Could ‘Deep Conditioning’ Be a Myth?

Avatar • Sep 20, 2011

By Jc of The Natural Haven

Could deep conditioning be a myth? I was watching QVC (uh huh), when a trichologist (hair scientist) was asked about leaving a conditioner in hair for longer for more of an effect and his reply was, ‘It is formulated to get to maximum potential in 5 minutes. You can leave it on for longer but not for added effect. ’ At that point I really began to wonder why is it that my hairdresser at the time always recommended deep conditioning for 20 minutes at least once a week? Is it pointless?

In my search for an answer I came across a post on thebeautybrains.com which contained a letter from a trichologist Barry J Stevens who described deep conditioning as ‘wishful thinking’ . I don’t really know the authenticity of this letter but it made me even more interested to find out the fact from fiction.

First step, what really happens when you condition your hair?If you use shampoo, then what you first do is remove excess oils and grease from your hair leaving you with a clean shaft. What DOES NOT happen is ‘opening of the cuticle’. I thought I should draw some of this out, just incase people’s eyes start glazing over.

So, what can open up the cuticle? Commonly, chemical processing of hair such as relaxing or colour rely on alkaline products and these CAN open up the cuticle. Your average shampoo does not have the ability to do this. They are mostly mildly acidic to neutral (around pH 6–7 though 8 is considered ok) because cosmetic scientists need to consider that the shampoo can end up in your eyes, face and mouth, so it is safer to be close to neutral. See this site for some pH ranges of shampoo. Lisa Akbari also advertises a shampoo at pH 5. The pH of hair and skin is a range between 4.5 to 5.5.

Therefore, if your hair is natural, you most likely have a closed cuticle as has been seen scientifically (Khumalo et al, Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology, 2000, pp 814–820).
This leads to the question, if the cuticle is closed then what can really get in? Well two things can,water and some oils.

What kind of oil can get into the hair cortex? The complex answer is many different oils to varying degrees. The simple answer is coconut oil and olive oil have been shown to penetrate hair quite well (Hornby et al, Int Journal of cosmetic science 2005 pg299-300).

This now leaves the question, what exactly is the purpose of conditioner? Well most conditioners do just work on the outside. They soften the hair, help smooth the cuticle, minimize static, sometimes help the water stay in the cortex. When rinsed off they do leave some conditioning agents behind which keep the hair feeling soft.

So why do so many people say that deep conditioning is good? Well maybe they just have a better procedure and can get more out of it.

1. Make sure you have sufficient water, make sure you wet your hair properly and make sure your chosen conditioner has coconut oil or olive oil. If it doesn’t, consider adding a teaspoon or so to it (portion out the part you are going to use and add the oil to that, do not put it into the main container).

2. Concentrate on applying the conditioner very well so as to cover your all your hair. Don’t plop the conditioner onto the middle of your head, back and sides. Take your time, part the hair and apply to small sections.

3. Do you need heat? It takes 15 min for hair to get saturated in pure water while steam takes 18 hours or more (Robbins, Chemical and Physical Behaviour of Human Hair, Springer). Water directly on your hair through wetting is probably more useful than steam or vapour.

4. Should you leave it on for longer? Well you can do so if you want to, but if you leave it just for the stipulated time, then you don’t need to worry too much.

So is deep conditioning a myth, what do you think?

About The Natural Haven

Scientist on a hairy mission!

Frana C.
Frana C.

Hmmm this is an interesting article. I am tempted to test this out for a month to see if i notice a difference in my hair.

mikki
mikki

i think this article in interesting, ironically though, all i have to say in comment form is i honestly believe beauticians ONLY say 20 minutes/30 minutes etc and leave you there is because it frees up their time to do other clients. Never in my life have I been to see a stylist who was only doing one client at a time (usually 2–3 clients while a 4th is in the waiting area) . Point is while he/she is telling you , you need a deep condition because its good for your hair and the longer its in the better… Read more »

deena
deena
Reply to  mikki

lol…yes. you are on point with this. 20 minutes is rarely 20 minutes.

leilei
leilei
Reply to  mikki

I agree with you! Lol… its funny you point that out. Ironically though one of the BEST stylist I know uses the Design Essentials Express Conditioner and only leaves it in for 3 minutes. She never overbooks, clients never wait long and she works quickly to get them in and out. Her clients have healthy beautiful hair. She has a long and growing clientele. However this is uncommon and many stylists will slop globs of condioner on your head and leave you under the dryer for 30 minutes. I am so glad women are finally peeping game. Anyway, deep conditioner… Read more »

Lonitra
Lonitra
Reply to  leilei

lmbo @ that last sentence! You make a good point though. I think its safe to say that DCing only helps with untangling, gives definition and shine (when done correctly)and for some people they may need to leave it on for longer periods of time,we call it deep conditoining. But it does provide additional strength to hair that is already damaged. I believe that’s wear moisturizing and sealing comes in). Rather it only helps preserve the hair you have. If that’s what you want for your hair then i say keep it going. It does help.

Lonitra
Lonitra
Reply to  Lonitra

oops! meant to say *does not provide additional strength*

Fabre
Fabre

Willing to believe this is a myth because no matter how many DCs I have tried — none leave my hair soft once rinsed out without the aid of other products. I think Mikki’s reasoning is quite sound too. All this time we have believed that we had to deep condition due to our hair being afro textured, different to caucasian people’s and therefore requiring more conditioning time. It doesn’t make that much sense when you consider that all hair is dead, made of keratin and our only differences are that our hair can be more fragile and the natural… Read more »

FireCracker
FireCracker
Reply to  Fabre

I totally agree because I have tried several different hair conditioners and my hair is still never really soft. I used the braggs organic apple cider vinegar and it’s much softer.

Genevieve Jai
Genevieve Jai
Reply to  FireCracker

Hi FireCracker
Does Braggs have a conditioner made with apple cider vinegar? pls tell me more…Genevieve

deena
deena

This goes back to doing what your hair says to do. Deep Conditoning has been lifted up as one of the essential things to do on a monthly basis, at least. i was on the bandwagon with this until i realized my hair wasnt any softer when i left it in for 10 minutes or 1 hr. It wasnt that the shampoo and conditioner I used were bad but there was nothing extra. Maybe I was using the wrong product but I’m out my product junkie stage at this point. I dont feel like experimenting anymore. the STRESS of doing/finding… Read more »

June
June

I don’t relate deep conditioning to the products*, but the heat used and time spent with the conditioner on my hair strands. To me, it has made a difference. My hair is much softer through the week. I deep condition 1x a week with steam, but will increase it to 3x a week (during the week use my heat cap while watching TV) in the winter.

* I don’t really believe in deep conditioning products. I add oils/butters to my regular conditioners and they work just perfectly.

mangomadness
mangomadness

I stopped deep conditioning while ago. It made no difference in my hair–It just wasted time, money and product. What did make a difference was finding a good leave-in conditioner. For me, that means a water-based one with vegetable glycerin and oils/butters (Shea Moisture Deep Treatment Masque, Alba Botanica Leave-In Conditioner). I think DCing is money-making thing. It’s a way to “repair” hair that has been harshly treated (too many chemical processes, too much heat, etc.) A way to “repair” hair that has a natural tendency to dryness and/or a naturally “course” texture. A way for hairdressers to free up… Read more »

Shanta
Shanta

I wasn’t under the impression that shampoo raised the cuticule and conditioner closed it. I thought it was the temperature of the water.

I don’t think deep conditioning is a myth the way cutting your ends to make your hair grow is a myth. My conditioner says to leave it on for 15–20 min and wear a plastic cap. Generally it’s left in longer because I’m taking care of my kids or doing other things around the house.

As an aside, does this question the benefit of baggying now?

Come On People
Come On People

quote: “In my opinion any process referred to as ?deep conditioning? is wishful thinking. Conditioning hair usually starts and finishes with aiding the Cuticle to enclose the Cortex. There is no effective treatment yet available which will permanently repair damaged hair-shafts and I have seen no evidence to confirm that they benefit from exposure to steam.” if you notice she said that it is her opinion. and that is exaclty what it is, her opinion. If you agree with it that is fine if you don’t that is also fine. It is true that you can’t permanently repair damaged hair, but… Read more »

Ruth
Ruth
Reply to  Come On People

Could you point me to where you lifted that quote? I can’t find it in the article.….

julia
Reply to  Ruth

yea, it’s not in the article at all.

Come On People
Come On People
Reply to  julia
Jc
Jc
Reply to  Come On People

As Ruth and Julia said, I did not write that section that you quoted. It was part of the quote from the trichologist.

As with all my posts, I always specify where I am giving opinion and where I am stating facts. This post did arise from someone else’s opinion but I did my own research to investigate if there is scientific proof in published journals.

Please do not place someone else’s words as my own. If you read this article, you will notice that it focuses on what penetrates into hair and what does not.

Fabre
Fabre
Reply to  Come On People

There are conditioners for both — protein for strength, moisture for softness.

Come On People
Come On People
Reply to  Fabre

True that their are deep conditioners for protein and moisture. However, moisturizing deep conditioners are not just to soften the hair. Hair needs a balance of moisture and protein to remain strong. It is not just for astetic purposes.

Barbara
Barbara
Reply to  Come On People

My hair has flourished w/ hour/s long DCs-it must not know it’s a myth Lol. Sssshhhh

amber
amber

The word “trichologist” is funny. Sound like some one who studies tricks…

(carry on with the serious hair conversation)

V
V
Reply to  amber

Haha!

leilei
leilei
Reply to  amber

I personally think they are just product pushers.

Annie L.
Annie L.

I leave my hair-to-toe amla/honey paste on too long in the tub because I go to lala land 🙂 but don’t intentionally deep condish.
I always wanted some stylist to convince me of the science and cost of DCs and steams rather than parrot widely circulated information about their usefulness. In all, I didn’t expect nor recall seeing results. Some love it though. I like to think that as with skin, moisture mainly comes from the inside and is enhanced and maintained from the outside.

Beneath The Clutter

I used to deep condition under the dryer for 20 minutes with my Elasta QP (with added olive oil). I noticed after awhile my hair didn’t really feel any differently. Since then I’ve stopped deep conditioning all together. Although, I do a pre-poo each time before washing-so I guess this acts like my DC.

T.
T.

I don’t deep condition. I used to DC after my henna treatments, and then one day I was in a hurry, so I just left my regular conditioner in for a few minutes after henna-ing. The result in terms of how my hair felt was just as good, if not better, as when I used to DC. So I don’t bother with deep conditioning anymore, and my hair feels fine.

Annie L.
Annie L.

On the flipside, I like articles, hypotheses and folk remedies about hair practice and product. I consider, try and even adopt some. I’m always surprised at the limited amount of data and study by which a few trichologists, derms or other doctors and scientists use to indisputably prove, or even disprove as some do in the article, the efficacy of various hair practices and products their success for some and not for others. For me, not enough study has gone in to any one practice, ingredient, folk method or study (even penetrative oils) that can beat that it simply ‘works… Read more »

Auset

I think deep conditioning is a myth, to a certain degree. I don’t think conditioning itself is a myth. I also think the best conditioners for my hair have always been leave-in. When I leave-in a conditioner, it is more likely to do good for my hair than not. Also, I want deep conditioning to be a myth. For one, I don’t like this step and have not really used it very much regularly. Also, since the only thing that seems to get into the hair shaft are water and some oils, oil rinsing and hot oil treatments seem to make… Read more »

freeyourheart

for me, deep conditioning is more for my scalp than my hair. when my scalp starts itching, i usually clarify and deep condition for a couple of hours to soothe my scalp. i’ve never been someone to deep condition weekly, but everyone is right by saying it’s an opinion. what works for one may not work for the other. at the end of the day, you need to go by what your hair needs and not by what others tell you about your hair.

June
June

*reads comments*

Who knew deep conditioning would be so controversial.…..

JP23
JP23
Reply to  June

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am confused, LOL! I have to view this site with my “we dont have to agree” sign on my desk because it gets rough sometimes, LOL!

aina
aina

I can either listen to scientists who tell me deep conditioning doesn’t work, or I can listen to my hair which acts a fool when I go too long without deep conditioning (I don’t use anything special, just leave my conditioner in for as long as possible with heat, and sometimes add honey and olive oil), and I know which one I’m going to go with.

Jc
Jc
Reply to  aina

I think you missed out a vital point. Nowhere in this post is there information that ‘deep conditioning does not work’. It only questions the validity of the statement that applying a conditioner for longer makes it work better. Science and practice are two different things. There is no scientist in this world who would tell you that you should stop deep conditioning when you have found that your hair responds to it. You have technically carried out your own experiment and substantiated that deep conditioning works for you. For others who find heat or no heat makes no difference or… Read more »

Barbara
Barbara
Reply to  aina

ICAM

CarmelStacks
CarmelStacks

My hair loves a good deep condition…

julia

I’m a fan of the occasional coconut oil DC. By occasional I mean whenever I feel like it. Sometimes I leave it on for 15 minutes…sometimes for an hour it depends on if my timing (a toddler and a baby at home).
I don’t think my mom ever DC’d my hair when I was growing up but I had some long, thick hair. *shoulder shrug*

Rume
Rume
Reply to  julia

Same!

Verona
Verona
Reply to  julia

I love a great hot oil pre-poo DC(if you want to call it that) with Olive oil and Coconut oil, and I did notice the longer I left it on with a bag over, the softer my hair was even after i shampooed and sealed in everything. Those DC that you buy, worthless on my hair, but my hot oil mixes, my hair has always and probably will always love them through and through. It also helps that I LOVE the smell of coconut oil! I also never bother with protein, I have tried them, and never ever liked how… Read more »

AJ
AJ

My deep conditioners are almost all protein-based with added oils, so I certainly am under the steamer or dryer for 20 minutes to allow them to penetrate. I use moisture DC’s as leave-in conditioners, especially since my hair is up 99% of the time so I don’t worry about my hair being too heavy or greasy. As someone above said, it’s about doing what’s right for your head. When I tried to stop using protein conditioners a few years back, because “naturals don’t need as much protein,” my hair acted a H.A.M.! When I try to not use the aphogee… Read more »

Ruth
Ruth

I haven’t found that deep conditioners do anything more than my regular conditioner would.

The fact of the matter is… after the amount of time it takes me to detangle my 17 inches of 4a hair with HEHH(mixed with coconut & olive oil), I see absolutely no reason to waste time, money and conditioner to do deep conditioning. Sometimes I may have the mix in for a longer time because I have some important matter to attend to, but I do not INTENTIONALLY deep condition… and I don’t plan to at any point in the unforeseeable future. 🙂

Nee Nee
Nee Nee
Reply to  Ruth

You may want to try a different conditioner if detangling is a hassle. I like HEHH, but it’s not the best for adding “slip” to the hair. I would recommend Organic Root Stimulator Replenishing Conditioner or any conditioner by KeraCare left on for 10–15 minutes is the BEST for getting out knots and such. Tangle Teezers also work wonders.

Ruth
Ruth
Reply to  Nee Nee

I wasn’t saying that detangling is a hassle, because it’s not. It just takes me longer than most because I have a lot of hair and I like to take my time. HEHH with added oils gives me the slip I need… I like silicones for that very purpose.

The point I was trying to make is that deep conditioning serves absolutely no purpose in my case. My hair is already conditioned quite enough by the time I’m done. 🙂

binks
binks
Reply to  Ruth

Agreed! I stop deep conditioning because as mention it doesn’t make sense to me especially when your going to add more conditioner (a leave in) right back into your hair after you raise the deep conditioning out. I use shea moisture restorative conditioner and it doubles as a deep conditioner and a leave in. I will only do a deep conditioning if it is a special treatment other than that nah.…

Carla
Carla

I deep condition to help detangle my hair. I rarely do it for longer than 30 minutes though, sometimes 15. 3 minutes is too short and anything longer than 30 max is not necessary. I also rarely buy “deep conditioners”. I usually take a regular conditioner and jazz it up with shea butter, coconut oil, yogurt, etc.

df
df

yeah i guess I can say I tested this out unconsciously…didn’t deep condition for about 2 months and my hair was much drier than normal and tangled easily. To me DC is doing it for at least 2 hours…and I’d usually just leave in a conditioner (used as DC) for 15 minutes instead. Once I dc’d (3 hours with shower cap and bonnet), I saw the difference in my hair immediately. I think everyone should just figure out what works for them…

E
E

hmmm i shampoo my hair with black soap. i wonder what the ph balance is

Maybe deep conditioning doesn’t do anything, except, and this is just an observation, I think if you leave it on for a half hour or more with body heat or dryer heat, your hair starts to untangle itself, I guess this is a sort of “slip effect”.
I noticed when I leave my conditioner on for this period or longer (multitasking!), my hair seems so easy to detangle with a comb as opposed to if I put it on and combed through a section right away.
Hmmm.…

FH
FH

I honestly don’t see a difference whether I DC my hair or use a regular conditioner. What really seems to make the difference is the leave-in product I use afterwards. I am a new natural and used to leave DC in my hair for one hour or 2. It felt great and then after rinsing out, I kind of felt back to square 1. Now I just leave conditioner in my hair for 3–5 min while I take a shower, and then use a leave-in and/or gel when my hair is almost dry. I’m very happy with that routine, and… Read more »

Nicholereo333
Nicholereo333

I definitely think my hair feels much better when I do an Hot EVOO treatment than using any type of conditioner, I just use conditioner to create slip for detangling.

Shelli

I’m a dedicated DCer. I’ve always retained the most length and moisture when I incorporate regular DCing into my regimen. Regular has been every wash session (which is usually weekly, but sometimes once every two weeks) for about a year now. I use conditioners formulated for DCing and most of them suggest leaving in for 15 minutes with heat. Sometimes I add EVOO, Vatika or VCO and honey. I always leave in for an hour, but many times leave-in overnight as I just don’t feel like washing it out the evening that I wash. I also “cool and seal” my… Read more »

Miah
Miah

The hair can only hold so much by the way that it is stuctured so depending on the molecular structure of the conditioner, (many of which are just cream rinses) the molecules are often too big to penetrate the cuticle to the cortex no matter how long you leave it on. Many of these cream rinses are just to lower the cuticle after washing and aiding in detangling. The hair will feel better on the surface/easier to comb etc. This can be done in 20 min or less. Ever notice that most conditioners unless it is a professional animal protein… Read more »

coconutandcream

Hmm interesting, I haven’t deep conditioned in about 3 months, my hair is fine without it. I stopped deep conditioning because I ran out of money and will to do it. However when I want a moisture boost I’ll use banana, avocado, coconut oil and the likes.

Melinda
Melinda

I KNEW IT!!! A girl can mac on yt said the same thing months ago! Products pushers smh!!! Oh well. Keep in mind, there are only 3 oils with molocules small enough to actually penetrate the hair shaft and they are.…. drumroll please.… coconut oil, olive oil and avodcado oil, google it for yourself, period. All of the other stuff is just fluff and money!

Pepper

I definitely think that Deep Conditioners are not a myth. I think they just work for some and dont work for others. I have been natural going on two years. Up until this year, I did not DC at all. My regimine was co wash and leave in. While I did see some growth, my hair was straw! I used homemade leave ins and store bought leave ins. It wasn’t until this year, when I started back to making my own leave in conditioner and using Shea Moisture’s DC masque that I started seeing the moisture back in my hair… Read more »

Nidal
Reply to  Pepper

Pretty element of centont. I simply stumbled upon your website and in accession capital to say that I acquire in fact loved account your weblog posts. Anyway I?l be subscribing in your feeds and even I fulfillment you get admission to persistently quickly.

Lonitra
Lonitra

I wouldnt say deep conditioning doesnt need to be done. As it is a GREAT way to repair the hair after harsh damage (heat, chemicals, dyes, etc) While some products used to “condition” may work better than others, i believe its important to know which ones work best for your hair, weather they’re natural or not. deep conditioning also, help smooth the hairs, and smell great. I add olive oil to my cheapie conditioners only to get a better shine and less frizz, but it weighs my hair down too most times, so to each their own. Deep conitioning is… Read more »

K.
K.

My DCing consists of having condish in my hair however long I’m in the shower lol (15 mins or so). I REFUSE to get out, sit under the dryer, then get back in the shower to rinse. My hair is healthy and is growing just fine.

rw
rw

wow, great post!! so now why do we co-wash !?!?!?!

Carla
Carla
Reply to  rw

Because shampooing can be too drying if used too often. I actually alternate between shampooing and cowashing.

TINA SMITH
TINA SMITH

hmmm well for my hair i have went a week or two with out deep conditioning and my hair felt drier then usual. so for me deep conditioning weekly is a must. but i only do it for 20 minutes under my steamer and i’m done

YannaBlue
YannaBlue

I notice a BIG difference when I DC and when I skip it…my hair is my dry and prone to shedding and breakage…

surVIVEr28
surVIVEr28

I with the DCers on this one, especially since I have hard water. Been using the Shea Moisture Deep Conditioning Mask. When i first start transitioning, this was my baby. It helped me with the tangles which would usually have me in tears because before that product, i had a hard time retaining length and softness. To each is own, i guess.

air conditioning

It’s actually a great and helpful piece of information. I’m satisfied that you just shared this useful information with us. Please keep us informed like this. Thank you for sharing.

ScoopofV
ScoopofV

I think this is true…I apply my conditioner in my hair just like i do my shampoo. Wash it around a little bit and rinse it out. My hair is really nice and soft and i just apply a leave in conditioner for my daily regimen. But the shampoo and condition I do use is by Care Free Curl and the shampoo is protein based and the conditioner is ph5.0 Keratin, so maybe the article is factual.

Lorraine
Lorraine

Hallelujah! I have not deep conditioned in years. I’ve felt guilty about it, but lately realized that it has not made a difference. I do not have more breakage or a shorter length. Actually, the thing that has made a difference was to leave the lye. I stopped relaxing and I don’t have a need or desire to deep condition — my hair feels awesome. Of course, I stopped dc long before I went natural, but I felt it was more like a massage/facial. No proof that my hair was any better, but I was treating myself to a little… Read more »

Tikvah
Tikvah

I like to deep condition my hair (leave the product on for 20+ minutes) because I have noticed that the longer I leave in the deep conditioner, the more the products seem to absorb more into my hair and do not easily rinse out. I use cholesterol mixed with Organics’ clove and olive oil. My hair LOVES it as a leave-in oil, but my scalp doesn’t like a lot of products and itches when I use it. So, I stopped using it as my main leave-in oil and mixed it with my deep conditioner. Even after I rinse thoroughly, I… Read more »

Ronnie
Ronnie

I stopped deep conditioning a couple of years ago when I noticed that my hair feels pretty much the same way it does after regular conditioning. If the point is to retain length, deep conditioning doesn’t do it, protective styling, low manipulation and/or keeping the hair moisturized with water and oil helps retain length best from my experience.

Faye

The process described is not how I go about it but I can see the relevance of the statements made. I actually put coconut and/or olive oil in my hair before washing it. Some people call it pre-pooing but I have always, even when I have BSL relaxed hair, gotten my hair conditioned while dry at the Dominican salons in NY with olive oil, garlic and mashed avocado. It seems to me that every one should do what their hair needs and what their hair responds to, as for me, I will put oils mixed with conditioner (can’t do that… Read more »

Faye

Oh and I don’t always do that either… I always condition but it’s according to what I feel like doing, my hair’s state, and the time I have to work with.

michelle
michelle

Oh this article is timely. I deep condiioned this weekend and I was wondering until I came accross this article why my hair felt no different. That is not quite true come to think of it, it did feel different it felt dryer than usual. Now I will just make use of my oils and water more and do the occasional protien treatment.

Janean Brazee

You completed various good points there. I did a search on the subject and found a good number of folks will go along with with your blog.

FattieSoSlim
FattieSoSlim

Hey Jc, question about number 3.

3. Do you need heat? It takes 15 min for hair to get saturated in pure water while steam takes 18 hours or more”

You mention just water, and then you mentioned steam. What if I’m not steaming my hair, but I’m still under a hooded dryer? And do you know if oils at a higher temperature penetrate the cortex better/easier/quicker?

FattieSoSlim
FattieSoSlim

You know what I want to see? A strand of hair, under a microscope, cold, and then heated up, surrounded by conditioner or some type of oil.

Julia P

The jury’s going to be fully out on DCs. I’ve always done so, but I’m going to try simple conditioning, and compare results.
I can’t say I’ve seen much difference after DC. I’ll keep an eye on it.

Ladyj
Ladyj

I understand that what works for one does not work for all, however i’ve been DCing overnight for approx. 6 month and I love it! While the amount of applications varies week to week I pretty much maintain about twice a week adding essential oils and coconut to a moisterzing deep condtioner. I’ve notice the difference in the texture of my hair and the reduction in sheading. What I find most interesting is that as a child coconut was used on my hair and DC was applied for 20 mins. or so, my dad brushed my hair with water and… Read more »

TBIS
TBIS

i think deep conditioning is important to keep our tight coils soft and curly.

Ugonna Wosu
Ugonna Wosu

I don’t relate dc to the time spent anyway. Its more about the product itself. A rinse out conditioner has the same ingredients, but less concentrated and does not penetrate the shaft as deeply because of this lesser concentration. The deep one is stronger(as are homemade ones with food, etc.). If you want to leave it on for 5–10 minutes only, go ahead! I hope it works, but I don’t mind leaving it on for 2 hours(or more). It may not help your hair more, but it doesn’t hurt it either, right? I like knowing I can walk around and… Read more »

Angelica

This is the deep conditioner that I use. It has conditioner and oil, so I don’t have to worry. Check it out if you think it will help. It is home made and nearly 100% natural.