Taneica // Natural Hair Style Icon

Avatar • May 23, 2011

Where do you live?
T:
I live in Lakeland, Florida. I rep for all the natural girls out there with insatiable appetites for awesome shoes and fashion. I am an entrepreneur and freelance writer. 🙂

Why did you go natural?
T:
To be honest. I didn’t make the decision for myself. My mom made it for me when I was very young. I have never had a perm! Growing up, my sister and I begged my mother for the creamy crack so that we could have hair that blew in the wind. I remember my mother telling my sister and I how beautiful our hair was and if we wanted to destroy it by putting chemicals in it, we’d have to wait until we were adults. By the time I was able to perm my hair, I had already discovered different ways to style and care for it. My hair also became (and still is) a huge part of my image. I’m known by most who meet me as the girl with the big hair, big personality and bad ass shoes. Why would I want to give up that kind of persona? 😉

In what ways (if any) has going natural affected you?
T:
I am very confident and unapologetic of who I am as a person. I feel that my hair has helped me become this strong, fabulous, proud person over the years. I really have to say that my mother was a huge motivating force for me growing up. When I came home crying about someone saying my hair looked like scouring pads, my mother would tell me at least I had hair to scour pots with. When she had to pick me up from school when they threatened to put Nair in my hair, she’d remind me that they were likely jealous of my long, healthy, REAL hair. It’s very difficult to think you’re anything less than fierce with a mom like mine. Having natural hair makes me unique, it always has. I feel like I can walk into any room or situation and “wow” whomever with my big personality and I have big hair to match! Natural hair has also made me more patient with myself and others.

How would you describe your hair?
T:
I have arm pit length 4a, b, and c combination hair. My hair is very coarse, thick, and kinky, but very strong. I have very thirsty hair. I think that’s known in the natural community as porous. As much as I dig my hair, I can’t seem to keep it moisturized when I sport it “out”. I have to keep it twisted, braided or pulled up, to retain moisture and length. Otherwise, my hair will shrink and break 🙁

What’s your regimen?
T:
Less is more with my hair. I have a very simple and low maintenance regimen. Every month, I do the following: Henna/Indigo treatment followed by a co wash and deep treatment. I twist or braid my hair up and then rock a twist out for week two. I moisturize by spritzing my hair daily with Oyin Juices and Berries and sealing my ends with olive oil. I also grease my scalp with DooGro. I know it’s petroleum, but my hair LOVES IT. By the third week of the month, I visit my hairdresser to get my hair washed and deep treated before twisting it back up. When I wash my hair at home, I use Dr. Bronner’s peppermint castile soap. I also use Hello Hydration or Long Term Relationship by Herbal Essences for co washes at home. They both have wonderful slip and smell sexy.

What mistakes have you made with your hair that you’ve learned from?
T:
About three years ago, I was going through something and decided I wanted to have hair like Rihanna’s *straight face*. I cut my bra strap length hair within two inches of it’s life. What I didn’t take into consideration is that unless I straightened it, I could not style it. I also didn’t take into consideration that I was going to look like every other idiot out there who was trying to look like a celebrity with a team of people to make her look the way she did. As you can imagine, I cried when I washed my hair and realized that I did not have the tools or expertise to style my hair. I immediately regretted cutting my hair and walked around looking pissed in a hat for MONTHS, lol. I learned that my hair makes me unique and that I seriously don’t need to be anybody other than my own wonderful self. It’s insulting to my creator to be anything less that the fantastic human being he created me to be.

What’s the best/most effective thing you do for your hair?
T:
The most effective thing that I do for my hair is leave it alone. I don’t fuss over it, I seldom try new stuff and I don’t comb or brush my hair constantly. My hair has commitment-phobia and acts up when I pay it too much attention to it.

Is there a blog/webpage where we can find you?
T:
Remember when I mentioned above that I’m an entrepreneur? Well, my beautiful sister and I are the proud owners of a natural hair, fashion and entertainment resource site called Shatterproof Glass Dolls. We’re very proud of our website and would love for you to come visit!

Anything else you want to add?
T:
Don’t allow anyone to define your beauty. Every inch and detail of who you are, every strand on your head, was created with love and careful consideration. You’re fearfully and wonderfully made. Be proud of who you are and the way you look. Carry yourself with pride and the knowledge that nobody can take your swagger unless you allow them to. Stay gorgeous!!!

Candi

The first head shot is a GORGEOUS up-do style.…LOVE IT!!
And I so dig the last picture…it’s been one of my personal favorite go to styles and hers’ look great!

Taneica
Reply to  Candi

Thanks so much!

luvmylocs
luvmylocs

great interview. your confidence oozes through and it’s wonderful!! peace and blessings on your endeavors!

Taneica
Reply to  luvmylocs

Thank you and same to you!

jeny
jeny

Love the pics and love your confidence- to be shared as a motivational force upon others.

Taneica
Reply to  jeny

Thanks Jeny, that’s the plan!

freeyourheart

i love their blog. been following them for a while. definitely didn’t know you were as funny as you are. your hair being commitment-phobic made me LOL.

Taneica
Reply to  freeyourheart

Janelle! Hey girl! lol! Fancy seeing you over here!

a black girl

Hi, Loved your interview. Honestly, I think a lot of us would’ve loved to have your mother’s determination growing up. I personally didn’t get relaxed until I was 12, but even then, I wish my mother would have pushed me harder not to relax. Anyway, about your regimen: I recently saw a video on youtube about ph and hair, etc. Pretty popular hair vlogger, Kimmay, found that Dr. Bronner’s isn’t well suited for hair. I don’t know, watch for yourself http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBP7CzoiLbQ While you’re at it, you can watch to full series to determine how she comes to her conclusions. Have a… Read more »

Taneica
Reply to  a black girl

Yup, I love my mom :-). I’ve heard some stuff about castille soap (good and bad)and would love to hear what Kimmay has to say about it all. I’m gonna have to check out her video! Thanks again!

RighteousTeacher
RighteousTeacher

Hi Taneica,

Your hair is gorgeous.
You look beautiful, and you exude beauty too.
I have a question for you:
Could you please explain your Henna/Indigo treatment?
I’m prematurely greying and don’t want to use harsh chemical dyes on my hair lest they ruin my curl pattern.
And where do you get the Henna/Indigo?
Please and Thank you!

Taneica

Hi RighteousTeacher! Thanks for the kind words!I purchase my henna and indigo through mehandi.com, though Leila here at BGLH now sells henna too! I mix my batch of henna with green tea and leave it overnight so that the dye can be released and will stain my hair quicker. I leave it in for about 4–5 hours (sleeping in it will make it seem less tedious) and rinse. I mix the indigo upon waking up, because it only needs to sit for an hour to release the dye. Once that’s done, I apply the indigo for 1–2 hours. It seems… Read more »

Anti-Video Girl
Reply to  Taneica

Taneica,

I loved the results of your mom’s henna/indigo color!! You did a fabulous job!

Taneica

Thanks AVG! She buys it in bucketloads since discovering it.Her hair has also gotten thicker since she started using it! P.S. I love your site 🙂

RighteousTeacher
RighteousTeacher
Reply to  Taneica

Very helpful and informative, Taneica!

Many, many thanks!

E
E

You look so gorgeous especially in that 1st picture, that is definitely model material for sure. Your hair is so thick and long and love the shine that you having going on in the pictures.

Taneica
Reply to  E

Thanks E! Sites like this one help keep me up on my hair A game 🙂

LT
LT

Lakeland, Florida? Girl, we might be kin! My family lives there.
Anyway, your response to “What mistakes have you made with your hair that you’ve learned from?” had me cracking up. I’m glad you’ve learned you lesson though. haha You hair looks great & you are a very beautiful young women. Thanks for sharing your story. : )

Daniel Gatlin

Hello all, i premoes i back, good article

Felicia
Felicia

Wow! You are beautiful outside and in! My little girl comes home from school often complaining about negative comments about her hair. You have inspired me even more to be more like your mother and boost my little girl’s confidence! We are wonderfully made. So true!