Products with the best hold

Avatar • Aug 4, 2011

Singer Janelle Monae

Melanie says;

Some products claim to give “hold” but frankly, do a terrible job. I won’t name the product that I’m currently side eyeing… but suffice it to say I’m really annoyed.

I mainly need hold to define my twists and also keep my flyaways down. What would your reader suggest?

What are your thoughts ladies? Which products provide the best hold?

LaFemmeRouge
LaFemmeRouge

I’ve had good success with the Kera Care Natural Textures Twist and Define cream for styling my two-strand twists…

Beth
Beth
Reply to  LaFemmeRouge

Agreed! And might I add that KeraCare will happily bless you with samples upon your request. I e‑mailed them and got a response the same day asking for my shipping address! The twist & define cream leaves my hair shiny and soft with excellent definition; maybe it’ll work for others too.

Moni
Moni
Reply to  LaFemmeRouge

Does it offer good hold for out styles in humidity? I’m thinking of getting it to use on my braidouts but I’m worried about the glycerin…

Kaya
Kaya

Still searching for a non gel product that has really good hold but right now my favorite is Bee Mine bee hold curly butter.

Cristine
Cristine
Reply to  Kaya

Yes! Bee Mine Bee Hold Curly Butter is amazing. I just have to use a water-based leave-in to moisturize underneath so my hair stays moisturized. I love this stuff!

Cj
Cj

I’m side-eyeing a product today too after my twistout went “A‑wall” this week. lol. I have to say that I have not yet found a non-gel product that I actually like for twistouts. Yes, they leave my hair soft and smelling good, but give me good ole loc and twist gel or styling gel any day for a twistout.

ABdS
ABdS

I’ll take some Aveda Phomollient (soft frizz free hold) or Aveda Aloe and Flax Seed gel (harder frizz free hold a little goes a very long way) over a creamy butter based leave in styler/sealer every day!!!

The phomollient is the more versatile product as it can be used for setting hair for roller sets and blowouts as well. 🙂

ABdS
ABdS
Reply to  ABdS

…I should say layered over a creamy butter based etc etc etc…

kd
kd

Kuza Soft Set Gel. My hairdresser introduced it to me years ago when I got my first coil twists and I’ve never looked back. It doesn’t dry white and the price can’t be beat (depending on the store $1.29 — $1.99 for 8 oz) I have extremely porous hair and it just works for me.

Vick
Vick

I used Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie + Crisco for a braidout and twist out on dry hair and it gave decent hold.

LaFemmeRouge
LaFemmeRouge
Reply to  Vick

Yes, I have to use aloe vera gel with the Curl Enhancing Smoothie in order to get a decent hold…

bee
bee

hyas anyone tried oyins shine and define? i’dlove to try it

cygnet
cygnet
Reply to  bee

Yes. When Curlynikki had her first year bloggerversary, that was one of her celebratory give-aways for that week, and I won it. I later posted a review of it on her site. Here’s the link: http://www.curlynikki.com/2009/10/cygnets-review-of-oyin-define-and-shine.html

I’ve since realized that, with proper moisturization and handling, my curls don’t really need a lot of product to define them; they will find their way to curly readily enough on their own. So although I actually have Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie now, I’m not using it as a curl styler but as a moisturizer. In that capacity, it works plenty well for me.

Efe
Efe

Miss jessies curly pudding has awesome hold. Cons- price and not very moisturizing on its own. but you can use a leave in underneath, plus little goes a long way.

CJ
CJ

Oyin shine and define and add a little (I mean a little) burnt sugar pomade to seal gives me great hold and a beautiful shine. I do not use any gel.

binks
binks

I love Organic Root Stimulator lock and twist Gel it works great for me and is a reasonable price

Courtney
Courtney
Reply to  binks

I love this product too! Works great on my 4b/4c curls. Also Carol’s Daughter loc butter. It tends to be a little “greasy” but works amazing for definiton and hold. Not as resonably priced as the Organic Root Stimulator though.

smallfro
smallfro

I have to say I get great hold from all butters/oils. I have very coily hair (4a/b). I find that the key is to let the style set long enough. I usually leave my braids or twist in for at least 2–3 days prior to unraveling. If I unravel on day 1 — I can only get 1–2 days per style. If I twist on Friday, remove on Monday — I can generally get at least 5–7 days on a twist/braid/flat twist/cornrow out. This has been consistent no matter the product. However, my favorites are Qhemet’s Burdock root cream, Shea… Read more »

smallfro
smallfro

Forgot to mention, if wearing twist or braids, sitting under dryer x 10–20 minutes right after placement really helps with the frizzes. I think it melts the butters and oils and hold the style together, or at least that is my theory.

Dee (Durelene) loving ACV

I say whip shea butter does the job

A Dub
A Dub

I’m surprised nobody said flaxseed gel… You can mess with the smell via EO and can add aloe vera gel to it for moisture…

eSPy
eSPy

I recently purchased Ms. Jessie’s curly pudding it has great hold for twist outs… I use it on top of another moisturizer such as Shea moisture curl enhancing smoothie or Mizani butter creme / coconut souffle

But if I want my edges layed down, its aloe Vera gel or MAYBE a lil Eco styler olive oil

Jessica
Jessica

I use eco styler the clear bottle and it gives me really nice hold.

Eva
Eva

i use Eco styler olive oil gel. its cheap (about 4 bucks), alcohol- free and doesnt dry my hair or give me flaking. only product ive been using for my twist outs for two yrs.

Terra
Terra

i have been a hairstylist for 6 yrs and have been wearing my hair natural for 4 yrs..and in my salon i use mizani products…the have a line just for natural curl…love it..it holds very well

trackback

This is my Excerpt…

I saw this really great post today.…

Rae
Rae

I use Miss Jessie’s Curly Meringue for two-strand twists and sit under the dryer for like 45 minutes to an hour. I do put a leave-in underneath. Each day I just rub some Miss Jessie’s Buttercreme/Baby Buttercreme over twists without disrupting them and it stays really soft and while the dryer shrinks them up due to me being 4b/4c by using buttercreme each day they begin to fall/loosen. I have been tempted to use the Curl Enhancing Smoothing. I did another big chop so right now no twisting but I’m growing it out again. Trying to stay away from mineral… Read more »

Terri
Terri

I mix shea butter and Keracare twist and define cream, works very well.