How long does it take you to detangle?

Avatar • Jan 12, 2011

Reader Tiffany (not pictured) says;

I was recently watching a YouTube video where the presenter said she takes 4 hours to detangle her hair. Granted she has very long (mid-back-length) hair but it kind of worried me. I have medium length hair (about 8 inches) and it takes me 15 minutes tops to detangle. I typically apply Herbal Essences Hello Hydration to wet hair, let it soak, and then remove the shed hairs. But I have to admit that I do end up yanking a few knots apart. And even ignoring locked strands because I can’t be bothered with them. I’m starting to feel that I might not be doing this right, and possibly losing out on length because of breakage.

So I guess I wanted to know; How long does it take for your readers to detangle their hair. If they could mention their hair length & texture, and the process they undergo that would be great!

Great question Tiffany! So, ladies, what have your experiences been? Please also mention how frequently you detangle (once a week, once every few days, etc).

Destiny
Destiny

It take me 4EVER to detangle. I need tips on how to speed it up. Ihate rushing cause I do feel like I’m yanking/breaking my hair. I have 8 inches of 4b/c hair. I tried detangling w/ slippery conditioner under running water but that just washes out all the conditioner and defeats the purpose. Any tips?

sarah
Reply to  Destiny

what i do is i let the water “activate” the detangling conditioner i’m using. i load up on the condish then run my head under the water for about 2 seconds. the conditioner is still in my hair but it feels different, more slippery than just creamy. you hair should almost feel like seaweed. but don’t wash the conditioner out by standing under the stream… then you have nothing on your strands to help the comb glide through your hair. hope that helps.

Djohnson
Djohnson
Reply to  sarah

Thanks! Thant makes so much more sense.

Angela lopes
Reply to  sarah

OMG THANK SO MUCH
it makes more sense now.

sarah

i’m with you… i have about 10 inches of hair and it takes me 20 minutes to detangle wet or dry. on bad days, it takes me 45 minutes, but i don’t think i ever want to see the day it takes me 4 hours to detangle; it might force me to reevaluate some things.

summer-daze
summer-daze

Hmmm…
Well, if I’m just detangling, it takes about 30/45 minutes but that’s bc I’m also applying my leave-in & moisturizer. I rub it & massage it through & finger-detangle so that takes awhile. My hair is a few inches above APL in the back, if you want a length comparison.

Shones

Detangling frequency: 2 to 4x/month
Length and texture: about 8 inches long and thick; 3c/4a; very porous; mostly fine
Process: load up with slippery conditioner in the shower (e.g. Herbal Essences, Trader Joe’s), four sections of hair, work with a plain Goody wide-tooth comb starting from the ends and working toward the roots.

I don’t worry much about breakage/shed hair. I know it’s getting longer, and I’m not in a rush for length to happen quickly. I focus on keeping it healthy and supple. I wear my hair in protective styles (twists, updos) most of the time.

vonnie

i detangle once a week and have slowed down on quickly ripping through my hair like I used to do and now take my time (about an hour) to detangle instead. i know exactly which video you mean because it’s the same one that made me slow down 🙂 It doesn’t take 4 hours, but i did notice much less hair coming out by taking my time.

vonnie

ack
ack
Reply to  vonnie

which video is it? i’d love to see it, if you can remember the link.

vonnie
Reply to  ack

at like 3:55 in or so: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjnTuVyZKGI kimmaytube’s big hair video

ack
ack
Reply to  vonnie

thanks!

shawn
shawn
Reply to  vonnie

I heart Kimmaytube

Alana
Alana

4a in between collarbone and apl- it takes me less than a half hour to detangle.
I think it’s important not to let it tangle in the shampoo process. So I wash in 4 plaits and take them down to condition and detangle.

quoththeraven
Reply to  Alana

Don’t let it tangle” is the mantra my hair lives by. It’s so important!

babycoily
babycoily
Reply to  quoththeraven

Yep. Sectioning it in fours is a lifesaver (sometimes 6 on a week where I continuously wore my hair out). My hair is also in between collarbone and apl. takes me maybe 30 mins to shampoo condition and detangle.

MommieDearest
MommieDearest
Reply to  Alana

Learning to wash my hair in sections literally changed my life. Before I started washing my hair in 4 big twists, detangling my hair was a NIGHTMARE. Now it takes me about 20–30 minutes to thoroughly detangle and moisturize my hair.

anonda
anonda
Reply to  Alana

Exactly Alana! My hair is arm pit length stretched and I don’t have massive amount of tangles.I comb through on dry hair with my fingers before I wash 1X a week. Finding styles that keep hair from tangling is key I think. I found that twists left in longer than a couple of days did cause my hair to mat and tangle so now I just don’t wear them that long (3–5 days only). Out styles, buns, and updos seem to keep tangles out. I couldn’t imagine spending 4–5 hours working through one head of hair. That would definitely call… Read more »

AnonyChick
AnonyChick

My hair is very kinky, about the texture of this girl’s hair: http://img220.imageshack.us/i/sanstitre3932ay.png/sr=1

It’s mid-back when stretched, but usually above my neck due to intense shrinkage. I detangle as needed and it usually takes about 2–3 hours.

Amanda

i’m wondering if thickness plays a part in this. take my sister and me for example. when we both had relaxers, her hair was always thicker and longer than mine. i had that thin scraggly kind of straight hair. now that we’re both natural, i find that it take me no time to detangle and it takes her a significant amount of time despite her hair being shorter than mine. our textures are not all that different but when it comes to thickness and fullness in hair, she takes the cake.

quoththeraven

4a, 13 in, 20–35 min
as soon as i step out of the shower i apply leave-in, detangle with a denman, and braid section for braid-out

quoththeraven

i forgot to mention that i have a spray bottle for when my hair gets to the point when it’s not sopping wet and it’s not pliable enough.

Keisha
Keisha

Im full shoulder length… about an inch/inch and a half, away from apl. I detangle my hair in the shower in 4 sections. I stand under the shower head with the water on the highest pressure possible. 1st I fingle detangle each section then I use my denman brush to remove any shed hairs my fingers didn’t pick up. Next I apply conditioner to each section, shower, then rinse the conditioner out and detangle 1 last time. I think the entire process including showering takes 20 to 30 minutes and it looks that I have the normal amount of shed hair… Read more »

Latoya

I’m still growing in TWA so it doesn’t take me that long to detangle. (I use the aformentioned methods.) But as my hair grows longer, it takes longer to detangle since I have thick/course hair. I plan on using Bentonite Clay to aid in the process. Does anyone use Bentonite, henna, cassia, or oil/vinegar to make their hair easier to detangle? If so, how much does it cut down on your detangling?

T.
T.
Reply to  Latoya

I’ve tried rhassoul clay conditioning treatments and they definitely made my hair easier to detangle. I think bentonite would probably have the same effect. Neutral henna made it easier as well, but not as much as the rhassoul clay. That stuff was amazing!

babycoily
babycoily
Reply to  Latoya

I use bentonite occasionally for clarifying. My tangles melt away after I rinse it out. I LOOOOVE the stuff. Unfortunately it may take a couple of rinses to get it out and it’s crucial not to leave any in there ( or else the hair gets crunchy when dry :(. Prepooing with a mix of oils and coconut milk also melts my tangles away. Have you given that a try?

Rachel

I have 4a hair on the sides and front and 4b hair pretty much every where else…it takes me about 20 minutes to detangle about 6–7 inches of hair. I section and clip my hair in about 8–9 sections and just keep my hair wet (not dripping) and detangle with my leave-in (Yes To Cucumbers) with a wide-tooth comb 😉 After I detangle a section, I twist and clip it and move onto the next section. I’m generally very careful and dont detangle if I’m frustrated or emotional..I can always rewet my hair later *kanye shrug* Sectioning has been the… Read more »

Laura
Laura

I oil rinse and I don’t let it tangle (=I moisturize everyday with conditioner, I seal and I always air dry in braids). No more detangling sessions for me.

Oil rinsing changed my life and it is the reason why I’m still natural.

NtrlGAGrl
NtrlGAGrl
Reply to  Laura

Can you share how you oil rinse? Do you do it before conditioning or after?

Dolores
Dolores
Reply to  NtrlGAGrl

I’m curious as well, particularly about how you keep it from tangling. What is your hair type? My hair can tangle by itself 2 seconds after I detangle it. I tried to finger detangle my hair using oil on dry hair and it took three hours. I normally finger detangle using conditioner in the shower and that takes 1 hour.

Chéri

I Use To Have A Head Full Of Thick Curly Hair Down To My Waist And It Never Took More Than An Hour, I Could Also Detangle In About 20 Minutes But I Never Timed Myself But I Know It Wasn’t Hours Put The Hair In Sections Detangle Gently With A Comb. The Collar Length Hair I Have Now Can Take Anywhere From A Few Minutes To 20 Mins.If I Was Scared I Was Going To Pull My Hair Out I Guess I Would Take 3–4 Hours But I Don’t Live In Fear Of My Hair, LOL You Should Get Faster… Read more »

dajewel
dajewel

this is a great post! it takes me about 4 days to detangle…cuz i have thick hair/roots and it takes me forever to detangle in sections. my hair is an inch or two past my shoulders when unstretched. it is i super coily, kinky/curly and it easily gets tangled. my hair is well lubricated with great conditioning agents that helps to give ‘slip’ and it still takes forever. for me, i would not change it any other way.
[img]http://bglhonline.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/IMG00015-20101211–1106 (1).jpg[/img]

i have attached a photo to give u an idea.

dajewel
dajewel
Reply to  dajewel

oh, i want to say i detangle about once a month (because i usually keep it in twists for a month or so at a time). i wash and dc while my hair is in twists, always. i then untwist and detangle. if my hair is worn loose, i detangle and twist before cleansing and detangle after washing out the dc.

dajewel
dajewel
Reply to  dajewel

oh and i always finger detangle

Jc
Jc
Reply to  dajewel

I also finger detangle only. I have been doing this for about a year now and as time consuming as it is, it is much better for my hair.

Time is not a factor for me either (though it does not take 4 days lol!)

anonda
anonda
Reply to  dajewel

Aww you’re pretty and your hair is beautiful!!!!
Question: Do you think the twists left in so long might cause some tangles?

Whatever you are doing it’s great for length retention!

That’s an interesting conundrum BGLH- what if the methods used for length retention are giving tangle trouble!?

napfrocurlzgirl
Reply to  dajewel

@Dajewel, if your roots are your trouble spot, apply JBCO to your scalp after you’ve twisted or whatever you do on wash day, let your hair air dry and throw on your satin bonnet/scarf at night. In the morning, your roots should be super soft. I apply my JBCO with an applicator bottle.

BigSyd
BigSyd

Is it bad to not detangle?? I usually apply Nature’s Gate (whatever variety) to dry hair and and twist in large chunky twists. I put it up in a plastic bag (hey, broke college student here) and let it sit about 10–15 minutes. Then I run the water and put my head under it rinsing out the twists until the water runs clear. Once the conditioner is completely out I undo the twists and its pretty much detangled. I can run my wide toth comb through it. Oh and I do this once a week on a little bit longer… Read more »

Ashley
Reply to  BigSyd

Combing through your hair like you’re doing is detangling.

I used to think that I wasn’t detangling my hair because I would hear the crazy times people spent doing it and I never spent more than 15 minutes. My sister reminded me that detangling is that process of combing through your hair no matter how little or how much time it takes.

brunettefury
brunettefury

It doesn’t take me too long, maybe 5 minutes for each section, but I think I’m rushing through it or not using the proper tools because I’ve noticed some breakage (although it could be left over breakage from when I was transitioning my hair).

Alice

It depends on how I’ve been wearing my hair and how long I’ve had it in that style. For example, if I’ve been wearing a wash and go for a week, I can be looking at an hour or more of detangling. If I’ve worn a protective style for a week (practically unheard of for me) I can be looking at maybe half and hour.

rw
rw

i saw one video where the girl said it takes her 8 hours to detangle, she was waist length (not stretched) hair. i’m new to this but there is not way that i will accept 8 hours to deal with my hair

sarah
Reply to  rw

does she takes breaks for lunch?? wth?!

mangomadness
mangomadness

Length: Collarbone Length
Texture: 4a/4b
Density: Less dense on sides and nape; more dense at crown
Time: 20–30 minutes
Frquency: Weekly

Process:
‑Section dry, stretched hair into 5 sections.
‑Lightly spritz with water/aloe vera gel/honey mix.
‑Add EVCO or EVCO/EVOO blend to hair.
‑Gently finger comb to remove shed hairs and tangles.

I don’t fuss about getting every shed hair out. I lose hair the size of a bottle cap each time I detangle. Wearing stretched styles and fingercombing are wonderful for my hair.

mangomadness
mangomadness
Reply to  mangomadness

I forgot to add. I do this in front of a mirror.

Kali HHHB

It takes me about 1 hour 30 or 2 hours tops clean & detangle. I do it in the shower. To me it’s not long. My hair is about 2–3 inches past my shoulders when wet. I do it every Saturday. 6 days out of the week it’s low maintenance and takes me no more than 10–20 minutes to do. 4 hours? Maybe in the beginning, when you 1st start training your hair, and take the time to get the knots out and not yank them. I don’t think I’ve ever spent that long, and I thoroughly detangle my extremely… Read more »

Anon
Anon
Reply to  Kali HHHB

training”? That makes our hair seem like a wild animal.

I assume you mean something like this– Detangling gets easier once you find a method that works for you and perfect it.

Dolores
Dolores
Reply to  Anon

lighten up

MzChocolate
MzChocolate
Reply to  Dolores

I concur.

LBell
LBell
Reply to  Anon

Co-signing: “Training” is a dehumanizing word and I only ever hear black people use it as part of describing their hair care. Maybe some of you below think it’s okay to consider your hair something other than “human”…I don’t.

(Hey, BGLH…do you think this might be worthy of a separate post with a poll?)

T.
T.

My hair is somewhere between 10 and 12 inches long. Don’t really know what my hair type would be, but it’s in the 4s. I wear my hair in twists or plaits pretty much all the time and I detangle when I take them down, before I wash. It takes me probably half an hour at the most, once I’ve gotten the twists out. I don’t use a comb, I detangle and smooth with my fingers, which means it takes longer, but it’s much more gentle on my hair, and more enjoyable as well. Before I use to detangle with… Read more »

ineyo
ineyo

I have 4b/4c hair, about 7 to 8 inches, and it takes me about 30 minutes to detangle. I detangle (pre-poo) on dry hair by using my fingers and raking a mixture of VO5 Moisture Milks with EVOO. I section off my hair into about 6 sections, and twist each section before and after I pre-poo. I wash my hair weekly and use a comb maybe once every 2 months. I have no problems with breakage. 4 months ago, it was taking me about 1 hour to detangle my hair, because I was going through with my hands, and looking… Read more »

kim
kim

When I wear small twist and braids for a wk or more and wash my hair in said condition detangling takes 1 — 2hrs. I have APL 4a/b hair. When in larger twists or stretched styles — which I wear for no more than a week, it takes 30 ‑45 mins to detangle. I usually detangle once a week before I shampoo.

Jane Bagley
Jane Bagley

It takes me about 1/2 hour to detangle my hair. My hair is 8 inches long, 4a/4b. I wet my hair with rose water and then apply lots of coconut oil. I then finger comb my hair and detangle with a wide tooth comb. After that I braid it into about 15 plaits. This is done once a week the night before wash day. I also co-wash and DT my hair with the braids in. Once I rinse out the conditioner I take out the braids and my hair is soft and tangle free. This works for me like a charm.

aiden
aiden

I have 4.5 inches of coarse 3c/4a/4b hair. It takes me a good hour/hour and a half. 🙁 I don’t like my shower combs, so I’ve been thinking about switching to a denman.

Ruth

[img]http://bglhonline.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/IMAG0001.JPG[/img] My 4a/b strands run between 13 and 16 inches and it takes me about 2 hours(on a good day) to detangle… but I only do it once every week, so it’s all good. 🙂 [b]Process:[/b] Cleanse (with bentonite clay or some other method). Load up with conditioner. Separate into 4 and start detangling — first, with fingers then with a wide tooth comb or imitation Denman 😀 — one section at a time (this is where the hours roll). Plait each section when done. Rinse with plaits still in (If I release them before my hair is partially dry that would be asking… Read more »

Ruth
Reply to  Ruth

Oh… a ‘good day’ would be when wash day does not come after having worn ‘rope’ twists or wash and gos. That’s it.

Yep. Pretty sure. 🙂

Lissie
Lissie
Reply to  Ruth

Your hair is beautiful Ruth! How many hours did it take you to box braid? I’m almost at APL and it would take approx a day to box braid :(. Lol, maybe I’m not a fast braider? I love that you can keep them in for weeks though :).

Ruth
Reply to  Lissie

Lissie, I didn’t do them myself, my neighbour did… it took approximately 8 hours!

I don’t think I’m going to endure that again any time soon… my derrière was still smarting for days after the event, and the longer the hair grows, the more tiring it is going to be. (My hair is too fine for larger braids… too ‘spacey’)

Sue
Sue

Hair length: Shoulder length kinky-4b I think

Apply conditioner before washing and gently detangle.It takes about an hour. I wash in sections, apply a mix of conditioner, coconut oil and honey and deep condition. Before washing out the mix, I comb through with conditioner,keeping it in sections.

Total time: 2 hours

I then put in large braids to dry and stretch it out overnight. Done!

Angela lopes

takes me about an hour to detangle and i follow Kimmaytube’s method. this helped me retain a massive amount of lenght.
httpv://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1FQ79FD2VY

Lissie
Lissie
Reply to  Angela lopes

Hold on, so she stands in the shower for 4 hours detangling her hair like that?? Lol, I would get so damn cold! My wash days are always at my sink! I’ve tried my little wash day regimen while in the shower before, and with giving TMI, my freezing bum couldn’t stand it, lol! *I know, I’m a wimp :)*

harlemcurls
harlemcurls
Reply to  Lissie

Ditto!

MY skin gets tooo dry. I was in the sink condition and sit. I either comb after having the conditioner in for at least an hr or after washing it out with my blue star comb!

Dee
Dee
Reply to  harlemcurls

I don’t think she spends 4 hours in the shower. She has mentioned in another video that she gets out of the shower and at what point I can’t really remember. You can watch her videos to see the routine and changes to her routine. If she wants to spend 4 hours detangling her hair fine. It does not take me that long, but I also have not had the same results as she has. For me, the proof is in the results. She likes to take her time and be gentle with her hair, I can’t knock it because… Read more »

Kimberly
Kimberly

Ok. I have a confession. I wash/condition/detangle all in the shower in about 30 mins. My length is 5 — 6 inches at this time. My hair is growing at a normal rate since I BC’d back in July 10. I wash/condition/detangle once a week, and I have the same amount of shed hairs each time (about a quater size amount). I just don’t see myself spending more than an hour tops detangling my hair. I would keep it cut short if it takes that much time. When I hear others state they spend 4, 5,.…7 hours detangling, i’m in… Read more »

Kimberly
Kimberly
Reply to  Kimberly

BTW — I wear my hair in wash-n-go styles regularly 🙂

Nefertiti

I tend to detangle (using fingers only, for the last two months or so) while I’m taking out my twists or braids. I do it on dry hair with oil, sometimes with a little conditioner, and it takes me about an hour. I could see it taking two or three times as long, but I don’t concern myself with getting my hair 100% tangle-free, because it would only last about five minutes anyway, no matter what I did. As I finish finger detangling a section, I braid it. I leave the detangled braids in for washing and conditioning. Inevitably, I… Read more »

Lucy
Lucy

My 4a/4b hair ranges from approximately 8″ at the nape (this is the shortest and most delicate secion of my hair) to around 14″ in other sections of my hair and it takes me a minimum of 1 hour in the shower with the Tangle Teezer and Aussie Moist conditioner.

I saw the Kimmaytube (luv her) video as well and I’m going to try to be a lot more gentle (i.e. longer detangling session) with my hair as I’m focused on maximizing my length.

Lissie
Lissie

Cannot believe how quick detangling is for some of you ladies.…*tears*! I think I would classify my hair as “4b”. When wet, my hair looks very similar to BargainClipper on Youtube–meaning it shrinks into a fro and doesn’t hang much. Length: Well, when stretched it’s basically at APL…maybe an inch or so away. Total time: 1.5–2 hours (finger detangling takes a minute!) I agree with Laura, oil rinsing has changed my life as well! I washed my hair two weeks ago without oil rinsing and that ended up being a HUGE disaster (well, all of my twists also unravelled and lazy ole… Read more »

napfrocurlzgirl

Wow, 4 hours to detangle?! That’s crazy! It takes me about 30 minutes to detangle and I’m about 2 inches past the shoulders. On wash day, I section my hair into 6–8 sections, apply dc on each section and loosely braid it. Then I wash my hair while braided. When I’m done, working with a section at a time, I apply KC Knot Today, comb through the hair with my detangling shower comb, moisturize and then twist the section. In all, wash day takes about 1 1/2 hours now.

E

Check out this Fierce haircut after Sweetdark1 on “CN” got her new haircut which looks gorgeous on her. It had me thinking of maybe getting mine cut, and I saw this a couple of minutes ago on Youtube, and I might go with something like this or wait until summertime to rock it. What do you ladies think? It takes me about an 1hr to detangle my hair, though I do mine inthe shower while wasting water. Do you all detangle in the shower or just wash hair in the sink and then detangle while standing in front of the… Read more »

Reply to  E

The video is a different person, not sweetdark1 I forgot to add that part on.

httpv://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mEDswwG5KoE&feature=player_profilepage

Anonda
Anonda
Reply to  E

That is a great look! I love the color and it suits her beautifully. I have one side shaved and I love that it is a time saver and gives my natural some oomph. Would love to see more natural haircuts.

Rain
Rain
Reply to  Anonda

Her hair is bangin’. Its gorgeous!!

iri9109

i have 7 inches (SL stetched) of 3c/4a hair…it takes about 15 minutes to detangle and apply deep conditioner in about 10 sections and twist each section up so it doesnt shrink or tangle while i DC…if i dont section it out or put the twists in it takes 5–10 minutes.…washing, detangling and applying a deep conditioner never takes more than 20–25 minutes. EVER. i ususally detangle 1x a week.

bb
bb

I usually detangle my hair in the shower. By the time I set in the conditioner (Pure Cholesterol Hair Conditioning Cream), my hair is thoroughly wet which makes it a lot easier to detangle. I use a Goody Detangling Comb and I absolutely love it. With it, it takes about an hour to thoroughly wash and detangle.It has also helped me in figuring out the health of my hair as because I can check to see how much hair is in the comb (which lately hasn’t been much :-D) Picture of Comb: [See Below] My hair stretched is 5–6 inches long… Read more »

bb
bb
Reply to  bb

NB: Sorry, I meant “Conair Detangling Comb” LOL and also I wanted to add, when detangling I separate my hair into about 5 sections. (side sections of the head, front and back sections, and a section in the middle of my head (where men start to bald when they’re older :-)). This makes it a lot easier to comb as I can adjust to a section’s hair texture.

bb
bb

Thanks!!

mixed beans
mixed beans

i detangle in the shower, and it takes me 5 minutes (10 max when hair is quite tangled)
i wash 2 to 3 times a week, condition, DC and then detangle with wide tooth comb or tangle teezer (love it!).
Hair is 9 inches, fine to medium strand thickness, 3c/4a curl pattern, fine to medium density, normal porosity.

Jessica
Jessica

Takes me about 45mins to an hour to detangle (which I do weekly). I’m currently transitioning and I have about 4–5 inches of NG and then the rest is relaxed hair which is APL. I take my time cause I don’t want breakage at the line of demarcation. I actually detangle after I shampoo or co-wash. I blot my hair dry and make 4 big sections. Then I apply my leave-in and Mane and Tail Detangler to each section. I go back and take each big section, make smaller sections, apply more detangler and tiny bit of coconut oil and… Read more »

Kii
Kii

I recently watched that same video and it also had me feeling like I was doing something completely wrong. I have back length hair and it never takes me nearly that long to detangle.

Tia
Tia

WOW! My hair is almost BSL (because I recently cut it) and it never takes me over an hour to detangle — even when I am not in the shower. I have some 3c, 4a, and 4b areas. Then again I have been doing this so long that I feel like detangling is second nature. I’m not sure what I am doing differently that causes my time to be so short but I know that I am definitely not yanking my hair out.

JenKen
JenKen

It takes me a couple of hours to detangle. That involves taking down my 2strand twists (which I make kinda small), separating them, and then making sure all tangles are out. This does not count the time I am in the shower with my comb. When I am doing my hair I am also doing other things such as watching movies or doing laundry. I have medium length hair.…

Tasha M
Tasha M

I normally detangle once or twice weekly as I was wearing alot of wash n go’s and I would basically wet hair w/conditioner & finger comb, then use the denman…it would take me 15 min at the most & my hair is about 5–7 inches & I guess about 4a-4b…

Libby

I have 4b/4c hair about 3–4 inches. If I’ve worn my hair in twists/twist outs I need to detangle prior to washing. I recently started mixing a conditioner with water in a spray bottle. Then I detangle with my fingers or comb from end to roots. That has helped a lot. After washing, I also do an oil rinse. In my oil rinse I use coconut oil mixed with some essential oils of choice. I let that sit on my hair for about 45 min using a conditioning cap. When I rinse it out, my hair is so soft and whatever… Read more »

Legally Natural
Legally Natural

I am 4a/3c coarse natural and I have recently changed my detangling technique. Before, when my hair was shorter, I could detangle in the shower with conditioner and running water. However, as my hair got thicker and longer, I could no longer do that technique (lots of tangles). Now at almost BSL, I detangle after my deep conditioning. Since my hair has soaked up some of the conditioner and is warm from heat, it is easier for the comb to glide through. Sometimes I will add some water to get a little more slip, but is often unnecessary. Overall, I… Read more »

fey
fey

i have 4b which is variable around 15inches and stretches to bra strap. i never detangle in 1 sitting bcz my hair is predisposed to tangle alot. so i wash ~every 2wks in twists and take my time over 1–2 days to detangle with fingers–no comb.

Anonymous
Anonymous

She must detangle one strand at a time! My 10y/o has hair longer that Kimmay and it takes a/b an hour to carefully detangle her hair. Sry, but I don’t believe it takes her 4 hours unless she is obsessive or something.

Jc
Jc
Reply to  Anonymous

I think this is quite rude. Why would she lie and on top of that how unrealistic is her estimate when quite a number of us agree that 4 hours plus is normal?

A 4 year old’s head cannot really compare to an adult’s head.

I think it is fine to disagree on the time but it is not fine to call someone a liar especially when its unfounded.

Anonymous
Anonymous
Reply to  Jc

Jc- Sorry you found my comment rude but I stand by what I said. If I am the one styling my daughter’s long, dense, 4b hair every week, I have a say in what it compares to. It compares to Kim’s but longer. Kim says it takes her 4 hours just to detangle and 2 additional hours to style. I haven’t seen one commenter that relates to this. I am a cosmetologist and have dealt with some thick, long hair in my day and it has NEVER taken me 4 hours to comb through someone’s hair. Either she is overly… Read more »

Jc
Jc
Reply to  Anonymous

Overly careful’ lol, maybe that is why she has hair. I think you missed these comments!

ruth — 2 hours
rw — references someone who is waistlength — 8hrs
fey — 1–2 days (in stages)
dajewel — 4days (in stages)

Anyway I am past idle talk, you cannot fault people for being gentle with their hair. The biggest reason why our hair suffers in terms of length retention is breakage with combs and brushes.

Anonymous
Anonymous
Reply to  Jc

Seriously JC, you are either bald or you worhip this woman. Why are you so defensive for her? I have a right to my opinion. I have long hair. My daughter’s have hair that is 4a/b and theirs is 19–23 inches in length. Of course we need to be gentle but it SHOULDN“T take 4 hours just to detangle. As others have stated, something is missing. I was responding to the original question. I hope she sees that this is NOT the norm. You posted responses from 3 people, yet there have been 100 comments and the majority of people… Read more »

cati
cati

i saw the kimmaytube video too. 4 hours! honestly i cant be bothered. i try to do it in 30–45 minutes. i have extremely thick 4c hair with both fine and thick strands‑i havent met a hairdresser who hasnt complained about my thickness. i try to was in sections, but it doesnt seem to be more helpful. lately i have been wearing my hair in small braids for a couple of weeks. i can wash them while braided. so that helps. i have been natural about 1 year 3 months. it is a 1–2inches longer than chary jay’s. i only wet… Read more »

D.W.
D.W.

I am telling y’all, this detagling comb will change your life. Amazon!!

[img]http://bglhonline.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/tangle tamer‑1.jpg[/img]

Kimmy
Kimmy
Reply to  D.W.

Am I the only who thought this was a sex toy? Hahahahahaha!!

Dolores
Dolores
Reply to  Kimmy

My only concern is: does it cause breakage? It looks sharp at the end, and the spirals look like they could shred hair.

D.W.
D.W.
Reply to  Dolores

Delores- Not at all!! I have very little hair in the comb. I lose a LOT more hair using the tangle teezer. Read all the 5 star reviews on Amazon. It is a miraculous comb in all seriousness.

naija loves bglh
naija loves bglh
Reply to  D.W.

inneresting. please tell me more… link…

ghd
ghd

Once per week, 3c texture, using conditioner w/ wide tooth comb& fingers under running water. Total time to wash, detangle, and condition=30 minutes.

ghd
ghd
Reply to  ghd

Oh, my hair is 12 inches long.

Yemi

4b/4a here, 8 inches and it takes me 10–20 mins to detangle. My routine varies; I typically deep condition on dry hair before shampooing so I sometimes will detangle afterward but before shampooing. Other times I comb in sections in the shower with conditioner in. I just don’t understand how it can take some folks 1+ hours to detangle their hair. Maybe I’m just lucky; my hair never gets tangled unless it has been in a protective style which is why I prefer wash and gos even at my length. If it ever took me 4 hours to detangle my… Read more »

Olivia

My hair is a little more than 6 inches (last time I checked…which was forever ago so it’s longer now…I need to keep up with it LoL) and it takes me about an hour to do the wash, condition and detangle process and I’m pretty cure my hair is 4b.…it’s 4something that’s for sure. My hair gets really tangled when it gets tangled so I have to take my time so as not to rip hair from my head…which has happened before. I lost a LOT of hair in one shot in the past and it really scared me. I… Read more »

Jade

Wow. I wash/detangle/condition my hair in 30 min. My detangling tool is my fingers and I only detangle the ends which takes ~10 minutes.

I have 7–8 inches of kinky/coily shoulder-length hair.

I’m a broke college student, with a demanding course load and job. I don’t have time for 4 hour detangling sessions…

[img]http://bglhonline.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/Photo%20on%202011–01-09%20at%2012.31%20%232.jpg[/img]

Raven
Raven
Reply to  Jade

your hair is gorgeous!! very thick and pretty!!

Kitty

I have 3c/4a hair that is 4–5 inches long. I detangle every week. After shampooing, I saturate my hair with conditioner (either Suave Almond and Shea butter or Tresemme moisture rich)and use a wide tooth comb. I do it section by section (from end to root) softly. I do get some snags, but not a lot.

It takes me about 5–10 mins depending on how many knots have formed.

Hope that helped. 😀

Kitty
Reply to  Kitty

My hair doesn’t tangle like it used to when I was a kid. Its really soft and when full of conditioner the comb doesn’t snag too much So I figure that’s why it takes so little time to detangle. I wonder what’s going to happen when it gets longer.…

Adhara
Adhara

I detangle in the shower with conditioner with almond oil added and a wide tooth comb. Take me 5 — 10 minutes unless I had some weird style or gel in there for dance performance. I have 3c hair and it’a about 10 inches stretched out. I can’t imagine spending more than 30 minutes tops on my hair these days (unless i’m prepping for performance or something). O_o

Adhara
Adhara
Reply to  Adhara

Oh and I usually have it in 2 big braids to sleep and keep it in protective styles a lot throughout the week. the worst tangles i get are from having out for a few days.

loveLee
loveLee

I have 4a or 4b hair about 6inches long 3 natural and 3 relaxed it takes 30 minutes to 45 and I tried prepooing this pass wash day and it took some time off after the wash to, about 10 min. I also detangle with my fingers before i wash and I use a wide tooth comb and lots of conditioner after

AnonCA
AnonCA

@Anonymous, I’d say obsessive for a lot of people is an understatement. And yeah, I don’t see how it takes 4 hours. It’s not even above average thickness. For a lot of people, it might be a product of not ever combing, or rarely combing too. But mostly probably being overly careful. For me, having unusually thick hair and not short (but I don’t measure and dislike typing), means that styling or prepping after washing can be time consuming (and drying takes an eternity), but the detangling isn’t hard. I would also guess (but couldn’t be sure) that detangling is harder… Read more »

Camille in Slovenia

I also saw a popular Youtuber talking about hours long weekly detangling. OK, she has very long hair, but I don’t think it should take so long in general and especially not if you are protective styling most of the time. I have 4b hair, that is about 8 inches all around and I detangle weekly. I mostly finger detangle and only comb detangle about once a month or less. I detangle before I wash using a little olive oil and sometimes a little conditioner. I’m not gonna lose my mind over this unless it becomes evident that I am… Read more »

Maureen
Maureen

@ D.W. I’ve read nothing but rave reviews about that detangling comb, now I wanna try it out too 😉 The whole washing process is time consuming: I detangle the day before which can take up to 2 hrs because I do it very gently and also massage my scalp. Washing (in braids) is pretty quickly done, but styling my hair afterwards takes longer than 2 hrs because it tangles easily and needs to be combed before I can put it in any protective style. My hair is type 4A, BSL in the back and a little shorter in the front, it… Read more »

QQ
QQ

Detangling takes about 20–30 mins for me. I have APL hair (3c,4a) I leave it in a twist-out for about a week, if im busy, 2 weeks, and it does tend to get tangled. I must admit, I get impatient, and I’m not too careful with snags sometimes. And I do feel that I loose a lot of hair when detangling. But swapping to different detangling combs, I stopped using the Denman brush, washing in twists…none of those things have made any difference to the amount of hair I lose. I figure its probably just how my hair is? But… Read more »

jaince
jaince

Right now my hair is at average I guess about 8 inches long, (I don’t measure) and to be honest with you I do not really detangle. I am really rough with everything that I do, and that includes my hair, and I find that it works for me, because my hair is super thick and i find myself ripping through strands when i try to detangle(I’m still working on being patient and gentle)). I have 4 different textures of hair on my head.The bottom Half of the back and the right side of my head the curls are really… Read more »

Jade
Jade

I have 4b hair, 10 inches

It used to take me exactly one hour flat to shampoo, condition, and detangle my hair plus taking a shower.

Now I don’t even detangle when my hair is soaking wet. I use the TANGLE TEEZER and it has worked wonders for my hair. But it is only good to use this product when your hair is slightly damp. So I usually start detangling after I get out of the shower.

destaneemom
destaneemom
Reply to  Jade

So love the Tangle Teezer, it has made my life so much easier. I no long have her detangle in the bath anymore I do it when she gets out now since I found this brush. I have noticed far less hair in her Tangle Teezer then when I used her Denman brush.

Reply to  destaneemom

Where do you find the Tangle Tweezer, or do you have to buy it online only?

Crystal
Reply to  E

I love the Tangle Teezer as well. You can get it at Sally’s online or at the store for $10. It works well for both my daughter (3b) and I (4a).

barbaranaturallyspeaking

It takes me about 5 minutes to detangle my hair. My hair type is 3c. My hair is 13–15 inches in length throughout due to formerly having layers and asking stylists to only clip the split ends without evening everything up. I mainly conditioner wash my hair. After that I apply more conditioner and olive oil and finger comb it through sections of my hair then take a large tooth comb and comb through my hair in sections (approximately 5 sections) starting from the back of my hairline. Conditioner + olive oil means easy detangling for me, which again takes… Read more »

LBell
LBell

I read through these comments and for the most part certain facts emerge that are really commonsense if you think about it: - Short hair takes less time to detangle than long hair — Thinner (as in, less dense) hair takes less time to detangle than thicker (more dense) hair — Less-coily textures (by this I mean both loose curls AS WELL AS no-pattern kinks with less shrinkage) take less time to detangle than more-coily textures (by this I mean tighter, spring-like coils) I’m surprised no one has mentioned “Never Wet and Loose At The Same Time.” It’s a very basic mantra… Read more »

ja14
ja14
Reply to  LBell

Here’s a basic question: Is your hair really tangled, or is it just COILY?”

*Handclaps*

That is all.

mangomadness
mangomadness
Reply to  LBell

I cosign on the post entirely. Especially this part: “Is your hair really tangled, or is it just COILY?” Sometime I think folks are doing too much when. To each her own. *shrugs*

b.
b.
Reply to  LBell

You preach.

AnonCA
AnonCA

Oh, I find that really thick shower combs work really well too. I just have a couple that came from no name beauty supply stores, but they are thick, pretty heavy, and are more or less seamless. I just them a lot for regular combing. The weight and size are really good. I just found that regular detangling combs were a bit too flimsy for thick hair. There are name brand versions, but my twin combs have no labels, and are the same material but just thicker and heavier than say the same thing by companies like Conair or Goody for… Read more »

emma
emma

welllll.…(antoine dodson voice) lol. but seriously, um i guess i have 4b to 4c hair, probably 10 inches stretched out. very thick all over. I normally put in bentonite clay beforehand or a deep conditioner so first i wash out my treatment, then rinse with acv. While the ACV is in, I use a wide-toothed shower comb, when i rinse it out i still use the comb. then I put in conditioner, then use a “denman” style brush. Last I rinse out the conditioner using the brush. If i put in some gel afterward I brush it through while the hair… Read more »

Beverly
Beverly

I have 3c/4a hair and its crazy thick and about bra strap length. At max it takes me 20 minutes. If it took me 4 hours to detangle my hair I think I would chop it all off. The key is finding a conditioner with good slip. You can tell as soon as you put it on your hair if it will be an easy task or not. Even after a week of wearing a matted up wash and go as soon as I put some Aussie Moist and a little water its like magic. My 0.99 Jilbere comb has… Read more »

Kitty
Reply to  Beverly

Wow! I have the same hair type and I think this is what I’m going to be looking forward to. LoL. 20 mins detangling? That’s going to be interesting. Thank God only once a week. *faints*

destaneemom
destaneemom

My daughter has 10–12 inch 3b-4a hair which is thick and I ran across a product called “Tangle Teezer” it is a brush. I love it and more importantly she loves it. It does not pull or break hair but makes detangling a breeze. I have literally cut my detangling time down to about 15 minutes with very lil sheading. I have used it on freshly cowashed hair and just re-wet with spray bottle hair. I have also used this on very thick 4b-4c hair of a 5 year old and had similar results. The lil girl didnt even realize… Read more »

Kiya
Kiya

I have 3b-3c hair,near to bra strap length ( around 11–12 inches) it takes me about 30 mins each side of my head so thats 1 hour overall ( this is because i’m really careful with it). after washing i apply conditioner over all the hair and section into 2. i slowly go through the sides in small sections paying careful attention to knotts and tangles-applying almond oil throughout to add slip ( its waaaaaaaay more easier that way). de-tangling carefully and slowly as to not damage the hair. i go through first with my fingers and then with a… Read more »

GreenTea
GreenTea

Takes me about 10–15min to detangle. I drench my hair in a cheap conditioner. Hello Hydration or V05. I definitely have 4b/c hair about 5inches. I let the conditioner sit for about 5–10 minutes and then use a wide tooth comb to detangle in sections.

Bumper
Bumper

I have very thick type 4a/b 10″ long hair. The only time my hair gets really knotted is when I’ve had it in braid extensions and even then it doesn’t take more than 15 minutes to detangle. I do the bulk of my detangling after washing. I divide my hair into four sections and smother each section with UBH moisturizer. I then proceed to detangle with a wide toothed combed. If I come across any knots/snags I use my fingers to prise them apart.

Emilia
Emilia

I have shoulder-length hair in it’s natural state (3B-3C texture), mid-back length when straightened. To detangle, which is usually done as a pre-shampoo, I create a mixture of water and a cheap conditioner that I would mist on large sections of my hair prior to detangling with a wide-toothed comb; this process takes between 25–45 minutes, depending on the amount of tangles I encounter. I generally do this at the most once a week.

Teonna
Teonna

omg, when i first went natural it took me abt 2 hrs to detangle my hair conditioner and all…smh. I have very curly/coily type 4 hair. however recently i have combined conditioner, olive oil, and aloe vera gel adn i swear using my double detangler takes abt 15–30 mins…
[img]http://bglhonline.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/Photo on 2010-12-01 at 20.24.jpg[/img]
this picture is of me and my little natural 🙂

luminous
luminous

It takes me 1.5–2 hours to detangle my hair. I have 4b, 14″ long, and I usually wear my hair in small twists and twist-outs. I only detangle once a month so that’s probably why it takes so long. I do have a lot of shed hairs too, but again probably because I only detangle once a month. I detangle with conditioner and castor oil in sections. I could be gentler as I use a shower comb and a brush.

Naturalista
Naturalista

4 hours to detangle hair?????? Is she making a career out of detangling? It takes me only 15 minutes, and my hair is super thick! Section it into six individual parts and with the help of shea butter get on with it. The four hours is still bothering me.

AnonCA
AnonCA
Reply to  Naturalista

ROFL!!

Norrell
Norrell

I dont have any strict regimen but I could only imagine it taking 4 hours, if she has extremely dense long, kinky hair that she doesn’t detangle often. I generally always wear my hair in twist outs and when it comes to wash day, I’m usually to lazy to fully detangle my hair and usually set for a quick finger comb. However I realized that the reason my hair is probably kindof tangled from being in twist/twist outs all the time, but not really tangeld persay is because im probably not doing the absolute best job of getting rid of… Read more »

Norrell
Norrell

oh and i have extremely thick 4a/4b hair that is i guess somewhere between 10–12″? i never measure my hair and its should length, somewhere past my collar bone.

PeaceImages Jewelry

m
[img]http://bglhonline.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/Picture0381.jpg[/img]

my hair is a few inches past my back.
i simply use vegetable glycerin dissolved in a little water.
i use a veeeeeery wide-toothed comb and my fingers, also.

takes 30 min to an hour depending on how long it’s been since I last combed, and how dry it is.

PeaceImages Jewelry

oh and extreeemely thick. and about a 4b

SA
SA

My hair is medium thick 3c/4a and mbl. My hair is always semi-stretched in some way or fashion. It takes me 10–15 mins to detangle my hair, I finger-detangle (at least once a week).

Jai
Jai

Ladies, don’t sleep on the tangle teezer. I was very skeptical after reading about it in the forums and watching the youtube videos but I’m glad I bought it. My natural 4b hair has NEVER been detangled so well using the tangle teezer. Not only does it detangle well but it distributes the product(s) well which means I won’t be waisting any products and more product will reach more hair strands from the roots to the ends. It now takes me about 30 minutes to detangle. 🙂

E

I like the way Youtuber Naptural85 does her detangling, I’ve tried it before and it came out really good.

httpv://www.youtube.com/user/Naptural85#p/search/1/PQEAUNj0Exw

httpv://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQEAUNj0Exw

E

Alright ladies, I went ahead and brought the Tangle Teezer from Sally’s this evening. Hopefully I will be able to report good things for my hair as well. Because right now it takes about an 1hour to detangle. Have a good weekend everyone.

Calena

I thought so too Kimmy!! I was like whaoooooooo wrong section! hehehe!

Yogi

I’m not sure of my hair type of the exact length (the nape is close to bsl) but I think it takes me about an hour…I’ve been meaning to time myself..I normally detangle once a week but if I wear my hair out that week than the detangling process takes longer. I normally apply oil to dry hair smoothing it thru getting rid of shed hair, then rinse with warm water, then shampoo and condition (this is my detangling process) once detangled I put hair in big twists rinse, deep condition, & style so I can possibly spend up to… Read more »

Yogi
Reply to  Yogi

oh I only use my fingers to detangle…I stopped using a comb a while ago…

EbnCurly
EbnCurly

When i don’t need a trim — it takes 5 mins / when i do need a trim its half an hour. I very rarely get tangles but my tangle teaser works great, wet or dry [for my hair]. I use paddle brush / wide tooth comb and tangle teaser on tangles only.

Kristen
Kristen

I have 4b‑c hair type and It takes me about 30–45 to detangle my hair. When I’m rushing I can do it in as little as 10 minutes. I part my hair in 6 sections, 2 on each side and 2 down the middle. I start from end to root and twist each section when done. I have been growing my hair out for almost 1 year (feb 12th is my 1 year natural anniversary!) And my hair is about 5–6 inches I believe, Idk might be calculating wrong. Recently I bought this awesome detangling comb from Sally’s and it… Read more »

Shay

I have 4a 4b hair type and it takes me about 30 minutes to an hour to wash, deep condition and detangle my hair in the shower. It only takes me that long because I detangle in sections. When I co-wash my hair it only takes abour 10–15 minutes tops. Four hours to detangle hair seems entirely too long in my opinion.

Oh yea…I have between 5–6 inches of hair.

Queeen
Queeen

Time: about 30 mins Length: approx. 11 inches Texture: all the 4’s and straight brillo in the middle Frequency: every time I wash my hair so… The Process: Apple Cider Vinegar(ACV) and a little bit of water in a spray bottle. Section hair into large but manageable sections. Saturate hair and comb from bottom to top. Normally use wide toothcomb but for finer knots use my fingers. Twist or loosely braid detangled section so it is ready to wash. Wash in twist. The End. Extra Notes: ACV by far provides the greatest slip, it seems like the tangles just fall out. ACV cut… Read more »

Loee
Loee

My hair is about 18″ to 20″ long. I have 3C hair; with heavier products, my hair has waves, but with lighter products, it has spirals. With no product, it’s only wavy, but very susceptible to getting knots. It takes me 20min. to 1hr. to comb my hair, 2x a week. I usually turn the water off when I do this, to conserve. But since this is a messy process, I stand in the shower/bathtub. And having the right conditioner does make a world of difference. What upsets me is when people with hair that’s not 3C and curlier do… Read more »

Jodi

U know what I feel your pain, keep doing you and do the best routine and maintenance for your hair type. i also have 3c hair but half of my hair is 3b and the other half is 3c so look at it like this. At least you are not dealing with two different types of curl patterns on your head. Stay natural, continue to take care of your hair curly,EDUCATE STRAIGHT HAIR PEOPLE ON HOW CURLY HAIR IS 360 DEGREES DIFFERENT FROM STRAIGHT HAIR, IT IS NOT INFERIOR, BUT IT HAS A MIND OF ITS OWN AND IS TEMPERAMENTAL… Read more »

cha52
cha52

My hair is a 4 way combo of 3b 3c 4a and 4b. My hair is also medium to coarse strands. I tend to be lazy when it comes to doing my hair so i only do it every two weeks and everytime I do it typically takes about 90 minutes. I believe my hair is about 16 18 inches long. A tip i have is to mix you fave conditoner with water in a spray bottle. You may think your hair is “not the kind of hair that be detagled with a wimpy little spray concoction” but dont knock… Read more »

Sahara Rose
Sahara Rose

Time: 5 minutes
Hair type- 3b, c, a , thick, coarse, just below shoulder when dry- almost mbl when wet

Process- on soaking wet hair, apply a quarter size of conditioner , then comb with a wide tooth comb from the bottom to tops. When applying products, I Comb them through