Rethinking Mineral Oil?

Avatar • Aug 10, 2011

First it was rethinking silicones… now it’s mineral oil! Check out this excerpt from the natural hair science website The Natural Haven;

Be adventurous — try mineral oil.….….……yes mineral oil/vaseline/dax pomade. It is a better ‘sealant’ than many natural oils. Let me repeat that in bold — mineral oil prevents water evaporating from hair much better than most natural oils. I know that you know that I generally do not recommend mineral oil because I prefer natural oils but I need to set the record straight mineral oil as far as maintaining water inside your hair is supreme. If you are struggling with keeping dryness at bay and have no qualms with mineral oil — try it, it may work for you.

Click here for the full piece.

I also found an interesting article about this on beauty science site The Beauty Brains;

We often see the advice that people should avoid mineral oil at all costs. This idea is propagated by numerous “natural” companies. Well, this advice is just bogus. It’s not based on any scientific studies. Mineral oil is a perfectly fine ingredient and has been used in cosmetics for over 100 years.

They go on to list the 5 Top Myths associated with mineral oil, and suggest that its demonization may have to do with profit for natural hair companies;

They want you to buy from them instead of the big manufacturers. This is the primary explanation for mineral oil bashing. Little companies have to find a way to convince consumers to use their products instead of the less expensive, name brands produced by large manufacturers. They can’t possibly advertise as much as the big guys so they need other ways to motivate consumers. Spreading rumors, half truths, and lies about mineral oil (and a host of other ingredients) will scare a significant amount of people.

Here’s the link to the full Beauty Brains article.

Ladies, what are your thoughts? Do you think naturals’ fear of mineral oil is baseless? Really looking forward to the responses on this one!

kurlybella

dries my hair out to the BONE. but i do know that it seals well. even still, i don’t recommend it for kinky hair unless it’s a last resort because natural oils will always be the better choice. however if it works then i see no harm in it.

it just tears my hair to shreds. it’s been so long that i’ve used a product with mineral oil that i don’t even consider it an option anymore. the last time i tried some miss jessie’s — the queens of mineral oil — tore my hair up. i.just.can’t.

Lady
Lady
Reply to  kurlybella

+1. Girl leaves my hair feeling horible…

Cris
Cris

MY doctor actually recommends mineral oil for this same reason. It is a good emollient (sp?) for the hair and skin. My daughters had horrible excema and after about a week of bathing them, then not drying them off, then rubbing their arms and legs down with mineral oil, it seemed to practically disappear.

Le Le
Le Le
Reply to  Cris

That makes sense. Eucerin contains petrolatum and mineral oil as ingredients, and that stuff works great for my whole family including my kids who have eczema.

Maureen
Maureen
Reply to  Le Le

I don’t think you need mineral oil for that. I used to have horrible eczema as well but swore off mineral and soap a few years ago. It did nothing for my skin but make it itchy. Instead I use a soap-free washing gel and almond oil on my wet skin. It works wonders as it has softened my skin tremendously. The mere feeling of mineral oil makes me cringe now, I can’t stand the stringy feeling. No more mineral oil for me.

E*star
E*star
Reply to  Maureen

Maureen, what is the name of your soap-free washing gel?

PennyP
PennyP
Reply to  E*star

An awesome soap free wash is Softsoap’s line of shower gel. Better late than never.

Angie
Angie
Reply to  Le Le

I agree with Lele and Cris; my son has eczema and I was spending loads of money on all these natural products only to have his eczema worsen. Finally, in frustration, I bought a jar of vaseline(petroleum jelly) and his eczema healed up immediately. So now I’m stuck with all this shea butter…

Lita
Lita
Reply to  Angie

It’s because mineral oil doesn’t work for my skin that I skipped it for my hair, and specifically, my scalp. My understanding, is that it’s great at sealing, but that the skin finds it hard to produce its own oils after prolonged use, and you end up in a vicious cycle. Also, it seals moisture in, but prevents any more from being absorbed, and doesn’t nourish in any way. I found this all to be true for me.

Vette
Vette

I bought into the whole no mineral oil/no petrolatum hype early on and my hair suffered and so did my pocketbook. I recently went back to my mineral oil/petrolatum and Im not looking back…my hair loves the stuff (silicomes and sulfates too). My wallet and my hair is thanking me…

Queeen
Queeen
Reply to  Vette

lol I bought into the no mineral oil and no petrolatum bandwagon too. Now a closet full of hair products later I cant really say what I feel bc I keep looking for the next best product… I do agree with the post’s logic that it just might be a tactic of small business to sell their products. When I wear braids my no.1 hair grease is Africa’s Best Super Gro (even though they cant seem to spell grow that joint smells fantastic!) found at your local beauty store for like $4 and the first ingredient is- drum roll- petrolatum.… Read more »

Reply to  Queeen

I hated when a product didn’t work for me because I was not going to buy another one until that one was done. Thankfully, I have found my holy grail conditioners (only commercial products I use) and I am not looking anymore. I use a castor/argan/camellia oil mix to seal my hair and it seems to work very well.

Jazz
Jazz
Reply to  Vette

Petroleum works well for me if I’m gonna have my hair braided w/ weave for awhile. But I only use it when I’m out of shea. Which I have found in all my years(10)of being natural has worked best. I can only use light oils on my scalp. But I feel you on the silicon, it does wonders for my hair. so I say try it ALL. Different products and regimens work differently for everyone. You never know how it may turn out. I’ve recently taken a dive into Creme of nature Argan oil shampoo. in which i wrote off… Read more »

juicy
juicy

I done rethunked (lol) it. I used grease all the way up until i went to college. Then i started experimenting and ditched the grease. At the time grease wasnt doing anything for me. but now im right back to grease just with alot more knowledge on how to use it well. I am now using it in place of shea butter (which left my hair soft but ashy looking) to seal. After wetting, leave in and a light oil—> GREASE. i think if used right mineral oil is beneficial. My hair is back to happy in terms of moisture.

lovemyhair
lovemyhair
Reply to  juicy

I’m gonna try this. I have been trying EVERYTHING, and my hair still does not seem to retain enough Moisture. And I purchase all of the go to ALL NATURAL stuff. I’m going to do an experiment for a month with Mineral oil and see what happens.…

Cristine
Cristine

I recently tried a product with mineral oil & my hair loves it. As with ANY product, you just have to understand what its uses are how to use it properly. Everything isn’t going to work for everybody’s hair either. some will like mineral oil, others won’t.

Jade

It’s cheaper for oil companies to throw mineral oil in cosmetic products than it is to dispose of it.

I’m not supporting them.

Besides, it makes me breakout and backacne isn’t a good look.

oekmama
oekmama
Reply to  Jade

Le Le
Le Le

I use mineral oil products from time to time. I don’t think they are the devil, either. I don’t like them for regular use, but I do use them from time to time, and when I do, they work just fine, except they do seem to attract dirt and dust more than natural oils. What I never understand about oils and sealing moisture in is this: If you apply water to hair and then oil in order to seal it, then does the hair stay moisturized without having to re-moisturize and re-seal days later? Like, usually, I apply glycerin water,… Read more »

Nichole
Nichole
Reply to  Le Le

that is ALWAYS my question! Then if you do it on Monday do you have to wash it again and do the whole thing again by Wednesday? Are we supposed to just moisturize on top of it? Wouldn’t that then be a waste of product since our sealant is blocking things out?

Sorry for the fifty questions in one but I’ve always wondered

Reply to  Le Le

I rinse out my hair every other day because I work out a lot, but I would like to know the answer to that question in the event I am going somewhere and I don’t workout for a week.

Kandace Stephens
Kandace Stephens
Reply to  Le Le

The problem with mineral oil is not that it blocks the exit of moisture i.e. but it also blocks the entry of moisture also, perpetuating a cycle of dryness. Then it creates a film that requires a surfactant namely a shampoo that includes harsh sulfates to remove it. The actual mineral oil is not evil per se but you have to know what it will and will not do. I personally prefer effectively layering a moisturizing product and an oil based sealant that will quickly wear off providing an opportunity to remoisturize with having to wash every time.

Jc
Jc
Reply to  Le Le

Le Le to answer your question, yes if you feel it necessary, you should repeat the cycle after 2–3 days. The effects of a humectant and oil mix (which is what you are using with glycerin, water and oil) usually last for 24–48 hours depending on your environment. The reason to wash your hair all over again comes in if you want to redeposit the surfactants in conditioner which make hair feel soft. You can of course cheat and use conditioner as a leave in but you will need to be careful about build up later (as long as you… Read more »

Le Le
Le Le
Reply to  Jc

Oh, ok. My mind kind of hates the idea of moisturizing, sealing, and doing it over again. It just seems like product, over product, over product. I can see why washing my hair twice weekly might be a good idea…except that I don’t have time for all that.

sarah

I always thought the attack against mineral oil was baseless. I used good ole grease and my hair thrived. But I was also using a sulfate shampoo to clarify. I understand that it may harm some, but I never got how folks would make the leap that it wad bad for all. Then again, that’s how bandwagons are born.

Maisha
Maisha

I find that mineral oil works great on my skin, but not in my hair.

Leisha
Leisha
Reply to  Maisha

+1 I can use baby oil etc on my skin all day but my, negative. Only when I blow dry I use it and that’s the Chi Silk Infusion.

mj labonte
mj labonte

My man and I still slather on Vaseline and baby oil in the fall/winter because they seem to be the last ones standing, protecting our naturally dry skin, after a day in typical Canadian winter. It just never occurred to me to try it on my hair to combat the excessive winter dryness as well. Will def give it a shot this winter and see how my hair responds.

napfrocurlzgirl

When I used to use mineral oil and petroleum-based products, my scalp was always covered in flakes. Since avoiding these products, I no longer have dandruff or itchy scalp. My skin’s noticed a difference too. Now that I use coconut oil as a base in my makeup remover and moisturizer, I no longer have breakouts.

Jade

I’ve noticed the flakes with mineral oil too. All ‘good ole grease’ did was make me too embarrassed to wear a black shirt.

I always thought relaxers were what made my scalp flaky, but my bf who had long natural hair for years always developed huge flakes when he used mineral oil based grease, but they stopped when he switched to Luster’s S‑curl activator/moisturizer.

Lisa

I don’t avoid mineral oil. It is not in any of the products I like, but I don’t avoid. I do avoid companies that make products with mineral oil and still charge a premium. If I am going to buy a product that is mineral oil based, it must be $3 for 16 oz or no thank you. What is with this bashing of small businesses in favor of the corporate big boys. So, it is good and dandy the large corporations sell and market things to you, but when it comes to mainly black-owned, female small businesses, they become the… Read more »

Adaobi
Adaobi
Reply to  Lisa

Here you on the small business bashing…

Gypsi
Gypsi
Reply to  Adaobi

I third that comment. Large Corporations are the main ones lying and cheating the consumers. Then they use their commercials ( which run over and over and over again until they are embedded in your subconscIous) to make you buy products that may actually make your hair “softer, more luxurious” , but by any means necessary. Even if the long terms effects of using it are toxic to the body (sulfates, parabens) they’ll still market it. If we, the consumers keep supporting the small independent all natural products, the large coporations will start using their money to research how to… Read more »

Lisha

Glad I didn’t give my trusty Softee coconut oil the boot! 🙂 Use what works, ladies!

Lola
Lola

Well,when I decided to go natural and started researching on the internet and I was really looking for some great alternatives to mineral oil. While mineral oil didn’t harm my hair as far as I could see,I really hated having greasy/tacky hair.So during my transition I started using oils and butters…and guess what? since then, I am dandruff and acne + bacne free!!!Now I’m 9 months natural,loving to touch my hair and no more itchy scalp.…I’m happy that it works for some and I say go for it if you like it, but I’m not going back to it b/c… Read more »

Najmah
Najmah

I think it depends on what you want for your hair. For me, mineral oil makes my hair look dingy and weighed down. It feels greasy and doesn’t absorb well at all. If I can find something that seals moisture in (for me, castor oil), doesn’t have the drawbacks that mineral oil has AND doesn’t come from fossil fuels? Then I’m going to go with that.

Lanisha
Lanisha

Yeah, funny this weekend I sealed my hair with Miss Jessie’s Baby Buttercreme, on Sunday. I’ve been sleeping without a scarf and I haven’t remoisturized and my hair has NEVER, and I mean NEVER been this soft. However, i tried to use another mineral oil based product not too long ago and my hair felt like straw. I think what may have made the difference was leaving the conditioner in my hair and putting the Miss Jessie’s right on top. AND, my hair isn’t greasy at all.

AGrlCanMac

Nothing seals my ends quite as good or keeps my lips as soft as vasoline. My hair never had problems with mineral oil but when I heard it was “bad”, I reluctantly gave it up. I think we have to use what works for us. Back in the day, my mother used water and grease on our hair and our hair was down our backs and we’re still alive to tell about it. If mineral oil never did you dirty, why quit it? I’m an advocate for using what works for you.

Onebydesign
Onebydesign
Reply to  AGrlCanMac

Girl I tried this last night & let me tell you my hair was so soft & fluffy this morning, it also had a nice sheen; I love it! Rebraided my hair tonight & didnt have to add any additional moisture so I will definitely be trying this .99 cent sealer again, thanks for the tip!

Gati
Gati

When I started taking care of my natural hair seriously, I decided to join a few forums and read natural hair blogs. I was bombarded by info about staying away from mineral oil. This came as a surprise to me coz my mom used it on me when I was a kid and I had past shoulder length hair for a very long time. My mom and all my aunts back in Africa have past BSL hair and they all use pomade with mineral oil both for their scalp and a little bit for their hair. I told my mom… Read more »

Miz B
Miz B
Reply to  Gati

@Gati…I used Indian Hemp Kuza Pomade back in the day and my hair loved this stuff!! I might have to purchase again! That’s the first thing I noticed when I went natural is stay away from mineral oil. So do you twist with the Indian Hemp Pomade?

Gaelle
Gaelle

I haven’t really tried mineral oil on my hair (I mostly use natural products which happen to not have mineral oil in them( I also kind of avoid it. I tend to think of those products as not of good quality- who knows maybe I’m missing out?)) but it makes my skin feel suffocated, and makes me sweat more during the summer.

Eboni
Eboni

It’s funny because a couple days ago I almost purchased oil by Taliah Wajid, and the first ingredient was mineral, so I put it back on the shelf. Instead I purchased Shea Moisture Reconstructive Elixir (that works very well to seal moisture).

I’ll stop using naturals oils in my hair when they stop working for me — which probably won’t be anytime soon, lol.

Eboni
Eboni
Reply to  Eboni

*mineral oil

Jazz
Jazz
Reply to  Eboni

nice. you know her Healing OYL used to be w/o mineral oil. I dont know when it changed. but I use to buy and use it.Used it as a hot oil. Then one day jut casually checking the back i noticed it. I know use Africa’s Best Ultimate herbal oil. But I’m gonna have to try the shea moisture. I use their body products but haven’t used their hair products yet.

rae
rae

I’ve never liked the smell and sticky feel of hair grease. When I was using hair grease, I didn’t know how to take care of my hair, so it didn’t notice if it had any adverse effects. Since learning to take better care of my hair, I haven’t touched a jar of grease, let alone something with mineral oil/petrolatum as one of the first few ingredients (to my knowledge). I have no idea if it would be good for my hair or not, but I’ve found products I like that don’t have mineral oil, so I have no desire to… Read more »

Mimi
Mimi
Reply to  rae

LOL! The infamous hair grease circle. But I agree with your point, I don’t know if mineral oil will be good for my hair or not, but so far the products my hair responds to doesn’t have it. I feel no need to explore products my hair doesn’t seem to miss.

M
M

Huh, another marketing ploy. No surprise there. I think that it could be a great sealant *for some* but I have really porous hair and the last thing I need is it sucking up something I’ll have to use a harsh/drying shampoo to get out. Scientific evidence or lack thereof aside, all the proof I need is how my hair has flourished ever since I stopped using products that contain mineral oil so I will not be being “adventurous” anytime soon.

meow
meow

Eh, it seems like every 5 seconds one product is considered bad and should be avoided and then all of a sudden it’s actually good for you. It’s kinda annoying and predictable. Personally, I like using baby oil occasionally on my skin, but that’s about it. At the end of the day it’s about using products in moderation.

Jen
Jen
Reply to  meow

Watch out for ‘Why Sulfates are the best thing for Curly Hair’ posts in a few days.

Jen
Jen
Reply to  Jen

I forgot to add, it will be sponsored by Pantene.

eloise

I think it can be great for very dry skins. It makes wonders on the feets.But i could never put that on my hair anymore. It get it too greasy and catches and keeps all the dust. Id rather use jojoba or ‚okay its expensive but it was used for centuries,plus its chemical composition is really close from our hydro lipidic preotection film. To me getting my to mineral product kinda feels like taking a bath of gaz. Apparently the myth worked on me.

JJ
JJ

The stuff dries out my skin and hair. That is why I don’t use it. If it works for you, great. Just like shea butter is great for my dry/eczema skin but not for my hair. My opinion is use what is good for you first and foremost, then what works for you.

Debra
Debra

Why do people always seem to condescendingly throw in the word bandwagon when others do something they don’t?

Mineral oil was garbage for me and I won’t be returning to it. Silicones are easier to return to.

Jen
Jen
Reply to  Debra

I also hate when people use the term ‘new naturals’ or expression concern for all the ‘new naturals’ that are going to jump on this or that bandwagon. Condescending as hell. That I have been natural for just a year doesn’t mean, I don’t have a brain.

JuicesnBerriez
JuicesnBerriez
Reply to  Debra

ChristinaHMoore
ChristinaHMoore

I will not be going back to minerial oil. Not because ‘natural’ hair companies has demonised- I’d like to think I’m a little more resilient to advertising these days. But because mineral oil/ petrolatum is a by-product of Oil.
I’m not to pleased with the way the ‘West’ gets hold of oil and it’s quickly running out so we’ll have to find alternatives anyway.
I understand that I can’t completely exclude oil use out of my life but I’m doing my best bit by bit to find replacements.

Nevaeh

It’s great to read something that’s both enjoyable and provides pragmatisdc soilutons.

S.L
S.L

Incredible how hard working small black businesses who simply produce products to meet the demands of a tiny section of the population (natural haired women who want to avoid chemicals in their hair products) are being blamed for this trend. As far as I know, none of these hair companies run widely read blogs, advertise on tv or billboards or can afford to plaster black magazines with their advertising. So how have they ‘influenced’ people. If anything it’s the other way round. Women who became influenced by the growing concerns about harsh toxic chemicals in hair and skincare products, first becoming… Read more »

anon
anon
Reply to  S.L

You’ve got a point. This is not the first article here to dismiss or challenge natural products. Discussion and debate is healthy but it shouldn’t be one-sided. I’d like to hear from natural companies/chemists and people with all natural regimens on why it is important to them and to our hair to go organic! Just for another side to this story. I certainly never felt that I was being conned by any of the existing natural companies because I’m not curl defining or using products that are more aggressively marketed. It’s the unnatural offerings for our hair that did many of… Read more »

S
S
Reply to  anon

Most naturally derived ingredients work well for most people. However, they are still chemicals even though they are derived from plants. That means that they can also be allergenic or toxic.

From the FDA website:

Are cosmetics made with “organic” ingredients safer for consumers than those made with ingredients from other sources?

No. An ingredient’s source does not determine its safety. For example, many plants, whether or not they are organically grown, contain substances that may be toxic or allergenic.

Reply to  S

You seem to be using ‘organic’ and ‘natural’ interchangeably, which is not accurate.

Jc
Jc
Reply to  S.L

Actually I have never worked as a scientist for any pharmaceutical company at all. I used to research in University and that was independent research with no funding at all from pharma. I think that natural companies similar to large corporations have to sell their products and on both sides there is a lot of scare mongering. In truth, cosmetic grade mineral oil is not toxic and is approved even for human consumption. A natural company that says ‘we choose to not use mineral oil as it is a by product of fossil fuel’ or ‘because we believe that plant… Read more »

Reply to  Jc

If there is a company that has made that claim, it might be better to reference that company then making statements that smear all these small businesses.

Jc
Jc
Reply to  Lisa

Actually I have refused to place ads for 2 specific natural companies who have questionnable ‘all natural’ product claims (in my view). I will not name them because that is free advertising for them, the less people know about them, the better. I would rather name the do gooders like Oyin handmade. Jamyla gave me a fabulous interview on how she ended up making hair products based on kitchen ingredients by learning about their properties and combining and testing them in different proportions to find the correct mix which works (all catalogued in notebooks as any scientist would). The point… Read more »

Reply to  Jc

Okay. Thanks for the clarification. I love your blog!

Jazz
Jazz
Reply to  S.L

I Agree. Companies will sell you anything! Their a business. Also you should only do to your skin an hair what works well for you.
Trial & error. If it doesn’t work, move on to the next. Research the ingredients and if a product who’s base ingredient has not worked well for you before may not work well for you again. look @ what your buying so that you can avoid being a product junky. or have a bunch of junk products.

Gypsi
Gypsi
Reply to  S.L

Aivlys
Aivlys

Yeaaaaa I can’t. Nothing on me likes mineral oil/petroleum…I’m used to using plant-based items. My mom and grandma actually makes their own castor and coconut oil…so I guess I’m biased

K.
K.

I think if you have a product that works but contains one of those ingredients then stick with it. If your hair/skin doesn’t like the ingredients, don’t use them. If you read the labels on your favorite lotions I bet that one of those ingredients are within the first 3 ingredients listed — from your “sensitive skin” Jergens to Bath & Body Works, etc. I have no problems with it. Sometimes a good product is a good product and a bad one is a bad one, regardless of mineral oil/petroletum content. I’m biased though — I’m not an “everything must… Read more »

Bridget
Bridget
Reply to  K.

+1 I totally agree.

Angie
Angie

I have loc’s so any type of heavy oil in my hair is a no-no. I make a spritz from aloe juice and olive oil for daily moisturizing. But for my boy, whose head I keep shaved real low, mineral and petroleum based products work very well for him. My friend’s daughter has natural hair down to her butt and she swears by old school grease made from mineral and petroleum products to maintain her child’s hair. It works for some and not for others.

deena
deena

w a need to simplify and reduce the cost of my hair regimen, I have used the greases which do help my hair feel soft and supply. I, like most you had long natural hair as a kid, and my mom used pretty much the basics, blue majic, sulfur 8, pink lotion, and other cheap greases etc. There was less of a thing for moisturizers and my hair did well. so like all of you, i try out everything and use what works for me.

Nadine
Nadine

Um. No thanks. I appreciate that it might be a great sealant, but I would prefer to use products that benefit the overall health of my hair as well. Since using all natural products including product lines like Shea Moisture, I have seen a definite improvement to the overall quality of the feel and texture of my hair. No more dry, brittle hair. Honestly, I’m not sure why it is that petroleum based products will give shine, but soon after leave the hair dry and brittle, but it does. I can’t go back to Dax…sorry :/

Nadine
Nadine

I think the article below gives a better explanation of the story behind mineral oil. Ultimately, as every naturalista will tell you…it’s about what works for you!! Mineral oil has a bad rap for a reason! There are a number of us who did not have good results using it. For me, it did not retain moisture, contributed to some breakage, and just did not help my hair feel healthy. Science aside, our experiential evidence holds the greatest weight in determining which products to buy and consequently, which companies to support. Also, the two articles featured above don’t really provide… Read more »

luminous
luminous

Mineral oil creates a heavy, oily, greasy, film on my hair… no thank you.

P
P

Logically, you would think if mineral oil was not that bad for your hair and small natural companies would use that ingredient because its cheaper. Business 101, minimize your cost to maximize your profit. So thats a bunk theory. I used products with mineral oil in the past and my I hate the greasiness of it. I hate touching my hair and still being able to feel crap on top of it. Same with silicones.… tried em and they just dont work with me.

mimi
mimi

Sorry I’ll pass. Pink oil and greasing just did’nt work for me when I became an adult. To much dandruff and to much grease and dirt, which is fine when you pay someone else to do your hair. I could never see myself going back to pink…sure I had that fresh glossing relaxed hair glow but my scalp was in hell. NO MAS!! NO MAS!!

I have both low end, mid range and some expensive splurges and I cant go back to mineral oil.

SA
SA

I never really bought into the hype about mineral oil being bad for the hair/scalp, nothing but scare tactics. It may work for some and it may not as with any other product, its best to use what works best for you rather than relying on what a person says or thinks about a product. When I was younger my mother used good ole fashion ultra sheen hair grease on my hair/scalp on wash days and my hair never suffered„ it was mbl and the pores on my scalp were never clogged my hair grew just fine lol. Natural oils quickly… Read more »

Keisha
Keisha

that Dax Pomade is sooo hard to wash out of my hair.

carla
carla

My skin is very acne prone and would never go back to mineral oil products, I don’t care what the “new information” say. Plus mineral oil dries my hair out like crazy, plus I have to use a harsh shampoo to get it out. There are too many oils out there that doesn’t do that to me.

zyaran
zyaran

If the product works for your hair I say use it whether you’re relaxed or natural. Alot of the so called bad products really do well on the hair esp. if you know how to take care of it. So if mineral oil works for you then use it, because it does not hurt my hair.

Starla
Starla

I have nothing against it personally, it just doesn’t work for me. My hair and body also hates jojoba oil which is all natural.

trackback

[…] Rethinking Mineral Oil? | Black Girl with Long Hair Be adventurous – try mineral oil……………yes mineral oil/vaseline/dax pomade. It is a better ‘sealant’ than many natural oils. Let me repeat that in bold – mineral oil prevents water evaporating from hair much better than …http://bglhonline.com/2011/08/ .. […]

Jack
Jack

I hate mineral oil…it just sat on my hair and greased up everything it touched. I had to stop using grease on my scalp because it irritated it so much…it gave me horrible, horrible dandruff that took forever to go away. I don’t put anything on my scalp anymore, definitely not mineral oil. All my experiences with mineral oil and petrolatum have been like what I’ve been told about the products. They just didn’t work for my natural hair anymore. Also, if it seals moisture in, after it’s on your hair it would keep from any moisture from getting back… Read more »

aiych
aiych

Funny, mineral oil gives me no trouble when used as a sealant but coconut oil on the other hand **side eye**. I’m glad I found a replacement for coconut oil because it was giving my skin hell and made my hair greasy even in small amounts. Doesn’t seal as good as mineral oil either. I love mineral oil as a sealant but don’t like when it’s mixed into hair products since I like to use it as a final step. I use it only after I have applied a water/oil spritz and a heavy, natural moisturizer. Sealing with unscented mineral… Read more »

Elle

I’m one of those people who grew up using products that contained both mineral oil and pertoleum jelly (Dax, Soft Sheen, Sulfur 8, etc)before and after relaxing and never had a problem with hair health. Then I went back to natural last year and got fanatical about avoiding those products and my natural hair just isn’t as healthy as I think it should be. I’m planning to go back to basics and see what happens.

Sidne
Sidne

Back in the day, i always moisturized my hair, i did not seal. I used Moisture Max, white bottle with blue letters. i brushed my hair, yes i brushed my hair but it was with a wig brush and i did not yank it. I did wear buns and ponytails the entire winter and spring, when summer came I worn my hair down most of the time, I continued the moisturizing adding oil, most of the time a little mineral oil and at times a oil mixture like hot six or something. My hair and my daughters grew well and… Read more »

Anissa
Anissa

I think people should use whatever works for them. I do not understand why mineral oil is so bad all of a sudden when there were naturals back in the day using products with mineral oil. Some people had long hair and others were short. I say if it works, keep using it. I am tempted to get the Blue Magic Coconut Grease. I like the smell.

anonymous
anonymous
Reply to  Anissa

I do too, lol. But remember there is actually a difference between mineral oil and petrolatum which is in Blue Magic. Petrolatum and lanolin are the best moisturizers but they do not wash out as easily as the isolated component, mineral oil. Therein is the problem…if it is hard to remove it will build up and dry your hair out. You can compensate by using less, or you can just use mineral oil which washes out easily. My info on how I use is down below under anonymous. You can use the laxative brand which is thicker and perfume free… Read more »

Cathey
Cathey

Well, for me, no Mineral Oil and Petroleum. However, in the past, when I used Sulfate shampoos, it worked wonders. Also, growing up I pressed my hair and of course then, I used grease.

Tanya
Tanya

I was shocked last week when I tried Organic Root Stimulator Smooth and Hold Pudding (which has mineral oil as it’s third ingredient, preceded by water and coconut oil) and my hair was the softest it’s ever been! I normally dc with coconut oil added to my conditioners. I am a coconut oil lover, but my hair never felt this soft and amazing. And it lasted for days. I’m definitely rethinking the issue. I was with sulfate shampoos (didn’t in the past, but I have been for over a year)so I’m not worried about it. I live in a very… Read more »

Princesssookeh
Princesssookeh

the thing with the mineral oil is it just leaves me and my scalp feeling greasy, but just as brittle as ever. And don’t even get me started on the nasty feeling that Vaseline can give(can’t touch anything after). >_< natural oils leave me feeling clean and moist and it actually softens instead of just slicking it. Sure it costs more and has to be reapplied a bit more often, but i think i’m better off without mineral oil.

Mariana
Mariana

Mineral oil isn’t biodegradable… and so are sulphates. That’s the biggest problem.

anonymous
anonymous

Yes I use mineral oil only on my hair after shampooing and my hair has never been healthier. This person is understating mineral oil. Mineral oil is the best detangler and moisturizer. It is all natural and does not clog pores. For ppl who say that it does not work, I suspect incorrect usage. Mineral oil needs to be applied to clean hair. Coatings from frequent product usage may make it less effective. My hair is very very vulnerable to build up and it can happen in just a day. I do not use conditioners or other hair products because… Read more »

Vonda Moore
Vonda Moore

I have been natural for over 4 years and read up on everything in regards to taking care of my natural hair. Of course, nothing good was said about mineral oil. I proceeded to toss every hair product that contained it. But shortly after, I noticed my hair was dry, brittle and breaking in spite of all the things I was purchasing, devoid of MO, that was supposed to bring my hair back to life. One day I broke down and used a product that contained the taboo MO and in less than a week, my hair was back to… Read more »

Annoymous
Annoymous

Sorry for the typos. My cousin has extremely long hair and she uses blue magic. Today, I went back to buying products with mineral oil, because the natural oils have not given me the level of moisture use to have before starting to use all nature oils. Based on my research, I will use a mixture of coconut, castor, and other oils as a pre-poo, because of their nutrients and will stop my hair from absorbing too much water and losing protein when shampooing, then I will use a moisture based conditioner and possibly use cholesterol that contains mineral oil last… Read more »