Heat Caps: A necessity? Or doing the most?

Avatar • May 9, 2011

Reader Gail says;

So I bought this piece of garbage heat cap from Sally’s online… “Note to self — read Amazon.com reviews first”

FAIL = http://amzn.com/B002D4IBFM

I’m so angry that I waited too long to return it, thinking that maybe it just needed to be used a couple of times. Plus I was desperate and it was the dead of winter so my hair was screaming for a deep condition. It doesn’t work worth a hill of beans. Like literally, my body heat under a blanket is hotter than this stupid cap.

I’m looking to find out if any of the BGLH readers are happy with the heat cap they use — what brand is it. If you can send me a link to it online even better. Thanks 🙂

Lol! Ladies what are your thoughts? Are heat caps still a part of your regimen?

Numi Knight
Numi Knight

I didn’t even know people still cared about these. I just use a re-useable shower cap three times a week in the shower. the 10–60 min that I spend with the steam are just as effective. I have shorter hair so I just air dry while I’m getting ready but I believe keeping it simple should be a mantra for natural hair maintenance.

fran
fran

i use the con-air soft bonnet attachment… it was only $9 at sallly’s. as long as you keep your hair dryer on the low setting (as they recommend), it stays nice and warm without burning your ears 🙂 it also fits around rollers when i’ve attempted a roller set.

nubia

Yes I still use my heating cap weekly for my deep condish. I actually use the same brand that is hightlighted in the pic. At first I thought mines was a mishap as well since I was used to the heat from the hood dryer and the extreme steam from the steamer. But once placed on the head for about 15–20 minutes you will feel the warmth. It isnt extreme heat and it is more heat then a simple shower cap. So I still give Gold’s the thumbs up~

Giovanna
Giovanna
Reply to  nubia

I have this one http://www.glamourbeautycenter.com/tools/gold-n-hot-conditioning-heat-cap-gh5010 …it’s white inside and has different detailing but works great. My aunt gave it to me and at first I was skeptical since I heard all of the bad reviews, but mine works great and I realized that although its the same company, it’s a different model from the one that gets bad reviews.

Tawana
Tawana

I was using the thermal heat cap a while back, but since buying my steamer last year haven’t used a heat cap since. I steam everytime I wash my haire a week), and to me it’s worth it to help my hair stay hydrated

NoelleArtemis
NoelleArtemis

This is the heat cap that I bought: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002NGMENA

I really like mine. I always have it on the low setting and it dries in a respectable time. I also use it for my deep conditions. It doesn’t take up too much space and it’s fairly quiet. I can usually watch TV while I have this cap on. I hope this helps!

Onebydesign
Onebydesign

Like Numi I used to just use a throw away plastic shower cap & body heat but since I bought my huetiful steamer last December that is all I use and like Tawana I steam every time I wash my hair which is once a week and it has made all the difference in the world; 20 min and I am done and my hair is sooo soft it’s ridiculous :o)

Dasia

I have a hard top dryer and out of the 4 years I’ve had it, I only used it about maybe 5 times. I prefer to use my self heating cap or a plastic cap, much easier.

Monica
Monica

I love my Gold and Hot heating cap. Not only does it work, but it’s also portable. Seriously, I can throw that heating cap, my favorite conditioner, my tangle teezer, a rat tail comb for parts, some bobby pins and my international converter adapter in my carry on and go anywhere in the world for months and not have hair concerns.

I can’t say that about my bonnet dryer.

Chitown Chica
Chitown Chica
Reply to  Monica

+1 I love that it has different settings. It’s definitely helped activate my deep conditioners and get my hair nice and soft!

MalybooBarbee

I LOVE MY HEATING CAP! unfortunately I cant tell you the brand right now b/c Im at work but my mom used it on my hair when I was a kid and it still works!! (Im 21 btw) lol

gs
gs
Reply to  MalybooBarbee

Oh god please tell me which one it is. If its the one my mom had, that’s the one i’m looking for. The one my mom had was blue with like a cotton/plastic white inside. Got hot as all get out and made my hair super soft.

Ashley
Ashley
Reply to  gs

Yeah I am 22 and I use the one my mom had back in the day. I went up to school and tried to buy another one i.e the Gold n Hot and it was CRAP #fail #fail #fail

so now I will either use this 20+ year old one (that works great) or the huetiful which I plan to get. Mine is also blue on the outside, white on the inside..but the name scratched off unfortunately

gs
gs
Reply to  Ashley

Does no one know the name of the old blue and white heating caps? Is it a Mastex or some other brand? Somebody please help! 🙂

Giovanna
Giovanna
Reply to  gs

lol!!! That’s the one my mom had too and I always hated it as a kid!! But I’m 25 now and that heating cap has been long gone R.I.P 🙁

Cristina
Cristina

WELL!.….I just put on a shower cap and throw on a winter hat warmed in the dryer. That way it wont take as long for the body heat to start warming your hair. I don’t think you really need a heating cap. Body heat actually get quite warm! 🙂

Jo Somebody
Jo Somebody
Reply to  Cristina

Such a good idea! I planned to just plonk a hot-water bottle wrapped in a towel on my head. Hehe!

Leah
Leah

LoL @ the title of this post.

OneNaturalHoney
OneNaturalHoney

Cristina.…I’m stealing that idea!

Misha J
Misha J

I also bought that cap last year and I also made a video about it on yt about how terrible it was…like she said it did not get hot at all but now i use this one called mastex and it gets really warm…definitely better than that other one i definitely returned that in a hot second heres my video.…
httpv://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2NkF0wf9eyU

Aisha
Aisha

Wow… I LOVE my heat cap. I have a Hairtherapywrap heat cap that you warm in the microwave. I use it at least once a week for 30min-1hour at a time. There are no cords, so I can move around the house and get other things done while it goes to town on my hair. I have seen a DRASTIC difference the suppleness and moisture retention in my hair in the 2 months that I’ve been using it.

Natalie
Natalie

I have a Hair Therapy Wrap as well, it is very convenient to use and I even take it on holiday with me, providing I know I’ll have access to a microwave.

I also steam my hair at my local gym, I don’t know if a sauna is safe so I only use the steam room.

chaoticbliss
chaoticbliss

i have this exact heatcap and i actually like it. I usually turn it on while im in the shower to give it some time to get hot. It is definitely hotter than a regular shower cap and i like to leave it on while i study at my desk. I’ve never tried another cap so perhaps in comparison it isn’t all that great but i haven’t found any faults with it.

Le
Le

The blue and white cap is thermal spa.

Thermal Hair Care

If you don’t enjoy being stuck in one place when performing deep conditioning treatments have a look at our cordless heat cap called Hot Head. It comes in a variety of patterns and is reversible.
[img]https://bglh-marketplace.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/IMG_3406.JPG[/img]

Waimeawahine
Waimeawahine

I have started using this every week and it has done wonders for my hair. I always use the low setting. It isn’t necessary to use excessive heat since that kind of heat is damaging to hair which defeats the purpose of a heat treatment. 15–20 minutes is all it takes and I can do something else while deep condition my hair. The night before, I put a lot of coconut oil in, dry finger detangle while I read or watch a film and lather on the DC in the AM. I find this method works well and saves me… Read more »