Hair Journey Discoveries: How I Achieved More Length and Healthier Natural Hair

Avatar • Sep 5, 2011

Afro 1

by Cipriana of UrbanBushBabes.com

I love afros, I love huge humongous can’t walk thru the door disturbing the dinner table next to you can hardly hold up your own head afros but unfortunately for me rockin an afro on the daily is committing suicide for my strands but years ago you couldn’t tell me NOTHING!!! The afro was my daily and I mean everyday style and wow did my strands act accordingly and not for the better. The featured picture above is of me (about 5 years ago right before my third and last relaxer in which most of my hair broke off immediately after the first application) with good friends (from left to right), singer/rapper TK Wonder (my sister and bestie), Photographer Quazi King, me and Fashion Designer/Make- up artist Candice Veerasammy. The afro you see in the pic was pretty much my staple for a couple of years and because of this my hair began to deteriorate.  Now everyone’s hair is different obviously and I would never choose to knock someone else’s preference in the way they choose to style their hair but because of the extremely curly, kinky 4b‑c texture of my strands coupled with density that defies the word thick and fine strands that you would need a microscope to see individually (well maybe that is a bit of an exaggeration but you get my drift), let me breakdown and explain why the afro for me to rock on a daily basis is death for my strands.

DA: During the Afro

A complete breakdown of my past daily afro routine and the results that followed.

• High Manipulation: My hands were constantly in my hair trying to mold the perfect fro therefore I would constantly pull and tug on my strands to give my fro shape and since shrinkage is a huge factor when it comes to my strands the tugging action was on a constant basis to achieve more length.
  • No Protective Styling: Protective styling for me in the years of DA (during the afro) was pretty much non-existent which created havoc on my strands. I noticed my hair became a lot drier and prone to breakage. My hair may be fragile but it is not weak and there was no reason for my strands to be snapping off because of constant split ends and excessive dryness.
  • Over use of products: The act of placing oils constantly onto my strands was my way of producing less of a desert like feeling amongst my strands which in return only resulted in more dryness because of the smothering of product overload.
  • Wet detangling: The curlier the hair the more susceptible your hair is to breakage. This by no way translates that your hair is unhealthy but just means more fragile because at every curling point along your strand is a point of potential breakage and coupled with water which makes your strands even weaker because now your hair is absorbing water which has added weight to your strands which causes them to stretch. All this stretching along all your points of potential breakage with added manipulation of pulling during detangling can cause high risk of breakage but like anything in life there are those with kinky textures who prefer wet detangling but lawd knows I am not one of them.  It really just depends on the individual.
  • Excessive Tangled Strands: Because of the fine state of my strands wearing my hair out daily is not ideal. I had no protective styles to wrangle my hair in and contain tangles into sections which left me with a huge mass of tangles to deal with versus wearing my in some form of a protective style such as twists or braids that makes detangling especially dry detangling much more manageable.
  • Deterioration of Length: With the daily manipulation, no protective styling, wet detangling and just rockin of the afro daily the length of my hair in the featured picture (even though I loved the length featured) was about the most my hair was able to retain

The state of my hair changed tremendously for the better when I began to exercise the complete opposite of all of the previous mentioned which in turn created less manipulation more length, thickness and health.

I am hoping in sharing my hair journey , the discoveries and mistakes I have made along the way that this will just enable others on the path of an easier and less frustrating journey. Trial and error along our hair journey only creates a destiny of finding a regimen that works for you but hey sometime cliff notes along the way ain’t too bad either.

What have you discovered along your journey that helped you retain more length or increased health of your hair?

Maya

It makes me sad to see posts like this that basically condemn afros as a terrible state for people to wear their natural hair in. While it may be true that there are risks to wearing your hair out, that doesn’t mean there’s no way to wear your hair in an afro healthily. After I’d read enough posts like this, I put my hair into twists just to see what all the fuss was about, and after only a few days had some of the worst tangles of my life as some of the twists started to lock. (I guess… Read more »

Black Girl With Long Hair
Reply to  Maya

I understand your frustration, but the author is sharing her personal experience. And she never prescribes it for all naturals: “Now everyone’s hair is different obviously and I would never choose to knock someone else’s preference in the way they choose to style their hair but because of the extremely curly, kinky 4b‑c texture of my strands coupled with density that defies the word thick and fine strands that you would need a microscope to see individually (well maybe that is a bit of an exaggeration but you get my drift), let me breakdown and explain why the afro for… Read more »

June
June

I think Elle from the Quest for the Perfect Curl blog is one natural that has retained amazing length from having it out for most of her journey. Also, Cass from the naturalselectionblog.com. There are some others, but I cannot remember their names.

Black Girl With Long Hair
Reply to  June

I LOVE Elle’s hair!! I wonder if she’d be down with doing a feature.

Darcus Williams
Darcus Williams

Because the articles title was “SIX REASON’S AN AFRO MAY NOT BE A GOOD IDEA”…It should have been titled “SIX REASONS AN AFRO WAS NOT A GOOD IDEA FOR ME”. The title and content of your article is very misleading. Of the few Natural internet sites available I’ve noticed that this site leans toward coveting Longer Hair (as the title “Black GIRL with Long Hair” implies. So for the rest of us Sisters who choose to “ROCK THE FRO” and have our own hair to prove that your hair does not break off, dry up, and/or fall out.….Let Us Move On!

Cipriana

Hey Darcus, as I have mentioned before no one is debating the beauty and glory of the afro. The description for the article states “6 reasons why the afro may not be a good idea” May Not. I can see why you may have been upset but this was just regarding my hair goals and what I wanted to achieve which was length and I was not able to retain length wearing an afro day. That is why I stated that I know this does not pertain to everyone and as far a the title of this site “Black Girl… Read more »

Tamara
Tamara
Reply to  Cipriana

omg!! are you cipriana from Urbanbushbabe? You guys are amazing and are inspiring me to go natural. Love your hairstyles too..

JJ
JJ

Sorry but your comment is really unfair on Cipriana since the title says “MAY NOT” — nothing misleading there, seriously. If your argument was valid then all posts should end with “…FOR ME” because even as Cipriana mentioned it was from her experience as a black girl with fragile hair who wanted to grow long hair, I don’t know how much more clearly she could have put it. If the site is called black girl with long hair and a lot of people have long hair as a goal, is that not their prerogative? Furthermore I like Cipriana, Kimmytube and… Read more »

herlucidsKy
Reply to  Maya

“It makes me sad to see posts like this that basically condemn afros as a terrible state for people to wear their natural hair in.” The author of this article is far from condemning afro’s, she is clearly stating what works for her hair. Cipriana loves afro’s but realized that wearing afro’s will not allow her hair to reach the desired length and health due to her fragile texture, that’s all. In no way is she claiming that what she is doing is the only way to care for afro textured hair. Everyone knows that each head is unique so what… Read more »

Reply to  herlucidsKy

I couldn’t have said it any better herlucidsKy :DDD Yes my exact sentiments, my intentions are to help others not limit in any way and I would never condemn others for their hair choices.

JJ
JJ
Reply to  cipriana

Cipriana, you don’t even have to explain yourself, the post was 100% clear. And heck yes to dry detangling for those of us whose hair can’t handle wet detangling.

BeautyIAM
BeautyIAM
Reply to  Maya

Yeah, she is definitely not condemning afros. I am also one of those people who chooses not to wear afros that often because they are simply not practical for my hair. Although I really liked wearing my hair in an afro (and have a friend that keeps begging me to wear my hair in an afro), I realized it was not beneficial for my hair. I have also been relying on protective styling to just keep my hair healthy. I think it is imperative when reading other peoples regimens to understand that that persons regimen may not work for you… Read more »

1Nikki
1Nikki
Reply to  BeautyIAM

I realized after about 2mos after big chopping that an afro was not my friend either. I love the look too, but my hair is basically like Cipriana’s I have lots of hair but it’s mostly fine and curls up tightly. So even with very short hair I had a ton of tangles whenever I tried to do a wash & go or wear an fro. Plus my hair just doesn’t retain moisture that way. I immediately began to do protective styles and my hair flourished. & whenever I wear my hair out I usually do a twist-out. I pretty much… Read more »

Reply to  1Nikki

Hey 1Nikki so glad to hear you have found a routine that is working 🙂 Just wanted to slide in a little tip, whenever I dry detangle I use oils as well. Dry detangling on super dry hair without oils or you can even use your favorite conditioner is a Big Ahh Hell NO for me; I just interpret dry detangling sans water.

ScrewyHair
Reply to  cipriana

I think it would be helpful for you to update the post to add that you rely on oils for dry detangling. That may be where a lot of the confusion is coming from and most people don’t read all the comments to see you mention it there.

Cipriana
Reply to  ScrewyHair

Hey ScrewyHair 😀 The only reason why I didn’t include oils when dry detangling is because I didn’t really go into detail of all the changes in my regimen. I actually have many post on my site about what I use to finger detangle and all the details of how my regimen has changed. The point of this article was my “hair journey discoveries” to explain the mistakes I made and when I realized that they were actual mistakes for my hair. I use to not use oils on my hair when dry detangling and this process took forever but… Read more »

Reply to  BeautyIAM

Hello BeautyIam 😀 Yes, I find it sad that people are so quick to judge a regimen that has had success for another but not themselves. Do I wish I could wear a huge afro everyday ummm YES but since I want to retain length this is not any option so what did I do? I found a style that makes me just as happy while eating my damn cake too!

Reply to  Maya

Hello Maya, there was no ill intent by my words. As I stated and have many times before, the afro is one of my all time favorite styles. I mentioned as well it was one of my staple hairstyles for years but did not work for ME since I wanted to retain length for my hair! In writing this I just wanted to share with other fellow naturals who may have a hard time retaining length that protective styling may be an aid in retaining more length. Same as my sentiments for wet detangling. I would never knock someone for… Read more »

steph
steph
Reply to  Maya

I know seriously! Not everything works for everybody!
You can tell from her picture that she has a very unique grade of hair, I’ve never really seen that hair type before. It lays flat (instead of standing up), it is heavy (has weight) and it is resistant to dry detangling.

I could never follow these rule, my hair is light cottony and very fragile. i’d be bald if i took her advice.

this article is a little misleading.

Jasmine
Jasmine
Reply to  steph

Um, how is it misleading if she’s talking about HER OWN experience! That’s like asking someone how they do their hair, and then saying that it’s ‘misleading’.

I really don’t like this mentality in the natural hair community where there’s no tolerance to hear an experience different from one’s own. How does it diminish your regimen in any way to hear of how someone else is (successfully) managing their hair?

And if you are so concerned, why not send in your regimen to be featured on BGLH?

Guest
Guest
Reply to  steph

What are you even going on about her hair laying flat instead of standing up or it being heavy? NO to both. Her hair is appearing to be “heavy” and to lay flat because it is VERY VERY long. You can google pics of her when her hair was shorter and you can see it standing up in an afro. But don’t mind me. Claim her hair is unique so you can dismiss some of the very sound tips she has shared. Smh.

JJ
JJ

OH! My hair crush lol!!!
I am on a protective style challenge till December, lets see how it goes.

Reply to  JJ

Hey JJ thank you so much and let me know how it goes. The other half of Urbanbushbabes (my site), Nikisha might be taking on that challenge herself! 🙂

mangomadness
mangomadness

Finger-detangling damp hair before shampooing and washing in twists has made caring for my hair easier and lessened breakage markedly. Re-braiding every other day (or pineappling) helps me wear my hair out 90% of the time with no ill effects.

Reply to  mangomadness

Hey Mangomadness I am so glad you have found a routine that works for you. I wish I could wear my hair out while still retaining length on a daily basis but I found a very happy solution with loose twists 🙂

Courtney
Courtney
Reply to  mangomadness

I did that for a while and it really did help reduce the knots and my hair is pretty fine and fragile.

Khy
Khy

Last year I learned that I retained more length doing protective styles. Where I lived last winter, it got very cold. It was the first time that I experimented with wigs and did the full-on, DIY protective style challenge. I wore my hair in twists (which always end up in mini-twists and are the devil for my hair), buns and every other imaginable style to keep my ends protected. When spring hit, I noticed I retained more length than previous years.  I also agree with Cipriana on her opinion of the afro. I have 4c kinky texture and it was… Read more »

Khy
Khy
Reply to  Khy

Oops.…can’t get the pic to upload.

Black Girl With Long Hair
Reply to  Khy

Khyla, how long did you keep your protective styles in for? And which protective styles worked best for you? Also, how did you moisturize your hair when it was in the protective style?

Khy
Khy

Twists, for about a month each time I did them. Buns & wigs about 2 weeks at a time with a wash in between. I moisturized as needed, usually about every day or every other day. When I first do my twists, I use a shea butter mix or Shea Moisture smoothie. To re-moisturize I would spritz with water and seal with shea butter or the Shea Moisture.

I forgot to mention earlier, I wore hats too. I would put my hair in big twists that I knew I wouldn’t wear out and throw on a hat.

Reply to  Khy

Hey Khy first congrats on a successful move. I just moved myself but it was an apt above my old one so nothing in comparison to yours, lol. Yes I have to use oils as well. I guess everyone has their own definition of what dry detangling means but I could never dry detangle without oils. I always interpreted dry detangling sans water. Khy also tiny twists are murder on my hair as well just because my hair tangles so fast. If you want to wear an afro you go on head girl but for me the only reason I… Read more »

kendria
kendria

OMG love it. She looks like the model in the new kmart commercial

deelala1925
deelala1925
Reply to  kendria

She is in a Kmart ad. She blogged about it . That’s her.

Reply to  kendria

Yes that was meeeeeeeeee, lol. Thank you ;DDD

napfrocurlzgirl

I have had successful length retention through no- to low-manipulation and wearing my hair in twists about 6–9 months out of the year. I only wear it loose in summer. I also deep condition, wash and condition once a week.

Shelli

I just LOVE Cipriana’s hair. OMGosh, it is so freakin’ GORGEOUS! I remember her icon feature from a few months ago. Her twists are amazing and look like “out” hair to me too! So, it’s like, she gets the best of both worlds. Ughh … just hair lust!! LOL!!

Black Girl With Long Hair
Reply to  Shelli

Lol! I love her too! So glad that she’s allowing us to re-post her content here on BGLH 🙂

cipriana

Yaaaaaaay, I am beyond excited!!! I have always loved bglh and is one of my favorite sites!!! Thank you for wanting to repost :)))

Reply to  Shelli

Haha thank you so much Shelli. Yes I have found a very happy medium my “best of both worlds” with my loose twist. To be honest if I didn’t find this protective style I would still have a case of some serious afro envy, lol.

Shelli
Reply to  cipriana

And you’re sweet to boot?!?! C’mon, don’t be perfect too;-)!

Reply to  Shelli

OMG, thank you so much:DDD but Shelli don’t catch me when I’m hungry, lol.

Efuru
Efuru

Very interesting article and a lovely contrast to youtubers like cynthiarf who mainly did wash and gos (with the occasional twist/braid out) and attained crazy length, it shows that there is more than one way to the much coveted long hair so if one method doesn’t work for you, there are still other options.

June
June
Reply to  Efuru

The consistent message I am getting from all these seemingly conflicting stories is ‘be gentle with your hair’. It is a simple message that cannot be stated enough.

LBell
LBell
Reply to  Efuru

I followed (a variation of) cynthiarf’s method and also retained a surprising amount of length…and I was initially VERY skeptical because like many here I believed that after a certain length my (mostly 4b, fine-stranded, very tightly coiled) hair couldn’t be worn in a WNG. Reading this article, part of me wanted to yell AFRO HAIR DON’T CARE (lol)…but unfortunately I know where Cipriana’s coming from and I have to agree. I was wearing a picked-out ‘fro for part of this summer but it really is murder on my ends so I stopped. Historically protective styles have worked really well for… Read more »

Reply to  LBell

Enjoying your hair is the number one priority, LBell you hit the nail on the head! Without enjoyment or love, whatever your hair goals may be they will be unreachable without it! 🙂

Efuru
Efuru
Reply to  LBell

Before I got a major haircut in Feb, I retained length doing braidouts exclusively in the winter time so I understand.

Reply to  Efuru

Thank you and yes, very true that was the point of my article just to show people what has worked for me. Never would I ever say everyone should do this or this would be a disaster for the entire natural community, lol.

Efuru
Efuru
Reply to  cipriana

LOL, disaster indeed! I’m very lazy with my hair and I commend anyone that can put in more than 20 twists at a time (at this point I start whinging and carrying on) and create such fascinatiing buns (^_^)

Cipriana
Reply to  Efuru

Thank you 🙂 I will take “fascinating” hair buns anytime, lol. Thank you again 🙂

Efuru
Efuru
Reply to  Cipriana

LOL. I figured that was better than ‘soft and fluffy like a cloud!’ but your hair is beautiful regardless 😀

Thembi
Thembi

My hair texture is not quite like her’s but for the past 3 months I’ve been trying to make up for a botched trim by cutting down on manipulation and its really working. Everyone’s hair is unique and yada yada yada. I appreciate this advice and although I don’t know what I’d do with as much hair as Cipriana has I will definitely meet her halfway with any advice she has to offer! By the way, does anyone have an opinion on what I guess I’d call “horizontal detangling”? I usually dry detangle before I dampen my hair to avoid getting… Read more »

Reply to  Thembi

Hey Thembi, I just wanted to say I know exactly what you mean by “horizontal detangling” (I think, lol). Since I finger detangle my twist, after I unravel one I will separate horizontally first at the root to the end. I have found much success with detangling this way 🙂

JJ
JJ
Reply to  cipriana

I do exactly the same thing lol — I wondered if there was a name for it.

S1MNICITY

LHM This woman’s hair is sick!!!!! I’m lazy… The best I can do w/ regards to protective styling is wear wigs. I don’t trust anybody with my hair and I don’t have the patience to sit for 7–14 hours braiding my hair. At it’s current length in order to have a presentable result the braids/twist have to be small so for now I choose to wear my hair loose (wash and go puffs). As long as I keep it mositurised it doesn’t tangle too much… I mist two/three times a day w/ a mixture of aloe vera juice, KCKT and jojoba… Read more »

Reply to  S1MNICITY

Thank you :))) I hear you about the hours, lol also that was one of the main reasons for doing my own hair because in the end no one can know your own hair better than you. Someone may know more info on textures as a whole but no one can know the hairs on your head like you. It just takes time and a wanting.

Zyaran
Zyaran

I think afros are good when you’re in the TWA stage and it’s not that much of a big deal to where them out all the time. But anything longer than 5 or 6 inches yeah “PS” are very much recommended.

But check out this gorgeous color on this short afro, love her makeup.
Her youtube channel is “kelmanzia” titled why is her hair orange

httpv://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WkQt-DCmJvY&feature=channel_video_title

Zyaran
Zyaran
Reply to  Zyaran

ETA: kelzmania

Reply to  Zyaran

Ooooooh loving her hair color and makeup as well!!!

Cheryl
Reply to  cipriana

Ha ha! I got her hair color when I tried a blonde henna! I’m too dark to wear it but it looks FAB on her. Now I have dark, dark blonde.

Shak

OMG, I’ve run into the same problems when I’ve worn my hair in an afro. It’s like I can only do it for a short period of time (no way is it more than 1‑day hair for me without it drying out quickly) and I just could not understand it so I’m going back to my protective styling that I did all of last summer. I just want to keep it simple.

Reply to  Shak

Hey Shak, I now look at afros as hair candy. You can have it once in a while but too often and problems start arising but that again is JUST FOR MY HAIR, lol. I love afros my mom had a fierce one back in the day. Long Live Afros!!! 🙂

ASilverStorm
ASilverStorm

I must say my hats off to you. Two yrs ago I went all the way down into a fade at the pleadings of my daughter and her ” au natural” self. I kept my hair in waves thru a conditioning gel,and loved the worry free world of all elements.However it grew back so fast that after two yrs of length I gave back into the relaxers.The massive thickness & partial wavy+kinky was no longer what I could manage with arm & shoulder nerve damage.No onene would help me comb or wash my hair.All of that to say,I do miss… Read more »

Cipriana
Reply to  ASilverStorm

Oh wow ASilverStorm, I couldn’t even imagine washing and detangling my hair with nerve damage in my arms so for you to at least attempt it, huge kudos to you!!! Thank you and your support means so much!!!

Noirelle
Noirelle

I think there needs to be a whole post devoted to detangling!!! Thanks Cipriana 🙂

Cipriana
Reply to  Noirelle

That would be a great post Noirelle and your welcome 🙂

Teeka
Teeka

I want to thank Cipriana for a very interesting post. It comforts me to see that someone has had a similar experience to mine. My hair texture is similar to Cipriana’s and I find that the longer it gets, it becomes a nightmare to wear out. It just becomes a frizzy, tangled mess! Now my issue is that I am lazy lol and not totally committed to the work it takes to do protective styles. So, I am considering cutting my hair short. But now that I see how beautiful and long her hair is, I am reconsidering! Anyway, I… Read more »

Cipriana
Reply to  Teeka

Hey Teeka, I can relate. Unfortunately wearing my hair out produces the same results. I don’t mind frizz but its those damn tangles, lol. As far as what I did to reverse the damage, I did the exact opposite of the first 4 steps :),

Cheryl

Your hair is BIG and BEAUTIFUL! The more I see of natural hair, the more I’ve come to love and admire it. It’s regrettable that those of us age 40+ grew up hearing that the nappi-curliness of our hair was a bad thing!  I’m just 4 months into my TOTALLY natural hair journey (OK minus the L’Oreal for the gray).  And quite honestly, I’m so amazed by my curls. How they coil and snap back when I pull them straight with my fingers. I never ‘played’ with my hair before but now I can’t keep my hands off the healthy, satiny spirals.… Read more »

Cipriana
Reply to  Cheryl

Cheryl, thank you for taking the time to read. I was the same way when I transitioned for the last time. I couldn’t keep my hands out of my hair because I loved my natural texture so much. I’m so glad you can celebrate your hair and have support in doing just that! Thank you so much. Truly appreciated! :DDD

tamika
tamika

[img]http://bglhonline.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/3.jpg[/img]
i was natural here but i got weak so to speak and relaxed my hair it was horrible im 11 months from my last BC and i just gotta say natural hair is awesome..i hope to rock my side pony soon

Cipriana
Reply to  tamika

Wow Tamika you hair is BEAUTIFUL! I’m sure you will be rockin your side ponytail in all it’s glory in no time 🙂

malva
malva

Cipriana — Glad to read that dry detangling means detangling with oils! Have you found the one/some oils work better than others? I’ve been using coconut, but am not sure if something else would give more slip. What do you mean by LOOSE twists?
Thanks — m

Carla
Carla
Reply to  malva

Grape seed and olive oil gives in a lot of slip. I use it all the time in conditioners and detangling sessions.

Joy
Joy

This is a wonderful article! I wish I had this info prior to going natural but it’s good to know…even now. This entire thing a continuous learning process that happens over time, if you pay attention. I have very dry skin and curly hair. Even though I would oil my scalp my fro stayed drier than dry. It wasn’t until I started to pay attention to how I was actually treating my hair that it began to grow. Treating my hair differently when wet has made a tremendous difference and this new (to me) protective styling thing has already garnered… Read more »

Kate
Kate

Why are people soooo attached to others wearing their hair in a fricking AFRO. Not everyone even likes afros. Sheesh.

Ashley
Ashley

I agree with the majority of this post. I enjoy learning from others as well as through trial and error. I have really thick 4a hair and wearing a wash ‘n go afro caused my hair to be a hot tangled mess. Twist outs and braid outs have been the best thing that has happened to my hair. I also enjoy wearing protective styles now and my hair has changed for the better. Now, I don’t believe dry detangling is good for my hair AT ALL. I honestly don’t know how a person with 3c or 4a kinks and curls… Read more »

trackback

[…] and go to numerous blogs for inspiration. The infamous blog BGLH is my go to source – this post in particular by Cipriana encouraged me when I was feeling down. Not to mention BB&B – […]

SA
SA

I understand how twists (used alone, not pinned up like yours are in the picture Cipriana) are elongating but I don’t really think they are protective styles given that your ends are exposed just as much as they would be witha wash and go. I also have short hair still (it’s just reached my earlobe curly on my nape stretched out) so bunning isn’t really an option yet. Do you have any protective style suggestions for people with shorter hair

Ronnie
Ronnie

Some people might be acting oversensitive here. Cipriana has tailbone or hip-length hair now and many of us would love to have natural hair that is at least mid-back length or the length of Cipriana’s hair. The reality is that some of us do not. While the numbers are growing, long hair is still not the norm in our community. It’s just not. I still see mostly short or medium length hair on the heads of Black women and girls around me in the city, the suburbs, my kids school, etc. Cipriana wrote of her own hair experiences, experiences that… Read more »

A.C
A.C

I personally do not care for the way I look in twists. I’ve had them done several times, by different people and I just don’t like them on me. BUT, I will say that when I was transitioning, cornrow styles with a phony pony puff on the back really kept my hair very soft and moisturized. And I am not opposed to that as a protective style, especially during this time of year. But now that my hair is fully natural, I can’t get any stylist who will agree to braid my hair without the use of heat (i.e blowdrying).… Read more »