To Cut or Not to Cut?

Avatar • Nov 27, 2010

Reader Morgan (pictured above) wants your opinion!

Hey BGLH readers!

I’m considering cutting off my collarbone length natural hair. It seems as if the longer it gets, the more and more I want to cut it. I don’t want to cut it ALL off, but rather into a style that would suit me. I’m not a huge fan of regimens or having to keep up my hair, so the shorter hair would be much easier. The pin-up style I have now imitates the cut I want, but it isn’t good enough. But a lot of people tell me I shouldn’t cut it since I’ve gotten it this long. Should I just go through with cutting it? I have no idea why I’m so attached. Also, would it be smarter to go to a barber or a salon?

What do you guys think?

Canteloupe Brown
Canteloupe Brown

Coincidental that you would ask that question. I was watching a YouTuber named NikkiiDior who had super-long hair. She said the maintenance was too high, so she decided to get it cut. Happenstance was in her favor and she met someone who was trained by DevaCurl to cut curly hair. She said, her friends thought she was crazy for cutting her hair, but she did it for herself. It looks really gorgeous too. Video is at : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2deIFODGmg

Ansley
Ansley

I can understand. Sometimes natural hair can become too much when it gets longer. If you feel like you need to cut then you should do it.

Gigi
Gigi

I don’t like the idea of cutting it so short.
I’d worry about versatility.
But that’s just me.
I’m sure you’d look wonderful even if you did cut it. (:

ElectricFeel
ElectricFeel

It’s your hair!
Do as you please, it will grow back.
🙂

ElectricFeel
ElectricFeel

Forgot to add, please keep us updated!

Amma Mama
Amma Mama

I think if u want to cut it, you should go for it!
You only live once and it will grow back! Either way you will look great:-)

Daja
Daja

IMO, I’d say cut it. Shooo girl it grows back. Plus I’m not length obsessed. Then you can get creative with it like tapering and what not. And if you want to cut it you should go to a barber since they are the only specialists I’ve met in natural hair. Honestly, it’s up to you. Just know that cutting or not cutting your hair is not a life threatning decision so it should be an easy one for you. Love the looks btw.

BrownEyes
BrownEyes

I know how you feel! If you’re not sure, i’d suggest getting a hair-do that will last a couple of weeks and need no maintenance such as twists. You may find that you’re glad that you didn’t chop. If you still feel the same, cut it! It will grow back.

Amma Mama
Amma Mama

O yea I forgot to mention, I think u should go to a good natural hair salon. If you can’t find one, then the barber. Sometimes I dont like the way barbers cut womens’ natural hair.

Ashley

I would cut it. do what YOU want, it’s your hair. It’ll grow back,length can be annoying sometimes trying to keep up with maintenance. A great cut can make all thee difference, it’s even better than you already know what you want

Barbaranaturallyspeaking

First off your hair is gorgeous and you have a lot of it. I think it’s ultimately up to you if you decide to cut, just do what makes you comfortable. Just remember that as your hair grows there are different ways to style it that can be easy as well. My hair just reached BSL length and I can do many styles that I did when my hair was shorter. Wash and go puffs ( low maintenance and can last for a week or more), braid outs, twist outs, some twisted across the front with it out in the… Read more »

Cecily
Cecily

Girl cut your hair! A fly haircut will make u feel fly! It’ll be less work, but you will still look gorgeous! What’s the point of hair if you can’t have fun with it???

Miss Novella

I think you should cut it! If you don’t like the maintenance then go ahead. Also, I think a lot of women who prefer to keep their hair short go to a barber. I guess it depends on how short you get it cut. If it’s going to be a TWA then a salon would probably be better. If you want a caesar fade then go to a barbershop. =)

VanessAmazin
VanessAmazin

By llooking at your photos, it is easy to see that you have a great sense of style. I believe that long hair has great versatility than short hair. Although your hair will grow back, our type of hair doesnt show growth as easily. Perhaps the best suggestions is to get your hair trimmed and treated. This will promote manageability and remove dead ends that are partially the cause for difficult styling. I hope you are able to resolve your hairy dilemma. Keep us posted.

nad
nad

I wouldn’t worry about other people’s opinion. You should do what’s best for you. At the end of the day you’re the one dealing with your decision. Good luck

NATURALISTA
NATURALISTA

PLEASE DO NOT! YOUR HAIR IS TOO DAMN GORGEOUS. RESEARCH ALTERNATIVES…A HAIR REGIMEN DOES NOT HAVE TO BE ALL THAT COMPLICATED!

julia

I have cut my hair many times in the 12 years I’ve been natural — I had locs for 7 years that were near waist length before I cut them into a layered bob (that I loved). Then I cut then off for a twa (that I loved). I’m growing my hair again right now.
Length for the sake of length is just silly. Do you.

trackback

[…] This post was mentioned on Twitter by mj., REDSMACK. REDSMACK said: To Cut or Not to Cut? — check it out here http://bit.ly/fhrrOO […]

binks
binks

Do what makes you happy, if you want to rock your hair short and in a cute style then do it, everybody is going to have an array of opinions on what you should do to your hair but the only opinion that matters is yours because you are the one who has to deal with your own hair not us. So if a short style is what you want then by all means do it, you are gorgeous and could pull off any style and remember it will always grow back. I say go to someone who is experience… Read more »

S.
S.

I’m dealing with the same thing right now. I cut all of my hair off again after about 16 months natural. It wasn’t nearly as long as yours but I’m lazy lol. I was longing for a big Esperanza Spaulding-esque fro but I dread the maintenance.

I think you already know that you want to cut it but the comments from other people are discouraging you. Do what YOU want. They aren’t the ones that have to wash, condition, detangle, twist, braid, etc., you are.

And you’ll look hot either way so don’t worry lol.

iri9109

you should cut it if you want. its not super long so it would probably be easier to part with it now rather than later. if you’re already attached at collarbone length, imagine when you get to arm pit length or beyond and think about cutting it…plus it will grow back…i’d go to a salon if you arent about to chop down to a fade.

homegirl
homegirl

gurl yo hair is real fly or whateva but if u wanna cut it, make sure u get something u will like. =]

Julie

Shape it & to the salon with excellence in curly hair. The first picture suites you much better, it has more texture & definition to it. Good Luck!

brittany
brittany

i’m dealing with the exact same feelings right now. i’ve been growing my hair out for about 8 months now and although i love the length, maintenance is becoming mush more of a hassle. hair is just hair though, do what you want as long as you rock it with pride 🙂

MP
MP

Do what you like. If you change your mind you can grow it back out again. I think it looks really cute in the updo style.

Antoinette

you should do what ever your heart desires because at the end of the day its going to be you. My hair isn’t as long as yours and i keep thinking about cutting it too O_o so maybe we should both stop being scared and get it on lol

ss
ss

Too many naturals believe the beauty of their hair is in its length. This is not true. It seems like you already made up your mind what you want, but are looking for some sort of validation. It’s YOUR hair and your choice, do whatever you like. Your pictures are beautiful and I’m sure they will be beautiful after your cut if that’s what you decide to do. I would recommend a barber or salon that specializes in curly hair.

Sandy Brown
Sandy Brown

Do what works best for you!

Ashley

If you want to cut it then you should cut it. Especially if the feeling is nagging at you like that.

I think that unless you want a really short style that you should go to a natural salon over a barber. You could even try cutting it yourself if you’re good with scissors.

Carlene
Carlene

Cut it if you want, change is good… i reluctantly got mine cut by a barber but it turned out great… i love the shape and definition that I got. A barber may be better able to deal with your natural.

Jo Somebody
Jo Somebody

Can we just swap scalps instead???

On a more serious note, I’d say get the photo album out! Look back at any pics you have of yourself with shorter hair and remind yourself of how you felt and how you styled it. If you still want to do it, go for it! N’owt wrong with short hair and it’s hair — it grows back!

If you know of a good salon that deals with natural hair regularly, I’d say go there. Barbers would be fine too, of course.

Good luck to you, and keep us posted!

thelady
thelady

cut it, it is just hair, it will grow back and sometimes I miss my shorter hair too

Ashleigh L.A.
Ashleigh L.A.

Cut it. It grows back.

anonda
anonda

Cut it into the shape you want!Shape may be more important than length I usually had mine pinned back on one side so I cut that side back and tapered it and I’m much happier! I did the rough cut myself and had my Mr. clean it up with clippers. He cuts his own hair pretty well so I trusted him. I think if you are looking for shape and style a natural hair salon might be best. Keep the parts you want to style a little longer than you think it has to be because shrinkage will affect the… Read more »

Greta
Greta

I don’t understand what style you want as in the top pic, that’s not really a style to get your hair cut into and you may find that it is hard for you to upkeep or get it to look how you want it. I think you should consider the following: - Your current lifestyle — Are you busy at work? Busy with school and trying to achieve a non-hair related goal? - Time spent on hair — Are you overwhelmed with the amount of time your hair takes or just being a little lazy? - Picture your hair shorter —… Read more »

Alice

If you want to cut it. Cut it.

Shones

Check out the blogger at ItsJustHair.com. She did a great write-up a few months ago about her decision to cut her hair into a style. It looks fantastic on her, by the way, and based on her posts she seems excited about having done it.

napfrocurlzgirl

Since you like the pin up look, you could get a mohawk. I had one once, but I shaved all my hair and kept the crown long. That way, if I wore it natural, I’d have a mohawk. If I straightened it, I had a bob.

Shana

I say cut it. It’s your hair, and if the maintenance is too much for you — chop chop! I’m about the same length as you, but I want more! I’m looking forward to the effortless pony tail length!

Sing
Sing

I recently cut my natural hair very short to save time time. The longer it is, the more I have to do and I just don’t have the will to deal with it. So I cut it off and will be keeping it short for a long time I think.
It’s just hair and it grows back, so I say go for it.

mixed beans
mixed beans

oh gosh, i am having the same dilemma! my hair is now shoulder length, and i keep thinking about cutting it to a TWA again, with a shape most like the writer here wants her hair. I am stuck though and i have been going back and forth for about 2 months now. Sometimes i am happy i haven’t cut it, and other times i just want to chop it. I am more of a wash and go person, as in 5 minutes styling max, and this much hair is starting to prove quite time-consuming. At the same time, i… Read more »

Drea

It seems like you’ve already made the decision. Do you. If it’s easier for you to maintain it at a shorter length. Cut it. Hair does grow back.

Monisola
Monisola

I would give it a month. Take note of how much you enjoy…or despise your hair. If you find that you are just having a temporary moment of frustration but really love your hair, keep it. If you find that you realllllly need a break from all the maintenance, cut it. BUT maybe there is a happy medium. Could you take a chill pill on your regimen? spend less time styling and and find SIMPLER ways to wear your hair that are less work. Try quick protective styles you can leave in for a week or two. Wear head wraps, updos… Read more »

serenissima

your hair is fantastic, but if you want to cut it, i say DO YOU! im sure you can pull it off 🙂

Shanel Nicole

Hey Morgan, we met before at walmart a few months ago. Your hair is so beautiful that you can do anything you want to it. Everytime I see you, I think of how much your hair keeps growing…lol
I think that if you decide to cut it, it will always grow back. Do what you feel and enjoy it. Try different styles if you will to see what else you can with your hair.
Hope this helps ~

Shanel Nicole

Dee on team stretched

I think u would look fierce with the cut your attempting, it seems as though your heart is really set on cutting your hair so i say GO FOR THE GUSTO lol

OnceUponaTime

I recently cut my shoulder length hair back up to jaw length and I *still* wanna go shorter– just not quite yet but I will soon. So if you feel the urge to cut then definitely go for it. I don’t regret my cut, and you probably won’t regret it if you cut yours. Anyways like others have said, it grows back. Good luck either way.

dahliasoleil

I change with the seasons.I let it grow in the colder months and cut it in the warmer months.Mohawk is my favorite style in the summer.If your hair grows really fast like mine cutting it all off is a good style to try when you need a break.Plus I think black women look amazing with short cuts.

Or do like me…I’m about to get braids.I just grew my fro out to get a dope corn row style I want.You can keep your hair and change the style at the same time.

bee
bee

girl! do what you want! if your heart is telling you to cut it, cut it! i think that my hair is about the same length as yours, but i can’t wait until mine gets longer. my mom wants me to cut it, but i LVOE long, BIG hair. so i’m trying to grow it down my back (we have similar textures to so imagine how long that will take lol). anyhoot, cut it! and if you don’t like it, it will always grow back.

Morgan
Morgan

Hey ladies! For right now, I have decided to keep my hair (until I have an impulse idea, lol)! I finally found something that works for me! I have decided to enjoy my length, since my hair hasn’t been this long since I was a kid. Thanks for all of the feedback! I’m really appreciative! The biggest thing for me was detangling & I would lose SO. MUCH. HAIR! But I have since tried a different leave-in conditioner, kept my hair stretched, & shampooed my hair while it was dry. It made a HUGE difference, & so far, I’ve barely… Read more »

Jojo
Jojo

my gosh i want to know if she cut it yet…can we bring her back??