How Often do You Manipulate Your Hair?

Avatar • Sep 1, 2011

Jessica says;

My question is simple. I’m curious as to how often your reader manipulate their hair! I’m trying to get a good balance going for myself. Previously I kept my hair in a style for 5 days before washing, detangling, doing a light blowdry and re-styling. But, judging by the amount of breakage (I have SUUPER fine hair!), every 5 days is too often. So now I’m trying to get an idea of what a good ‘manipulation frequency’ is for me. I’m not expecting your readers to subscribe anything for me… but I think just hearing various experiences would help me to get an idea of how people make their decisions.

Great question Jessica! Alright ladies, how often do you manipulate your hair for washing and/or re-styling. Share your process!

Cry
Cry

I’m doing twists every week after washing and detangling. I hope i could keep them for two weeks but after one they have really bad shape

SweetBonita

i have the exact same issue. i have fine strands that don’t take well to a lot of manipulation. i can pull on a strand of hair and it doesn’t take much force to break it. i do all the things one should in regards to hair health, including weekly washing, conditioning, detangling, moisturize and seal, and then usually two strand twist it for 5 days or so, an wear the resulting twist out for 2 to 3 days. however, when i get bored, i try a bit more styling, which may require a re-detangle some where in there. typcially i’ll… Read more »

trena
trena
Reply to  SweetBonita

mayb u need to add a protein treatment to ur regimen.…a balance of moisture and protein is needed.

Shelli

Too funny! I just published a post this morning on my blog about simple and quick protective styles versus more elaborate ones due to having fine hair! I love elaborate and intricate styles, just don’t think my hair is hardy enough to suffer the manipulation they require on a weekly or even bi-weekly basis. http://hairscapades.com/2011/09/01/simple-and-quick-protective-styles/ Once a week, I pre-poo, wash, condition/detangle and DC. If I’ve been lazy and didn’t work out too much, then I might stretch to two weeks. Once DCing is complete (check out my DC post featured on bglh today:)!!, I’ll either do a TnC or… Read more »

Ry
Ry
Reply to  Shelli

Such a beautiful bun!

Shelli
Reply to  Ry

Thank you Ry!!

TGL
TGL

I restyle daily (to moisturize and refresh the style), and usually cowash twice a week.

I don’t see this as too much manipulation for my hair, since I use my hands to do 95% of the work and I only use my brush to smooth my edges. If I’m wearing a braid out, I’ll re-braid at night (6 braids) and take the braids out and lightly fluff in the AM. If I’m wearing a bun, I’ll keep my hair in a loose bun at night.

A Dub
A Dub

I will definitely be watching these comments… Since I workout 5–6 days a week, I usually finger detangle, wash, DC, and twist my hair in an updo for 4–5 days. I then wear a twistout for 2–3 days and repeat the process. Mid-week, I rinse my scalp and re-twist everything making sure to seal the ends. I seal the ends with shea butter every other night or as needed. This process has worked for me so far, but I want to really get a longer no-manipulation period down while the twists are in. I expect as the weather gets colder,… Read more »

mangomadness
mangomadness

I finger-detangle, wash and style every 5–7 days. If I’m wearing a braid out, I re-braid every other day (or so) throughout the week. If I’m wearing a flat twist out or bantu knot out, I wear it for week without re-setting. If I’m wearing a bun or updo, I leave the style in for a week.

SP
SP

Maybe you should STOP blowdrying your hair EVERY time u wash it or style it.

I wash my hair once a wk, wear twists for like 4–5 days, then a twist out until I was the next sunday. If I have an updo I try to keep it for 2 wks.

but If breakage is a big issue, try styling every 7–10 days, and REALLY try less blowdrying. I NEVER blow dry my hair. Breakage isnt an issue for me. I would blowdry but If I did, it wouldnt be once a wk more like once a month or LESS.

Leena
Leena
Reply to  SP

I agree — even a light blowdry can break fine strands. I blowdry maximmum — once a month, if that.

Ari T
Reply to  Leena

I have FINE strands…like, can’t hold a twisted style for more than 2 days without looking a mess, will break if you look at it wrong, LOL! BUT I have seen significantly less breakage through finger detangling and I don’t have the time to let my hair air dry so I do use a blow dryer, but I do tension blow drying (no comb attachments or brushing, just let the air hit my hair to help it dry faster). I never lose hair with that method. And as far as manipulation: I have become a bun convert. They’re quick, easy… Read more »

napfrocurlzgirl

I’m growing out my hair so I don’t do manipulation. The only time my hands or a tool are in my hair are on wash day, which is once a week. From fall through winter, I wear my hair in twists from week to week. Spring through summer, I wear twist outs that last from wash day to wash day, so all I have to do is shake out my head each morning and go.

yoli

hey funny, today is my chosen manipulation (aka up-do!) day

i have locs and i usually manipulate them once a week or a couple of times biweekly. either on a day i don’t workout (like today) or a “special occasion” (lunch/dinner with friends)

Michelle
Michelle

It is very hard to not manipulate my hair. I am doing a protective style challenge now, and it is a “challenge.” I do workout five days a week so leaving my hair “up” is actually better for me so I want have to wash it daily. If it were “out,” I would have to do something to it. So right now, I manipulate once or twice a week, Saturday being my wash day and the other day just retwisting the unraveled twist. I try to keep my style for at least five days at a time.

K.
K.

I wash and twistout/braidout once a week and wear puffs in between when it starts to look “eh.” I might retwist/rebraid once during the week if I’m feeling froggy lol.

SunnyGrl
SunnyGrl

I have fine to medium strands. I manipulate my hair everyday. I cowash daily w/ Aussie Most and Mane n Tail or VO5 w/ soy milk protien if I feel like I need protien. Since Aussie has silicones, I wash twice a week. I only use my fingers. A comb has not touched my hair in a couple of months. My daily wash and gos consist of me putting a leave in in my hair, then coating with shea butter, then letting cool water hit my head one more (very quick) time to shake and go. The shea butter seals,… Read more »

SunnyGrl
SunnyGrl
Reply to  SunnyGrl

Oh, I’m a 4a with pen spring curls all over. Porosity is medium to high. So I need something heavy like shea to seal. Similar to the girl that writes naturalselection blog but my hair is finer, more course and my curls are smaller– pen spring. My routine sees growth that i’m satisfied with. 4.5 weeks post big chop (7mo transition) and im at collar bone length in back. bottom of eye length in front… don’t know if that’s retention or not. but im fine with it.

kristine
Reply to  SunnyGrl

I’m a 4a girl as well. My curls are tiny pen curls and I have found that shea moisture works best for my hair. I get breakage from doing the smallest things yet this past month I changed up a bit and noticed less breakage. I stopped washing my hair weekly and have gone to washing every three weeks. Meanwhile I wet my hair every night before I do my twists and I have stopped using a comb or brush all together — only fingers to detangle. Sounds crazy but my hair absorbs most of the products I use so… Read more »

Camille
Camille

I manipulate daily. My hair is still pretty short and twists don’t look good on me. I braid and moisturize just about every night and then put it up in an updo. That said, I still feel like I am figuring my hair out. It is still kind of aggravating.

ty
ty

I have thick hair and coarse strands, and I only manipulate once every 8–11 days. I wash, dc, and braid it up. Once dry (the next day, I don’t blow dry) I remove the braids and wear it out for 7–10 days. Then I repeat. I just stuff it in a bonnet @ night and fluff in the morning. I am a BSL stretched 4a with a lil 3c at my bang area (which gives me trouble, it doesn’t hold the braidout as long & looks a frizzy mess sometimes ‑___-)

truepeace
truepeace

I wash and style my hair every two weeks. Depending on the style, I will retwist or rebraid the hair after moisturizing once no more than twice a week. I typically wear the majority of my hair in pinned up styles like french rolls, pinned twists and braids, etc. I will take the pins out of my hair daily becuase I can’t stand sleeping with them in. I just repin in the morning and cover my hair at night with a satin or silk scart. I am not really skilled at intricate styles but I think they can result in… Read more »

Monisola

I have fine 4B/4C hair that tangles easily and hates being touched. Maintaining a good protien/moisture balance is key, so is low manipulation. for low manipulation: I wear yarn braids for 5 weeks at a time. This is the best way for me to get maximum protection, minimum breakage and maximum styling options. I moisturize every other day and seal three times a week with castor oil. I do a moisturizing deep condition every other week in the yarn braids, making sure to rinse well. I do a protien deep treatment at the end of the 5 week period to make… Read more »

mangomadness
mangomadness
Reply to  Monisola

I can actually see and feel my hair stretch a bit like an elastic band before it breaks. this is how I know I am maintaining a good protien and moisture balance.”

My hair does this and I don’t use products with protein in them. Interesting…

boa
boa
Reply to  Monisola

How do you moisturize every other day (i.e. what’s your regimen for that)?

June
June

Everyday, every single day. I washed/rinsed out my hair 2x a week when I had relaxed hair because of my workout schedule. There is no way *I* am going to go around for a week or weeks with my workout daily sweat. My hair has to fit my life not the other way around. So far no problems from manipulation (proteins are another problem), but if it means I have to do something that would be unpleasant to me for my hair to grow then I will either keep it short and when I am bored with that relax or… Read more »

ranuka
ranuka

I have to manipulate my hair daily, because water touches my hair daily. If I didn’t do something to my hair daily — it would simply lock — That’s how bad it is. It doesn’t have any adverse effect on my hair, though for it is now heading 14 inches. My hair just works itself loose from whatever style it’s in, and then gravitate towards each other. Sometimes it can be very frustrating because before, when i used to hot-comb my hair, I could just leave my hair for like a week or so, or even add braids and didn’t… Read more »

Keisha
Keisha

I just started nursing school this week so I wear a bun 4–5 days a week, which is beneficial for my hair. the only thing I do every morning is re-gel the edges for a smooth look and I use the palms of my hands instead of a brush, to smooth the edges back. Saturday afternoon or evening i’ll wash, moisturize & seal my hair, then put in 4–6 two strand twist. Monday morning I unravel the twist and gather my hair into a bun which I’ll wear until friday or saturday

Keisha
Keisha
Reply to  Keisha

just to add… Im’a real generous with my moisturizer so I only do a “full” moisture & seal on my intial wash day, after that I moisture & seal my ends only as needed which would on the 3rd day or i’ll baggy my hair and let the product thats was already in my hair “reactivate” itself, hope that makes sense.

mjshegog
mjshegog

3c-4a ish I generally do a single d‑etangle with conditioner everyday and put it in a style for the day. I try to do protective styles most days, but sometimes the curls just have to be free.

Joy
Joy

I manipulate my hair once a day and co-wash twice a week. From being a part of this wonderful site, I’ve learned how to and am brave enough to wear my hair in two lovely twists, which are very protective for my hair. I have very dry skin so I apply my own elixir to my scalp and massage it twice a week.

Once this harsh summer is over, I’ll let my curls flow freely again.
[img]http://bglhonline.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/French Twists.jpg[/img]

Angie
Angie
Reply to  Joy

Your skin is gorgeous

rw
rw

about every 3 days i co wash and twist, once a week i detangle

naturalatte

I am a 4c natural beauty and I find that the combination of protein and daily moisture works wonders for natural hair. If I wear my hair up in twists or braids for 3 or more days without taking them down, my hair gets very dry and sheds badly. I have been through much trial and error and I have lately been wearing my hair in ponytail, bun style and my hair actually seems to enjoy the quick daily combing, detangling and I use a spritz made of water and Aloe vera juice and then seal the moisture in I… Read more »

dawn
dawn

aprox. once a day. if by manipulation you mean combing, then that i don’t do but maybe once a wk. minimizes breakage. but every day i’ll restyle it, either with a french braid or a balled up ponytail or i’ll just wear it down. my most common low manipulation everyday style is the butterfly clip.
i manage to retain length fairly well doing things this way

FrizzyBobbedCutie
FrizzyBobbedCutie

Just do what is nessasry. You don’t need to obsess over a regimen like some of these women.
I have tight frizzy ringlets that are in optimum health without all these ridiculous products and protein treatments (which you dont need if you eat enough protien in the first place.) this is my very simple routine:

shampoo every two weeks