Adaku // Natural Hair Style Icon

Avatar • May 9, 2011

Where do you live?
A:
I live in Maryland. I am Nigerian and I’m currently pursuing my masters in Electrical Engineering.

Why did you go natural?
A:
Well I always thought afro-kinky-coily-curly-textured hair was beautiful but only realistically attainable and manageable with wigs and weaves. It just had a certain glory to it and demanded attention. I didn’t have the slightest clue that I could grow this gloriousness from my scalp until I began to see a few girls rocking theirs naturally and effortlessly. And then the relaxer thing, I was also one of those girls who would tell the hair stylist to leave it in a little longer, so it could burn a little longer because I knew it will be laying real flat and nice by the time the chemical reaction was over. It was all I knew.

But then I got tired of spending the whole day in the salon, the burns, the money spent, the itchy dandruff ridden scalp and all that grease, only to have to re-do the marathon in a months time. After one relaxer session I told myself it would be my last. I was so excited about my new decision, I told everyone who would listen, “Hey I’m going natural. Yay me.” Unfortunately I was met with a lot of resistance. It was like “What for, why do you want to cut off all that long hur”, lol. I am glad I did it and wished I had done it sooner

When and how did you transition into natural hair?
A:
My last relaxer was in March 2009. I transitioned for about seven months. The whole time I was transitioning, I’d wear my hair in straw sets. I re-did them every two weeks. I couldn’t take the two textures because my hair was getting so tangled so I chopped it all off.

In what ways (if any) has going natural affected you?
A:
For one, I have become so conversant with my hair like never before. I and my hair see eye to eye, we know each other real well, lol. The thought of someone else styling my hair makes me cringe. For two years, we have fought, cursed each other out and loved each other.

On a serious note, I definitely became aware of the societal negative tagged on anything “black”. It is so subtle sometimes that it is so normal. You start wearing your hair just like most human beings on earth, but it’s a different experience; an automatic baggage is placed on you that you have to consciously unhook in order to move unimpeded. And even when your hair is finally shining and no one can deny, they want to attribute its glory to some otherness, as if it’s just impossible for it to have that much swag by itself. I am rambling here but I think the point is my aesthetics have been reinforced.

I remember when people would ask my mum what was going on with her daughter’s hair. She would reply the nigerian way, “Mai dear, leave it oh. She wants everyone to know that she is African.” I’m like, “Mummy, it’s not about being African, it’s about embracing my humanness and I think that should be respected.” She’ll reply “Go and do something to you hair”, lol. My mum is coming around and so are a lot of unbelievers thanks to avenues like BGLH and you and I.

How would you describe your hair?
A:
My hair is very coily. I have like a million, well-defined, tight, tiny-in-diameter coils. Very fine in the back and coarse at the front. The middle of my hair? Oh gawsh, I don’t want to talk about it because it’s currently on timeout. My shrinkage is gangster, you wouldn’t believe it. I doubt anyone on here has shrinkage that rivals mine, lol. It drinks water like a desert: very porous.

What’s your regimen?
A:
Wash, condition and moisturize. I use apple cider vinegar soap or black soap to wash my hair. I’m a whore when it comes to conditioners, I’ve never been able to stick to one. Darcy’s Botanical Coils Curling Jelly is my gel of choice. I either use Shea butter or Qhemet’s Olive Heavy Cream to seal and moisturize. I moisturize according to how my hair feels. I try to not let two weeks pass before I wash my hair. Bentonite clay comes in handy for the occasional deep cleansing. Twists are not a good look for my hair because it tangles it up but for whatever reason, flat twist and braid outs work better. I do a lot of banding for my “wash and go’s” to help stretch. Can I say I love the tangle teezer. Detangling never looked so good

What mistakes have you made with your hair that you’ve learned from?
A:
Just doing too much.

What’s the best/most effective thing you do for your hair?
A:
I won’t say there is one particular effective thing I do. It is a matter of consistency in my regimen and just letting my hair be, avoiding excessive finger-in-hair-play, keeping it moisturized and styling in updos and buns that require little manipulation.

Is there a blog/webpage where we can find you?
A:
Yes!! I love to disturb my neighbors at night: http://www.youtube.com/user/MuzikizOxygen

Masuka M.

Your hair is lovely. It’s great to see an African woman with such great hair. Many people where I live (Zambia), think that someone with really long hair must have some mixed race ancestor somewhere not too far down the line or be an African American. Lol. I can’t wait for the day my hair is that long. I am very confident that I will get there, thanks to sites like BGLH.

df
df

GORGEOUS GORGEOUS HAIR!!!!

Leslie@ The tale of going natural

Her hair is BEAUTIFUL! love it!

Ameerah Pearman

Well I always thought afro-kinky-coily-curly-textured hair was beautiful but only realistically attainable and manageable with wigs and weaves. It just had a certain glory to it and demanded attention.”

I believe that’s the perfect way to describe my type 4 hair: It has a certain glory to it and demands attention. I love it. That, right there, inspires me to put more focus on the care of my hair.

Lola
Lola

Beautiful hair Adaku. You have grown so much hair in 2 years! My hair is very similar to yours in texture and type.

I have no doubt in my mind that we’ve met once but can’t figure where. Take care dear.

kindredb

She is fabulous and I am enamored with her hair.

Mabel
Mabel

Yay Adaku! I hope you convinced Nneka to stay natural seeing that you’re hair journey has been a joy to view!!!!
HHG!

yemi
yemi

love the hair and your videos

Sugabelly

Yay, another Nigerian! And an Igbo one too!! ^_^ Her hair is GORGEOUS!

bullfree
bullfree
Reply to  Sugabelly

she is not igbo…she is from River state..get u facts right

Kalicia
Kalicia
Reply to  bullfree

simmer down

Anonymous
Anonymous
Reply to  Kalicia

2nd on simmer down, respect this site!

Sugabelly
Reply to  bullfree

A person named ADAKU is IGBO whether they were born in Rivers state or not.

A lot of Igbo people migrated to Rivers state and there are lots of Igbo people intermarried with Ijaw.

You get your facts straight.

I cannot believe you don’t know this.

fellow west african
fellow west african
Reply to  Sugabelly

lol , nigerians !

Home Daycare

I love your hair, and you seem very personable!!!

Kay
Kay

Her and Her hair are gorgeous and her voice OMGGGGGGGGGGGG!!!!! Beautiful Woman

TASHA
TASHA

love her! she is oh so fab! you inspire me!

LifeintheSunshine
LifeintheSunshine

Omg, her hair is glorious!

doc
doc

um- hello gorgeous!
LOVE your style. teach me 🙂

b.
b.

Fabulous hair!!! My hair is very similar to yours. I love what you say about the beauty of your hair; more people need to know!

jeje1718
jeje1718

What a beautiful lady!.… And I LOVE your HAIR. Looks really thick and healthy. 🙂 and might I add that your style is AWESOME!
Thx for reppn black female engineers.I’m a sophomore studying chemical engineering. 😀

Jc
Jc

I’ll cut to the chase, your voice is really amazing!! Really sweet and unique tone.

anastasia
anastasia

I echo all previous comments: you, your hair, and spirit is simply divine!

MP
MP

Such lovely hair and fabulous style in general, bravo!

Sue
Sue

I enjoyed your singing! And you have lovely hair as well

Leena
Leena

So happy to see an african with amazing hair — who attributes her hair greatness to being african!

Eniola H
Eniola H

One day you’re messaging me to ask how to go natural, the next day you have a mane bigger than Texas!

You know I love your hair! You’re such an inspiration. x

Adaku
Adaku

Thanks a lot guys. I appreciate all your kind words and compliments *blushes*

Twan
Reply to  Adaku

Adaku i am soo in awe of the length & condition of your hair considering the timeframe it has been since you BC.…. I LOVE IT…A BLACK WOMAN THAT ROCKS!!!!!!!!!!!111

AfroStyling

Adaku! Nice to see you on here. And your hair has grown. Keep it up.

layray
layray

Your hair is simply beautiful and it looks so healthy! Rep Naija!!

Efuru
Efuru

Igbo Kwenu!
Your hair is gorgeous! Lol @ your mum’s comment *can totally relate*

Efe
Efe

Naija represent! i totally heard my moms voice
while reading that quote lol. My texture is the
same as yours,i cant wait til mine is as big =]

mangomadness
mangomadness

It’s nice to see a Nigerian BGLH style icon. My Mom made a similar comment when I went natural but its warming up to it well now–she even has a fav hairstyle. Haha Anyways…I love your hair, fashion sense and musical talent. Good luck in grad school!

mtko
mtko

hahaha! i love it! honey i hail from the motherland too! and my shrinkage is gangsta too! our texture’s the same which is awesome@ best of luck to you!

Abii
Abii

What a beautiful Nigerian sister!!!!!! Your hair is stunning! My Mom was exactly the same way when I first decided to go natural and now she’s my biggest supporter. I straightened it for the first time in 15 months since going natural and she was like “eh, it looks boring, not you at all!” I completely agree with you — I’ve become so attuned to my hair that I can’t imagine someone doing my hair now. Just that one straightening experience made me realise I would need to learn to straighten myself if I ever do it again, because no-one can… Read more »

Cherchez la Curl

Wow, your hair is amazing! And the speed at which it has grown. Wow! You have totally embraced the volume 🙂 I love seeing more and more Nigerians go natural, especially considering Nigerian (Lagos/Abuja) women are probably amongst the top consumers of human hair weaves…globally.

Dominique
Dominique

I definitely have this type of hair and shrinkage lol. People never believe I have a lot of hair because I have a very small tightly coiled afro. Usually, they think I’m growing mini dreads ha ha! Here is a photo of my hair with conditioner on it and it looks exactly like that when dry. My hair is pass my collar bone.

Dominique
Dominique

Here is the photo.

ksla
ksla

AWWW… my hair guru… This is the person that encouraged me to become more personal with my hair and to be patient with it. There was a time when I just got tired and wanted to relax it, but she, cleverly, sat me down at her desk, and encouraged me with some good basic hair chemistry. That is what I admire about her most„„ she does her reading and research ( comes with her profession!!). And now, she has the results she was craving, and thanks to her, and other blogs like these, I am getting the look that I… Read more »

Bokani
Bokani

Your hair is beautiful Adaku. i just luv it. i dont do well with braiding and relaxers cos my hair is too soft. so i guess i have to learn from you. enjoyed your video

Lavy

Gorgeous hair! Adaku, I feel you on the skrinkage.

Lavy
Reply to  Lavy

*shrinkage

Anonymous
Anonymous

One of the most enjoyable interviews ever.

CollegeCurl13
CollegeCurl13

amazing hair. amazing voice.

Patricia Kayden
Patricia Kayden

Love the length and texture — looks just like my hair so there’s hope for me yet!!

Juicy
Juicy

Your so beautiful I love Nigerian women usually have so much self respect and natural beauty

BrooklynCoily
BrooklynCoily

She’s beautiful.

Niki
Niki

[img]http://bglhonline.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/PAPAYA GIRL.jpg[/img]

Adaku’s hair is fabulous! (place drool here):)

sidenote: saw this model on the website for Papaya clothing (http://www.papayaclothing.com/shop/goods_detail_v1.php?goodsIdx=12103)- how cute is she!

foxyr
foxyr

Wow! What a beautiful lady! BTW, you sing like an angel, girl! I loved that they way you sung that Bruno Mars song.

foxyr
foxyr
Reply to  foxyr

I meant to say: “I love they way you sung that Bruno Mars song!”

kim
kim

love her hair

LolasCurls

This is great seeing another Nigerian with natural hair.
I’m still transitioning: 18.5 months post!

Lalala
Lalala

Gorgeous, beautiful, inspiring. Fabulous interview. You go gurrrl.

Ogor
Ogor

Omg I can TOTALLY relate to everything you said here…and my hair type’s just like yours…so there’s hope for me yet(im just two months natural)
Someone told me‑a fellow black sister, that my hair’s ugly natural…and that it would never be as long as my initial relaxed hair. I smiled..and told her to give me a couple of years..:) I love my natural hair, short, coily curls and loose curls, in all of its unruly glory, and no one can take that away from me 🙂
Keep up the good work 🙂

Nic
Nic

I definitely became aware of the societal negative tagged on anything “black”. It is so subtle sometimes that it is so normal. You start wearing your hair just like most human beings on earth, but it’s a different experience; an automatic baggage is placed on you that you have to consciously unhook in order to move unimpeded. And even when your hair is finally shining and no one can deny, they want to attribute its glory to some otherness, as if it’s just impossible for it to have that much swag by itself. ”

One of the most powerful statements. Love this!

Nelly
Nelly

Even now dat you have stopped relaxing your hair it is still longer than mine. This battle has been on for long. Anyway you know I love your hair *winks*. Flaunt it dearie.

Nkechi
Nkechi

I think we have the same mom, lol. I really love the feedback you gave, and I think I just found my new hair idol…you are the FIRST person that I’ve seen that cannot rock the two-stranded twists! Me too! OMG I would love to, but that ish breaks my hair off like mad! I’m wearing it right now, and every 30 minutes, I’m rewetting it cuz I don’t want it to start breaking, lol. I *must* look into your regimen–I refuse to go another year gaining only 0.75 inches of growth!

Alyssa
Alyssa

Oh…you’ve given me such hope! I’m Nigerian as well and my hair is the exact same as yours, the exact same! I was so depressed because I can’t find any other natural women with a similar hair type (they usually have much looser curls and therefore much longer hair with less shrinkage), so their hair styles and regimen worked nicely on them, but I knew it just wouldn’t go on me. But seeing you with something that works and with actually pretty long and lovely here has given me a lot of hope. I was even considering just abandoning this… Read more »

Ty
Ty

Your beautiful!

KinkyRoots
KinkyRoots

Sister you’re are FAB, not only is your fro-&-style fierce your pursuit of higher education in the field you’ve chosen speaks volumes! Roc on Sister, Roc on!!!