13-year-old loc’ed prodigy headed to college this Fall

Avatar • Jun 30, 2011

13-year-old Autum Ashante is headed to the University of Conneticut this Fall. According to a story in the NY Daily News her father, Brian Ashante, chose to home-school his daughter when he realized that she was way ahead of her peers academically. He says;

What she’s doing is groundbreaking but this is not about vanity,” he said. “It’s about setting the tone for other black and Latino children who will come behind her. They’re always being told they are underachievers. We want to show this can be done.”

Click here for the full story. What are your thoughts ladies?

Chizzy D

who knows, maybe by the time she is 17 she could be in medical school or something like that. Great parenting!!

nylse

I applaud her and her father.

Elora
Reply to  nylse

I think it is great that she is getting the recognition she deserves!

emma
emma

First, her hair is fabulous! you go girl!

I only wonder about her coping with college life. The parents made the decision so she must be capable.

I guess the inner mother in me is coming out. lol

Eboni
Eboni
Reply to  emma

That’s what I was thinking, lol a 13-year-old around 20+ year-old adults? hmmm…but hopefully everything will work out. she seems/looks mature enough to handle everything I guess 🙂

I hope she doesn’t/hasn’t missed out on being a child too.

Imoni
Imoni
Reply to  Eboni

I knew a girl who was home schooled and started college by 16. I think it depends on the parents up-bringing with her and how do deal with the many different pressures of college. I think she will be fine.
I’m thankful for the way my parents raised me and the security i had in my morals and values because once I got to college I did not fall under peer pressure and most of my friends respected the decisions I’ve made. The ones who didn’t, those aren’t my friends.

Leslie@ The tale of going natural
Reply to  emma

A lot of times, when you read about child prodigies going to college at a young age, the parents will keep them doing things with kids their own age as well, so they aren’t socially stunted.

Shones

I think that’s wonderful news. I have a friend who’s son is on track to be in college by the time he’s 16. I think this kind of thing happens more often than we realize.

MzNappyTrini

Great job and yay for single fathers getting the job done! Good luck in college!

Patricia Kayden
Patricia Kayden

Need to forward this story to my Brooklyn friend who is also planning to homeschool her teenaged son this August. Public/charter schools just weren’t working for him.

Sieta

I applaud her and i love her locs.

Chantel
Chantel

I applaud her father for what he’s done with her academically, but the truth of the matter is she is going to be far behind her peers while she’s in college. I mean you can barely do adult things when youre 18 and majority of her freshman year peers will be that age. I feel like academics is only part of development and the other part is learning how to interact with others on a social level. Still I wish her all the best she is most certainly and inspiration 🙂

zyaran
zyaran

Smart young girl, congrats to her and the father plus teachers that have helped her along the way. They should have mentioned who does her hair as well, because they hooked her hair up nice 🙂 lol.…

mangomadness
mangomadness

Stories like this warm my heart. Congrat to Autum and her family! I wish them the best in all their endeavors.

Justice
Justice

I believe that this is more common than we think- I started college at 16. I think that stories like this need to be promoted on a regular basis so the Black and Latino community can learn from these successes and look to them as an example. I am extremely happy for her and I wish her the best in her pursuits!

Jaslene
Jaslene

That is the oldest 13 year old I have ever seen she looks like she is at least 20+. Maybe its the black and white photo nonetheless congrats to her.

Patrice
Patrice

I got to UCONN and I heard about her.. I think its great that she is so educated but I think she will miss out on a lot of things. She won’t ever get that college experience and I don’t think its worth it to start so early. She’ll be an adult to early, but thats just what I feel. Two Years ago we had a 12 year old come in too. I met him and he was very socially awkward. I think it might have been the smarts, he just could not hold a conversation, and his mom went… Read more »

Patrice
Patrice
Reply to  Patrice

actuallly just found this out! she will not be attending UCONN in the fall

PetinaHopePhotography

Congratulations to this family! I love to hear positive news.

Imoni
Imoni

Go ‘head girl! Hit it out the PARK! LOL

Anytime I met someone who was home-schooled, they are always more (for lack of a better word) “smater” than me. And I have met home-schooled kids of many ethnicities including blacks.

People say that home-schooling’s downside is that there is no social interaction and development because they are not in a “school” setting. That is not true. You can always develop that kid’s social skills by involving them in volunteer work, camp, playing at public parks/events, church youth groups ect.

Chic Noir

This makes me so proud. Praise the lord. May you be an example to others just as Obama has been. And you see that… She has her father at in her life. Very important, Our children deserve fathers too.

Natasha
Natasha

I don’t know if BGLH has updated this story but the University has now rescinded their offer claiming she is not academically ready — http://newsone.com/nation/ggaynor/uconn-revokes-acceptance-of-13-year-old-girl/.

This is a petition going around for people to sign and hopefully get her place back http://josephine.epetitions.net/

BGLH please share this info. Thanks!