Poetic Justice Braids: Should they make a comeback?

Avatar • May 12, 2011

Reader Brandi says;

So I’ve been searching for summer styles then I had a revelation: Poetic justice braids! So I went on a image search (to show my braid stylist) and actually found that Solange was wearing these around March (I feel so fashion forward, lol). So I was just wondering what the BGLH community thinks about these large, waist length, 90’s braids? Making a comeback or should stay where they are.…?

Lol, great question! I’d love to hear from both a style AND haircare standpoint. Because I know some naturals might have hair that is too fine/fragile to support the weight of these braids without excess shedding, or breakage along the hairline. So, would you rock this style ladies?

Smith
Smith

They have made a come back and I’m glad!

Smith
Smith

They have made a come back and I’m glad!!

Juicy
Juicy

Yes beautiful if God willing I can rock these on an island

Ms. M
Ms. M

Poetic Justice braids never left where I’m at(philly).
I still see girls with those every single day.

thischick
thischick

I personally don’t like to have braids, but if they suit you wear them no matter what “trend” this may or may not be.

Angelina
Angelina

I am so going to this hairstyle this summer!

mangomadness
mangomadness

Yes. I’ve always loved the look of box braids.

Sugamama
Sugamama

this post is right on time! I want waist length senegalese twists but I am scared to commit because I don’t how to keep my real hair moisturized in them, and I’m scared of what will happen to my edges/nape. I’ve never worn extensions before, but I have always been attracted to this hairstyle.

Tonya NewNaturalista

One of the actresses in Jumping The Broom had them!

Ak
Ak

I’m putting some in this weekend actually (though mine will only reach to my lower back).

I think as long as you make sure you have enough hair parted to carry the weight of each braid, the edges should be fine.

g donya
g donya

I hope they comeback. Its time for a change, new trend. I’m so sick of looking at microbraided heads.

Denise
Denise

Currently wearing these braids!! Mine aren’t quite that long, they stop about a couple inches below APL. Love them! Giving me a much needed break from my hair. The only problem I’m having with them is the somewhat heavy weight of them, and putting them in a bun for workouts.

Stephanie
Stephanie

I rocked these in the 90’s and I would rock them again! They are cute!

Shay
Shay

I agree that they haven’t left and I’m in florida..I would def rock then but I really have a incredible hate for weave…I don’t know what it is but I’ve never had tracks and only have had braids a handful of times in my 30 years…But Solange looks fierce and if you can rock it then do you!! 🙂

Stephanie
Stephanie

Last Saturday, I went to the beauty salon and got long box braids. It’s my first time getting this hairstyle done on my hair and also my first time adding hair extensions. And the result is perfect. The lady who did my hair accomplished an excellent and clean job. I’m happy with this hairstyle because it protects my hair from everyday manipulation and it’s versatile. I rock it up in a ponytail or a bun, or down (all down or half up and half down). I will try to keep it for 8 weeks max and until I take them off I… Read more »

Kesha
Kesha

In Jumping the Broom, Tasha Smith’s character wore braids, but they were not the fat ones I associate with Janet’s hair in Poetic Justice. Her’s were thinner and sleeker. Solagne looks okay, but as for me, leave the BIG BOX braids in the 90’s. No thanks.

Bianca Chene
Bianca Chene

I love the look of box braids! In Chicago, everyone is rocking kinky twists. The look is something different.

Does anyone know of any YT tutorials on do your own box braids? I know of a few Youtubers that have braided their hair themselves but never posted a tutorial. I’ll rather braid my own hair than pay someone $200-$300.

1Nikki
1Nikki

Early last year I had told my friend I wanted some b/c I had seen old pics of Fergie (yes the white girl ferg inspired me lol) and I was like I’m gonna bring bk the Poetic Justice braids, but I never went and got them & then I saw Solange with em and I was like oh well b/c I didn’t want ppl to think I was jocking her style. I didn’t like how long hers were, but I loved when Brandy rocked em. I definitely wouldn’t mind getting some I think they look a lot better & more neater… Read more »

Pretdva
Pretdva

ms.prince
ms.prince
Reply to  Pretdva

HALE no! small — mediam box braids are one thing, but i DO NOT think the ‘justices’ are cute. maybe mix it up with some senegalese twists, or something. those i can work with.

Ash
Ash

I love, love, love these braids. Length and all! I want some! But do you ladies think they will break off my hair (because they look heavy)??? My hair is almost waist length and I don’t want to disrupt my growth… That you think?

Brandi
Brandi
Reply to  Ash

i think it depends onhe strength of ur hair and how much manipulation and stress you put on it. for example wen i had my senegales twist i kept pullin them back into tight ponytails and eventually my edges fell out… smh grrr but if they were worn out and taken care of i prob couldve prevented that
P.S my hair was VERY dry and unhealthy

Pam
Pam

Ive been wearing box braids all year for 4–5 months (gasp!) at a time with 1 month gaps in between and my hair is growing like a weed! I only get them bsl tho, solange’s length must take forever to do lol if you can find a really good braider there’s minimal breakage (:

honeybrown1976
honeybrown1976

I left them behind in the nineties. But, if someone else wants to wear them, fine.

Ameerah Pearman

wayyyyy to heavy for my hair. And the synthetic hair broke my natural curls off in clumps. I got BSL box braids last year and it was the worst thing I could have done. My head hurts just thinking about how heavy those waist length braids are.

Sugamama
Sugamama

this is my biggest fear. u can’t moisturize with synthetic hair right? my real hair falls a little below bra strap so I really don’t have much flexibility in the length of my future braids/twists. I really want the senegalese twists, but I read that synthetic hair had to be used to get the look I want 🙁

sorry about your hair, how did you recover from the setback? Sorry if I’m being a pain, I take risk management very seriously lol.

Ameerah Pearman
Reply to  Sugamama

thankfully, my type 4 twa was very dense and thick so it wasn’t noticeable. I noticed it and I SCREAMED as my hair was falling out in the shower. I only had them in for a little over a month and my gut kept screaming at me to get them out. I finally did and boy am I glad I did. My scalp was sore for over a month afterward and for the first week my hair shed in clumps. I can do human hair micros (as long as they are not too tight) but I can’t do synthetic. Since… Read more »

Bethany

These are KA-UTE!! What type of braids are these??

binks
binks

I agree with that they never really left. I think they are super cute but just make sure your hair can handle and make sure you prep it before you get them.

lola
lola

I generally don’t like extensions wether they are braids or else but Solange’s are cute and the look is very summery and carefree 🙂

Livy
Livy

Poetic Justice braids are gorgeous. Synthetic hair makes me break out bad and it makes me itch no matter how long I soak it in acv remedies. Im rockin yarn braids, that’s pretty much my summer go to style.

gigster
gigster

YES!!! I want this hairstyle! I’ve wanted it for a while now. My latest concern though is how will this style work at work, where my hair has to be put away AND how heavy they might be in a pony tail =/

SA
SA

I personally wouldn’t rock them that big since they can put extra stress on the edges which could lead to breakage. I prefer box-braids that are about the size of a #2 pencil and I wear them long around hip-length any shorter than that I would be a bit paranoid since my real hair is grazing my natural waist. I think it’s better to learn how to self-install braids than to let someone take a risk at jacking up your hair. It’s pretty easy to do, it just takes practice and patience.

Erika
Erika

im from delaware so everyone from delaware/philly has been doing this for the past 5 or more years!! its kinda lovely to see it catching on, however, that is just too much for me, i’ve been smacked by them way too many times!! lol

Ameerah Pearman
Reply to  Erika

I’m from Delaware too! I guess I don’t get out enough cause I never see the big ones

NaturalBizzyB
NaturalBizzyB

I did Senegalese for March & April 2011. I did my big chop 5/1/11. Im rockin a TWA right now but as soon as June 1st comes.…Im getting my waist length Senegalese. they made me look so exotic & i was able to moisture my hair from the root. used a spray bottle with aloe & water to moisturize the length of the twist. love it love it love it. this girl Solange is soooo fashion & beauty forward. she really doesn’t get the credit she deserves. love me some Sola!!!

cgw
cgw

I LOVE these braids! I want them myself but I don’t want to fork out the money! I’m considering doing them myself but it would take forever!

foxyr
foxyr

I like the look, but it’s not for me! I wore braids all the time when I was a young girl, so I’m over the look. I don’t think I would rock the look now that I’m an adult woman. But, for the ladies who love the look–go for it!

Ricquel

YES YES YES…ladies let bring em.
I already have.
I had so many compliments on mine
Perfect summer protective style
[img]http://bglhonline.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/224687_10150556584910214_797900213_18295953_1339126_n.jpg[/img]

ForcedSimile
ForcedSimile

I never stopped liking these sort of braids. My hair can’t handle the synthetic stuff, but I’m glad they’re back. 🙂

I’m toying around with the idea of yarn braids. I’m doing my research, but does anybody know a good tutorial or video, something that will really convince me to try them?

Integrated Memoirs

She was the reason why I wore my hair like that earlier this year, and I loved it!! I received so many positive comments, and it gave my hair a chance to rest.

karmen

I had them like 2–3 months ago. Here’s a video.
httpv://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RLZvANVsPo

Bethany

I am soooo glad to see these posts! I usually ROCK micros but Im soo over them now! When I first saw the previws on Jumping the Broom,I fell head OVER heels for Tasha Smith’s hair!!! I made my appointment today for next friday! Yes,like the rest of you DIVAS,I want them down my back*sittin on em* Giggles

jess
jess

MIne are down to my calves and micro braids.… only basic clean and light moisturizing needed and a good sense of self.… I have a love affair with braids and my hair is not broken on ends or edges.…not for the faint of heart they are heavy if you are not use to heavy hair

Classychassis
Classychassis

I had these last month! Just.so.fabulous. Theyre just really sexy, and if youre like me and have to go back to a twa afterward, you feel like you got a little lenth fix!

sese

i’m 16 and going natural n i’m currently wearing long box braids n i like it a lot b/c i don’t have to do anything to my hair for a while. I think they’re pretty cool n u should definitely wear them if they fit you.

kapsels lang haar

Excellent items from you, man. I’ve be mindful your stuff previous to and you are just too fantastic. I actually like what you’ve acquired right here, really like what you are stating and the way in which you say it. You are making it entertaining and you still take care of to stay it smart. I cant wait to read far more from you. That is really a wonderful web site.

Simone
Simone

I don’t know about those long braids.…I am from the Caribbean and they would be too long and heavy for the climate, but they are nice. I am rocking braids right now, but they are in cornrows as you can see.
Braids will never go out of style…certainly not where I am from.