Nicole // Natural Hair Style Icon

Avatar • Nov 24, 2010

Where do you live?
N:
I live in N.Y.! I rep Brooklyn (*sings Brooklyn we go hard, we go hard lol)…can’t u tell? lol j/k. People always claim to be able to spot a Brooklyn girl.

Why did you go natural?
N:
I had been neglecting my hair for yeaaarrrsss (no exaggeration about 7+ years worth of processing, from perming to coloring to glueing in weaves without any deep conditioning or protein treatments in between) and my once bra-strap length hair was brittle and choppy from all the damage and breakage. Just a mess to say the least. My, now, fiance and I had just moved in together and I couldn’t help but wonder if he had any idea what I really looked like without all the added enhancements. I felt insecure without them. I got so tired of hiding behind a facade! I just couldn’t keep up with the act any longer. I wanted to be free of the shallow perception of beauty I was plagued with. That was the catalyst that prompted my transition. That, and simply wanting long hair by any means necessary lol.

I transitioned for about 14 months total. I was already 3 months post relaxer when I officially decided to go natural. I big chopped on April fool’s day of this year. I opted for a straight weave ponytail, but I had to press my hair to camouflage the new growth. Not such a good idea. I was oblivious to such a thing as permanent heat damage. Luckily I didn’t suffer any. I also utilized half wigs to avoid using heat all together. Later in my journey I went back to sew in’s as a protective style once I had armed myself with information on how to properly care for my hair, no matter what style it was in.

Now that I’m natural i can admit out loud that my transition was EAAASSSYYY BREEZZZYYY! No breakage what so ever! My two textures got along just fine! and my protective styling kept my hair tucked away for 2–3 months at a time so that I maximized growth retention.

I’m content! I’ve never been as pleased with myself as I am now! The anguish and anxiety that my damaged hair caused me have subsided and I’m in love with my hair! I’ve even embraced its lack of length lol.

What’s your regimen?
My regimen goes as follows:
* Co wash once a week with VO5 moisture milks conditioner
*Deep condition once a week with Queen Helene’s Cholesterol
* On wash days I pre poo with extra virgin olive oil and shampoo with clarifying shampoo that I dilute in a spray bottle with 50% water and 25% conditioner.
* Apply my leave in conditioner, Kinky Curl Knot Today, and a little castor oil and tie my hair down and let air dry overnight.

How do you retain length?
I’ll admit. I’m a girl very much into glam and it’s rare that I’ll sacrifice that desire lol. So with that in mind I continue to use sew ins as my protective style now that I know how to properly care of my hair underneath. They keep me presentable, and keep my hair tucked away and off my mind. Other wise I’d be co-washing and manipulating daily (serious hand in hair syndrome lol)

What mistakes have you made with your hair that you’ve learned from?
N:
I’m a person that takes calculated risks. I don’t sign up for anything I feel I cant win. This mentality hasn’t allowed me many (if any) mistakes thus far. I like to keep things simple so I often resort back to practices and things that I know worked for me in the past.

What’s the best/most effective thing you do for your hair?
N:
Moisturizing my hair. I’m not afraid to ruin a style by jumping in the shower lol. I only go a couple day at a time without doing so.

Is there a blog/webpage where we can find you?
N:

Anything you want to add?
N:
The tangible part of my journey was easy. The mental part, however, required alot of attention. In the beginning of my journey I felt I had so many flaws working against me and that having no hair and/or natural nappy hair would only highlight them. No more weaves to hide behind. I was terrified! I’m sooo grateful for the natural community online on both blogs and Youtube that help me reprogram my perception of beauty. I’m elated to be able to finally contribute by sharing my experience. THANK YOU for allowing me to do so!!!

Q
Q

While you are hair is a sew-in, how do you properly care for your hair underneath?

MissHaneefa
MissHaneefa

It keeps me presentable…” hmmmmmmm. I’ll leave this one alone.

freeyourheart

i liked your addition about this being a mental journey because people (especially transitioners and new naturals) forget this part. going natural has forced me to open my ideal of beauty. yes. it may not be for me, but does that make it ugly? or wrong? and YT and blogs (along with twitter and my natural hair salon) aided in that journey.

and p.s.: girl, that striped dress… is that h&m? it is super cute!

Anon
Anon

yes miss haneefa, they keep HER presentable. Not you. HER choice. not YOURS.

luvmylocs
luvmylocs

you have beautiful skin!!!

mangomadness
mangomadness

You have pretty hair, nice sense of style. It’s good that you know its a mental journey as well. Good luck on your journey! 🙂

Amma Mama
Amma Mama

You better get it !
So cute!

Deandra

you are soooooo GORGEOUS…from hair to heel =)

ElectricFeel
ElectricFeel

GORGEOUS!

candice
candice

why is it a big deal if she said that. I think we as black women shouldn’t let every single last thing be a problem, and the use of the word “presentable” is not a big deal IMO

jadedpoet
jadedpoet

Girl your skin is bootiful!! Your working those dresses too and I love your hair but your skin made me stop and type LOL.

brunettefury
brunettefury

I think we’re hair twins, except I had tons of breakage while transitioning (and still have issues with that :().

I wish I had just BCed/shaved my head…my hair would be even healthier and more even.

JasmineZakiya
JasmineZakiya

Beautiful hair, wonderful perspective, and that necklace in the third picture down is BOMB. 🙂 Do u mind telling where u got it from? 😀 Also, I wear weaves (sew in weaves) as a protective style as well and it really works for me! I think learning to maintain healthy hair, and mastering the the mental part of this is the MOST important part. After all what this movement… is movement too strong/gimmicky of a word? lets go with effort 🙂 …effort is all about is all about is getting black women to a place of self appreciation. Self acceptance. After that is… Read more »

Cherie

Very pretty girl, beautiful hair

Miss P
Miss P

Beautiful hair! And I love these necklaces!! Gorgeous!

helga crane
helga crane

Pretty girl, pretty hair, cute clothes!!

Gabby
Gabby

Love your natural hair AND weaves Nicole!
Hmm … I don’t see anything wrong with wanting to be presentable every day …
Thanks for sharing lady!

thelady
thelady

beautiful puff

Nicole
Nicole

Thanks guys for all the positive feedback and compliments!!! I was so excited to be asked to share my story! Lol ha!@ jadedpoet @Q I’m extremely patient with my hair so i don’t mind the tedious efforts it takes to properly care for my hair whilst in a sew in. I wash weekly using products that i diluted with water and apply row by row using a spray bottle. When i DC i just slather it on my scalp and the tracks so it penetrates the braids. Again very time consuming but well worth it since i had absolutely no breakage… Read more »

Rosie
Rosie

Ain’t nothing like a Brooklyn Girl!!! lol
Sorry this has nothing to do with hair but is that your apt in the background? i love it, and looking for a new place… it looks very modern

Khambria

I’m just now seeing this! Go Nicole! lol

Queenof D.C.
Queenof D.C.

So pretty the hair is gorgeous, I love the coils reminds me of mines. I so feel u on the hair hand syndrome, I cannot keep my hand out of my hair. Luckily I wrap my hair for religious modest reasons, if I didn’t I think that I wouldn’t have any hair cause my hand would be in it 24hr, in fact before I was wrapping my hair on a daily basis, I would play in my hair and I know that it broke off because of that, in addition to it being out all the time, the style like… Read more »