka
Teeka
Reply to  ohbother

Oh Bother, in a way, I agree with you. It’s somewhat flippant and unrealistic to say “it’s just hair,” when it clearly is not. Black women’s hair is so loaded with connotations from within and outside the Black community. It is such an important part of our lives. BUT, I do think the attitude of “it’s just hair” is something we should work towards, something we would benefit from. Don’t you think people (potential employers for example) would stop making such a big deal out of our natural hair if we did first? I am a long-time natural (15 years)… Read more »

1Nikki
1Nikki
Reply to  ohbother

By saying it is just hair I wasn’t being flippant. I know about the politics of our hair, but black people have been on earth way longer than the people who imposed all of these judgements on us were. So I can’t say this is how it’s always been and how it always will be. I accept my hair for what it is so I don’t really care what people have to say about it anymore. I really do love it and have fun with it, but at the end of the day it is only hair. I can’t take it… Read more »

JP23

WOW.……yeah this is not a big deal to me. Too much anger for no reason. I don’t approach naturals because I don’t want the ‘tude. When people approach me yeah sometimes it gets annoying but I don’t show it. Why be rude to people asking questions? This seems like that “old natural/ new natural” thing again and I just don’t want to play that game. I’m happy anytime I see another natural, all this extra anger and ‘tude is too much for me. No this group of women doesn’t bother me. Since I’m a part of this “fad” I’m not… Read more »

NinaG
NinaG
Reply to  JP23

I was going to say the same thing it sounds like the vets against the newbies. I’m a vet who doesn’t mind being approached, although it doesn’t happen that often. There is no reason for me not to show love to other black women. ever.

As for the sorority, I’ve heard some questionable things about their “process” so that makes me give them the side-eye, but the idea for a natural hair sorority doesn’t bother me and I have no interest in joining.

Reply to  NinaG

LOL at that side eye (>_>). Yeah I dont want to join it either but being upset or bothered by it is.….different. I was lucky to have vets encourage me so the only time I feel “new vs old” is online. It is kind of sad but I cannot tell people how to feel.

Tina

Yes, I agree with a lot of what the author says, not based on the web series so much as simply I cut my hair off about 16 years ago as a teen, nobody was doing it, I was natural since then now into my thirties and its like so what. Its my hair it gorwns like that and now their are names like bc and expensive latehrs, lotions souffles nd such. I jsut feel that folks wouldn’t make such a big deal about our hair outside of our communiites if we didn’t Just do you, we dont always have… Read more »

itsDaCia

Since the beginning, black women have been obsessed with hair. Whether we were pressing it, wearing jerri curls, relaxers, or weaves, black women have always made their hair an important part of their look and their life. Do I think :going natural” has become a fad? YES> But this trend is teaching young and old women to love something about ourself that we have been hiding for decades. I’m not going to speculate when it comes to anyone else’s spirtual evolution, but if the big chop is what helped you grow as a person, so be it. For me personally,… Read more »

Melinda
Melinda

Nope, I think that u guys are being mean and insensitive, don’t u remember when u were a new natural???

SP
SP

It does seem to be a new natural vs. Veteran natural thing… I hate when people try to act like the natural hair community is not necessary anymore now that they’ve been natural for 20 yrs… In all actuality, you wouldnt be on this site commenting right now if SOMETHING about this community didnt matter to you. Whats the sense of being on here then? If its JUST HAIR… Im sorry everyone hasnt been natural for 20 yrs and is in their 30s or 40s. Im 23 yrs old… THANKS. Maybe I’ll feel that way in 10 yrs. But I cant see… Read more »

Deelilly
Deelilly
Reply to  SP

THANK YOU!!!!

IDK why they are all dismissing those who are excited to talk about their hair. I LOVE meeting other females with natural hair as I am still learning about my own.
lol it’s never just hair.…honestly…
reading the comments i was feeling bad for being hyped about my hair. But then i was like wait.…what? lol

as for the natural hair sorority well what can i say? I just wanna know if its gonna be the divine 10 now. lol j/k

Angie
Angie
Reply to  Deelilly

Naw girl, don’t feel bad. Brush it off and keep it movin. Celebrate your natural hair as much, as long and as often as you want. At the end of the day, it ain’t nobody’s business anyway. I’ve been natural for 9 years and I eagerly welcome anyone who wants to rap about the process and the journey.

LBell
LBell
Reply to  SP

I’ve been natural for coming up on 16 years and I agree with you. So don’t jump on all us old-heads yet… Setting aside the fact that I’m a GDI (God Damn Independent) in a family of women who are sorority members (AKA, DST)… I’m still trying to figure out why this is a big deal. That link goes to a Facebook page, for crying out loud. Just because they call themselves a sorority/fraternity doesn’t mean they’re on the same level as all the other black Greek organizations. Even the name is a joke: Pi Nappa Kappa. What exactly is the problem?… Read more »

Reply to  LBell

X_X @ GDI. I guess I am one too, LOL! Yeah I should say SOME “vets” or “old heads” can come across as “YALL WASNT NATURAL 50–11 YEARS AGO, SO YOU AINT REAL”. I think one of the things I try to find is more women who are in the middle: vet but cool with others being excited about being a newbie and newbies who realize that some can be put off by tons of questions. I have only been nautral for 7 going on 8 months (i wore both textures for a while but cut it off this year)… Read more »

b.
b.
Reply to  LBell

Count me among the “old heads” nodding my head as you speak this, LBell. +1.

Roberta
Roberta
Reply to  LBell

Thanks for being a voice of reason!! People have blown this way way out of proportion. If it’s not hair, body images, skin color, or looks… it’s always something that keeps black women (especially) arguing over something that is not important. Something that is not hurting people or impeding on other people’s organizations. I always though a sorority was about sisterhood and being with women who support you as well as have “similar” ideas as you. This whole debate on TV shows, radio programs, and on various websites, have turned the word into something that is so negative, and further… Read more »

New Vintage Lady
Reply to  SP

I just found this site 3 days ago, via a google click. I wasn’t looking for an online hair community. “Really the naturals sayin “its not that serious” are the ones that make it a HUGE thing…” Its not that serious, and its not a huge thing. I get it, it’s about personal discovery, but its not as if I’m in AA, or I just came out to my family as gay. It’s hair, your hair, but have some perspective. This has nothing to do with who was natural longer. You’ve fabricated these factions: naturals vs. relaxed, veteran naturals vs. newbies,… Read more »

1Nikki
1Nikki

Thank you! It was a big deal at first to me but once I got used to it, wearing my hair natural became just a very natural thing for me to do and it doesn’t feel so serious anymore.

NinaG
NinaG
Reply to  SP

In all actuality, you wouldnt be on this site commenting right now if SOMETHING about this community didnt matter to you. Whats the sense of being on here then? If its JUST HAIR…”

Can we repeat this like a million times. It kills me when people comment on issues that “aren’t that important.”

NeNatural
NeNatural
Reply to  SP

Did you catch where she said her hair styling wasn’t even that great.… shame on her, its not our fault we seem to do more than the afro or the press and curl. I think we’re doing an outstanding job via the internet on how many ways we can soften and grow our hair. My mother sounded the same way. She didn’t relax her hair until later in life, but atlest she blow dry me sometimes.

sasha
sasha
Reply to  SP

Thank You!

Come On People
Come On People

Wow, are women such bitter betties to the point where everytthing is an issue. I just don’t understand why people make such an issues out of things like these. If someone wants to start a sorority, let them do it. if you don’t believe in the cause, don’t join. If someone ask you questions about your hair and you don’t want to hold a half hour conversation, just say a little bit of this and a little bit of that and keep it moving. Tell them it is so much more information on Youtube.

Tonya Juanise
Tonya Juanise
Reply to  Come On People

I agree!

Annie L.
Annie L.
Reply to  Tonya Juanise

Me too! Very surprised at some of the initial replies.

Deens
Deens
Reply to  Annie L.

PLUS FREAKIN ONE!!!! So much anger and frustration…lol its a lil bit SCARY

Tonya Juanise
Tonya Juanise

I don’t see what the big deal is, if someone wants to create a sorority for girls with natural hair, why not? I’ve never heard about the light skin/ dark skin sororites but if they do exist, BET, why not write an article about that? Unless that’s already been done? Anyway it’s awesome to see more women going natural and I do hope that it’s not just a passing fad that will go away in a few years. That would really suck. lol But I know for me, I did not go natural because I thought it was the “in” thing… Read more »

LaTara
Reply to  Tonya Juanise

I second this!! I think it’s funny to hear some people say, “What’s the big deal about natural hair?” or “Our culture expression is over exposed” or “It’s not that deep!” And yet in that very same breath, he/she brings up key issues/topics that surrounds this very issue and is yet, plaguing the black community today! One said, “I was just thinking the other day how excited I am for the newer generations of black girls who will be raised natural by natural moms. They will have such an uncomplicated, un-political view of their hair, and will just view it… Read more »

1Nikki
1Nikki
Reply to  LaTara

You do have a point yes our generation will have to be the ones to accept ourselves so that the next generation can see it as normal. Going natural was exciting at first but I guess its just becomes second nature so every time I do my hair I’m not all omg I just did a twist-out lol. I’m not hating on naturals who still have that enthusiasm & when girls on the st. stop me I always tell them what I know. It’s just that I know a few naturals who are just over the top & always want to… Read more »

Stay
Stay

I kinda understand where she is coming from after a trip to Carols Daughters in Macy’s NYC. The sales girl (natural under her wig, she said) was doing her job of trying to sell me any/everything. And another sister came up and started telling me I shouldn’t buy shampoo because it’s not good for my hair. She went on this whole speech to me and the sales girl about the evils of shampoo. I was ignoring both of them, and just trying to get what I was there for. Then after the girl went on and on about her hair… Read more »

sarah

Greek organizations are created all the time for any number of reasons. Sororities and fraternities are created around those who share the same religion, education interest, grade point average, skin color, ethnicity, race, and even socioeconomic status. Having an organazation that celebrates a hair texture is just really a drop in the bucket. Moving on…

Amanda
Amanda

To me sororities are just another way to divide people. While I like the idea behind a natural hair sorority, I can see how non-natural haired ladies would take offense to it. It excludes them. Sororities can promote sisterhood while at the same time perpetuating exclusion.

I think we can have groups for those that have, love, and support natural hair without excluding those who still enjoy chemical fire cream.

Kesha
Kesha
Reply to  Amanda

I agree Amanda, the problem with this for me is that the word “sorority” unfortunately has negative conotations. It conjures up exclusion and not sisterhood. Sad but true. Gather, provide each other with support and encouragement, educate other women, but dont call it ia sorority.

JP23

I think if some people read their responses again they will understand why it looks like new vs old.….…

shannon
shannon

Hey B.E.T…Write an article about the demise of real music and get you some business. That is all.

Reply to  shannon

TheBeautifulOne
TheBeautifulOne
Reply to  shannon

LMAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Michelle
Michelle

People have the freedom to form whatever group they want to. If it is okay for the KKK to form a group and it be legal in Ameria, then why not create a nappy group. It is harmless! People will always find something to nag and complain about. If it is a positive group with the intention to bring together like minded women with the objective to promote healthy natural hair, then what’s the big deal. I get so sick of folks complaining and make a big deal out of things that are no big deal. We have enough to… Read more »

Annie L.
Annie L.
Reply to  Michelle

If it is okay for the KKK to form a group and it be legal in Ameria, then why not create a nappy group?’

Agreed! How is this group exasperating the author?

Angie
Angie

So what if a group of natural haired young ladies want to start a natural hair sorority? Boy, we women know how to create drama, don’t we? There are people all over the world starting all kinds of special interest organizations; so…add a natural hair one. Furthermore, so what if for some women natural hair is a fad or a trend? That’s not going to have an affect on the die-hards who went natural for life, now will it? And will it really kill you to have a friendly dialogue with a young woman regarding natural hair? If you just… Read more »

NeNatural
NeNatural

To this generation its a whole new ball game, let’s be happy to share our experiences in today’s world and shine the way we want to. The generations i.e grandma and mama don’t get the craze because they didn’t have the new and improved hair crack we had and in the article she said she didn’t even think her hair was that great.…so poopiedo for her not being happy for us and whoevers trying to embrace some part of themselves in an age where synthetic,plastic,botox and lipo are in high regard.

Sara
Sara

I’ve been natural for a year, and I can see both sides of the debate. After I BC’d I was obsessed with my hair. I couldn’t stop talking about natural hair, thinking about it, reading about it. I was determined to try every styling product available. I browsed natural hair websites/blogs day and night. Looking back, it seems kind of obsessive, but I think it was a necessary stage of my natural hair journey. I completely understand newbies who are still at that stage. They need time to discover their hair, learn what works for them, and discuss the complex… Read more »

LadyV69

I don’t see where this is a big deal. As another poster said before, sororities exist for any number of reasons-based on religion, grade point average, even skin tone. How is a sorority based on hair any different? I can also see where this is an veteran vs. newbie issue. I understand that when a veteran went natural 15 odd years ago, the internet as we know it didn’t exist. As they didn’t have the resources that are available now, they were alone in the wilderness, so to speak. However, to hate on newbies for being excited about their natural… Read more »

karlyne
karlyne
Reply to  LadyV69

LOVE IT!

Bananamaria
Bananamaria
Reply to  LadyV69

THANK YOU ! You said it all !

Aisha
Aisha

Given our history and the challenges we’ve faced, if we can get together share and interact with one another who cares? I love the natural hair community and I have learned so much. For other races, ethnicities there are things that bring them together and for us it is hair. Its small but its a step. For the most part all of the hair stories/journeys sound the same. The person who made the statement sounds salted because there was no natural community when she decided to go natural. There are groups for women, scrap bookers, hikers, runners etc. So there… Read more »

AngelitaRenee
Reply to  Aisha

Great Point!

cashmerenapps
cashmerenapps

Quite frankly, I am DST, & this hair sorority doesn’t bother me at all. If there is a positive message in it, I don’t see why anyone would sweat it. If your not interested then keep it moving. I went over in ’87, I was a natural back on the late 70’s and had no clue about how to retain length, “protective styles” or the like. I had been permed since March 2010. I am quite grateful for the natural obssesion because it has led me to a wealth of information from a younger generation. My hair is healthier and… Read more »

karlyne
karlyne
Reply to  cashmerenapps

Checkmate!

AngelitaRenee
Reply to  cashmerenapps

Thank you for your comment…I got goose bumps 😉

Monisola

I can agree with anyone who comes together in order to uplift and empower people. The light skin and dark skin sororities do not do this…they simply reinforce the colorism held over from slavery. A natural hair sorority seeks to undo some of the negative messages black women have received about their hair due to racism. It is well intentioned and certainly better than the light skin vs dark skin crap, but it is still divisive. i think sororities in general are stupid because they breed elitism, click-iness and hierarchy among sisters. Anything that divides us is wrong…the natural hair… Read more »

karlyne
karlyne

1st I have never been a woman that wanted to belong to a sorority. I understand the meaning behind it all, but I can make my own way through life and what’s meant for me shall be placed in my path. With that being said.. no I would not be apart of a Natural Hair Sorority. But, to read women saying they are tired of being asked hair information, or tired of the hoopla is really sad to me. I don’t see it as a nuisance and no I haven’t been natural for 10+ years, but maybe if people did… Read more »

Pretdva
Pretdva
Reply to  karlyne

+ 1000000!!

AngelitaRenee

“We have to start somewhere! So why not with natural yes at times it can be over the top…but lets be excited about the outcome” First off I would like to say we are humans I think when we understand that it will not be a big debate so live YOUR life. I love the fact that naturals can come together. I have been natural all my life and it is refreshing to final see brothers, sisters, families, and communities come together for natural hair because I feel it is an open door or perhaps an introduction to self discovery… Read more »

karlyne
karlyne
Reply to  AngelitaRenee

The mic was passed on to a brillant Naturalista!!!!!

AngelitaRenee

karlyne *passes mic to lita*.….…… “YOU BETTA SAY THAT”

AngelitaRenee

Sorry and I am gone but I think because of this “movemet” or “obession” it is causing mass media and money making companies to rethink what they market and sale to use hint the products in “African American” hair product section.….……Basically “We’re not going to take it”.….…“Empowerment to take back our health”.…..Not only that but to see this movement on an international level.…WOW!!!!..Now that makes me even more happy.…“Sometimes we can’t put our selfish emotions in front of the bigger picture it will never work”

Knosoroma
Knosoroma

This article confirms that very little good comes from BET. Why would someone want anything that promotes healthier practices to be “gotten over”? Ways to live healthier is what the black community desperately needs. The natural hair “craze” is about having healthier hair practices and often leads people to develop healthier eating and lifestyle. Again, why should that be “gotten over”? As a vet/old head (10 years natural) I welcome the questions because I know how being more aware of my hair helped me be more aware of my entire body. If you enjoy being natural, why wouldn’t you want… Read more »

Florida Steph
Reply to  Knosoroma

I feel ya, Knosoroma. I’m an “old head” and I love to pay sistas compliments and encouragement when I see them natural, especially since I got a lot of less-than-nice comments when I did my BC. However, I have been less inclined to talk to people about their hair due to the recent ‘tudes that these women have nowadays. They have been too snarky lately so I shut my mouth. Makes me wanna say, in the style of Chris Farley, “well La-di-FREAKIN’-da!!!!” LOL

lee
lee

Once you said this was on BET’s website I was skeptical. Then I said just be opened minded and read it. She made some good points. With everything you have those that obsess and jump on the bandwagon. Being natural is not a fad or a craze for me; it is a way of life. My mother always said your hair is your crowning glory. I never really embraced that until I started to grow locks 8 years ago. I still admire the ladies with the chic perm hairstyles or those that rock braids. I just made a personal choice… Read more »

The Woman

First of all, I don’t even know why we’re comparing this to other sororities. From what I’ve read about it, any one can join. It’s not a college-only, exclude-relaxed-women type of thing. It’s more like joining a fitness club or vegetarian club or travel club. It’s just a reason for people with something in common–a strong appreciation for their natural hair– to belong to something. A community. As for the author of this BET article saying there “shouldn’t” be a need for this, or that it shouldn’t be a fad… that’s a very normative statement. Who says it shouldn’t be… Read more »

Kimberly B
Kimberly B

It’s a sorority…who cares?

BeautyIAM
BeautyIAM

First, I have to say the name of the sorority is cute. I really don’t get the hoopla about it. If you don’t care much for it then don’t join. I may join and I may not. Do I think that there are some things people do in the natural hair community that is unnecessary. Yes, but I just let them be. If it is working for them and they like it then I really don’t have anything to say. I have to be frank and say I’m finding so many naturals to be annoying with this “dream killer/negative nelly” attitude. Its… Read more »

Erika
Erika

Whoever wrote this article needs to seriously get a life. Why in the freakin’ world does she care if a natural hair sorority is formed? Here’s the solution: Don’t join it! Simple as that. I doubt that they’re begging her to, anyway. Don’t look down other people just cuz you’ve been natural umpteen years, blah, blah, blah. I swear, at times, us black women can be our own worst enemy.

Carla
Carla
Reply to  Erika

leilei
leilei

Why are women who “did it 10–16 years ago so BITTER?! Seriously…STFU. I do agree that this hair stuff is going TOO FAR though. We should be focused on hypertension, obesity, diabetes, heart disease, stroke…etc. that is running rampant in our communites. All we ever focus on is hair. Its a shame, especially when our bodies suffer. If you look like a can of busted biscuits or a sack of laundry, but you are running around in natural sorities, events and festival. YOUR PRIORITES are JACKED, boo boo. If we focused half as much attention on our health and weight… Read more »

Audrey
Audrey
Reply to  leilei

I don’t think she’s old. She says she did her BC at 15 which was 10 years ago, so about 25 years old I’d gather. Still, I kinda agree with your overall sentiment: Why be annoyed by newer naturals? I did my first BC at 18 years old (night of my first date, btw) and that was over 13 years ago. I’ve been natural (this time) for almost 7 years and I’m thrilled by all the new products and resources.

Todra
Reply to  leilei

This was such a great response (except for the obviously unnecessary ageism snottiness). There are far more important health issues that need to be addressed. I’ve had so many discussions about health and beauty through my business and my speaking engagements. And there are barely a handful of women of color who attend. My company deal with beauty from a healthy perspective (products, diet, lifestyle) and the arguments are so strong from black women who want to use crappy drugstore products despite many of the associated health risks. Yes, our hair is important, but not the most important thing.

Stacey
Stacey

Lord I just couldn’t read ALL the comments lol. I agree with the author. Wearing one’s hair the way it sprouts from the head shouldn’t really be considered revolutionary. My main complaint is the use of the word “Nappa”…for real? It just sound kind of silly to me. I’m a member of a sorority so I can’t really go in on someone wanting to be a part of a wider sisterhood, but couldn’t you have used another word?

Audrey
Audrey

I don’t do Greek. I didn’t even like being in a music fraternity… skipped all the meetings :). I guess if folks want to have another something to belong to, then fine. But I think it’s unnecessary. Maybe because I’m OK with who I am and how I look, re: wear my hair (not that someone who is all about the sorority isn’t, of course), and I have a lot of support IRL and online that I don’t feel I need to be a Nappa Kappa. But I realize that that’s just me and other women sporting natural hair may… Read more »

TheBeautifulOne
TheBeautifulOne

I read the first line and I was too through!! BOYCOTT B.E.T./ EBT

JaslynA
JaslynA

My only issue is with the word “Nappa”… first of all, that’s not even Greek. I’m left to assume its a spin off for nappy, which isnt sisterly at all. If your going to call yourself a sorority you must do it properly till the end. Other than that, pledge what you wish

ebncurly
ebncurly

The BET author seems a bit full of herself.… some women need support (a lot of it) to go against family, friends & significant others in the quest to be chemical free. I’ve been natural longer than the author and it has not ever been a complete love fest. These communities help with support / esteem building / fellowship and etc. Guess she was lucky and no COMPLETE STRANGER ever walked up to her to disparage her hair or family member ever gave her a rude look or comment on “needing a perm”. After nearly 12 years ‑in the north and south… Read more »

Fig
Fig

Black people worry too much about appearance. And please don’t bring up white people pressing us because if our hair. That ish has been over for some time now. I had a BIG ASS Afro and the only people who were on my case about it 24/7 were Black. I’m fair with green eyes and I even had women say to me why was I trying to be natural since I was 1/2 white. I’m not. My BFF told me, “fucking ’em, you know who you are, do what you want to do with it.” I went back to texturizing… Read more »

Kate
Kate
Reply to  Fig

Then why are you here?

Fig
Fig
Reply to  Kate

@ Kate ..Because I’m black, the internet is open and I can comment if I want to. Poor thing, you’re another bitter Black women. Thank God not all of us are.

Todra
Reply to  Fig

I beg to differ about the toxic chemicals. My company educates women on this very issue. There are tons of studies on the harm relaxers and other chemical processes cause. Because something doesn’t show up in your system immediately as a problem doesn’t mean it’s not causing health issues. I speak on these topics around the country. And the recent issue with Brazilian Blowout is a perfect example. Salon workers were getting nose bleeds and respiratory problems from working with it, but were continually told it was safe. When OSHA and international health organizations pulled samples, they found up to… Read more »

Fig
Fig
Reply to  Todra

The Brazilian Blowout is the only product you mention, and I agree. However, there is no conclusive evidence that getting your hair straightened or colored causes cancer or any other disorders (except mental ones, which are evident in our community). You write that you “know these things to be true”. No, you don’t. It is anecdotal. Hair and cosmetics are a gigantic industry world-wide, and if mainstream products were known to be harmful to a vast majority of people it would be an epic economic disaster. Therefore it is to the benefit of these companies to know that their products… Read more »

Lady Q
Lady Q

For me, going natural was almost a spiritual experience;a healing of all the insecurities I grew up with regarding the length of my hair, the hue of my skin, my weight, etc. It was an acceptance and realization that I was beautiful how God made me. I feel that if a group of women want to create a sorority that celebrates, brings awareness to, and shares excitement of that, I have no issues. Hopefully they are still respectful of everyone’s choice. Every woman has a right to the look that makes her feel beautiful-whether it be straight or nappy.

Ariana McDaniel
Ariana McDaniel

This is insane. If you don’t want to talk to someone then don’t but I think it is GREAT when black women find ANYTHING to converse about instead of giving each other glares of hatred or whatever. Things that bring us together as a people, when so much has been done to keep us seperated, should be praised. The natural hair “craze” is due to access to media that WE control and can get the word out which empowers women to do what they’ve always wanted to do, in some cases, which is go natural. The rise of these groups… Read more »

katie
katie

Seriously, stop making a big deal out of a bunch of nothing. There is nothing wrong with this and it isn’t hurting anyone. Another reason why I can’t take BET seriously.

Sugabelly

Better to be obsessed with your own natural hair than with someone else’s.

PeanutButta
PeanutButta

Well, I’ve been a natural for over 40 years, and I am absolutely delighted to see young women wearing their hair natural. It’s like seeing your children or grandchildren adopting something from your generation and making it their own. I for one love it and am secretly relieved that I’m no longer the only one wearing a ‘fro in my neighborhood! I think people should understand that it WAS a big deal to wear your hair natural back in the day (1960s and ’70s), as it meant you had a certain consciousness about your race and your place in the… Read more »

Carla
Carla

As a lifelong natural and someone who decided to embrace my curls and kinks almost 9 years ago (stop using heat), I personally am not excited about it. I have my blogs, websites, forums, etc to for that. I don’t understand however, why the author have to crap over other people’s experience when it comes to their hair. If you don’t like it, fine, but let other’s have their fun. Live and let live.

NAR
NAR

I remember the first time I bcd and then went back for my relaxer.….. With all of the possibilities we have with our hair, and the way life works- what happens when one of the ‘sorors’ want to perm their hair?

Todra

I think it’s a great idea. For too long it’s been all about relaxed hair being what’s beautiful. I think this just gives naturals a place to be together and strut their beautiful hair. People need to get over it.

Erica M.
Erica M.

This is my thing, everyone has there own personal reasons as to why they did or want to go natural. My reasons are because I’m getting older and the older you get, the thinner your hair is and just didn’t want chemicals in my hair anymore. I also feel that this or any other natural hair sorority/fraternity that comes about shouldn’t be getting this much flack! There are alot of women who have and what to transition need something that they can go to when in crisis about their hair. This is no different for when we go on youtube… Read more »

Cassiopeia
Reply to  Erica M.

Asha sista

Dena Medlin
Dena Medlin
Reply to  Cassiopeia

I love it Asha thats so true about us downing other women within the natural “movement” and what about the women that arent natural theyre talked about and downed to for choosing to do what they want to do to make they feel good. It took 40 yrs for me to decide to leave chemicals alone I cant beat people over the head because they choose not to right now.….….…..

Stephanie!
Reply to  Dena Medlin

I withdrew from a group on FB because I was so over the definition of natural. It’s almost as bad as discussing religion sometimes!

Lorri
Lorri

There’s not need to create a sorority to celebrate choosing to be natural. There are so many websites for women that allow conversations and meet ups to learn how to care for our hair. I am natural,already a member of the Divine 9, believe in the idea of acceptance and respect for everyone, but a sorority somehow misses the mark.

Cassiopeia
Reply to  Lorri

I am apart of the Divine 9 as well and from a historical standpoint, all of our Sororities and Fraternities Founder’s came together because they had one common goal/interest and they wanted to support and uplift each other around that goal/interest.

How is this any different?

Madamesiamese
Madamesiamese

I don’t understand the controversy. The group is not trying to rival traditional Greek organizations at all. It is a group that promotes health awareness/education in the Black community. They also promote supporting black businesses and community activism. Its about positivity, not about taking away from the sanctity of “The Devine 9”. I’m a member, I like it and have connected with others that are local to me and I’ve been natural for well over a decade. There are women of ages and walks of life there and it’s great to see BW encourage each other for a change. We… Read more »

Cassiopeia
Reply to  Madamesiamese

HOTEP

KD
KD
Reply to  Cassiopeia

I think its a great idea as well. You know its a shame but there are always going to be negative people out there who want to down others no matter how positive or inspiring the situation is. I don’t think there is anything wrong with what these young ladies are doing, at least its something positive. In this day where there is so much stress and hardships anything positive should be appreciated. I know everyone is not going to agree on everything, but when people,especially young people, are trying to do positive things we should stick by them and… Read more »

Sharell
Sharell
Reply to  Madamesiamese

I agree with you 100%. Why can’t we have one I think it’s a great idea”

Ann Noire

If we can’t make this kind of commotion over their mass programming of marketers for products that work against out natural beauty, why are we putting effort into criticizing a natural hair sorority.

How can we ignore and sleepwalk on standards of beauty against ourselves, but judge one that emphasizes our beauty?

That’s crazy! I’m not part of a sorority, but I have no opinions.

cocobakerchica
cocobakerchica

I’m not getting the controversy either. Isn’t the main idea of forming a sorority rooted in it’s very word(‘soror’ is Latin for sister)? A group of women in a community coming together and bonding over a shared interest. Then again, the beauty of being natural is NOT having to join a group! It is nice though, that there are more hair blogs and you tube vlogs to help both newbies and those of us who have been natural for a long time and looking for fresh ideas. What I do dislike about the natural hair movement are the extremely over… Read more »

Quietstorm
Quietstorm
Reply to  cocobakerchica

Now, I agree wholeheartedly about the pricing. It’s because more African American women are choosing to go natural. People have made billions of dollars off of black women obsessing over our hair for years. When I first went natural, I almost fell into this trap, then I realized that it didn’t cost much at all to care for my natural hair. Take care of yourself on the inside, it’ll show on your outside.

KD
KD
Reply to  Quietstorm

this is true, you can by natural oils like olive oil and coconut oil at Walmart and Freds and I guarantee they are just as reliable as all of the branded products with unneeded ingredients. I think for each his own, but before I went to relaxers my mom grew my brothers and sister and my hair with just washing and using Royal Crown grease before platting our hair up. All of us had healthy thick hair it didnt take much. My biggest regret know is putting chemicals in my hair but I am in the process of transitioning and… Read more »

StrandzofaDiva
StrandzofaDiva

Is it fair criticism?

To base a group soley on Natural hair can draw nothing but criticism. To tie that group to greek life can draw nothing but criticism. To have the overall stance of most naturals to feel: if all black women don’t embrace natural, they are white washed and self- hating can cause nothing but criticism. Fair? We reap back what we measure out. Until we celebrate one another for who we are and not judge one another for what we do, then and only then can fair criticism be determined.

Cassiopeia
Reply to  StrandzofaDiva

I went to the site and I didn’t see anything in regards to being “white-washed” or “self-hate”.… what i read was actually about self-love and support. And accepting your natural state of being whether it be hair, skin, facial structure or even cultural identity is accepting ourselves and other for “who we are.” But I can say that, it would’ve been nicer if they would’ve taken the original fraternal structure from our African ancestors of Kemet (Egypt) rather than the Greeks. Especially since the Greeks stole the fraternal orders from the Kemetic peoples but when they stole it, they didn’t steal… Read more »

KoilsNKurls
KoilsNKurls

I so agree with StrandzofaDiva! Of COURSE there is going to be controversy! Yes, a sorority is sisterhood, but clearly this is one based on a look! THAT and THAT ALONE is what bothers me and why I feel this natural hair sorority is pure garbage. ANYONE should be able to join a sorority. I doubt very seriously that relaxed females would be embraced in this. It is time for all this glorification of natural hair to STOP. It is ridiculous. This sorority is ridiculous. If you want natural hair support? JOIN CURLY NIKKI or some other blog that isn’t… Read more »

Nicole
Nicole

It may seem to the author that it is a phase… And maybe it is but we as black women have been inundated with ideas of what ’ good hair ’ is and now we all need to be re-programed. That’s what I feel these sites, sororities, clubs etc do for us. I believe it’s less likely about everyone needs to be natural and more about support, life help, and what to teach our young girls.

Cassiopeia

I think the author’s comments are slightly hypocritical. Whether dialogue should be as short as a chat or as long as a conversation is completely relative and subjective. The author has already graduated into a place of love and acceptance of ones self. I’m sure those who are just now getting to a place of loving themselves as they are will have other topics to dialogue on after 15 years, . Everyone’s journey is different and graduates to higher levels at different times… I am just happy that our people take a positive journey no matter when it happens and… Read more »

keenylicious

i definitely think that any type of natural hair “support” group is hella extra. there are a lot of hair forums out there that you connect w/ other naturals through, so i dont really get the point of making all these special groups. it just seems like a bunch of women who arent comfortable w/ their hair trying to do the most to *seem* confident about it. i’ve been natural for almost 4 years now, and i havent needed any support to wear something that’s growing out of my scalp. some of these women just need the confidence to wear… Read more »

bs1m0ne
Reply to  keenylicious

lmao @ a wooden carving of an afro!

Mo Merrell
Mo Merrell
Reply to  keenylicious

LMAO “i REALLY dont get what some ppl are getting their panties wadded up about. it’s just an internet sorority, theyre not sacrificing babies, or riding around harassing relaxed women. until someone spots them out on someone’s yard putting up a wooden carving of an afro, and setting it on fire, i’m not gonna get up in arms and offended about this” EXACTLY!!!

NaturalTxSisa
NaturalTxSisa
Reply to  keenylicious

Love Love your post keenylicious. The comment about the “wooden carving of an afro, and setting it on fire” is priceless. You have completely made my day. Most people need to understand that this group and others similar to it are an aid to people who decide to go natural because they realize what the chemicals are doing to their hair and their bodies. I went natural four years ago and years one almost two were a struggle because I had an image of how I wanted my hair to look and I could not achieve it. I have just found… Read more »

bs1m0ne

I wear my hair natural and have been for the bast 7 years. I can relate to the women with relaxed hair that feel ostracized by black women who choose to wear their hair natural. However, I think we’re missing the point here. I don’t know much about this sorority, but I do know this, there has been an invisible sorority for years boasting long straightened locks and touting beauty that one could only equivocate with a white woman’s hair. We all know people with natural hair that wear weaves to “fit in” or avoid the glances and comments from… Read more »

S.J.
S.J.
Reply to  bs1m0ne

Loves This!!!

NaturalTxSisa
NaturalTxSisa
Reply to  bs1m0ne

Well said…any the choir said…AMEN!!!

africanbeauty
africanbeauty
Reply to  bs1m0ne

on point sista

Kendra
Kendra

This reminds me of when white people complain about BET and ask where is the white people television. What they don’t realize is that almost every other channel and network caters almost exclusively to white people. But b/c it’s not could WET they don’t see shit. I consider this to be a privilege. I feel the same can be applied to the natural hair sorority. I think that some sororities do cater to a specific image for black women whether people are willing to admit it or not. So most black women will be relaxed, sporting weaves, lace fronts and… Read more »

Barbara
Barbara
Reply to  Kendra

Best comment by far. The cries against something so positive is astounding to me and the mean girl type mocking from naturals and relaxed as well has me scratching my head; so what EXACTLY in the mission statement do you find so objectionable?

Jolie
Jolie

As an 11 year natural who flat ironed for 9 of those years because I couldnt find decent natural styles, thank you newbie Naturals! Thank you for putting up all those YouTube videos to give me inspiration and new ideas!

Do I think a natural hair sorority is a bit extra? Yes, but so are regular sororities in my humble opinion. The forming of a natural hair sorority doesn’t affect my employment, my mortgage payment, or anything of significance. In other words, do you! This doesn’t harm or offend me in the least.

Lisa
Lisa

I don’t see why people ore getting upset about this sorority. That other naturals can meet other naturals in their community so that they can share on what products that they use because all products don’t work in every climate what might work in the NY might not work in CA. The climates are very different. People need to worry about this economy, jobs, homes, family and health and stop worrying or complaining about a group, someone wants to create. We need to concentrate on making this world better for all.

stella
stella

I think it’s fine. some dont understand why it necessary to go “overboard” about being natural…but when you still hear people using the phrase “good hair”…it is necessary. for decades, black people have learned whether conscious or not, that our natural hair isnt desirable. if people need to join clubs, do videos, have hair blogs…so be it. we’re so detached from our culture, many of us dont know how to care for our hair. any knowledge, i think, is fantastic.

Pecan Tan
Pecan Tan

Now, why am I not surprised that an article of this nature would be publicized by such a large and influential media venue with access to thousands of women of color. Not surprising at all. My question is would she be just as opinionated if it were a “creamy crack” sorority? I bet not a word would have been mentioned and instead its praises would have rang out strongly. I say, as long as the doll theory continue showing our children picking the silky, blond, white dolls over dolls that look like themselves, I say push on sistas! We need… Read more »

Mo Merrell
Mo Merrell

Well I agree with this person half way. I did my BC for two reasons, the first was to finally grow healthy hair seeing as I have had weave in for the past 6 yrs straight and relaxed hair since I was a teen, the second reason was to save money because I spent so much on weave. I can say that I enjoy seeing women talking about their short natural do’s especially when society has geared towards ALL Women having straight hair in order to be considered pretty. (I was actually denied to get into Club Liv in Miami… Read more »

Mo Merrell
Mo Merrell
Reply to  Mo Merrell

OOPS I MEANT IF YOUR HAIR ISNT LONG OR STRAIGHT OR CURLY.…

S.J.
S.J.

I find this sorority(sisterhood)interesting, especially since it is not a literal college Greek sorority, but an informative web site. I have worn my natural hair for almost six years. Unfortunately, where I live there are not many naturals. I watch a lot of YouTube videos and visit natural hair sites for hair tips and advice. I recently had my hair flat ironed and my stylist said that I am the only client she has with hair as natural as mine. She said this referring to my unheat trained natural 4b hair. I believe connecting with other naturals could be beneficial… Read more »

KeeKeeAllNatural

I personally don’t see what the big deal is…Why can there be a Natural Hair Society? There are so many other Societies & sororities that I feel like BET (with their ghetto televisions network, showing only the most hood-rat & abominable junk on TV) is winning over something will have no control of.

Student of Truth
Student of Truth

As a black male I’d like to add my two cents. I believe the natural hair movement to be positive. I think it has the potential to go overboard with sistas obsessing over their hair. A persons hair is an extension of their outer appearance and has the potential to lift ones self esteem. We as a people need to re-learn that our true beauty is internal. How we feel on the inside affects how we treat each other. I believe the natural hair movement can bring to the forefront the discussion of how black people feel on the inside.… Read more »

ScrewyHair

BET offering a cultural criticism is an oxymoron…”

That’s the best comment here. LMAO.

Student of Truth
Student of Truth

Women

ScrewyHair

I don’t see why there’s such an outcry against these girls. They’re providing yet another hub for black women and men to get interested in natural hair. And they’re promoting a hair choice that is THE most discriminated against on the planet–by both other races AND by its primary race. Why isn’t that a good thing? Have you watched any makeover shows ever? Every black woman gets a perm and weave as part of their “improvement,” perpetuating the mainstream notion that black hair is bad, which is already reinforced in many societies; I’ve been told by friends in corporate Nigeria… Read more »

Zina
Zina

I think you are correct. It is HYPE over nothing. It sounds as though people are against natural hair and shouldn’t be. Our hair is who we are. It was straight for the first few days to few months of our lives since it had lived in water for 9 months. Then our texture became apparent after that. I think, if you don’t like “natural” then you don’t like me. I am not going to play the fake game anymore. This is my hair, natural as it is. It is what it is and people need to stop being fake.… Read more »

Strandzofadiva
Strandzofadiva
Reply to  Zina

Zina’s comments are a perfect example of what I was speaking of!

Nappyme

Stupid controversy. It’s nothing more than a support group. The world is big enough for one more even if it calls itself a sorority. I think this group would do well to ignore the nay sayers and just do what they want to do. People will join (seems like they have a good start) or they won’t join. Who the hell cares if someone else doesn’t approve. If it’s not for you keep it moving and step on out of the way. Leave ’em be. There’s a lot of people who disapprove of Nappturality.com simply because it’s a renegade natural… Read more »

Aliumflowerchild
Aliumflowerchild

I’m tired of Black women making the choice to go natural a non-issue. If it’s a non-issue, why is airport security choosing to pat down Black women’s puffy twist-outs and Afros — yes their hair! — and not the sistas with straightened hair or folks of other nationalities? If it’s a non-issue why do Black family members ostracize other family members for making the choice to go natural? Why are Black women taking money they should be using for rent, mortgage payments, retirement savings and food and buying weaves? Young Black women who are more pressured to wear their hair… Read more »

Kim
Kim

Aliumflowerchild:

I agree with you wholeheartedly. I just want to cosign on to your argument that if race wasn’t an issue then why was American Airlines allowed to fire a woman in the late 80’s and early 90’s regarding her decision to wear braids. See Rogers v. American Airlines.

Carolyn Thomas
Carolyn Thomas

Yes it is a movement and it should be…just like all they other movements that have gotten us this far as a race.…I was blessed enuff to know my hair and love it bcuz my Mom didn’t relax me as a child..I did it in my late teens. A woman’s crown is her glory, we all know this…and it is a scary road traveled to BC your hair and walk naked in public without all the ornaments of “hair”…YES, we should love our natural born hair..we are unique…but where has that truly been allowed to happen?! There has always been… Read more »

Awanda
Awanda

Just another way to separate and cause problems between Black women.

Kirstin (Jadison03)
Kirstin (Jadison03)

At the end of the day the question should be asked if this is going to help your personal journey or not…there is no wrong answer cause it’s a personal choice. I for one am not just defined by my hair, therefore I don’t feel it’s necessary to join a “sorority”, I just have my personal limits. I’m a proud natural and I don’t think this is necessary for my journey but I don’t knock those who have joined or are going to join. The natural hair journey is filled with “personal” choices. No journey is alike. But I can’t… Read more »

Kim
Kim

The writer is entitled to her opinion and I think it’s great that she was able to realize at 15 that she wanted to wear her hair natural. However, I don’t think she needs to criticize a decision of a group of women who want to form a group around hair. People form groups around things that interest them all of the time. Moreover, the writer’s treatment of the alleged “natural hair” craze is superficial, as she is clearly ignoring the generational issues black women have had with beauty images in this country. She needs to get over herself. Lastly,… Read more »

ScrewyHair
Reply to  Kim

And a very valuable three cents it is. She really does need to get over herself and fix her hair LOL.

Tony Jean
Tony Jean

I love this forum. I have been “dyed, fried, and Jherri-curled,” but went back to what I was born with in 1994. I locked for 10 years and now try to wear as little hair as possible. Most PEOPLE obssess over their hair, don’t know if this dialogue will change that. However, if this is a phase, I hope it catches and sticks! As far as I’m concerned I will never perm or lock my hair again.…age made this little bit of hair I still have such a wonderful gift and I “cut it off monthly” with confidence and contentment.

jewellthief
jewellthief

not really surprised that this NONtroversy is coming from bamboozled entertainment TV.…

maybe its me, but the author sounds a bit jealous.…

Sherrie

Love the concept and would love to join the group.

lilkunta
lilkunta

no problem w the sorority but DEF change the name.
pi nappa kappa is not okay.

Kemesha
Kemesha

I am really not sure why the author is so bothered by this sorority.It really saddens me that we are always the ones to down ourselves, let alone other racial groups to. It doesn’t bother me that this group has formed being natural for four years now. I wish that this group had been formed when I decided to go natural you are highly discriminated against from your peers and others in society when you go natural so let them have their social group if it makes them happy.

Kim
Kim

REALLY?! THE SORORITY IS NOT TO SINGLE OUT OR DISCRIMINATE AGAINST ANY ONE! AT ONE POINT THE AKA’S WERE TALKED ABOUT BECAUSE PEOPLE SAID YOU CAN ONLY GET IN IF YOU WERE AS “BROWN AS A PAPER BAG” KAPPAS WERE TALKED ABOUT BECAUSE PEOPLE SAID YOU HAD TO BE A “PRETTY BOY”! ONLY DIFFERENCE I SEE BETWEEN US (AND YES I AM A PI NAPPA KAPPA MEMBER) AND ANY OTHER NATURAL HAIR GROUP IS WE GAVE OURSELF A NAME! I REALLY DON’T SEE WHAT THE BIG DEAL IS! IF YOU DON’T LIKE IT.….JUST STAY AWAY FROM US!! THAT’S THE WAY… Read more »

Rena Graham

I am amazed how these group women get attention. However,
It is normal to lose over a hundred hair strands a day, but it becomes alarming when suddenly you see your scalp peeking through. Hair loss that leads to balding is one of the common problems hounding a lot of men and even women.

Honolulu locksmith

I’ve read some good stuff here. Definitely worth bookmarking for revisiting. I wonder how much attempt you put to create this sort of great informative website.

Carley

Heya! I just wanted to ask if you ever have any trouble with hackers?
My last blog (wordpress) was hacked and I ended up losing a few
months of hard work due to no back up. Do you have any methods to prevent hackers?

Schüssler Salze

I love what you guys tend to be up too. Such clever work and
reporting! Keep up the terrific works guys I’ve included you guys to our blogroll.

Arlen

I know this if off topic but I’m looking into starting my own weblog and was curious what all is needed to get setup? I’m assuming having a blog like yours would cost a pretty penny?
I’m not very web smart so I’m not 100% sure. Any recommendations or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Gain weight pills for men

This is a really good tip particularly to those fresh to the blogosphere.
Simple but very accurate info… Many thanks for sharing this one.

A must read post!

Civil Engineers Softwares, Civil Engineering Designs

Woah this weblog is wonderful i love studying your articles. Keep up the good paintings! You realize, a lot of individuals are searching round for this information, you can help them greatly.

Spiele Key kaufen

I think the admin of this web site is really working hard in favor
of his web site, since here every information is quality based stuff.

Visit my homepage: Spiele Key kaufen

Taren Vidal

I want to start a blog on myyearbook but i cant come across the box on my profile.. I have made sure i have checked the box to show my latest blog in the manage profile boxes section.. But it really still wont show up.. Please help.. Is there any other way to star…

vergleich handyverträge

Way cool! Some very valid points! I appreciate you writing this write-up and also the rest
of the site is really good.

Have a look at my web blog; vergleich handyverträge

Rae
Rae

I don’t see the big deal… If you want to participate in hair forums/discussions, do it. If not, then don’t. To each his own.

For the past 30–35 years, black women learned to take care of relaxed or other chemically altered hair. Learning to care for natural hair is a process involving a lot of trial and error. People are eager to learn and others are eager to share. What’s wrong with that?

DrSelina
DrSelina

So, the author of the cited article is mad because Black women are speaking to each other and affirming each other for embracing our natural hair?? Are you kidding me. We are constantly bombarded with negative messages regarding of our beauty. I admit, I have only been natural for 3 years, but as I live in a VERY WHITE city, seeing another natural is affirming. Both and and the other natural benefit from the positivity of our interactions, as do our children or any Black baby who sees us celebrating each other. This author needs to reassess her life and… Read more »