How does your hair handle apple cider vinegar?

Avatar • Jul 25, 2011

Robyn says;

I know several naturalistas swear by ACV, but it has wreaked havoc on my hair! It leaves my hair feeling so dry that I have to condition multiple times to get it feeling supple and soft again. (Oddly enough, it does an excellent job of defining my curl pattern, lol, but I just don’t think it’s worth it.) I did a Wikipedia search and found that the ACV is very highly acidic and, apparently, my hair just can’t take it! I was just wondering if there was anyone else out there who can relate!

Alright ladies, share your experiences! Can your hair handle apple cider vinegar? Do you swear by it? Or do your tresses hate it?

freeyourheart

my scalp loves it. i use it without diluting it and my dry scalp feels so soothed. (my scalp has always been different than anyone else i’ve known. i literally would scratch my entire head before a relaxer and would never burn.) i always follow an acv rinse with a deep conditioning, so i’ve never had an issue with dry, brittle hair. but for me, it didn’t define my curls either.

MzNappyTrini

u need to dilute it. straight from the bottle it is at pH2, that’s horrible for ur hair. I dilute it by adding 2 caps full to 2 cups of water which is about pH 4.5 and it is great on my hair. I use it as a final rinse

Angie
Angie
Reply to  MzNappyTrini

I was going to say the same thing, MzNappyTrini; dilute it. Never use it full strength. I also add a few drops of rosemary and use it as a tonic for my scalp when it feels itchy. Works great!

Le Le
Le Le

I have used it, and while it does a great job of stripping the build-up from my hair, it dries it out, and I really feel that I can do without. There are other natural things out there that work better for my hair.

lovelee
lovelee

I like it but i only use it when i have really bad product build up I really don’t see a curl pattern difference but for build up it works for me.

Ms. Pillowz
Ms. Pillowz

I use it to detangle my hair and it works great. Plus it helps with product build up.

on the fence
on the fence

I am confused by acv. some say they use it as a cleanser to remove buildup and those with porous hair say they use it to close their cuticles during a final rinse. well, if it strips the hair, how can it close the cuticles w/out stripping and drying out your hair? Please help me to understand b/c I have extremely porous hair that is hard to keep moisturized!!

mangomadness
mangomadness

I love ACV for my scalp. My hair dosen’t mind it eiter. I dilute it with water (1 part ACV: 3 parts water) and mix in some honey. It works well for me.

Monisola
Monisola
Reply to  mangomadness

Ditto one part ACV three parts water, three table spoons of olive oil and I’m good to go!

Dicarol
Dicarol

I love this as an final rinse. I use about 1/4 cup in a liter of water. The first time I use the whole bottle. I noticed the effect wore off with time, so I did it again. This time I pourrd some in an old conditioner bottle with a squeeze top, only used about half of that. When I feel it getting a little rough (I also have a water softener, I believe the salt causes this) I spritz some on after I wet it in the morning. I’ve noticed that it is much softer, coils better and isn’t… Read more »

Najmah
Najmah

I ? ACV. It has to be diluted of course, I don’t think I’d reccomend it as a product at full strength, I dilute mine to 1 part ACV and 2 parts warm clear water when my hair is really grungy and dirty. 1 part ACV to 4 parts water when I don’t have lots of buildup. I don’t find it drying at all, which is why I love it– it cleans my hair beautifully without drying or stripped.

vonnie

i use 1/2 cup water, 1/2 cup acv and do a rinse after shampooing my hair then deep condition.…my scalp likes it a lot and hair is fine with it

Vonnie

lanni
lanni

How do you get past the smell? I really like the effect on my hair but whenever my hair is re-wet (morning spritz, rain, sweat) the smell returns

julia

I use it in a squeeze bottle (diluted) as my final rinse but I focus on my scalp. It’s helped hugely with dandruff. I also keep some in a small spray bottle (like TSA regulation size), also diluted with a touch of tea tree and a squirt of grapeseed oil. The spray is perfect for my scalp when I have a style with significant parts (and therefore exposed scalp).

Brandy Baul
Brandy Baul

Oddly enough, I did my first ACV rinse today. I diluted it using 1 cup of water to 2 tabelspoons of ACV. There was a lingering smell so I added some lavendar oil to my sealant. I’ve been natural for a month so I’m still learning what works and what doesn’t. I did notice a slight difference in my curl pattern.

aiych
aiych

I only use it about 1x month after accumulating buildup. And I dilute it with water or mix it with bentonite clay.

And yes, it is great for defining curl pattern especially when mixed with bentonite, but I’m really not sure why. The mixture is also good for keeping skin clear, sucks the excess oil right out.

T. Terry
T. Terry
Reply to  aiych

I’ve notice that my curl pattern isn’t as defined as it once was…could I use this product to help get my curl pattern back?? #Imissmycurls

Leo the Yardie Chick
Leo the Yardie Chick

I use it, but well-diluted. Straight from the bottle is too much — unless I have a really nasty case of build-up.

Yvette
Yvette

I am one person that just can not use ACV. I always dilute ACV and still the result is extremely dry, tangled hair. I tried acv for the LAST time 2 weeks ago and my hair is still trying to recover. It is just not for my hair. I love it for other uses, but I will not use it for my hair.

SankofaScholar
SankofaScholar

When my scalp is itchy, ACV is the solution. Just dilute it with water first to balance the PH level. Good luck.

bee
bee

@on the fence anything with a pH less than the natural pH of hair, will work to close the hair cuticle. likewise anything highly basic (pH) will open the cuticle, think lye in relaxer. And anything highly acidic will leave the feeling of dry/stripped hair so its a balance. You must mix acv with water to adjust the pH — basically to make it less acidic. So if you can make an acv-water ratio that results in a mixture pH that is only slightly less than the pH of your hair but much less acidic than pure acv, then it should… Read more »

on the fence
on the fence
Reply to  bee

Helps TREMENDOUSLY!! Thanks bee!!

Alta Angel

I tried ACV once and my hair was the driest and frizziest it had ever been. I only used one capful in 2 liters of water and my hair smelled and was incredibly tangled. Never again for me…

Yvette
Yvette
Reply to  Alta Angel

Thank you! I was beginning to think that there was something wrong with me!! LOL!! I guess the moral of the story for me is to do what works for my hair.

Maureen
Maureen

When I embarked on my natural product journey, I seriously frowned upon putting a product in my hair that I had previously used for cleaning. It took me some time before I actually rinsed my hair with it. Now, having used it for years and noticing a big difference in how soft and moisturized my hair is, I know I made the right choice. I mix the ACV with water, honey and sometimes vegetable glycerin and after that I follow up with a green tea rinse. If you use it like this, you might finally notice a big difference 🙂 I… Read more »

mangomadness
mangomadness
Reply to  Maureen

I love mixing ACV with honey. Sometimes I mix in some (green or black) tea. Tea rinses are nice on there own as well.

Krystal

I mix ACV with my bentonite clay for a hair mask, so it works fine for me. I condition my hair really well afterwards, and I have no problems.

Starla
Starla

I think I did this once and it’s a great clarifyer to remove product buildup. It’s not something I would do regularly, other than to clarify my hair. I do put a tablespoon in a glass of water and drink daily, and it’s great for the complexion and brighten the whites of the eyes.

qtrlifechronicles

I’ve only used ACV in my Bentonite Clay. It works really well for clarification and curl definition. I personally don’t like the smell so that is the form I’ve used it. With deep conditioning, my hair felt wonderful with lots of shine. I do Bentonite w/ACV once a month.

Jess

LOVE IT! Especially for an itchy scalp!

Glenyse
Glenyse

French Perm Stabilizer Plus is what I have always used to soften, strengthen and restore the natural ph balance in my hair. The French Perm Brand is a really old one, it was my perm of choice until my late twenties, my grandmother was my beautician and always used it as a stabilizer after any chemical treatment. I have continued to use it as a natural 43 year old, maybe once a month or whenever my hair feels like it going through a weak period. It’s sold at Sally’s Beauty Supply and works in a similar fashion ACV does…but without… Read more »

Dee (Durelene) loving ACV

this is a MUST for me on wash days its the last part of my rinse. I love the benefits and how my hair and scalp feels afterward. Definitely a STAPLE

Hyspin
Hyspin

I love ACV rinse to help control dandruff, reduce itch(if it is a problem and remembered not to scratch), smooth down the cuticle of the hair.Making my hair smooth, shinier and easy to detangle/style as a result. The smell is not an issue because I follow it with cold water right after.

coletha
coletha

I love it. I use it in the place of shampoo and conditioner. I wear locks and I had an issue with product build-up. Apple cider vinegar not only removes build-up it promotes hair growth, which for me was an unexpected benefit. I struggle with alopecia, which is caused by the hormone DHT. DHT leaves a waxy build-up on the scalp and in the follicles shrinking the pores and stunting growth. Apple cider vinegar removes that build-up from the scalp and follicles without damaging them. It also kills fungus and bacteria. I use essential oils, mainly coconut and vanilla, which… Read more »

Chala
Chala
Reply to  coletha

It works for the Seborrheic Dermatitis which is a scalp condition that starts out as dandruff, is itchy, turns into dry scales, and my scalp with bleed if I do not use the ACV or my medical shampoo, Ketaconzonale to kill control the fungus on and in my scalp. I would only use it in a mask about once a month, a rinse once a week, and a to clean my scalp at least twice a month.

Khala
Khala

you have to dilute it

Clement Chio
Clement Chio

There are more than 7,500 known cultivars of apples, resulting in a range of desired characteristics. Different cultivars are bred for various tastes and uses, including cooking, fresh eating and cider production. Domestic apples are generally propagated by grafting, although wild apples grow readily from seed. Trees are prone to a number of fungal, bacterial and pest problems, which can be controlled by a number of organic and non-organic means.:;:-

View the best and newest content at our new blog
<http://www.wellnessdigest.co

Maiah
Maiah

I think this more so depends on your hairs porosity. Low porosity hair can handle products with high pH levels because the cuticle is so tightly sealed. You probably have medium to high porosity.

Jackie
Jackie

I can totally relate to your post! My hair has amazing curl definition after the rinse however my scalp felt very dry no matter how many times I moisture it! So I am thinking this could be because the ACV to water ratio was too much ie I used too much ACV so I will try dilute it more..I watched afew videos on youtube and people use different mixes. I will try a tablesponn ACV with a cup of water and see how that feels..I can’t let go of the curl definition just yet..