Eileen // Natural Hair Style Icon

Avatar • Aug 12, 2011

Where do you live?
E:
I live in Henrico, VA but I’m reppin Richmond,VA (born & raised). I’m a SAHM, stay at home mommy.

Why did you go natural?
E:
I started having these horrible head pains, not just headaches but even in my skull hurting. I couldn’t figure out what the heck was going on, I had just done a relaxer the month before. I woke up one morning and said ‘enough is enough’. I got online and started doing research about going natural, looking at videos on YouTube, talking to friends who were natural and getting feedback from them. Once I felt comfortable, felt like I had the strength to start, I dove in and started the journey, never looking back. The moment I stopped with the relaxers my health improved. I started feeling better.

How did you transition into natural hair?
E:
I started the journey in July 2010. I didn’t really do to much. I’d looked into BC’ing but felt I wasn’t ready soooo I’ve been trimming my ends overtime, and just letting my natural growth do it’s thing, pushing the relaxer slowly but surely out. Now that’s it’s been a year since I hit that creamy crack up I’m thinking maybe I need to get that BC and do away with what’s left of the relaxer. Those scraggly ends are killing a girl 😛

In what ways (if any) has going natural affected you?
E:
I’ve gained patience with my hair. I’ve been forced to buckle down. At one time I just didn’t have the patience and started seeing my hair fall out, unhealthy and a hot mess. Being natural/transitioning into natural you’re going to have to learn take your time, understand that things don’t just happen overnight.

How would you describe your hair?
E:
Moisture hungry, eating up any moisture put into it, not to mention water. Since i started my journey one thing I took note of right off the bat was to keep a spray bottle on hand with plenty water in it. My hair has always been thick, it runs in the family. At times my hair can be temperamental. Some days it does what I want and then there are days when I just stand in front the mirror thinking “Why today?!?! Can’t you please just bear with a girl?”

What is a brief description of your regimen
E:
For shampoo I use Shea Moisture’s Moisture Rentention Shampoo. For conditioner TRESemme’s Natural’s Nourishing Moisture Conditioner. Deep conditioner is Proclaim’s Argan Oil Intense Hydrating Masque. Leave in is Blue Magic’s Argan Oil with Vitamin E. For moisturizing on a day to day basis Elasta QP’s Mango Butter Moisturizing Cream.

What mistakes have you made with your hair that you’ve learned from?
E:
Overkill with products, slathering everything I could think of on my hair all at once. BIG NO NO! It just weighed my hair down, made it hard to style. You live & learn as they say.

What’s the best/most effective thing you do for your hair?
E:
Condition/deep conditioning. I noticed the moment I started really conditioning my hair it started looking better, feeling better. Adding my tea tree, vitamin E & raw shea butter oils into the mix really bumped things up also. I think that’s why I tend to lean more towards my conditioners than shampoo because I notice what conditioning has done. I will say I’m a co-wash girl all day, everyday:)

Is there a blog/webpage where we can find you?
E:
Yes, on YouTube: SassyBeauty84. I’m also in the BGLH Forum, username Eileen Pitts.

zyaran
zyaran

Wow your hair is gorgeous, and it looks so soft and fluffy. I love the hair color as well is that a rinse or semi-permanent color?

eileen
Reply to  zyaran

it’s Bigen’s Semi Permanent Color in RR3 (ruby red) on the box it looked bright and that’s kinda what i was going for.i wanted something bold,bright.in need of a change but it came out a tad darker,not so much you can’t see it but it’s not the bright that was on the box which i’m okay with.it’s a change but nothing to out there that would have people like “geez” :)on my mommy though it popped,a little to much for her liking.she actually had to get something darker because it was sooo red,to much for her.lool

Pretdva
Pretdva
Reply to  eileen

Your hair and the color is beautiful!!! And you are a beautiful black queen as well. Blessings.

Shelli
Reply to  Pretdva

OMG, I love the color too and the shape and those curls!!! It’s absolutely gorgeous! How is your hair styled in the first pic (disregard if you’ve already answered below as I haven’t scrolled through the rest of the comments yet to see if you were already asked and answered this question! LOL!).

Shelli
Reply to  Shelli

Okay, I see you did answer below … ABORT! ABORT! LOL!!

Nycole
Nycole

OMG talk about one of the best interviews. Love the fact she is a SAHM her hair looks so good from the Bold curls to the great summer color. Talk about sassy but class love seeing natural hair looks so fab keep it going girl!

ChristinaHMoore
ChristinaHMoore

Your hair is cute and that shade of pink looks pretty on you.

lrandle23
lrandle23

I love your hair but most of all your skin is gorgeous and radiant!!! What do you use?

Kia
Kia

Beautiful! And yeeees, reppin’ Richmond, VA, that’s where I’m from, born and raised! I am loving the hair color, and I really want to dye my hair, but am concerned about it drying my hair out. I moisturize a lot now so I don’t have a big problem with dryness, but I was wondering, did you notice any problems with your hair being dryer after you colored it?

marie hilton
marie hilton

Your curls are beautiful. What did you do to make them so big and curly? I’m a natural but haven’t perfected any styles that I like so I always end up covering my hair up with a hat or scarf or something.

eileen

okay lets see if i can answer all you goddess’s question in one swoop 😉 for the color it’s Bigen Semi Permanent in RR3(ruby rage) the first time i used it i thought “oh yeah this color is just going to POP” got ready to rinse and all the color came out.was a little red but nothing like i’d hoped.i tried it again but this time i waited a month/month and a half then tried it again but this time i washed my hair,completely ridding it of ALL products and it took.i think that’s where i went wrong in such a haste… Read more »

eileen

for my skin i use Nubian Heritage’s African Black Soap w/ vitamin E.if i need a scrub i make my own.just sugar,a little honey,your choice of oil(s) for me it’s either tea tree oil or vitamin E oil.mega care’s tubes of oil which if sold in other area like here where i’am there going to be 99 cents,everything together in a bowel or whatever you may choose,i stir with a butter knife.actually works very well with mixing.you don’t need to use alot unless your working on rough areas such as knee caps,heel on your foot.also you don’t need to scrub… Read more »

eileen

as far as dryness after coloring i don’t have a issue with it now.at one time( when relaxed & coloring.oh yeah) i think it’s because i co-wash a lot.just constant moisture and being that it’s semi perm it’s not as harsh as say perm.i make sure after i do color to do a intense condition.for that i use Proclaim’s Argan Oil Intense Hydrating Masque. i sleep with it in overnight that way if my hair should be attempting to dry out i knock that out right away 🙂

Starla
Starla

You should be modeling something, what I don’t know. Your hair is just hawt and your skin is even hawter. I have to say that top pic have you looking all mamacita..lol

rosie
rosie

beautiful hair.

APRIL

I Love your hair and the color looks great on you! Pink is def a great color for you1

Monique

I love your style, you are so beautiful

Jazz