6 Ways To Make an Updo More Interesting

Avatar • Aug 30, 2011

Updos are a go-to style for many women. Not only do they do a great job of tucking and protecting ends — which in turn helps with length retention — they work on multiple hair lengths, and add an instant element of class. If you’re tired of doing a basic updo style, try these tips to make things more interesting.

Add Rolls

Rolls create volume and add interest. Click here for a tutorial for this style.

Add Volume In the Front

Volume in the front is flattering on almost any face shape. Just make sure you keep the rest of the style smooth and low. Read a tutorial for this style here.

Add Cornrows

Cornrows add instant flair. Just make sure they’re neat and even. See more photos of this look here.

Pull it to the Center

If you have the length, try pulling all your hair to the center and creating a roll that goes down the entire length of your scalp. See more looks from Noddy here.

Incorporate Big Braids

Incorporate large braids into your updo. Try french braiding the back or creating three or four large braids in the front. Watch a tutorial for this style here.

Play Up Your Lips

By pulling hair off the face updos emphasize eyes, lips and bone structure. Play it up with a bold lipstick color. See more looks from Neytiri here.

So ladies, what do you think of our tips? How do you snazz up your updo? Feel free to share photos in the comment box!

Pam
Pam

This is exactly what I needed!! My length is just getting to the point where I can do updos, this very helpful! Thanks!!

claudine

i love both looks. its really beautiful;
i am a Cameroonian and updo like these ‚well , are looked upon as weird
i love innovating looks and this suits me personality.
i tried to do something similar even tho i have braids on but
my colleagues didn’t find it interesting. they thought it was conspicuous
but i loved it !
[img]http://bglhonline.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/yy.jpg[/img]
[img]http://bglhonline.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/_.jpg[/img]

sheree
sheree
Reply to  claudine

well i love it too!!! it’s so intricate! who cares if it’s conspicuous? it has spunk!

jacque
jacque

That’s an awesome style on you young lady, you wear it well!

ReShonda Parker

I love updos!
[img]http://bglhonline.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/Photo on 2011-08-27 at 23.02 #2.jpg[/img]

DeLisa Gill-Thames
DeLisa Gill-Thames

I have natural hair and updoes add sophistication and elegance to a casual look worn during the day.

Tinuke

My hair is still short but I pull off updos all the time.I love updos because I manipulate my fine hair less with them.
[img]http://bglhonline.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/IMG_6311.jpg[/img]

Alisha Anderson
Alisha Anderson

Hi, I am Alisha Anderson. I have found your site not so long ago, but try to read every new article as i see your site as one of those interesting places online (it’s not such an usual case nowadays). This week i had an interesting discussion about (http://bglhonline.com/2011/08/6‑ways-to-make-an-updo-more-interesting/) with my colleagues and i’m going to write about it. Your site looks a perfect place for an article on this topic. So if you would like that, it would be great if you could post it on your site. And that’s absolutely free of cause. Let me know here anderson.alisha8@gmail.com if you are interested.… Read more »

Danielle

#1 new file sharing site. http://upurfiles.com

Caryn Seipp

not when they genuinely dont care about our survival which they dont it could be bullshit but when it does materialize it would likely be somthing such as this . NO warning in any respect, thats why all of the important governments in the earth are actually developing underground bunkers which most likely want do the job anyway