French braid extensions: Hot or Hmm??

Avatar • Jun 10, 2011

Source: Ekineyo

Reader Jessica says;

My hair is too fine/fragile for individual braid extensions, so I’ve been thinking of rocking two french braids, using both my hair and extensions. I’m wondering what your readers thoughts are on this trend? And if anyone has tried it, and what their results were!

What are your thoughts ladies? Have you tried french braid extensions? Are you feeling them?

digitalribbon

The second picture looks nice, i wonder what it looks like from the sides

I am wondering Jessica if your hair is too fragile for Braid extensions, why would two french braids with extensions be any different? I’m not trying to be rude i’m just curious

Jessica
Jessica
Reply to  digitalribbon

Probably because you wouldn’t be putting as much tension on small sections of hair.

u kno
u kno

i never had them but i love them wen i get me some moneys im def gonnah get some done.lol

Lola
Lola

Like no.2, no.1 is a bit long but I have too little hair and too much shrinkage for allodat plus my styling skills rest on zero. Twists it is.

kd
kd

I have never done this style because I’m always worried about how well I can sleep with it. I’ve never been one to give up my rest for a hairstyle. These two seem easy enough to pull off without the commitment to months of wear.

BigSyd
BigSyd

I love it!! But I’m baised.…cuz I’m all for extensions as long as they look somewhat realistic!!! Both styles are cute in my opinion

BigSyd
BigSyd

Both styles are very cute~!~~ I’m all for extensions if they look somewhat realistic

AishaSaidIt

Hot! Me Likey.

luvmylocs
luvmylocs

i like them. i think it’s a good “stretched” hair style. when i went to a popular natural hair salon recently for a consultation she recommended this style while i work on getting my hair back in good shape. i’d been sort of anti-extensions but i think with this style they’re added in a non-harmful way (i.e. no sewing that has to be removed). the only think i’m not sure about is how long it lasts or what happens when you sweat, does it revert/shrink? anyway, cute style and i like it most when it’s loosey vs. tighty.

June
June

I love the second one. How would this be done? I am going to figure out how to do it for a wedding this month.

emma
emma

All the ones i’ve seen were way too obvious. Mainly because of the thickness of the head hair versus the addd hair. But I think the style is cute. Just the execution has to be well done. 🙂

Shay
Shay

I like the style..I an very anti- weave. But its really cute to me. As some people have said already as long as its done correctly and looks “real” then cool..

TheRYL1
TheRYL1

I think the both styles are hot! And they are old as Methusela (sp?)! LOL I watched a braider buddy of mine hook her hair up (like pic #1) in less than 10 minutes. That has always been a “go to” style because you can dress it up or down, and it’s cheap and quick.

Personally, I’m waiting for the opportunity to style MY OWN hair in this way. I have a few years to go, though…but that’s the goal! 😉

Shelli

I printed a pic of that second style a month or two ago as I was planning on trying it! I never did, but I have used synthetic braiding hair to do large protective buns. Here are a couple of pics of ones I’ve done in the last year. As to the first commenter, my hair is fine too and the weight of hanging individual braids can put too much stress on the roots of fine hair can pull the hair out of the scalp. However, large cornrowed/french braids styles take large sections of hair and keep it against the… Read more »

Annaleisha
Reply to  Shelli

Beautifully done.

Keisha
Keisha
Reply to  Shelli

Beautiful!!

Tabora
Tabora
Reply to  Keisha

Are you a stylist? This is gorgeous. I am in search of a great stylist who knows how to care for natural hair AND do some hot cornrows and other styles. I live in NY so if anyone has suggestions bring it on. I know of some, but they cost so much…i.e. Khamit Kinks

Nichole
Nichole
Reply to  Tabora

+1 on the NY thing

Shelli
Reply to  Nichole

Thank you all so much! No, I’m not a stylist. I just like to experiment with styles a lot. I have a picture tutorial of the Chinese bun on my Grow Out Challenge blog on NaturallyCurly.com, if anyone is interested:

I also just created my own wordpress blog this weekend, where I hope to include more tutorials as I like to experiment with styles and I’ve been trying to stay in protective ones as part of the grow out challenge.

Thanks!

NtrlGAGirl
NtrlGAGirl
Reply to  Shelli

Tis GAWJUS!!! I’m not sure if I’m talented enough to try this at home, but I’m certainly going to check your tutorial. I love it.

Lorraine
Lorraine
Reply to  Shelli

How do you get your hair so shiny and gorgeous like that?! My God!!! Lol

Shelli Gillis
Reply to  Lorraine

Awww, thanks ladies!! Lorraine, my hair has always had a pretty decent sheen. However, I think doing regular henna treatments and rinsing conditioner out of my hair with cold/cool water enhance the shine. Thank you again!

Monisola
Monisola

Hey Shelli! I too am a fine haired sister. And I have been on a crusade to figure out how to retain more length. Extensions are defs the way to go for me! I can not be in my hair every week and expect to retain a bit of length. I would also suggest that you try yarn braids/yarn twists that are shoulder length. They yarn is super super super light and VERY forgiving for moisture retention. I have just taken down my first set of yarn braids and let me tell you they were amazing for my hair. so… Read more »

Abi
Abi
Reply to  Monisola

Hey Monisola, I am doing a 1 year protective style challenge (trying to leave my hair alone until my wedding in April :-)), and I was thinking of getting yarn braids. I saw the Black Onyx youtube videos on it and they looked great and would help me see if I wanted to loc my hair after the big day. Since you just took yours down, did you find them to be hot during the warm months? I am trying to decide is that shoule be a summer style or a really great protective style in the wineter, especilaly if… Read more »

Shelli
Reply to  Abi

Hi Monisola, Thanks for the suggestion! I actually watched the Black Onyx video a while ago and also read TiaShauntee’s (Her Best Hair) blog regarding her experience with them. I don’t have too much problem with length retention (I was a little past BSL stretched last year before cutting in February to get rid of a layer), so probably will pass on them. But, I agree, leaving one’s hair alone is extremely important! I’ve been in protective styles for 6 out of 7 days each week since February and plan on continuing that through the end of the year. My… Read more »

Tiffanie
Tiffanie
Reply to  Shelli

Dang Shelli!! I wish my fine hair looked like this!! You must have high density? Beautiful!!

Shelli Gillis
Reply to  Tiffanie

Thank you! It’s not that high density, but it’s fluffy I guess! LOL!

mangomadness
mangomadness

I’m not a huge fan of fake hair. With that said, I LOVE the look of braids. The hair in picture #1 is not my cup of tea. The hair in picture #2 is super cute. I’d love to do a similar style (with my own hair). The bang part reminds me of this hair style I saw on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXzxLsmVlAA

izdabes
izdabes
Reply to  mangomadness

After wearing fake hair for some many years I have been traumatized by it all — but these styles are chic, high end and fab…I would definitely rock this look if I had more than 2 inches of hair.

ruthi0rudi0
ruthi0rudi0

they look beautiful, but i think it’s the kind of style that only looks good for the 2 weeks or so.

i’d have to have honestly =/

Daphne Jackson
Daphne Jackson

Lately, I have been rocking the bob marley braiding hair as large buns. This hair matches my hair nicely. I find it a fun accessory to switch up your look.

trinigul
trinigul
Reply to  Daphne Jackson

+1 — That’s my quick WnG style

yoli

very cute. i saw something similiar in real life a few years ago and liked it.

Keisha
Keisha

I like the photos. I think I may add this to my style wish list. If I were to do it, it would have to be “add-in” braided so that you don’t get that knot at the beginning of the braid…

Durelene aka Dee
Durelene aka Dee

It’s amazing how much styles keep changing I cannot say I seen french braids like this 2 years ago. I think its beautiful. I am inspired to try these styles myself.

I remember the model on the second pix on another post BGLH made but she wore an updo, both styles were to die for, where can i get more info about this model?

Shannon
Shannon

i’d do them

Mali
Mali

Blah. Leave them to rapunzel.

MissyD
MissyD

I’ve never tried them before but I think it looks lovely. Very beautiful and can be easily dressed up or down.

Renise B

Like everyone else, I prefer the 2nd picture more. I love the bun with the marley braid hair. I’ve worn it a few times. I get bored with styles pretty quickly though so I took the hair and updo. A large flat twist in the front with some of it and twisted the rest of it and pinned up in the back.
[img]http://bglhonline.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/250155_1819402682801_1172188591_31662063_2875025_n.jpg[/img]
[img]http://bglhonline.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/248926_1819402442795_1172188591_31662061_3631990_n.jpg[/img]
[img]http://bglhonline.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/248536_1819402762803_1172188591_31662064_1625045_n (1).jpg[/img]

Anon
Anon
Reply to  Renise B

Interesting.

Tiffanie
Tiffanie
Reply to  Renise B

Yes, very interesting!

Brittany
Brittany
Reply to  Tiffanie

I think this would look better if it was all a dark brown color. So are you adding the marley braid weaving hair to your own hair to make that crimped bun look? I was a little confused about how you achieved that look.

Renise B
Reply to  Brittany

I liked the darker shade as well but my hair is both colors. My hair is almost completely hidden. The back was tricky. I took the weave and made it into a drawstring ponytail. I sectioned a small area in my crown, made a mini bun, and attached the weave ponytail. I took a few strands of the weave and covered the top of the ponytail and pinned it down. Those stands blended in with the weave ponytail. The rest of my hair was pulled into a low bun which is covered by the weave. I loosely twisted and braided… Read more »

Victoria
Victoria

I think that no matter what weave only looks good when it looks pretty real. Like the first picture I don’t like because it looks fake but since the second one blends better and it looks nicer.

ScrewyHair

The first one’s “hmm”, but the second one’s definitely hot. I too wanna know how to do that…for when my hair grows out 🙂

Aisha
Aisha

I think it’s cute but I wouldn’t do it because I know the style wouldn’t last long enough in my hair.

NtrlGAGirl
NtrlGAGirl

Contrary to most of the other opinions expressed, I actually like the first one better. I see more versatility with that style (wearing the tail hanging, rolled up in various bun/pony styles, or just hanging as pictured) and I wouldn’t be able to deal with that front piece on my forehead.

Viv
Viv
Reply to  NtrlGAGirl

I agree 100%!

Patricia Kayden
Patricia Kayden

French braids are lovely. Very hot!

wambui Wamutogoria

love it!!!! we need a GOOD tutorial asap

Lorraine
Lorraine

I like both of them, although the first one is a little much…looking like a rat tail. But whatever. Lol

Question!! Would both of their weaves/extensions be sew in or could it be braided into the hair?

Lysheba
Lysheba

Woahmygosh *drooling* I want both of these styles in my hair. right. now. The first one would look less severe if it were two french braids instead of one.Let me know if you gus know of a natural hair salon/braid shop in the DC, Silver Spring, or Baltimore area. Or even Northern Virginia. Hmmm, could’ve just said DMV lol

Brii
Brii
Reply to  Lysheba

There are actually a few prominent salons in the area, just Google natural hair and whatever area ur interested in being in. Unfortunately I haven’t been to any of them, cuz I either do my own hair or let the Africans braid it.

3 D.O.L.L.S.

I would love to try french braid extensions. I really liked the second picture. Cute!