Nicole // Natural Hair Style Icon

Avatar • Nov 12, 2010

Where do you live?
N:
I am a Jersey girl, born and raised, who is a business analyst.

Why did you go natural?
N:
I felt other people loved my hair more than I did. It was long and straight… but I hated it. I hated getting relaxers, blow dryers and curling irons. I hated trying to outsmart the fog and rain in an effort to not look like a troll doll when arriving at school… I usually was unsuccessful, my 10th grade class photo proves this.

After graduating high school in 1998 I found a photo in a hair magazine. The photo was of a woman with a short curly fro and I loved it. At the time i had no idea what my natural hair texture was like. While I was deciding what to do, I stopped getting touch-ups. I would wash my hair and let it air dry or sometimes roller set it. This went on for about 6 months or so, then I made an appointment. In one night, i went from having about bra-strap length hair to hair that barely reached the middle of my forehead. But what a surprise… I have naturally curly hair! I had no idea!

My self esteem has grown— I am more comfortable in my skin than ever and I know my hair plays a part in that. I feel my hair is a truer reflection of my personality and is one of the things that makes me, me.

How would you describe your hair?
N:
My hair is curly, I have thick strands. It’s sorta dense and somewhat porous.

What’s your regimen?
N:
I like to keep it simple. It’s been the best and most cost effective route for me. I co-wash with Pantene (for curly hair) usually. While the conditioner is on my hair I detangle. Pat dry with a towel (never rub) then to style I usually use 3 products. First, I work a creme conditioner through my hair, usually an olive oil creme instead of a grease. Next, I finger style using Ampro Gel (the Clear Ice or Berry Ice versions). Ampro gel is the only gel I have used that does not flake or make my hair hard… I cannot see myself using any other product. When done with the gel will then throw a gloss on for extra shine. Right now I am using Fantasia Hair Polisher. All of the products I use are available at Walgreens, CVS or a Supermarket.

What mistakes have you made with your hair that you’ve learned from?
N:
Finding the right products definitely has been trial and error. I have found some products are more drying than others. On top of that I used to lighten my hair and have definitely fried it a few times! There are way more resources now for natural hair girls than in 1998 but I managed to find my way!

What’s the best/most effective thing you do for your hair?
N:
I will tie my hair up on the nights after it has been washed to preserve the curls. I typically will co-wash once or twice a week unless there’s a special occasion. Also, really keeping my routine low maintenance and not fussing with my hair so much has allowed me to grow it longer than I ever thought possible.

Is there a blog/webpage where we can find you?
N:

Anything else you want to add?
N:
I want for everyone to embrace their natural textures… I think the world would be a better place. 🙂

sunshyne84
sunshyne84

I don’t understand when people say they didn’t know their natural texture. I know it may have been years since you’ve seen it and your mom was probably dealing with it at that time, but doesn’t it curl up a little when you wash it? Can’t you look at baby pictures and have some idea of what it naturally looks like?

Nicole
Nicole

Me personally, No i didn’t know. Growing up my hair was in cornrows for the most part and yes my mom had the pleasure of dealing with that. When I stopped getting braids, i had a relaxer. My “new growth” was never curly. When it got wet, it definitely did not curl up like this. Everyone’s hair is different and reacts differently… I also heard/read your texture changes over the years. *shrugs*

Benita
Benita

I love how she mentioned her routine being cost effective. I love all the natural products that are out, but it gets expensive. However, I do know that is also part of the trial and error stage too with trying to find what works best for you.

helga crane
helga crane

Nicole, you are stunning and have fabulous hair!

Itsjustme
Itsjustme

I do not think that you can tell what your natural hair type is when you only have a few inches of new growth, and Im sure a lot of women didn’t let their hair grow out to that much new growth so in my opinion I do not believe that you can tell your natural hair texture when relaxed. By the way lovely interview love the hair!

Amber
Amber

I love your hair??? What texture would you say it was???

thelady
thelady

I didn’t really know my natural texture either until I did my BC. I’ve had a relaxer since 9 and my new growth always looked like tiny waves because of the relaxed hair was weighing it down. When I did my BC those waves shrunk into fuzzy coils the size of a spring inside a pen. I really had no clue. My hair is grown out now and it coils more the longer it gets. Plus I’m using better styling and moisturizing techniques then I did as a child so that also influences the texture.

Nicole
Nicole

Thank you all! I have few more pix here which are in chronological order, hopefully the link works for you!

I agree with Benita. It is so easy to go broke trying to find the right products. I go through everything so quickly especially conditioner. Another cost effective thing I have done is saturate my hair with regular Olive Oil at night (tie it up) and rinse it out in the morning. I’m no chemist but I think its a good conditioning treatment. 🙂

Amber, I think my hair is probably somewhere between 3A and 3B.

Thanks again!

trackback

[…] This post was mentioned on Twitter by La Chale, Black Girl Long Hair. Black Girl Long Hair said: Nicole from Jersey http://bit.ly/bwkiX1 #naturalhair […]

M.J.
M.J.

STUNNING!

anonda
anonda

You’re beautiful and thanks for promoting less expensive brands.
Natural hair seems to turn into another bill for some reason lol.

Nicole
Nicole

Thanks MJ and yes Anonda when my hair was short I was using Miss Jessie’s for a while but as my hair got longer the jars didn’t last long enough and they’re not exactly cheap. I don’t feel bad about going through a jar of Ampro gel in 2–3 weeks— i spent less than $5 on it. 🙂 Thanks so much 🙂