Should black women take an isolationist approach to beauty culture & standards?

Avatar • May 16, 2011

Portrait of a Black Woman by Buck : Holzemer

*So, a few of you contacted BGLH this morning about the Psychology Today article which states that black women are physically unattractive. I liked reader Deanna’s take on things, so I’ve posted her response. Apparently Psychology Today has taken the article down but, if you care to read (and you might not, trust me), you can find it here.*

Yesterday Psychology Today released an article about how black women are perceived as less attractive than black men (and less attractive than white, Asian and Native American women). And, perhaps to add a, “these-women-are-soooo-delusional” twist, also noted (with mock incredulity) that, still, somehow, black women perceive themselves as attractive, even when others do not. The article also claims that ‘objectively’ (their words, not mine) black women are less/least attractive.

My first reaction was rage. But then I did some digging. The author of the article is Satoshi Kanazawa, an evolutionary psychologist (NOT biologist) of Japanese descent who also believes that — as an evolutionary fact — all men prefer blonde women with blue eye. As I did more research I felt relieved to find that many biologists think he is a joke. The fact that he was published in Psychology Today makes me question both the field of psychology and the credibility of Psychology Today.

But this is not the first time that black women have been thrown under the bus by a mainstream institution, and it won’t be the last. From how we raise our children, to our relationships and sex lives, to how we look, black women are scrutinized and picked apart by the media. We’re a ‘hot-button, talking point’ sure to bring in ratings, comments or views. And that is why, one year ago (sparked in large part by the race-baiting joke that is CNN’s “Black in America”), I canceled my cable subscription.

I have given up expecting or hoping that the American mainstream will do right by black women. I think that our brand of beauty is unique and NOT celebrated. And how can it be when the reigning standard is this and this. I’m a beauty isolationist because in this Europhilic culture, and I don’t expect brown skin, full features, highly textured hair and curvy physiques (on black women) to be praised anytime soon.

I don’t consume a lot of mainstream media and I’m very grateful for sites like BGLH that put forth a healthy, attainable and affirming beauty standard.. And it’s kind of crazy to think that we are JUST NOW really uncovering another facet of our beauty — our hair — that we have suppressed (thanks, in great part, to mainstream media) for so long.

I’m through searching mainstream media for a reflection or affirmation of myself. I can find that among my friends, in my parents, at my church and, of course, in the natural hair community. But if I try to find it in mainstream American culture… well, I’m going to be looking for a long time.

Interesting! Ladies, what are your thoughts on all of this; the article, the ‘evolutionary psychologist’ behind it, Deanna’s response?

nylse

I fully agree with you. I was very disturbed when I saw the title of the article — I willed myself to read it, but it seems to be unavailable. It was also a slap in the face considering I got a compliment on how good I look today(wearing my first protective style after getting rid of permed ends) and then seeing this. I too do not like the Black in America series — I thought I was in the minority.
We just have to know that we are beautiful and carry ourselves that way.

alyssa j.
alyssa j.
Reply to  nylse

I agree. I have a serious dislike for shows that seem to want to dissect black people. Like some type of rare breed. Will they do a show about being white in America? Hells no!

gs
gs

I must admit, rage was also a feeling that I had when I read the article. I also felt an overwhelming sense of disappointment in the author (an asian american male) cavalier attitude toward beauty in the assumption that white/blonde was the ideal. It was the same sickening disappointment that I felt when I read the NYT article “Paper Tigers,” by Wesley Yang where he opines his lament on “picking up white women” as some prize to be conquered. Self-hatred is just pathetic — and dragging other races into your whitewashed hell is just unnecessary and sad. Your not doing… Read more »

AnonCA
AnonCA
Reply to  gs

The article was in New York Magazine, not the New York Times (newspaper) and the author Wesley Yang featured Asian “Pick-Up Artist” J.T. Tran as one of the many faces of Asian-Americans struggling to find their identity in the U.S.
I don’t think Yang, the author, was lamenting picking up white women…

Living under the construction
Living under the construction
Reply to  gs

I wholeheartedly agree with you about Wesley Yang’s Paper Tigers and this article. These men are wanna be whites. Instead of challenging the white beauty ideal they uphold it through their continual posturing and bowing down. I thought this critique of Yang’s article was particularly insightful: http://scatteredspeculations.tumblr.com/post/5363503589/asianpeopleproblems

Alisha
Reply to  gs

I read that “New York” mag article, too, by Wesley Yang and took note of how one of the Asian men featured ran a dating course that held up blonde white women as the greatest prizes to be won (I don’t know how happy blonde white women would feel about that). As for the story above- how did Psychology Today allow this piece of pseudo-science to be published? I’m actually shocked by that. The writer has a long history of making and writing controversial statements, so I would have expected more from them. To just pull the thing down now is… Read more »

NinaG
NinaG
Reply to  gs

Amen! Clearly Yang and Kanazawa desperately want to be white men by any means. I honestly feel sorry for them.

NaturalBizzyB
NaturalBizzyB

the human race started & will end with the BLACK woman. we are the center of life. ‘literally’. don’t let them shake us sisters.

Doretha
Doretha
Reply to  NaturalBizzyB

YESSSS!

Michelle M
Michelle M
Reply to  NaturalBizzyB

Exactly! We are the original women, whether people recognize this or not.

Rachel
Rachel
Reply to  NaturalBizzyB

Thank you! Clearly people have forgotten who their mothers are!

Jonesable
Jonesable

Between this and my research study on Sara Baartman , enraged fits what I’m feeling right now but I won’t give them the satisfation. I’ll just smile (with my full lips)

Michelle Hubbard
Michelle Hubbard

I seriously cannot understand the “attacks” on black people. I feel like the more we as a people respond to the bashing, the more that we affirm their delusions..that somehow black people are “different” and “seperate”. I am a 30-something woman and I now can see that it is about power more so than beauty. Beauty is individual..and it doesn’t matter the race or races that you are. I especially understand this as the aging process begins to set in and I see so many BEAUTIFUL black women who have kept their beauty throughout the years.

Ames
Ames

This is why all of the online communities that showcase and celebrate beautiful women outside of the mainstream (and ignorance) is necessary…so necessary. That is all I take away from this.

Stacey
Stacey

I didn’t even read the article. I felt like it was a waste of my time. I think that we have to believe in ourselves as far as beauty is concerned. We have to lift each other up with continued natural hair meet ups, more of us have to write, and more of us have to create avenues for other black women to write positive articles about ourselves. I live in a world where my own father hates my hair. The only time he likes it is when I tie it in a quiff and most of it is out… Read more »

Annaleisha
Reply to  Stacey

Well said! So beautifully written!!!

Allen
Allen
Reply to  Annaleisha

Mr. Kanazawa is an idiot and does not speak for this Asian man.

Black women are beautiful.

Safera
Safera

Dear Sisters, Love, Peace, Good Health and Joy to you all. I read this website frequently, but have not commented (as far as I can remember lol), but I feel compelled to say this: Before I saw the name of this man in this post, he did not exist. Before I saw the name of the the publication or website his words appeared in, it did not exist. I understand that the thought of his opinion about black women being published is angering, disconcerting or even hurtful, but please do not allow his opinion to upset you any further. This is our… Read more »

Tabora
Tabora
Reply to  Safera

Well said, thank you so much for your kind and beautiful words.

Just as I am
Just as I am
Reply to  Safera

Perfect.
THANK YOU, SISTER.

indigo.m
indigo.m
Reply to  Safera

I agree. You are spreading his work by posting this bs to this website. It is time we stop looking towards Psychology Today or any European publication to tell us who we are. We must stop responding to this negativity. So what if a Japanese person says that Black women are ugly. Who cares!!! I dont

Alisha
Reply to  Safera

Well said. Thank you.

Jai
Jai

This is scientifically untrue. If we accept the Out of Africa hypothesis, blacks would be the “least mutated” race, since every other “race” had to adapt to their environment (lighter skin in places with less sun). There are also no real studies linking more mutations=unattractiveness.
This is bunk science.

kenzy
kenzy
Reply to  Jai

No the current theory is that the people still living on the African continent are the most diverse people on the planet since different types of people left at diffent times in history.

chouxchoux

I wasn’t even enraged when I read the article. In fact, I laughed. Why? Because any respectable and reputable sociologist or biologist would also laugh out loud. Either would tell you that race is a social construct (illusion, really) created by humans. It goes back to the Thomas Theorem, which simply put states, things that we believe to be real are real in their consequences. “I think, therefore, I am,” essentially. Race exists because we think it does. It is NOT biological, there are NO genetic differences between races. It is NOT something that shows up in your DNA or… Read more »

Delightbunnie
Delightbunnie
Reply to  chouxchoux

Someone
Someone
Reply to  chouxchoux

Each majority has oppressed a minority. It’s true in Japan, Africa, and here. Internment camps anyone? I was totally with you up to the generalization point, I just want to note that pointing the finger at him as a racist should not be applied to all or most Japanese people.

Patricia Kayden
Patricia Kayden
Reply to  chouxchoux

@Chouxchoux,

Have to google the story about the Japanese of South American descent. Believe I’ve heard about Japanese Brazilians so I guess that’s what you are referring to.

Robin
Robin

I agree with most of Deanna’s sentiments, but I must say that it seems brash to question the entire field of psychology based upon one controversial psychologist’s work. Evolutionary psychology is a hotly debated and controversial subfield of psychology that has no reflection on the vast field itself (I mean even psychologists have some qualms about the work being presented from this subfield). Also, as a biologist, I like to view other fields of science with as much respect and appreciation as possible. I may not find psychology interesting, per say, but I am not going to hold my work… Read more »

chouxchoux
Reply to  Robin

You know what? I didn’t even realize he had not included Latino women in his pretty little graphs and incomplete statistical information. I was actually surprised he included Native American as they are usually left out as if they don’t matter either. Good observation.

Patricia Kayden
Patricia Kayden
Reply to  Robin

Hispanic is not a race. There are Black, White, Asian Hispanics.

clare kendry
clare kendry

I didn’t read the article. What the hell is wrong with the Psychology Today? So this author is a pointless, self-hating man, but for Psychology Today to publish such a man’s work is ridiculous because it is in essence validating his work!!

Peary
Peary

At first I was pissed off. But then I thought wait. I have practically pulled every race. And I’m Nigerian. Very very dark, Full lips, round nose, so wait a minuite…And I won’t say I’m Gawguss or anything outstanding, but I do take care of myself. Then I saw the author, sorry If this come off badly but I wouldn’t expect more from an Asian man. Many I’ve met suffer from inferiority complexes/ “short man syndrome” and worship white women. This article was just used to deflect how unnatractive many people may find Asian. What better way than to put… Read more »

Peary
Peary
Reply to  Peary

Please excuse some of my errors, I’m a mess lol

Kesha
Kesha

Science like any other vehicle in our society can be used as a tool for good or evil. We bring our personal biases and pathologies to any business we do and the life of a psychologist is no difference. I pity Mr. Satoshi Kanazawa and his prejudice and self-hatred. I am not sure how one could live with that level of hatred for others (or, self-hatered for that matter) and feel one onuce of life satisfaction or peace. I am deeply disappointed with the editoral staff at Psychology Today, and as a practicing Psychotherapist and Professional Counselor I will be… Read more »

Kelea
Kelea

Simply unbelievable. Think about the time it took him to write all this bullshit. Maybe he is just looking for some kind of attention. I am totally for an isolationist approach to beauty. I just hate when hypocritical magazines like Vogue are making a “special edition” for black women as if we were some kind of exotic animals. They are the one who are in power in the fashion industry so if they were genuinely interested in having more black women in magazines we would have noticed that for a long time. And I don’t even mention the constant representation… Read more »

Fz
Fz
Reply to  Kelea

Good point about the innocent comment. We need to look inside for beauty and force ourselves to be confident. Those who care about us do not necessarily give us the healthiest views.

Foxy
Foxy
Reply to  Fz

So true, I know so many people who have said, “She’s cute, for a dark skinned girl” or have said, “she’s dark skinned AND pretty” as if the two are freaking mutually exclusive. The powers that be benefit–or seek to benefit–in some way from trampling upon the self-esteem and self-worth of so called “people of color”. We cannot blame them or be angry at them for perpetuating bs that they believe/know benefits them in some way. Just stop caring. Stop seeking external validation. If WE define US, then we create the standard. Why are we (some of us) so keen… Read more »

S.
S.

I agree with Deanna. I’m over it. At this point I care more about my opinion of myself than others’ opinion of me.

The fact that an Asian man can sit there and say blond hair and blue eyes is more beautiful really sickens me and makes me disregard anything else he has to say. If you can’t appreciate your own beauty how can you appreciate anyone else’s?

Leo the Yardie Chick
Leo the Yardie Chick
Reply to  S.

The only thing that did brighten me up a bit is that the “study” showed that black women still found themselves “very attractive” and that’s something to celebrate.” Exactly! The world can go kick itself!

As for this scientists, he’s no prize winner himself so I don’t know where he gets off telling an entire race of women that we’re ‘manly’ and ‘unattractive’.

christy hyman
christy hyman

I read the article. His main point were that we black women are unintelligent, overweight, and masculine. The problem I have with his “science” is that he was basing his entire research under a premise that is subjective. Premise being: Black women are unattractive Now I am black, with full lips, high cheekbones, and a very coke bottlesque shape. In other words, Negroid as the captors of the days of old would say. In my lifetime I have been pursued by Black men, Asian men, White American men, Turkish men, Algerian men and I had to take out a restraining order… Read more »

NinaG
NinaG

When you love yourself, there’s always gon’ be haters.” — Beauty Within by Dead Prez.

alyssa j.
alyssa j.
Reply to  NinaG

Nuff said.

Ms. M
Ms. M

I read the aricle and looked at the “bar graphs.” I call “BS.” Most of the readings are ALL “3.4 — 3.7” I don’t see how that’s “significant” or worthy of an entire article saying that “Black Women Are Less Attractive.” :insert eyeroll here: Me thinks the author of the article had some sort of personal agenda(his black girlfriend left him for someone with a bigger d!ck) and since he lacked the scientific data to back up his feelings(black women are less attractive) he had to bastardize this article with a title that states his own thoughts and a grossly… Read more »

Nichole
Nichole

I must admit that I was immediately enraged. In fact, I looked the guy up and he’s pretty much a cook. But something my boyfriend (who is white) said after his disgust really struck me. He said that really by even bothering to read this article, posting it on our hair sites (our meaning his too, because I spend hours a day at his side reading blogs and explaining hair things, lol)is just introducing negative energy and giving him unnecessary publicity. So I propose that maybe we just ignore it, him, and society as we move on in our natural hair… Read more »

Teesha
Teesha
Reply to  Nichole

But honestly, although these things are hard to hear, a part of me feels that we need to hear them. Even though BGLH is an oasis, damn a UTOPIA for us naturals, we have to understand that it is a website. Leila is pulling stories from women all over the country to create an artificial (in the sense that it is digital and not geographical) community. The article by whatever-his-name-is is closer to the reality that some of us live in. I went to a conservative, Christian pretty much all-white school, and I knew quite a few “Christians” who felt that… Read more »

rosie
rosie
Reply to  Nichole

“He said that really by even bothering to read this article, posting it on our hair sites (our meaning his too, because I spend hours a day at his side reading blogs and explaining hair things, lol)is just introducing negative energy and giving him unnecessary publicity.” I would tell your boyfriend, that for some (if not a lot) of black women, this is not just a “study” in a magazine that you can fold up and throw away, but a on-going experience. No group of women has to wake up in the morning and read the articles, surveys, opinion pieces… Read more »

Mac
Mac
Reply to  rosie

Rosie, I agree with you wholeheartedly.

thelady
thelady
Reply to  rosie

I agree that other groups of women do not have to deal with this constant negative onslaught and that this is an opportunity and a safe space for us to vent.

Ebony

What’s being stated about black women doesn’t really bother me because it doesn’t apply…However, I roll my eyes at the fact that time was even wasted on such a “STUDY”. It’s another thing that psychologists get to label and put in a box. It makes me question their credibility! Why would they even waste time, ink, and energy on something like this?

I do believe in studying the root of a problem to get to the solution…Maybe that’s the aim??????????? Who knows!

M.J.
M.J.
Reply to  Ebony

Everytime an attack on Black women is launched, there’s always somebody (or “somebodies”) saying: Who cares? It doesn’t apply to me.
Nappy headed hoes? Who cares? It’s not me.
Michelle Obama is related to primates? Who cares? It’s not me.
Black women are scientifically proven to look like a$$? Who cares? That’s not me.
Apathy for every attack.
Thank goodness we, as a people, didn’t feel this way 50 years ago. B/c we all could’ve said, “Emmit Till isn’t me…who cares?”. An attack (or more accurately, a barrage of attacks) is an attack whether it’s verbal or physical, 20th century or 21st century.

keke
keke
Reply to  M.J.

Thank you M.J…and let me add that this is the reason why black people are always the butt of jokes

Pam
Pam

the article can be read on curlynikki. the author is a racist and one of his collegues is quoted as calling him “the great idiot of social science”. my psych proffessors say that Psychology Today has never been taken seriously, its garbage. pretty much ALL his research is racist garbage, like the bell curve version 2.0. It pisses me off that we can’t seem to catch a break anywhere. society constantly screams at us “how DARE you love yourself! NOBODY loves you!” I agree with you, I dont think our beauty on US will be validated any time soon. everything… Read more »

Aiden
Aiden

The original article is badly written, lacks documentation and citations (i.e the writer is just throwing out his own assumptions without backing it up with SCIENCE/FACT) and is honestly just a twisted opinion piece at best. “There are many biological and genetic differences between the races.” HA! Not true at all.

Leo the Yardie Chick
Leo the Yardie Chick
Reply to  Aiden

Makes me wonder how this nimrod got published. I had to do so much fact checking and source citing for my research paper, yet he got away with publishing his opinion as fact? Wow.

Alexia

I wholeheartedly agree. I also want to add that evolutionary psychology is often viewed as a dubious field of study by many scientists of different stripes, mainly because evo psych often turns out to be pure conjecture. Sure, we can make educated guesses about the behaviours and thoughts of our pre-literate ancestors, but you can never really know.

beadgyrl
beadgyrl

I can’t understand why we would be enraged and shocked by this article? I’ve known for years, (without some wanna be brainwashed asian) writing some piece of crap information. I mean whites, and other races have thought this for years, without actually saying it. This dude obviously does not think asian women are attractive either.…when he hails and upholds the beauty of the white, blonde, blue-eyed woman over his own race of women! Yes sisters, I can’t help admit that I was incensed by reading this article as well. Not only was our beauty and features attacked, but our intelligence… Read more »

cygnet
cygnet

I not only read the article, I read a lot of the comments that came after it on the web site to which Deanna’s link went. One of them was from someone else in the field of evo psych. Even that person dismisses Kanazawa and his work and made it clear that the rest of the top people in that field dismiss Kanazawa also, forbidding his presence at their conferences because of his shenanigans. If the people in his own field don’t accept him or his work, then clearly we don’t need to accept it, either. The thing about it… Read more »

B
B

Hmm… As far as I can tell, Psychology today is not an academic journal. I found it described as a periodical for the lay person. It is also described on at least one database as not being a peer-reviewed journal. This means that articles are not vetted by academic peers in the field before being accepted for publication. I am an academic scientist and this is not science. One look at the website was enough to suggest to me that this periodical is more entertainment that information. This would never have been published after peer-review. It probably would have been… Read more »

fluffy
fluffy
Reply to  B

The author of the article is an academic, and has tenure at a “prestigious” University.

Tonya Juanise
Tonya Juanise

This man is trippin’, black women are beautiful. There are bust downs in every race so why do other races always say Black people are ugly as if all whites and asians look good.

Please.

I’ve learned not to look to mainstream to show us Black women love as well. I know my worth and it is in Christ. So if anyone doesnt like the way I look, it’s not my problem.

Leo the Yardie Chick
Leo the Yardie Chick
Reply to  Tonya Juanise

I don’t know what it is… why are Black people such a threat?!? Why do people constantly feel the need to tear us down? I just dont get it.”

That’s what I’d like to know too! If we’re ‘inferior’, then why all this attention? What has them so flipping fascinated/obsessed with us?

aiych
aiych

This kind of stuff has started to wear on me over the years. It’s bigger than just this article, small things piled up can start to get heavy. “You’re pretty…for a black girl”; television series talking about how we are desparate for a man but can’t get one; movies that like to showcase desparate, angry, stereotypical black women (Precious, Tyler Perry’s crap, Monster’s Ball, etc); abortion ads blasting black women like we are single-handedly destroying our race with no regards to the wellbeing of our children; celebrity men publicly calling black women dark and ugly, nappy, difficult; and then articles like this.… Read more »

aiych
aiych
Reply to  aiych

in addition, I think self-love is more valuable than affirmation from others. In the end, you are all you’ve got.

So if we are “delusional” to think we are beautiful when other people supposedly do not, then so be it, I would rather be delusional than look to others for validation.

Kaz
Kaz
Reply to  aiych

Wow. You’ve just summed up the modern day equivalent of the hard labour burdens blacks were laden with during ‘official’ slavery days. Well said.

Kimmy
Kimmy

Ladies, why get upset about something like this? I look at it this way — does Toyota get upset when all the other sub-par car companies try to point out its flaws? No, they don’t, because they know that they are targeted because of the envy of their competitors. As a result, when I see things like this, I’m not surprised, because I sincerely believe that most others are envious of the characteristics of black women. Either that or I’m overly self-confident, think that black women are superiorily attractive and couldn’t imagine being any other race. Either way, topics like… Read more »

Fz
Fz

Yes, that researcher is completely whacko. It is should be reassuring that many scientists dislike him and the bad name he brings to science and psychology. I do also agree that mainstream media is not necessarily (not at all?) rooting for our team. One last things in regards to this comment: “I don’t expect brown skin, full features, highly textured hair and curvy physiques (on black women) to be praised anytime soon.” I just thought I would note how seeing “curvy physiques” made me feel: I have wanted a curvy physique since, well since I can remember! I think curves are… Read more »

Monisola
Monisola

I want to put something positive out there!

LOVE YOURSELVES SISTERS! YOU KNOW WE ARE QUEENS! EVERY TYPE OF PERSON IS BEAUTIFUL WE KNOW THIS SHIT IS JUST BECAUSE OF RACISM! LET US HOLD OUR HEADS UP AND PUT MORE THINGS LIKE BGLH OUT THERE FOR THE WORLD TO SEE. WE CAN DEFINE and CHANGE THE WORLD BY PROJECTING OUR SELF LOVE!

p
p

Leila, it would be great if you posted on the main page - Please call Psychology Today and speak to someone/leave a message about this heinous article. *PRIORITY* Jo Coleman, CEO (646) 600‑9151 or (212) 260‑7210 X219 Please make it known to Coleman that you find the longstanding professional support of Kanazawa by Kaja Perina, Editor in Chief of PT, completely abhorrent. In his 2007 book, “Why beautiful people have more daughters”, Satoshi Kanazawa (co-author) writes, “My dear friend Kaja Perina, current editor in chief of PT, has been a truly unfailing supporter of me, my career, and this book project.” It’s… Read more »

indigo.m
indigo.m
Reply to  p

Great research

df
df

[img]http://bglhonline.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/tumblr_llb9rsnCiZ1qzo0zoo1_500.jpg[/img]

binks
binks
Reply to  df

LOVE this! I find it funny that we are suppose to be ugly, a non issue and unworthy in their eyes but it seems like they are obsessed with us. Or look to us for something to steal and claim as their own. I say screw whoever wrote this bs and this publicatiion. Like your voice and money speak for you and protest and boycott. Keep ya head up sistahs

Adriii
Adriii
Reply to  binks

LOVE IT!!!!

Laina
Laina

I SO agree with nearly everyones’ comments. Another thing I also want to add is: how can ALL black women be “ugly” when we all look SO vastly different? Even my sister and I look different! We come in different shapes, sizes, colors… just like many women of other “races”. That’s why studies like this are complete BS. Because every human is different looking and acting, and everyone’s perception of beauty is different.

snd i’ve had a guy like me & think i’m attractive from pretty much every “race” there is. thanks.

Nicole

Though I haven’t read it, I probably will take a look and then file it under the nonsensical bile that I’ve heard/read/seen/experienced. What I am immediately disturbed about is that Psychology Today would publish an article by a person who’s credibility and work is in question. As someone who occasionally picks up PT and has considered subscribing, it certainly doesn’t make them look good.

Nicole

After reading the article I’d like to note that there is no genetic difference among races. You can’t look at DNA and determine if the individual is black, white, etc. Race is a social construction. Also, it has been established that Africa is the most genetically diverse continent (genetic diversity is GOOD for a population) due to the fact that humans have been there the longest, but genetic diversity does NOT equal detrimental genetic mutations, so trying to measure attractiveness “caused” by “mutations” makes no sense to me. He also doesn’t differentiate between the different ethnic groups that black women… Read more »

Leo the Yardie Chick
Leo the Yardie Chick

Am I angry? No. I’m flipping amused. Why? Because we’re supposed to be so unattractive and ugly, etc, yet he and other ‘experts’ can’t stop flapping their gums and writing about us to their peers. If we’re so ‘sub-human’, then why all this attention? What, see something you like and can’t understand why you do? Also, yes. I do believe that it’s high time we took an isolationist approach to our beauty, our health and our wellness. We’ll be waiting in vain if we expect mainstream society to do so; we need to do it ourselves. My Tumblr dashboard is filled… Read more »

M.B.
M.B.

I was on my way to bed when I read this non-sense. I knew I would not be able to sleep until I shared my thoughts on Mr. Kanazawa’s article. As a black man, the father of a black daughter, son of black mother, the brother of black sister and the soul mate to a black woman, I find Mr. Kanazawa’s article and the fact that Psychology Today published it both highly offensive. As I write this, everything in me is trying not to spew my thoughts on what I think of the “attractiveness” of Asian woman, for that would… Read more »

Patricia Kayden
Patricia Kayden
Reply to  M.B.

Nice comment!!

lyn
lyn

For some reason, after reading that article and taking a long hard look in the mirror, I am shocked at how incredibly beautiful I am. I am not cute (meaning sweet and adorable looking), I have never claimed to be, but I am beautiful, in a striking, breathtaking kind of way. But the funny thing is, I won’t take everyone’s breath away, just the people who my beauty appeals to (which is why I don’t find every man attractive, just the one’s that appeal to my idea of handsomeness). We are all that way, individually beautiful. It’s not just a… Read more »

K.Cee
K.Cee

I just think of this as a person with an opinion. An idiot can have one, stupid as it may be. It might be published in a magazine, website or whatever but that really means nothing. I mean, it is sad when ignorance and racism is passed off as “science” or “fact” but this type of stuff is done on a daily basis. Just turn on the news. I think so many people are irate because they think that an academic journal (which needs to be peer-reviewed before publication) actually accepted this. As far as I can see, this is… Read more »

Adriii
Adriii

I saw this quote in the comments on a forum and I think it sums up the answer to this question perfectly:

Her beauty cannot be measured with standards of a colonized mind.”
‑Michelle NdegeOcello

Michelle Hubbard
Michelle Hubbard

ditto:)

anastasia
anastasia

+1 As this is the REAL issue-

A more appropriate research article would have been: The socioculutural construction of beauty: The effects of operant and classical conditioning on the Western collective mind.

Princess
Princess

Hey guys, Just my 2pence on the subject .… . I have not read the article and I wont because it isnt worth my time and I refuse to have other people make me doubt myself and that is what this man is trying to do. He (and quite a few others) want us to feel inferior. Black women are continuously dissed because well, some of us keep walking with our heads up high — thats not part of their plan. But also because they often see the reaction they want from some of us, hollering and shouting, going out… Read more »

Cyan
Cyan

I am fearfully and wonderfully made in God’s sight(Ps 134 v 14). He created me and if you chose to hate me — how I look, how I act, everything about me, well thats your problem!!!

Ladies believe it “Bad talk is progress!!!” They wonder and whisper about us and they still can’t understand so they try to break us down because they can’t figure us out!!!!

CupOf*T
CupOf*T

It’s funny to me that after all these years of oppression — we (black women) are still being attacked. It really makes you think- “why attack a group of people that you already believe are below you, unless you feel threatened by that group” — I’m just saying, I think a lot of people (unfortunately even some black men) feel threatened by black women, therefore they have the need to try to attack us. But like someone said above, if you are looking for this world to validate us — forget it- you have to validate yourself and give yourself… Read more »

sasha

It really upsets me to see crazy artical like this given attentiion on OUR sites… This is not the first time I have seen issues like this talked about in forums.…. and to give that kind of crap a voice..make me so angry. Black women beautiful period and we don’t need anyone to comfirm that us ! If I felt the way some of these “experts” told me how I should feel … I would never leave the house. White women get cheated on disrespected and relationships fall apart just like evryone else.…they have no secret power LOL .. they… Read more »

Destiny
Destiny

I recommend that this site really should ignore this kind of topic. Many people have commented on that train of thought and I agree. Sometimes I come on bglh and leave feeling worse about myself because of a topic posted that reassured an insecurity. I don’t think it is as important for us to know every detail of how the “enemy” thinks about how we look and who we are as it is for us to keep it positive. We already know how it is, we grew up in the world, we know the history, we’ve already heard it all… Read more »

Princess
Princess
Reply to  Destiny

Love what you have to say here and agree with you. Lets not give this any more attention xx

RCT
RCT

I havent read the article and I don’t plan to… I make it my business to not entertain nonsense like this and continue being as beautiful as I am, loving myself… Sad thing is that there are so many black women that will forever be stuck in the mainstream ideals of “true beauty” … I’ll pass

RCT
RCT
Reply to  RCT

The only way these types of issues grow at such magnitude is because we feed into them with our thoughts and opinions when in all actuality, this BS does not deserve even a little of our attention.

thelady
thelady

I’ve been avoiding Women’s Magazines for 10 years because of the unattainable standard of beauty they promote. I stopped listening to the radio 3 years ago because of the disrespectul lyrics and don’t miss it. I learn about new music online and buy if it is worth listening too. The mainstream media doesn’t give a damn about black women which is why so many of us have turned to the internet for our media.

fluffy
fluffy

Check out his credentials. He is a paid prof. at the London School of Economics. I kid you not. This article (along w/his previous “works”) and his tenure should raise a lot of questions, and people really need to start digging. I’ve dug around in American History, and the history of racism/ racialized thinking. It is my opinion that people like him are paid to make up crap so that it filters down to the “masses” and causes decisions w/in our country (U.S.A) and others. Just another tool in “Divide and conquer.” It is not a grand conspiracy (in strict… Read more »

Mac
Mac
Reply to  fluffy

The odd thing about that is that Britain has far more interracial marriage than the US. I think this writer is just very, very self-hating, and wants to spread that around. (He has also argued in favor of the bombing of Hiroshima — a Japanese man! Arguing this!)

B
B

The thing about ‘tenure’ (or the UK equivalent, which is not quite the same, as I understand it) is that you can’t then easily be removed from your position even if you later go off the deep end professionally. Tenure is based on your early career (first 5–7 years or so). His offensive publications didn’t start until later (going by the list on the LSE site). The quotes on his website suggest that he relishes this negative response to his warped views and probably sees it as evidence of his being right. Best to ignore him and not feed his… Read more »

Canteloupe_Brown
Canteloupe_Brown

I’ve done some more research…and found this from a blog called Encefalus. Kanazawa is sick and does things like this to piss off people on purpose. He’s self-hating. He even said dropping bombs on Hiroshima was an act of compassion, and that although men control basically everything…women are in control of men because of their boobs. Whatever. From Encefalus ( ) on Kanazawa and Evolutionary Psychology: QUOTE: “Of course, not everything in evolutionary psychology is right, like you may have suspected I believe by this article. Check this blog out for example in Psychology Today Blogs: The Scientific Fundamentalist. This… Read more »

bb
bb

Amazing. I have also taken an isolationist approach when it comes to society standards. I stopped buying women/fashion magazines over a year ago, don’t listen to the radio and rarely watch TV. There was no point in subscribing to something that never gave me beauty advice for my natural hair texture, or makeup for my skin tone. The lack of diversity in shows + stereotypes perpetuated in black shows (on VH1 and BET)led me to give up TV. And the radio on the music these days has gotten unnecessarily vulgar, misogynistic, and rampant with profanity.….but don’t think for a second… Read more »

merry
merry
Reply to  bb

i swear, i think this is me talking.

i’ve done all of these things -

stopped watchig tv, and got netflix.
stopped buying magazines years ago — when i was a teen.
and i find music i wanna listen to online.

it initially started as a media diet buy i haven’t gone back and i don’t miss it.

Bumper
Bumper

I really don’t buy into this ‘black women are unattractive’ nonsense. I live in the UK and am a dark skinned woman. I am constantly, and I mean constantly, being chatted up or asked out by men of all races. They stop me in the street, sometimes pretending to ask for directions, before eventually confessing they just wanted to ask me out. My partner is white and this is a standing joke between us — whenever I leave the house he says “don’t get stolen”. Of course, there are some men out there who do not find black women attractive,… Read more »

Patricia Kayden
Patricia Kayden
Reply to  Bumper

AMEN! In my experience dark skinned Black women do alright in the dating/marrying world. Not saying that this is universally true, but can only speak from my vantage point.

I thought the poster went a little far when she said she canceled cable because of CNN’s BLACK IN AMERICA. WOW. I still have cable and see nothing wrong with how Black women are portrayed. I don’t watch BET and the silly “light skinned only women” music videos. And I didn’t watch BLACK IN AMERICA. LOL.

Shell

Ignorance knows no bounds. We all know how beautiful we are. There will always be attacks on us from so called “experts” and the culture at large. Let us continue to shine and celebrate our beauty.

Amandy
Amandy
Reply to  Shell

I totally agree with all you guys. I’m white, lol, but I totally see how ignorant these blond articles are. Let me point out something really true that disproves it–Let’s take all the equator countries for instance. From an evolutionary standpoint, wouldn’t blond women have a lot of trouble surviving there? And wouldn’t dark hair, which was the furthest from white, indicate youth there? So logically, shouldn’t the men who live along the equator prefer dark hair? Blond hair would have never evolved there as a sign of youth and it would not be built into men’s hardwiring. But no,… Read more »

A.C
A.C

I concur with the Ladies who have stated that this article is nonsense. I too have received many compliments, date offers, etc from Men of other races, especially since becoming natural. I think its interesting that this article is coming from a Japanese Psychologist because he comes from a culture where the youth emulate African hair and paint themselves brown. Google “Bombhead” and “Yamanba and manba”. I find that mainstream media is displaying more images of Black Women with natural hair I actually spent some time collecting ads of such when I first went natural http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFyO7ata3i0, but I don’t think… Read more »

Faye
Faye
Reply to  A.C

Yamanba and manba are actually more extreme versions of Ganguro which are really emulating the California teens with tans and blonde hair. The term means ‘mountain hag’ which is incorporated into the exaggerated ganguro style with wild colors and messy hair. They aren’t trying to paint themselves brown and have African hair, and I’m a little offended you think they look like us! Lol. Also, I googled bombhead and it seems to have been a website about all types of hairstyles on Asians. 😀

Ms.Goose
Ms.Goose

Um Yeah. I’m So over mainstream media. I’m even MORE over the attack on black women. I’m doing my part by being proud and natural. And HONESTLY, MainStream Media ( in my humble and small circle of experince) does not define what is beautiful. People ACTUALLY Love my Natural hair look BETTER than my straight hair, Full Lace, and weaves. I actually get more attention, “play” & “game” being a nautural sistah, than i did during my conforming days. And this is from black, and non black men/women alike. And i have the often dreaded 4c KINKY hair. So Eff what… Read more »

SophiaC
SophiaC

You can sign a petition to stop psychology today from publishing racists and sexists articles please sign here!

Greg

What’s, the sense in posting comments, then discover that they’ve only been deleted the next day?…lol…lol That kind of predictable behavior, and attitude only shows that BW are unwilling to hear the truth, about anything…especially themselves! That’s, nothing new! So, since BW desire to keep their minds, and ears closed then they are doing absolutely nothing but admitting by their actions that the article in question speaks as the real truth! And, also that BW choose to remain in their sad, pathetic world of perpetual denial! I guess that’s clearly 45% of all BW in the US will “never marry… Read more »

Moi
Moi
Reply to  Greg

You are full of garbage and sound like a petty little Black geek who cannot get a Black woman to give you the time of day because you are so lame,corny, and misogynistic. Go hang out with the fool who wrote that stupid PT article so y’all can compare notes on how it sucks to be a couple of single, frustrated, bitter, pathetic women-repelling losers.

Yiyita
Yiyita

Psychology today still has that article up about blondes. First of all, it is not scientific at all. Secondly, what about the obvious bleached blondes what does that show about youth? As my dad used to say being Latin, tall, flat butt, cold white women with blue eyes or “larga flaca” Maybe they should say white men and Arab men prefer blondes but Asian men I have talked to that were born in China find blue eyes and blonde hari “ghoul like and creepy” The problem is people generalize too much. People like different types. I dated white blonde men,… Read more »

Tina
Tina

I think we should do our very best to fit the standards of physical and social beauty. Doing the reverse creates too many problems and decreases opportunities. Let’s all first start by being the healthiest that we can be and getting ourselves fit.

dionne
dionne
Reply to  Tina

As controversial as it sounds I agree with your comment-too many times bw try to be different in a world where differences just single you out- I’m not saying to emulate other race women but I feel and see that non bw take more pride in their appearance ie. she eats well,her hair is always clean,she is down the gym trying to maintain that slim figure,she chooses healthy food etc.… Of course there are many bw that subscribe to this way of living but the fact is the majority do not. BW are beautiful but because other race women look more like white… Read more »

Etrineanluc8
Etrineanluc8
Reply to  dionne

It’s actually the exact opposite. Most other non white women resemble us. Look around, the only thing other non white women have is straighter hair. But when it comes to most skin tones and eye colors fuller features most races share our traits. Most people in the world are beige to caramel with brown eyes in skin tones that resemble coffee. Most non white women have fuller features and almond shaped eyes.
You have Philippians, Mexicans and many others who share our color and some of our bone structures

Catherine
Catherine

Not that this applies to everyone but, what do minority women most typically want to look like? A white woman. The media has always portrayed that a white woman is the most ideal beauty as well. It’s been the basic thought for so long. Besides that, what’s the ideal man? Is it the same because I have no clue. Usually it comes down to body type and not race. Everyone has different standards of beauty and we are all beautiful in our own ways. What everyone should shoot for is wrong because not everyone wants that. Look your best. Be your best. Don’t… Read more »

Venetta Ginocchio

I totally agree with Jamie. My wife cheated on me for six years. She told me after the first year and we did go through counselling and she vowed not to do it again. But six years later I found out she didn’t stop. I am still very very angry at the man with whom she did the affair with, because he is more than double her age and he has married three times before. But he saw that we had problems and took advantage of that. I have told him that I never would like to cross path with… Read more »

african dating

Wow, superb blog layout! How long have you been blogging for? you make running a blog glance easy. The full glance of your web site is wonderful, let alone the content!

furgoni usati

I like the helpful info you provide in your articles. I’ll bookmark your weblog and check again here regularly. I’m quite sure I’ll learn a lot of new stuff right here! Good luck for the next!

free mediafire download

It’s appropriate time to make some plans for the long run and it’s time to be happy. I have learn this submit and if I may I want to recommend you few interesting things or tips. Maybe you can write next articles relating to this article. I wish to read even more issues approximately it!

Penelope
Penelope

+1 to this whole article. I know this is old, but since then ‘science’ has discovered the ‘most beautiful’ woman, and (surprise, surprise) she’s white with fair skin, blue eyes and blonde hair. It’s ‘scientifically’ proven that she’s beautiful because of some bullshit formulas that fit the Eurocentric ideal of beauty. I’m so tired of this shit. How can you turn something subjective like preferences and taste into ‘objective’ science? I don’t think she’s that pretty but of course I’mm wrong because ‘science’ says otherwise. And I’m especially tired of commonly black features being praised on non-black people, which this… Read more »

Andrea Lewis
Andrea Lewis
Reply to  Penelope

Most people depend on popular culture to tell them what and who to like, so of course there will be people who believe that blondes “have more fun”, should be more desirable and are generally considered superior. When I was in high school, a long time ago, one of my male teachers brought up the topic and mentioned a study that showed that women with long brown hair were considered the most desirable to men. Red hair, by the way, was considered least attractive. The researchers didn’t simply ask men what they thought was most attractive, they tested their physical… Read more »

gs
gs

I started a pinterest page of videos with this very idea in mind…

curlyhairbigbrowneyes
curlyhairbigbrowneyes

I can’t believe that post by Kanazawa. Ill be doing some research on him. but as the writer of this post stated stop looking to the media for validation and approval of what beauty is. we will never find it looking for it in the media, because unfortunately this is a white mans world. Black women and men will always be frowned upon no matter what it is we do. anyways, be encouraged. BLACK IS BEAUTIFUL.

Tabatha
Tabatha

Actually Black men are highly desired in Japan. NO LIE! I was kind of surprised. I think its because hip hop and reggae is so big there now. Well and other things, but we won’t discuss that.

dionne
dionne

Whats equally unfair is that bm who are not always good-looking get let off,simply because looks are more important on a women.

Mukisa

I am in accord with Deanna’s point. First of all, we as consumers of the media have to consume and think critically. Anyone with a degree is an “expert”. An expert in what, though? How does someone’s personal life and bias affect their expertise? As to validation from mainstream America, I have labelled that a lost cause a long time ago. From so many different angles, I am “other” or “underground.” As an obese, 1st generation Ugandan American, intelligent, dark(er) skinned, natural woman, there are very few positive mainstream images that I can connect with. I do spend my time… Read more »

Tabatha
Tabatha

[img]https://bglh-marketplace.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/mag2‑1.jpg[/img] [img]https://bglh-marketplace.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/magcover‑1.jpg[/img] Its not the first time that I have seen this either. Below is a local magazine that had the same thing in it, what was a serious gut check was that they had it on the cover with a beautiful little girl on it. I literally cried over that, I would have been fine if it was just some story on the inside, but to have it on the cover was “Whooo”! I remember when I picked it up a few other people buying magazines just stared at me, like I was going to have a fit in… Read more »

imani
imani

When I see crap like this I remind myself of who we are as a people: Insecure ppl fearful of their own worthiness seek to attack anyone they deem a threat. Insecure ppl who know need to have an underdog to elevate themselves.… God said “I will make your enemies your footstool…”. When they keep trying to crush us & we rebound stronger & more resilient..they get fearful. When they see the playing field getting a little to level they seek to imbalance it.the law no longer allws them to deny us citizenship, rights, a voice so what can they… Read more »

dionne
dionne
Reply to  imani

Powerful delivery..well said.

Tabatha
Tabatha
Reply to  imani

Well I’m not fearful at all. I floss it no matter what. Yeah we’ve been made to feel bad for ourselves and what we have achieved and certain people don’t want us to. But its all good, We need to make sure that we instill pride in our children as they grow and let them know that they may look different then their friend Mary in girl scouts or Bobby in baseball, but they are just as important, beautiful and loved.

kendra b
kendra b

He upset because he has a little dick. Yeh, I said it and you know it’s true. 🙂

Tabatha
Tabatha
Reply to  kendra b

Hey now, if we don’t want to be judge over our hair then we can’t judge him buy his package. its not always true. I dated an Asian that put most Mandingos to shame. I was shocked.

momofIV
momofIV
Reply to  kendra b

Betcha a sista broke his heart and instead of revenge porn (yuck) he does revenge research.

momofIV
momofIV

The irony of it all…google mr. racist reesearcher “Satoshi Kanazawa” and see his pics. This is the male who is calling Black Women fat, ugly, stupid, and genetically mutated. I laughed when I saw his pics. Whatever his issues are, he feels free to direct them at the African-American Black Woman. However he looks, he does not have the right to take and twist someone’s research and present it as “fact” in his so-called “objective” viewpoint and demean an entire racial gender. We need to take our beauty and define it as we see it, not society or some psychology… Read more »