Michelle in the UK // Natural Hair Style Icon

Avatar • Dec 20, 2010

Where are you from?
M:
I live in London and I work as a physical therapist. I was born in the UK (London) but my parents are from Nigeria. London is a unique and vibrant place. I love the diversity of cultures coming together making a unique blend!

What is the natural hair scene like in the UK?
M:
There has been a growing natural hair community over the last couple of years. I have had very positive feedback about my natural hair. I have been asked why I don’t straighten my hair but I hardly ever receive negative comments. I personally feel that natural hair is accepted but having said that I think it depends on the type of style. I think wearing dread locks is more frowned upon compared to just having natural afro hair that is braided/cornrowed. Dread locks gets negative attention but that seems to be changing for the better now. Sister locks seems to be a big hit in the UK and look very stylish.

Why did you go natural?
M:
I first went natural back in 2007 because I was fed up with putting chemicals in my hair. I was always getting burned and would suffer hair breakage at the back of my head which is not as thick as the hair on the crown of my head. So although my hair appeared healthy and long, it was very short at the nape. I think I missed having straight hair and then decided to texturize my hair thinking it would be any better but that proved to be nonsense! This time my hair started breaking at the front!…something that had never happened to me before!

I went natural for the second time and cut my hair in March 2009. I transitioned first before taking that leap! As soon as I stopped using chemicals my hair was fuller and healthier. I didn’t experiment with my relaxed hair. I would often put it up in a ponytail because I was too lazy to style it. I am so glad I made the decision to go natural as it has forced me to be more creative with my hair. I now realize just how versatile my hair can be and I like the fact that I am not restricted. I can go swimming and go to the gym without thinking “I spent x amount on my hair and don’t want to ruin it”. Of course shrinkage is a problem with afro hair but I just work around it by choosing styles that suit my lifestyle. My favorite is the two strand twist bantu knot out, you barely notice any shrinkage because it’s such a short cropped style.

What’s your regimen?
M:
I apply coconut oil to my hair the night before, cover with a shower cap then put a satin scarf on top.
*In the morning I shampoo my hair twice with Aubrey organics J.A.Y desert herb shampoo and rinse thoroughly
*I then apply Giovanni deep moisturizing conditioner and section into about 8 parts, detangle then twist each section. I also sometimes use Aubrey Organics J.A.Y desert herb conditioner.
*I apply a shower cap and sit under a hooded dryer for about 25 minutes
*I rinse thoroughly with the twists intact
*I then rinse with ACV to help close the cuticles
*I take down one section at a time, apply leave in conditioner such as Kinky Curly Knot Today, Shea Moisture Leave-in or Qhemet Biologics amla and olive heavy cream then retwist
*I apply Let’s Dred beeswax to seal my ends
*I cover with a satin bonnet and leave to air dry over night
*Style as usual

Where do you buy your products?
M:
I purchase most products from Nubian Natural or Adornment 365 in Brixton, London

What would you like to see in the UK in terms of haircare?
M:
More hair salons that actually know how to look after natural hair properly!

Is there a blog/webpage where we can find you?
M:
www.naturallynubian01.blogspot.com

Jasmine
Jasmine

I love her youtube channel- I was just watching it today funny enough!BIG UP TO UK NATURALS!

michaboa

Her hair is gorgeous. I need to make my way down to brixton to get these products.

BlaqueInfinite

Dreadlocks only get negative attention because of the large number of Nigerians in the UK. Nigerians usually hate dreadlocks (REAL ones, not 2 month old ones) and have a stigma against them. This is a shame because historically, several Nigerian cultures have treasured babies born with dreadlocks (they were considered good luck) and never cut their hair because it’s sacred, but nowadays all the women want hair like Mary Sue. The only reason why sisterlocks are accepted is because they’re tiny and look more like braids, read: closer to white women’s hair.

Likewaterforchocolate
Likewaterforchocolate
Reply to  BlaqueInfinite

Sorry BlaqueInfinite, but sisterlocks look absolutely nothing like a white woman’s hair. Your statement suggests that a natural woman with sisterlocks has soehow altered the texture of her natural by having this hairstyle I know several women with sisterlocks and I never thought that their hair looked European in any way. Another theory could be that sisterlocks are more accepted because of the size of the locks (smaller locks looking closer to strands of hair). I have heard people make similar statements about sisters with locs (because they hang down like a white girls’ hair), but I still think these observations are… Read more »

Treacle
Treacle

Thank you so much for your insight! I recently went into a black hair shop and enquired about goods for natural hair and I felt I was a bother!It was really uncomfortable and I was saddened that while they were very happy to sell me long straight weaves when that was my thing, they were point blank ignorant when it came to my hair- OUR hair! Anyway. . I totally ‘got’ your point about having to be more adventurous; I was never one for ribbons, bands, bows etc in my hair but now I can’t get enough! Thanks for the list… Read more »

Elam
Elam

It was great to come across her youtube channel, because at the time I hadn’t come across anyone from the UK. Which hooded dryer do you use? I wanted to by the Babyliss Super hood dryer, but I keep thinking that it’s gonna be too small for my head :-(.

Leonie UK
Leonie UK

Nice profile picture and true statement on the distressing behaviour towards natural black hair care in the UK. I’ve been to many hairdresers and had Black haidressers, look at me like I’m weird or wrong for having natural hair,unlike going to the European ones where they just get to the point.

Most of the natural salons cater to locs,and are very expensive. But I prefer to go there (Morris roots & Back to Eden two of the BEST) then an uncertified hairdresser.

I use to visit Adornment, but found the service…let’s say lacking. I hope it’s turned around since.

HWGN100%

Great Michelle!!

You can also find products from a UK based company such as ours which uses only the finest natural ingredients!!

Add us on facebook: http://en-gb.facebook.com/hairwegrownatural
and twitter: http://twitter.com/HairWeGwNatural
Subscribe: http://www.youtube.com/user/HairWeGrowNatural

Suzan, UK
Suzan, UK

I’ve lived in London all my life and been natural for the majority of my years. (I’m fast approaching 50.) Great to see a young natural from the UK on YouTube as I’ve not come across many. I will subscribe to your channel as your never! too old to learn. Hopefully, attitudes to natural hair in the UK will become more progressive e.g. acccepting that it is OK for us with tight coils/kinks to wear our hair naturally.….….….

Amma Mama
Amma Mama

Your so beautiful and I LOVE your hair!