How has your regimen changed as your hair has grown?

Avatar • Nov 21, 2010

Reader Marsha says;

I could really use some help. My question is… How has your hair regimen changed as your hair has grown?

My hair is currently brushing the middle of my back stretched. The last time it was this long I had a friend cut it to two inches because I was so frustrated with detangling and styling. I don’t want to do that again, but I’m starting to dread hair washing days. The problem is that I don’t have the patience to put in twists because I can never keep them longer than a few days. I really don’t like to spend more than a half hour on my hair. I wash my hair in sections, I keep it stretched to try and control the tangling, and only comb it wet with conditioner. These methods worked when my hair was short, but no longer!

Is it impossible to want to keep bra-strap length hair loose and untangled? Are some hair textures not meant to be kept long and loose?

Alright ladies, what are your thoughts? How has your regimen changed as your hair has grown longer and thicker?

tess
tess

I recently found out aloe vera gel is GREAT for detangling. You can use it on dry hair and it makes your hair super soft and SUPER easy to comb/brush. I think putting your hair in a half up hair style will give you what you want.

Nikki
Nikki
Reply to  tess

I 2nd the ALOE GEL!!! my hair is SUPER SUPER SUPER thick (4c prob 4d, lol) and aloe and water spritzed daily give my hair so much body and makes it SUPER easy to detangle. (My hair is arm pit length by the way

anonda
anonda

Agree with Tess- try dry detangling! I do it with fingers only. When my hair was shorter the soaking wet thing worked, but I find now it just pulls out too much hair. I’m not a big tangle problem person, but I sometimes have a minor problem with tangles on my ends after wearing twists. I think a good leave in would help too.My quick stylesis damp flat twists (no more than 12) and the ends either set on rods or bantu knotted. I sit under the dryer for 30 minutes then let it air dry for the rest of… Read more »

mixed beans
mixed beans

i have recently started finger detangling on dry hair prior to washing. I do it the night before shampooing, i saturate my hair (in sections, like 6) with coconut oil, finger detangle each (sometimes i might add a bit of conditioner with good slip) whilst i watch TV or something, then twist/braid each section. I find that washing is a bit easier the next day. After washing, i twist the hair back into 6 big twists and let dry and stretch, then style as i want the next day. ALternatively (this is my new routine), i wear a wash and go… Read more »

Anonymous
Anonymous

One my hair got past 6–7 inches, I started stretching it via braid outs and wearing updos most of the time. This cut down on the tangles and made my weekly detangling sessions easier.

Ruth
Ruth

i’ve realized that as my hair has grown, so have the tangles. i also get these single strand knots that just drive me crazy! any one have any tips for this?

sonia
sonia
Reply to  Ruth

Oh my gosh u call that single strand knots? Those cause my strands to break off… i was wondering why that happens… If anyone has a solution, Im also waiting 🙂

Jennifer

I look forward to seeing the comments on this blog, because I didn’t realize that our hair needs different things as it grows.

I used to able to use Suave’s Coconut conditioner when I had a TWA. Worked great to keep my hair moisturized.

Now that my hair is a much fuller ‘fro, I went back to Suave and found it woefully inadequate. Does hair just grow out of it?

~jennifer.

Dee
Dee

beautiful model!! I am a little passes 6″ and sometimes i get tired of sectioning although thats the method that worked wonders for me when my hair was shorter. I dont have a major prob w/ detangling yet but i am not looking forward to it once my hair gets longer. The best thing to do it detangle well the do a style that will last till the next wash day, for example I do twists, then a few days b4 my wash day i do twist out. As far as 30 mins on hair thats all a matter of… Read more »

luvmylocs
luvmylocs

this is my biggest challenge. my hair is very dry, kinky, tightly coiled 4a/b hair. it looks hot when styled but styling is SUCH a challenge. i do not have wash and go hair. twist outs look best. a puff is cute but too many days of a puff and i will get matting. the last time i had longer hair i loc’d it for near 6 years. i really want long, loose hair. i’ll be just as curious as the author of this post to see the replies. thanks ladies!

wearylove
Reply to  luvmylocs

I have the same issue luvmylocs is having. I have been natural for three years but recently cut my hair after pressing it for so long that my ends were still straight after washing. I have a very hard time styling my hair because most products are for naturally curly hair but my hair is tight and coils like 4a/4b. Any suggestions for short hair regimens for that curl pattern?

Anon
Anon

I really think that keeping your ends healthy and trimmed matters a lot at this point, because the hair on the ends is really old. A good trim does wonders sometimes if you are having issues with tangled ends. It improves the degree to which my hair holds styles, and I feel as if the results of styling are more reliable. My hair likes nice blunt ends, and even without obvious split ends, whenever I see things getting out of hand, it’s time to schedule a cut.

A Simple Thing

As my hair has grown, I’ve realised I need richer products — my ends are far more porous than they were a while ago, so they need something a bit heavier, as well as a bit more protein (though my hair is fine and pretty protein hungry anyway). And when I discovered dry detangling and finger combing — godsend! Wet detangling literally ripped my hair out. It means less time in the shower too! I could get away with sleeping loose and without a scarf before — but trying to do that now will ensure I suffer muchly. I know… Read more »

Monisola
Monisola

If your hair is to a length where you can no longer devote the time to maintain it, you MIGHT want to consider discontinuing your journey to longer hair. Just maintain the length you have now…don’t do so many things that promote length retention, and keep cutting it back to this current length. Maybe this is as far as you can go with the length and still have nice hair that suits you and fits well into your lifestyle. Personally, as my hair grows, I keep it stretched, and in low manipulation (AND QUICK TO PUT IN!!) protective styles: Updos… Read more »

Ain't I an African
Ain't I an African

I have locs and am now realizing to my great regret that I concentrate more on the hair near the scalp and less on the hair below my shoulders. This has led to weakened ends and breakage. So I would say give the same TLC to all of your hair.

Moni
Moni

My hair is between shoulder and mid-back length and my routine is similar to Monisola. Night before wash: Apply coconut (or vatika) oil and deep conditioner of choice to a section, detangle and remove shed hair, then braid. I’ll end up with 8–14 braids overall. Wash day: Wash in braids. Apply and rinse out a light conditioner and/or oil rinse after shampooing. Finish with an acv rinse. Then I’ll undo each braid individually (with the rest under a plastic cap to keep them moist) and apply leave-in conditioner, moisturize and seal. Pull braids back into a bun to dry. During the… Read more »

iri9109

@jen when i had a TWA i liked suave too, but when my hair started to grow out more , i tried it again and was like “what is this watery mess?” lol it just wasnt thick enough for me anymore…and thats when i found my love aussie moist lol

Ain't I an African
Ain't I an African

@ Moni: So it’s OK to leave in a conditioner overnight? Plus doesn’t it feel kinda damp and wet your pillow?? Anywhoo, I’ve been meaning to experiment with leaving in conditioner longer (or even using it as a leave in) so I’m curious to know what other natural’s take on this is.

Alisa

I was thinking about this yesterday! My mom permed my hair when I was 5 so I’d never really had to deal with my hair til now that I’m natural. I’ve only been natural for about 9 months but in the last 3 I’ve really started to notice the length…I used to be able to wash and go everyday but now my 4b hair will have no parts of that! I HAVE to detangle and wash in sections. Also pre-pooing (with lots of oil and a bag) over night has really helped with detangling. It’s barely shoulder length stretched and… Read more »

Moni
Moni

@Aint I African: It’s definitely ok to condition overnight. I love it because I can do everything in the shower at once instead of having to rewer my hair to rinse out the DC after washing. I use creamier DC’s (current fav is lekair mango cholesterol), so it doesn’t get very “wet” in the first place and is usually dry by the time I am ready for bed. Usually I just wear my usual scarf or cap (since I wash them on wash day anyway) but sometimes I’ll baggy with either a sandwich bag (ends only) or plastic cap (entire… Read more »

LaRoja313
LaRoja313

As my hair has gotten longer the less I do to it. Before I was constantly trying different products and using all sorts of concoctions. Now its twist at night, usually some sort of ___out style and detangled and washed in braids once a week. A change for me is straightening which I do maybe once a month if that. The longest part of my hair is just at BSL now.

Dani
Dani

The model is very pretty and I love how she is wearing her headband.

sarah
sarah

as my hair has gotten longer, i realize i need less curl definers. the weight of my hair now allows the curls to find each other so i need less gels/creams to get the look i want. i also detangle in sections, whereas i scoffed at it with a TWA.

Jaz
Jaz

trying to keep your hair long and not wanting to spend time on it is not going to work. I see a lot of people with a certain hair length goal just cut their hair off out of frustration, which I don’t get. You should expect it to take a long time, and decide if thats something you want to deal with ahead of time.

Bitty Boss

When my hair was nape length, I used to wash it loose, moisturize with trader joes nourish spa, and seal with vatika oil.

Now that my hair is shoulder length, it needs more product and protection. I now moisturize with Darcy’s Botanicals Transitioning creme and seal with a bit of castor oil.

dajewel
dajewel

i have noticed pre-pooing with castor oil and evoo, washing with cleanser that has cetearyl alcohol and behentrimonium methosulfate at as the first couple of ingredients, and oil rinising with a thick oil (like evoo or castor oil) has helped with detangling my hair as its gotten longer.

Marsha
Marsha

Thank you so much for all of the detailed responses! And thank you @Alisa! We’ll definitely have to call it growing pains! I’m going to have to try dry detangling because at this point I’m amazed I have any hair on my head when I finish detangling wet in sections. I guess I’m going to have to make more adjustments. I’ve worn my hair really short a few times and I’ve done long, but I don’t like my hair when it is in the middle lengths (6 inches or so). It’s my fault, but all I did then was wear… Read more »

Adriii
Adriii

I find that raw shea butter keeps curls separate, so that I have less tangling/knotting/dreading. To get better coverage around my head, I whipped raw shea butter, coconut oil, olive oil, and Aubrey Organics GPB conditioner to make a light weight moisturizer that covers every strand.

I start out washing with conditioner detangling and always do so in a shower (b/c bending my head over a sink results in more tangling, I notice). Then, add shea butter and let it dry. Then add the mixture to my hair every day. Hope that helps/works!

A.G.
A.G.

My hair is passed armpit length and approaching BSL. I can only detangle on shampoo/conditioning days while in the shower, I wash in sections and use claw clips, braider told me my hair was too long for human hair braids AND i can only get symthetic braiding hair for protective styles but that’s fine because it lasts longer anyway. I don’t like keeping it in it’s shruken state because i fear it will be difficult to comb. I usually blow it out or keep it in twists. You have to have a lot of patience when it comes to long… Read more »