What does a simple natural hair regimen look like? [Thread]

Avatar • Jul 11, 2011

[Photo Source]

Reader Teesha says;

I was listening in very closely on the recent discussion, “Can being over-zealous with your regimen hurt your hair?” Like the author, Abii, I too am guilty of doing too much with my hair. I think somewhere in the back of my head I have the belief that the more I do, the better my hair will grow. In some ways — and for many women, I’m guessing — it’s counter intuitive to believe that less is more when it comes to our newly discovered natural hair.

To be quite honest I don’t even know what a simple natural hair regimen looks like! So I was wondering if your readers could share their simple regimens and, if possible, include photos of their hair. It would help me out SO MUCH to know the simple steps that real women are taking to maintain healthy, vibrant, growing natural hair.

Great idea Teesha! Alright ladies, please share your SIMPLE regimens below. Help Teesha get an idea what this looks like! Remember, only simple regimens allowed!

krenea
krenea

For my 4b hair, I wash weekly with Terressential Pure Earth Hair Wash in the shower. Out of the shower I then apply Qhemet Biologic’s Moringa Tree Conditioning Ghee, Cocoa Tree Detangling Ghee, and Aethiopika Hydrate & Twist Butter in sections (and in that order), detangle and style. Hydration, softness, super easy detangling, and hold all week long.

CurlyInTheA
CurlyInTheA

My regimen is quite simple, even though my product stash would say otherwise. Simplifying things over the years has saved me lots of dough. I don’t buy expensive products, and prefer to use natural products that I can purchase on the ground as much as possible. Co-wash with VO5/HE Hello Hydration. Shampoo with Creme of Nature when needed. DC with Silicon Mix once a week. Style (W&G) with VO5/HE as a leave-in, coconut oil, and EcoStyler w/Argan oil or Aloe Vera gel. I wet my hair daily with this method, so I really only co-wash once a week. Or, blowdry/press with cupacau… Read more »

AJ
AJ

Rinse when it feels like it needs a rinsin’ (once a week? Week and a half?). Two french braids to let it dry (large twists if I’m feelin’ fancy). Stretched, my hair barely reaches my shoulders, but it’s long enough to twist or braid into a low ponytail or to the back of my head with ends tucked (takes 6 minutes). I use Kinky Curly Knot Today every few days when my hair feels really dry but I don’t feel like rinsing it.

My hair also feels better after a dip in a natural spring- go swimming.
Enjoy summer!

Lisha

-Shampoo (Alberto VO5 Moisture Milks) ‑condition (Alberto VO5 Moisture Milks) & gently detangle ‑apply leave-in to damp hair ‑seal in moisture (petroleum jelly or a ‘grease’) :O ‑style (usually 12–14 plaits, but I twist sometimes, too). I do this every Sunday night. Doesn’t take long, and it’s pretty simple to me. I try not to bother my hair so much like I used to, and I keep the products to a minimum. I may get the side eye for my use of petro jelly, but it’s a great sealant. However, it doesn’t go on my scalp, and I shampoo regularly. My… Read more »

Marybeth
Reply to  Lisha

Yes girl! I am rediscovering the convenience of mineral oil. It, too, can be a great sealant. I may get lots of side eyes, but it has worked for me especially when I can’t get to shea butter right away.

LaNeshe

On a Sunday -
‑Pre-poo with coconut oil or Burts Bees Avacado Pre-Poo
‑Shampoo with Shea Moisture Yucca Shampoo or Co-Wash with Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose Conditioner(I switch it up every other week)
Condition/
‑Condition/Detangle with Longhairlovers Luxe Conditioner or the same Aubrey Organics I co-washed with
‑Moisturize with Kinky Curly Knot Today
‑Seal with whippped shea butter
‑Style as desired. I usually twist my hair up on Sunday and take it out Friday

kn
kn

i believe you figure out what products work for your hair through trial and error AND a clean scalp = growth. that being said…

once a week (as needed): prepoo with coconut oil and lightly detangle, shampoo, deep condition, apply leave in + sealant, comb through and style

nightly: stretch hair if worn in an ‘out’ style by braiding/twisting and wear a satin scarf

every other day or every 2–3 days: re-moisturize and seal

gs
gs

wash — shea moisture organic raw shea butter shampoo
rinse
condition — olive oil under shea moisture deep condition mask
detangle with conditioner in.
rinse
leave — in — kimmaytube mix.
style as usual.

*honey… boom* keep it movin.

gs
gs
Reply to  gs

I was doing pretty much the same thing when I was relaxed, minus the relaxer. I just replaced the perm with detangling and replaced the blowdryer for the twisting. Pretty much takes the same amount of time either way. 🙂

deena
deena

judging my the comments already posted, there is none. lol..jk. a simple regimen is if it feels like it needs a washing, wash it with whatever works for your hair. If it feels like it needs a trim, trim it. If it feels like it needs a deep condition or clarifier, deep condition or clarify it. drink water, take viatmins, eat fruits and veggies. you just go with the flow. the longer im natural the more i really just dont care as much and my hair responds better because of the reduced stress.

LaFemmeRouge
LaFemmeRouge

Wng:
Wash with Kinky Curl Come Clean
Detangle with HEHH
Apply leave in, Kinky Curly Knot Today
Rake Kinky Curly Curling Custand in sections
Shake head really hard, really fast
Done

sarah
Reply to  LaFemmeRouge

this is me as well, except i use HETT to cowash leave a bit of that as a leave in, so i eliminate KCKT, but seal with avocado or castor oil before applying KCCC in six sections. oh, and i use J&J baby shampoo instead of Come Clean.

K.
K.

I don’t have the time/energy for all the extra. Very similar to Lisha above, Sunday night routine: Shampoo (in shower) Condition (in shower) & lightly detangle w/ shower comb Split hair in 4 sections Apply leave in & seal w/ oil Detangle w/ Denman (takes 10 mins tops b/c hair was combed in shower) Apply some type of butter and put in 10–12 plaits for braidout (when feeling lazy I skip the butter and just braid) During the week I just put on a bonnet at night. I rarely feel like re-braiding so I just wear a puff when my braidout starts… Read more »

Eboni
Eboni

Products
Shampoo: Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose
Condition: Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose Moisturizing Cond., Qhemet Biologics Moringa Tree Conditioning Ghee
Styler: Qhemet Biologics Amla & Olive Heavy Cream
Oil: Procclaim Natural 7 Oil/Argan Oil

Regimen
1) Deep condition w/Aubrey Organics Cond. overnight
2) Shampoo
3) Moringa Tree Cond. Ghee as a leave-in
4) Heavy Cream for/on my twists
5) Seal my hair (not just the ends, but each twist) with the Argan Oil
6) Enjoy the protective style for 2 weeks!! 😀

Bee
Bee

I pre-poo with a mix of oils or phyto scalp treatment. On wash day I section hair and detangle each section after applying detangling condish (everyday shea). After detangling, I braid each section and wash hair in braids with dudu-osum shampoo. Then after I unravel a section, apply deep conditioner to it, comb through and twist the section with the dc in (in all about 5 sections). I rinse out dc section by section, apply castor oil,and re-braid the section. I let hair dry in the braids (about 5) and next (few) day(s), I twist with shea butter mix (as… Read more »

Lauren
Lauren

About once a week, I: Wash — Chargin Valley Soap’s Aryruvedic shampoo bar Deep Condition — Oyin’s Honey Hemp Conditioner Moisturize/Style — Oyin’s Whipped Pudding and Oyin’s Shine and Define Seal — Oyin’s Burnt Sugar Pomade I use pretty much the same products and order no matter what style I do (WnG, twists, twistout, puff). I usually don’t remositurize during the week and I will co-wash mid week if my hair feels dry or if I just want my hair curlier/twistouts bigger after a few days. My hair was mid back (stretched) before my recent haircut and now it is about… Read more »

T.
T.

This is my routine: I usually wear my hair in twists or plaits, like 99% of the time. I like it this way because it’s low maintenance and involves less day-to-day styling. I wash my hair, in the twists/plaits, about once a week and follow with a conditioner and an oil/butter. In between shampoos, I condition/co-wash every couple of days (I think this is the thing that has been most beneficial to my hair), and sometimes I follow that up with oil, depending on how my hair is feeling. When I remember I spritz my hair with a mix of… Read more »

BigSyd
BigSyd

It took me a long time to get to this point, but being a broke college student kind of forces you to have a simple hair routine!!! lol

Hair products: water, olive oil, shea butter
Wash once every two weeks with natures gate conditioner. (any kind)
Let hair air dry and moisturize with sheabutter/olive oil.
I put my hair in eight large twists at night and wear a satin scarf.
I own a comb or two but I usually finger comb.
[img]http://bglhonline.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/funzies 044.JPG[/img]

This is a close up of my hair

Nedra
Reply to  BigSyd

Definitely feel you — I’m not a college student but I’m an expat and I definitely don’t have money to spend on shipping and handling, so I pretty much just wash with hello hydration shampoo, condition with their conditioner, slap in some giovanni direct( i brought it with me) and seal with shea. That is it, not even a DC cuz there’s no point without heat. My hair is doing quite well, its growing and while I do have some single strand knots, I don’t think there’s any product or hyped up regimen that could help it

q
q

Terressential Pure Earth Hair Wash, KCCC, air dry. That’s it!

df
df
Reply to  q

You win!!

iamqd
iamqd
Reply to  df

yay! lol

Chizzy D

for my 2yr old locs, i wash when i feel the need, moisturize when i feel the need, and lightly twist with moisturizer when i feel like it.
And my hair AlWAYS looks amazing.

thelady
thelady

I wash/condition/braid my hair on Sundays. Monday and Tuesday I pin the braids back into a bun. Wednesday I unbraid. Thursday-Saturday I separate with my fingers and go. Occasionally I’ll put some coconut oil on my edges if they seem dry. I sleep with a bonet every night.

lola
lola

Wash weekly :,tresemme naturals shampoo
Condition 2ce week : tresemme naturals condt
Sealant: coconut oil / sunflower oil
Leavein : giovanni smooth as silk
Protein conditioner 1ce a month : africa’s best hair mayor
[img]http://bglhonline.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/1305911757752.jpg[/img]

Elle

As a person with 2 year old locs, my routine is pretty simple.
my products include 3 things:

suave rosemarymint shampoo (wash once a week)
water (mositure)
castor oil/ peppermint oil mix for twisting (and sealing in water/moisture)

there is no gel in my regimen because my hair will loc regardless and it takes care of unnecessary buildup/flaking.

i love my locs =]

mangomadness
mangomadness

Once a week I… ‑Section dampened, stretched hair into 8 parts ‑Section-by-section, finger-detangle w/ coconut oil and two-strand twist ‑Shampoo and ACV rinse (while keeping twisted sections intact) ‑Squeeze water out of hair w/ towel until 90% dry, moisturize w/ SM Deep Treatment Masque and braid hair for a braid out (16 braids) ‑Air-dry overnight I wear the braid out as is (%90 of the time) or style it into something else (puff, bun, updo, etc). I keep my hair stretched throughout the week by re-braiding every other night (this keeps the style fresh and makes detangling a breeze). If I style… Read more »

Shelli Gillis

I think it all depends on how you define simple. If you define simple as limited steps, that’s one thing. If you define it as limited products, that’s another. If you define it as limited frequency, that’s yet another. If you mean all three things, there are probably very few people that can provide a regimen with that much simplicity, though there are a few. I think my regimen has become relatively simple, but to others it would be complex. I pre-poo, wash, condition and DC once a week. I apply a leave-in and lately have been putting my hair… Read more »

Shelli Gillis

Shelli Gillis
Reply to  Shelli Gillis

Oh, and simple styling is a fourth! Sorry about the duplicate post. I hit post before I added the pics and thought I was able to stop the pictureless post. Guess not. Thanks!

Chrys225
Chrys225
Reply to  Shelli Gillis

I totally agree with you, and i think im a part of the “very few people”.

I do a mask every 3 weeks.
and moisturize and seal my ends every two days (doesn’t take more than 2 minutes).
I don’t use more than 4 products.
my mask, my water moisturizer and a butter to seal.
and my hair is in protective style during 3 weeks, so I don’t touch my hair for long days.

Selah
Selah

Currently, although my regimen is still evolving as I learn about my hair more:

Co-wash twice a week.
Deep condition once a week.
Henna once a month (although I did it back-to-back-to-back for 3 weeks to get results quickly).
Moisturize after washing with leave-in conditioner (Garnier Fructis).
Seal with shea butter-oil mixture.
Style.
🙂

Lita
Lita

4a/4b whatever thick dense hair.

Wash whenever (once a week, or so) with whichever sulfate free baby shampoo the supermarket has. Cider vinegar rinse, maybe leave in conditioner.

Sometimes I blow dry on a low heat, and always put in four or so cornrows with a dab of monoi de tahiti. Rebraid most nights (high puff on lazy nights) with a little bit of monoi and a spray of water, either in four or two cornrows, and where a braid- out or a puff, or bun.

vanisha

FINALLY a post that i can relate to lol. i’m all about being simple when it comes to my hair, I don’t have time to go to professionals and all of that extra mess. I keep a few products.. and I keep them consistant with my hair. LUSH.com is an amazing place to buy your shampoo and conditioner from. I swim like 4 times a week, so I always keep a great conditioner on hand, a leave in. OLIVE OIL AND SHEA BUTTER NEVER FAIL ME!

Beth
Beth

Broke college student here! I shampoo with whatever I’ve got. My natural friends who try out everything under the sun like to give me unwanted products, and I’m glad to take them. Lately it’s been Aubrey Organics White Camelia Moisturizing shampoo. Every 2 weeks. I deep condition with Herbal Essences Hello Hydration mixed with coconut oil. I need to find a better DC though. My low porosity hair rejects everything. 🙁 I air dry in braids after applying a good leave in — lately it’s been Shea Moisture Conditioning Milk, which is ok. I always have to seal my ends with something… Read more »

Cher Nikki
Cher Nikki

I like to keep it simple. Wash every two-three weeks. Detangle Shampoo (Giovanni Tea Tree) Condition (HE HH or Giovanni Tea Tree) Dry hair with t‑shirt Put in leave-in Kinky Curly Knot Today and Shea Butter Twist and pin up into an up do (I work out frequently so it easier to deal with this way) After about a week (maybe two) I will take the twist down and rock a twist out for another week (maybe two)…mid way I will put the hair in a twist out puff or bun. When the twist are in I will rinse my hair in the… Read more »

Kamika

Simple is where it’s at! The simpler it is the more apt I’m willing to stick with it.

Every 2 weeks:
1. Prepoo & Detangle
2. Shampoo & Condition
3. ACV Tea Rinse & Leave-In
4. Style

Every Week:
1. Cowash and/or rinse at least twice a week
2. Seal in moisture with oil
3. Retwist any areas of my style that have gotten frizzy or loose.

Aisha

Wash-terresentials pure earth hair was
seal-oil and raw shea mixture
DC-when needed
Style however it moves me that day.

Last relaxer- 11/10

Bc- 4/2/11
[img]http://bglhonline.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/IMG_0611.jpg[/img]

df
df
Reply to  Aisha

You and your hair are beautiful!!!

Ashley
Ashley

Wash w/ Aussie Moist
Shake
Go

I do this everyday. Simple.

df
df
Reply to  Ashley

dang now you’re just lucky
my hair would stage a revolution if that’s all i did to it

ballerinagirl
ballerinagirl
Reply to  df

lol me too. My hair would actually go on strike. Your very lucky 🙂

Vette
Vette

Every 7–10 days:

* Finger detangle and prepoo with oil and cond. in 4 sections

* Shampoo and cond. in shower (in the same 4 sections)

*Apply leave in/moisturizer and seal with oil, then style (usually twists)

Daily:
*moisturize once a day (at night usually) with water, moisturizer and oil to seal
*put in 8 large twists and put on scarf and bonnet

Dani
Dani

Simple and cheap! Wash with any clarifying shampoo, apply Aussie Moist conditioner-“doodles” kinky curly method — with Carol’s Daughter Mimosa Hair Honey and Aussie Moist Conditioner, dry with diffuser and it lasts for a week. That’s it!

Dani
Dani

Aussie Moist conditioner is the best!

Vick
Vick

I just listen to my hair and do whatever I want. If I need to shampoo, I do it. Protein? at least once a month. I cowash often because my hair never gets enough moisture.

meshia
meshia

The little girl in the picture is absolutely beautiful.

merry
merry
Reply to  meshia

ikr?

Beth
Beth
Reply to  meshia

My goodness, yes. Her skin and eyes are mezmerizing.

Ain't I an African
Ain't I an African
Reply to  meshia

Oh, she is sooo gorgeous!

sebGirl
sebGirl

as a type 4 something with seb dermatitis — keeping things simple and most importantly natural has been a great help in my hair growth. having been natural for 9 months with a range of 6–9 inches and predominately being 4b/c (im not sure really) my hair journey has been somewhat of a challenge. my seb meant that i couldn’t use commercial hair care products — no conditioners, leave-ins, moisturisers, coconut/olive/castor oil. Nope! none of that. DC was a huge problem to that point where i just stopped all together because my scalp couldn’t handle it. i was also quite… Read more »

solape
solape

usually on sunday

prepoo — EVOO
shampoo — olive oil-creamy aloe shampoo
DC- olive oil:replenishing conditioner / le Kair cholesterol plus
moisturize — organics olive oil leave in + my home made shea butter and EVOO mix
part in to 12 sections and braid off to stretch it ( bc its too shrunken to braid into 2 french braids), the next day i wear it as i please and its stretched enough to be braided in to 2 french braids at night, and i wear my pretty red satin night cap ! 🙂

solape
solape

[img]http://bglhonline.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/Snapshot_20110702_9.jpg[/img]

oh the pic didnt work the first time !

ballerinagirl
ballerinagirl
Reply to  solape

My hair looks like yours yay!! lovely x

Fro
Fro

My wash day is every 2–3 weeks. I shampoo with Aubrey Organics HSR then deep condition with either AO’s HSR or GPB conditioner. After that I uses Knot Today for my leave in, then moisturize/ style with Oyin Handmade’s Whipped Pudding. I usually style my hair in a two strand twist protective style. Pretty simple.

LeAh
LeAh

1. Cleanse with a sulfate free poo
2. Deep condition
3. Creamy Leave-in conditioner/detangler
4. Style with a gel or curl cream (optional)
5. Seal with a light oil or butter
Repeat 1x per week

herlucidsKy

1. Pre-Poo: I sometimes soak my hair with either conditioner or coconut oil and finger detangle before washing. Done is sections. 2. Shampoo: 1x a month, more or less. (As needed) Any good quality non-drying shampoo. Done in sections while in twist. 3. Condition: After every shampoo I detangle while conditioning. Any conditioner that is extremely slippery and creamy for easy detangling. I detangle in sections. 4. Moisturize & Seal : 4x a week (When needed.) I alternate between using my water and vegetable glycerin spritz (50:50 ratio) or sometimes I use Bed head moisture maniac conditioner as a leave-in. I… Read more »

herlucidsKy
Reply to  herlucidsKy

I forgot to add, when I’m just lounging around the house, napping and especially before bed time I always sleep with a satin bonnet. This helps to keep in the moisture and prevent unnecessary friction between your hair and pillows, clothes, sheets, the couches etc etc.

Ayesha
Ayesha

lol — none of these regimens are simple..well maybe like 2 or 3!
Sometimes it seems we are doing way too much. It takes the fun and ease out of being natural…just my thoughts

Nubiahbella
Nubiahbella
Reply to  Ayesha

I thought the same while reading the comments!

some “simple” regiments are very time consuming!

Jc
Jc
Reply to  Ayesha

I actually thought most were relatively simple involving 4 or 5 simple steps once a week.

Ayesha — What would simple look like to you? (Genuinely asking to help because I know that sometimes comments can look like sniping when they were not intended to be!)

Ayesha
Ayesha
Reply to  Jc

Well I keep my hair short, maybe 4–5 inches but my sister’s hair is long and we both only stick with one product. I use veggie glycerin, and KK knot today, she uses shea moisture. We never “touch” our hair except for when we wash/condition it and thats it

I know alot of naturals stress or talk about protective styling, but i cant wrap my head around braiding or twisting it every night or wearing it in these twists and braids and not be able to see it out in its full glory

Once again…just my thoughts

Jc
Jc
Reply to  Ayesha

Alright, I find that for my hair braids are really the simplest and most low maintenance style for me. My hair is 4abcxyz — very kinky and very curly, once it is over 9 inches, tangling is an issue which is why you see many people with similar hair taking the braid or twist route. If you hair does not break easily or if it does but you are not bothered about maintaining or gaining length, having it free all the time is an option. I definitely had a lot of fun too under 6 inches because my hair is happy… Read more »

Ayesha
Ayesha
Reply to  Jc

i like that “4abcxyz “…lol
i dont even know what my type is

ballerinagirl
ballerinagirl

I wash my hair on my days off so maybe once every 7 days. Sometimes its every 4 sometimes 5 or just whenever it feels dirty. 1. Pre Poo with Vatika Oil. I normally then go the gym or do some house work while it sinks in. 2. Shampoo with Aveda Scalp Benefits or Keracare Hydrating Detangling Shampoo in 4 sections. 3. DC every time I wash with ORS Replenishing Deep Condish mixed with Vatika Oil. I sit in the sauna/steam room after my work out. 4. Apply Kimmaytube leave in and detangle 5. Put hair into twists seaingl with Bee Mine Curly… Read more »

pinkgirlfluff
pinkgirlfluff

I shampoo, condish, and put in my cream based moisturizers along with a little gel after a quick detangle every one or two weeks. After that’s done I braid up my hair, let it air dry under a chic wrap for the day. The next day I unravel my braids, seperate, and fluff. Every night I put three braids in the front and put the back in a pony tail. In the mornings I take out and fluff. On my wash days it takes me about thirty minutes to wash, detangle, and braid. My regimen is simple for my lifestyle.… Read more »

Aeleise J

Super simple,

Shampoo with Joico Chelating/or with Paul Mitchell Awaphui (3 min) whichevers needed
Condition And detange in shower (5 min)
Wrap hair in tshirt
Apply leave in
Apply a creme styler and do chunky twists (15 min)

That as it. Regular trims ever 6–8 weeks and I’ve gone from 1/2 to shoulder length in 14 months. Would post a pic but my iPad won’t let me. As a stylist less is better. All the 50/11 steps to natural haircare that most think are necessary are doing the absolute most.

Cleanse/condition/detangle/style is all that’s needed.

Aivlys
Aivlys

I think my regimen is simple.

Once a week (about every 7–10days)
— Hot oil treatment
‑Shampoo with oil rinse
‑Deep condition
‑Detangle, apply leave in, and put in twist to air dry
‑Put in an updo until next wash day

mangomadness
mangomadness

I treat my hair like my hobby. I enjoy pampering it and watching it flourish.” +1

mangomadness
mangomadness
Reply to  mangomadness

I meant to post this as a reply to ballerinagirl’s comment.

Aivlys
Aivlys

Actually, it took me years to finally find a regimen that worked for me ( keeps my hair healthy and moisturized the entire week). Though it may seem intensive to some…it’s the only thing that works for my hair. So in my view, if it works it’s simple! lol

kamille
kamille

Once a week: –Wash with Wen Cleansing Conditioner. –Deep condition with Bentonite Clay (I usually add some extra goodies such as honey, aloe vera gel, coconut oil, tea tree, lavender,rosemary, and clary sage oils). –I use Koils by Nature Sheaaloe leave-in and detangle, then seal with Pura Body Naturals Cupuacu Butter (it’s pricey, but it really does wonders for my dry hair). –Cornrow hair back for the week (I ask my mother to do this for me since I can’t cornrow. Since her cornrowing isn’t the greatest, I usually wear hats or headwraps during the week). –Go about my weekly business with no fuss. –Repeat… Read more »

yesshegrows

The whole “doing too much” thing I think has to do with the excitement of the new hair, at least for me it is 🙂 when I first big chopped a month ago the first thing I did was drop $120 on buying every crap I have ever heard on every blog and forum I read. I can even describe the complexity of my non-regimen, but now 2 month later, I’m still zealous but I try harder to contain myself whew! I mean what else can one do to a TWA? now I wash weekly with a sulfate free shampoo followed by my DC… Read more »

Le Le
Le Le
Reply to  yesshegrows

I cannot lie. miss my hair being that short. So much easier back then. Waking up and going was the easiest part, even though i envied women that had more styling options.

Tara Melissa
Reply to  Le Le

I remember those days. My friends who had longer hair warned me, too. I miss how easy it was to detangle!

Ashleigh L.A.
Ashleigh L.A.

I think my hair “regimen” is relatively simple.

I do the following once a week:

Shampoo (Tresemme Naturals)
Condish (Tresemme Naturals)
Detangle
Rinse out Condish
Moisturize and style

I tried a new sealing method yesterday and I’m going to incorporate that in to my regimen.

Charlotte
Charlotte

my regimen that ive used pretty much all of this year on my 3b/3c hair: shampoo with bee mine rhassoul shampoo bar no conditioner very small amount of curl junkie beauticurls leave-in one spray of crown pride protein cocktail through the ends of my hair my hair was really over moisturised towards the end of last year, but once i realised that i dont need to listen to everyone screaming about moisture all day every day/moisturising multiple times a day etc, my hair was so much better off. i need more protein than moisture and things like deep conditioning, oiling, even a… Read more »

Charlotte
Charlotte
Reply to  Charlotte

my regimen is done once a week, i forgot to mention that

mangomadness
mangomadness
Reply to  Charlotte

Despite the fact that my hair is more tighlty coiled than yours (judging by your description) we have some hair regimen similarities. I don’t use rinse-out or deep conditioners. Very interesting!

Engee
Engee
Reply to  mangomadness

Lucky ladies! your hair probably already exudes moisture already.

HomeGrownHairGirl

*My Routine*

EVERY 7–10 DAYS:
‑Wash with Aussie Moist Shampoo
‑Deep condition with Aussie Moist 3‑Minute Miracle + Coconut Oil
‑Follow-up with Aussie Moist Conditioner

EVERY 2–4 DAYS:
‑Co-wash or Spritz Hair with Water
‑Apply Moisturizer of Choice
‑Seal with Coconut Oil
‑Style with Gel of Choice

HGHG

Mae
Mae

95% of the commenters simple regimens is what I would consider my complex one. I am having fun trying new products and taking care of my hair, but at my one year naturalversary, I am going the terrenssential shampoo route and seal. But, having fun now. My current regimen: 1x a week: pre-poo with coconut oil, hemp seed oil, and wheat germ oil; shampoo with TJ Nourish Spa; deep condition with Curl Junkie Hibiscus and Banana Fix mixed with honey, safflower oil, and olive oil; shake and style with leave-in conditioner (trying out Shea Moisture DTM, Oyin Honey Hemp, Komaza Care… Read more »

Shekinah
Shekinah
Reply to  Mae

Hey! Did you use the KCCC w/KC Knot today. I know that you’re not guaranteed success with the product unless paired with their leave in. Just a tip!

JB
JB

First of all, this little girl is too stinkin cute!
Im sooo over ridiculous regimens “do this, do that, stand on your head for 10 mins while mixing shea butter and caca…” .
Heres mine:
Wash every 2 weeks ( once a week in the summer)
Deep Condition and finger detangle EVERY time I wash ( Replenishing Pak)
Moisturize, seal, twist or braid and go to bed. LOL
My hair is about bra strap length.

emma
emma
Reply to  JB

lmao @ shea butter and caca! Too funny

PN
PN
Reply to  JB

bwahahahaha!!!! stand on your head for 10 minutes while u mix the shea butter!!!you are sooo funny :)))) but so right about the little girl! isnt she just adorable?

boho.barbie
boho.barbie

awww she has to be the cutest little girlie in the world!

Rachel
Rachel

First of all, the little girl on this post just stole my heart! I saw her picture on my Mac top websites and had to see what the article was about. She is just too cute! As for a simple regimen. I wash my hair with a sulfate free shampoo, condition with Motions conditioner. The most important part for me is keeping my scalp clean and my hair moisturized. While in the shower I run my wet hands through my hair messaging my scalp. It’s great to clean away dirt from the day before, keep my scalp healthy, and stimulate hair… Read more »

PN
PN
Reply to  Rachel

how often do you wash, daily?

Rae
Rae

Every 2 weeks
‑Wash
‑DC
‑Detangle
‑Moisturize & Seal & Style

-Throughout the week i moisturize as needed
‑Henna 1 x month

Le Le
Le Le

I wash weekly. I tried the 3 times per week co-wash thing, but it got old really fast, and I feel like it is not necessary for me. Now, I wash condition weekly, and every night I re-twist in about 10 big braids, which only takes me 10 minutes. I spritz my hair with a glycerin-water-EVOO mix daily.

MissAfrobella

I just don’t have the time for a complicated regimen anymore. I try to keep it very simple.

- I wash biweekly
— Detangle biweekly
— Then put my hair in medium sized twists for 2 wks (I may retwist after a week)
— Mid-week, I’ll rinse with water and seal in moisture with a leave-in, oil, or shea butter, and sometimes a mixture of all
— I deep condition as I feel necessary

[img]http://bglhonline.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/Natural Bee.jpg[/img]

Beneath The Clutter

Simple is my middle name:

Every week (but when I’m real lazy, every other week)

*Take out twists
*Detangle
*Pre-poo
*Wash
*Condition
*twist
*Repeat
*Moisturize every other day.

DeePDX
DeePDX

Since I am trying to retain length my routine is very simple. My only goal in having any regime is to keep my hair moisturized as much as possible with minimal manipulation because my hair does break off pretty easily. 7 — 10 days between shampooing. Maybe co-wash at least once before shampooing. Deep condition and sit under hair steamer for 30 minutes or more. Use the bag method (overnight conditioning with bag/plastic cap). Rinse condition from hair and style it while wet with curly butters/shea butter/gel. My protective styles are either 2 stranded twist (sometimes with kinky twisting hair)… Read more »

Cherron Garrett
Cherron Garrett

Products I use: Aussie Moist Conditioner (walmart) Trader Joe’s Nourish Spa Shampoo and Conditioner Shea Butter (must be yellow) I get mine from Beauty Supply Coconut Oil, I get mine from in the food section. It’s Louana brand and is in a white container. Africa’s Best oil with Ginseng (walmart) Long Aid Activator gel (with green label) Cantu leave in conditioning creme (walmart) African Pride anti breakage creme with olive oil (walmart) OK… I detangle at least once per week in the shower with a wide tooth comb, I finger detangle in the shower about every other day with conditioner. I wash… Read more »

to many heads to comb
to many heads to comb

I have four girls all have ok hair. My youngest one is four her is broke off, dry, like spongy. I changed to many different products when she was younger. I used some child slik and just for me hair products. I havent been able to get her hair right every since.
I’m tryn to get all their hair healthly.Whats some good products to promote hair growth.Good shampoos and conditoners.
PLEASE HELP TO MANY HEADS TO COMB

K
K

Ok, first of all if you have a healthy lifestyle (eat right, exercise) then your hair will grow normally (average hair growth is half an inch per month but it’s normal for hair to grow faster or slower than this). I’d recommend Shea Moisture’s Shea Butter Moisture Retention Shampoo (you can find this at Target and Walgreens; the line also has some good moisturizers and conditioners). An example of a simple regimen would be: -Shampoo hair in loose braids once every 2 weeks ‑Put hair into a protective style (for example cornrows, flattwists, twists, braids, etc.)that can stay in for at least… Read more »

K
K
Reply to  K

Oh, and don’t forget to detangle! You could detangle before shampooing and do a quick detangle before placing their hair in a style, to make sure there are no more knots.

keke
keke

Wash, Detangle and Blow dry once a month
Put in Box Braids and Cowash every two weeks
Super Simple!

msijg
msijg
Reply to  keke

I think one writer was on to something but I think you should do hair for one girl on friday after school or two if you have a girlfriend who can help. then alternate and maybe have the older two help with the youngest two. ie older two can braid 4 year old while you work on the second to youngest and they will learn how to braid and be able to help each other as they grow. do not recommend blow drying. air dry is the way to go. i love coconut oil butter and shea but alow vera… Read more »

simplymoi

My regimen is very simple. I wash 2x/month using bentonite clay, moisturize with water and seal with shea oil and/or castor oil. If I want a really defined look I will use flaxseed gel. Thats it! My favorite style are a twist out and puffs. In the morning I refresh with water and seal with oil.

Sam
Sam

Wow. I feel like I’m in way over my head with all this. Basically I’ve been natural for pretty much my whole life (having a white mother and a clueless black father is how that happened) so pretty much since the beginning of time my hair regimen has been: -Shampoo once a week ‑Condition twice a day (once to detangle and again to moisturize) Recently however I was introduced to a leave in conditioner called “Curls Milkshake” and a leave in serum called “Curl Gel-Les C (Jealousy)” and I just finger comb the two from root to tip, pat my hair down with… Read more »

khamedra19
khamedra19

My hair routine is simple. As a long time natural—17 years and counting—and a business woman, I just cannot be bothered with anything else. I wash with a shampoo of some sort–anti dandruff if my scalp is cutting up or something more crunchy granola if my scalp is behaving. Then I follow that up with a conditioner–usually from Lush, I detangle and slather on a combination of coconut oil and shea butter. I wash my hair every two weeks if my scalp is behaving and once a week if she is not. My daily routine consists of wetting and detangling… Read more »

khamedra19
khamedra19

Oh, and I have 4B hair (with a patch of 4Z in my crown area) that is napdiggy.

Elizabeth
Elizabeth

For my 4c hair I

detangle and wash with the Terresentials Hair Mud wash every 2 weeks,

then put in the kimmaytube leave in,

or seal with any of the butters I have and

then put any oil on top!

The mud wash curbed my product junkisim! 🙂 simplez!

Lakaya

1. Clean with mud wash…or baking soda.
1a. Usually detangling is taken care of with the mud.
2. Comb a moisturizer through…14 n 1usually.
3. Decide how I want to wear it.…if a decision can’t be made…hair band to puff.
When in twists or braids…I usually clean with baking soda and vinegar.
4. Once a month or so…I go thru my hair with cocoa and yogurt to deep condish. The cocoa darkens my gray and the yogurt has protein without the itch. That’s all.
Oh…I do like hair pudding…I add it to certain styles.

Vineve
Vineve

I have 3c/4a hair. I wash my hair weekly and my routine usually goes like this;

-Take out twists
‑Moisurize & seal
‑Wash hair with sulphate free shampoo
‑DC with a mix of: melted shea butter, olive oil, vatika (coconut, henna, castor) oil, honey & a little water. I leave that in for around 2 hours
‑Detangle
‑Wash out
‑Use a light leave in conditioner and spritz with a mix of water, olive oil & aloe vera juice (used everyday as well)
-(sometimes) use ecostyler gel & twist
‑Let air dry

Ce Ce
Ce Ce

My hair type is 4A/4B. I have seborrhea dermatitis, so I have to wash my hair every 7 days.
Weekly routine:
Prepoo w/ Africa’s Best Oil w/ Ginseng mixed with Shea Moisture Anti Breakage Mask
Shampoo w/ Shea Moisture Deep Cleansing Shampoo followed by Shea Moisture Curl & Shine Shampoo
Condition w/Tresemee Moisture Rich Conditioner for Dry & Damaged Hair
Leave in Shea Moisture Curl Milk
2 Strand Twist w/ Shea Moisture Curling Souffle
Daily spritz w/ S Curl Spray Moisturizer
**Twist out hair on Fridays then wash hair on Friday night or Saturday morning.

make your hair grow faster

Wonderful site. Plenty of useful information here. I am sending it to a few friends ans also sharing in delicious. And obviously, thank you on your effort!

honeybrown1976
honeybrown1976

Cowash once a week
Deep condition once a week
Shampoo once a month
Moisturize and Seal daily or every other day

Nina
Nina

I’m new at the natural style and I see that I’m not nearly as dedicated to maintenance as everyone else (although I think my hair looks pretty healthy). I use Beautiful Curls shampoo with Shea Butter about 1/week or more depending on how often I work out. I have a supermix of oils and leave in conditioners in a spray bottle that I add every day (shea, coconut oil, Motions Hair Lotion, Beautiful Curls Detangler mostly make up the mix). When I do use a washout conditioner, I go between Pantene Frizzy to Flat and Joico. My question is, when people… Read more »

Ria
Ria

Every 2 weeks:
Wash — Anita Grant kelp & ylang ylang babassu shampoo bar
Condition ‑Coltsfoot Herbal rinse
Moisturise — Anita Grant vanilla cafe latte
Seal ends with coconut oil

K.
K.

I wash (most recently with one of the Chagrin Valley shampoo bars), pat it dry, and go. A few times I’ve picked it out just to see the length (and most recently to see if the shampoo bar made any difference in softness… I think it did a little…) Sometimes I run some coconut oil thru with my fingers while my hair is still damp, for moisture, but usually not. (I HATE oily hair.) My hair is still a TWA from May’s BC (of long locs) and I’m gonna keep it this way for a while. If I’m not wearing my hair faded… Read more »

K.
K.
Reply to  K.

ETA: using the Wild Sunshine Bliss typing system, my hair is mostly C2 and 3 with patches of A3 around my hairline…

Ebncurly
Ebncurly

My entire natural hair life — I have been a “simple regime” type of girl. Summer: Co wash once a week / shampoo wash once a month / deep conditioner every 6 weeks / oil rinse when I feel like it. Style — no heat, curly puffs n’ stuff with the IC gel. (see below). Winter: Shampoo 2x a month (more if needed). Oil rinse (extra protection for cold weather), dry over night. Style — no heat, curly fros, puffs n’stuff. I henna to color every 2 months or whenever I get around to it. I buy good products but on sale. I… Read more »

Ebncurly
Ebncurly
Reply to  Ebncurly

Oops — I also trim 1 or 2xs a year.
[img]http://bglhonline.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/Photo81.jpg[/img]

Teeteenatural
Teeteenatural

Super Simple

Wash every 2weeks with a half cup of baking soda and VO5 conditioner
Deep conditioner (Karen body beautiful hair mask or Carol’s daughter Vanilla something)
Moisturize with Jane carters leave in
oil with Nourish and shine by Jane Carter.

When I am lazy, puffs all week, when i have more time twists or braids ala my cousin. 🙂
[img]http://bglhonline.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/Photo941.jpg[/img]

Rae
Rae

-wash, deep condition & detangle every 2 weeks
‑moisturize & seal throughout the week as needed
‑henna 1 x month
‑trim every few months as needed
‑low manipulation & protective styles

Safflower Oil

It is in point of fact a great and helpful piece of information. I?m happy that you shared this useful info with us. Please stay us up to date like this. Thanks for sharing.

Pambengagma
Pambengagma

Prova non tortura.

carpinteyrocel

Nedenfor er nogle af dem udstyr: mbt sko udsalg
Hovedsageligt fordi det forrige , enkeltes spekulation i en meget specialet Artikel fornødenheder noget tilbage gerne udkig efter Data på grund af velfungerende foruden relevant løsninger. Det knyttet løsninger velkommen til at bruge der vil tone a forslag kan være:

news article

Hi, Neat post. There is a problem along with your web site in web explorer, might test this? IE nonetheless is the marketplace chief and a large portion of other people will miss your fantastic writing due to this problem.

Danielle

Well If you live in the Dayton Area Check https://daytondonations.com

Naj
Naj

Week one: Apply coconut oil to hair and finger detangle;shampoo scalp in 4 plaits; use a regular condition as a leave in an twist hair and seal with EVOO or coconut oil; wear hair up and out of the way. If I’m in the mood I will remove the twists for a twist out. Week two: Coconut oil and finger detangle; apply deep condition and wrap up hair in a plastic cap and scarf and let it sit for at least 20 minutes; rinse out deep conditioner and co-wash with a light conditioner like Suave Naturals; use the same conditioner as… Read more »