Amahnee // Natural Hair Style Icon

Avatar • Nov 18, 2010

Where do you live?
A:
Right now I’m in Toronto, Canada attending university. I was born in this city and may be stuck here for a while but I live my life in the Caribbean: Antigua! It’s the only home I know and the only one I want.
I’ll just say I’m a creative soul aspiring to many things. I’ve done playwrighting, poetry, spoken word and related performances. I also dabble in art and photography but it’s nothing serious.

Why did you go natural?
A:
Actually I’ve never not been natural, none of the women in my family have ever had a relaxer. I feel blessed to have had a mother that felt acceptance of self was so important but still, mommy didn’t exactly help me out with the hair care. So with this new wave of nappturality I was able to learn so much information that I didn’t know before. My hair’s always been kinky but I feel like my true journey is only just starting.

I spent my childhood in love with scissors and with no patience for knots. High school was really hard for me because I was one of very few natural haired girls in class and my texture wasn’t considered ‘nice’
anyway. I ended up giving into peer pressure at one point, started ironing my hair myself and ended up with unbelievably burnt up follicles. It was terrible. It took about two years for it to bounce back and then
I had locs for about a year of university. Then I missed my loose hair and ended up combing them out after cutting a few inches.

Being natural has had it’s ups and downs. When I was younger there were times it didn’t phase me at all but then there were the moments I thought I’d never be considered pretty because of it. I thought my hair
would never grow — and so what? Slowly I started to realize that the physical body is just an extension of the spiritual self and that I really needed to look within and be comfortable with what I saw there and then
the other things would follow. Satisfying a craving for enlightenment lead to me wanting to take better care of myself as a whole. I didn’t need to be fixed, just fulfilled.

What’s your regimen?
A:
I don’t do a lot and I don’t really have any brand loyalties. When I had locs I washed my hair once a week but then it was easy. Now I do it every two weeks and hold out for three weeks if I can manage. I just really really hate washing and all the wetness. I use Creme of Nature shampoo currently.
I moisture condition (every time I wash) with a Live Clean brand I found at Shoppers Drugmart. It has all natural ingredients. I protein condition (when I feel like) with Nature’s Gate Biotin Strengthener. I found it at a natural food store and it literally has amino acids listed in the ingredients. I just thought that was so cool.
I steal my sister’s Herbal Essences conditioner if I need to detangle or need a mid week boost in moisture. I spritz with water when it crosses my mind.

I use oils like coconut, castor, almond and jojoba. I use peppermint and rosemary essential oils. And I drink vitamins!

What mistakes have you made with your hair that you’ve learned from?
A:
Don’t use heat anymore, except during the summer when I blow dry once or twice to try to beat the Caribbean humidity and style off for carnival. I don’t moisturize enough. My hair gets really dry in this cold weather and I know I should double up but I just can’t be bothered. It’ll be my New Year’s resolution.

What’s the best/most effective thing you do for your hair?
A:
Getting informed. Reading blogs and checking out YouTube. It opened up a whole new world yo. I haven’t combed my hair in almost two months. I just use my fingers. My hair’s in twists a lot now it’s winter anyway so I just wash my hair with them in, finger comb and then twist my hair back.

Is there a blog/webpage where we can find you?
A: I be all over the interwebs:

Bitty Boss

Hello hairtwin! I love the updo style with the puff in the front. Your hair looks like it has been florishing with the absence of heat. So lush!

Shones

Ahhh, so nice to hear of these carefree regimens. I’m embracing them wholeheartedly. Your hair is thick! I find it both fascinating and fantastic that none of the women in your family have used relaxers.

Danielle Monifa
Danielle Monifa

Ahh, finally. A Toronto Natural chica :D. Love your hair and the carefree regimen!

showtime
showtime

I love Live Clean especially their shampoo with argan oil.

Krys
Krys

I need a little bit more length to obtain the style in the second picture. I love it. Her hair is gorgeous! Good interview.

Ri
Ri

Wadadli pride!

thelady
thelady

beautiful hair

Okay
Okay

These features like this are getting slightly redundant. Can we mix it up a bit? Different questions, varations in hairstyles (like Cesars or locks), a different spin, sumthin’.

Dee
Dee

Beautiful sista, gorgeous hair!!

Ruth
Ruth

LOVE the second hairstyle. I hope I can find a tutorial on her YT channel!!! *crosses fingers*

Ruth
Ruth

oh wait, she doesnt have a YT. *pouts*

trackback

[…] This post was mentioned on Twitter by QueenBee, Black Girl Long Hair. Black Girl Long Hair said: Amahnee. Click for her hair story & regimen http://bit.ly/bEkrFH #naturalhair […]

Patricia Kayden
Patricia Kayden

Interesting that her whole family is natural and that she’s always been natural — hardly meet any such BW.

Bee
Bee

Gorgeous hair, and I love the Live Clean line too! I think there’s a handful of us Toronto Naturals on here…we should do a meet-up!

Amber
Amber

Now I do it every two weeks and hold out for three weeks if I can manage. I just really really hate washing and all the wetness”

Same here! My hair shrinks so much and washing can be a pain sometimes…sigh* I love your up-dos!

MimiW
MimiW

Finally! A lady with texture I can relate to…I’m sorry but when I hear ladies bemoaning their hair and texture and then see pictures I’m at a lost to the reason for their difficulties. This is real natural hair! Love the Caribbean/Toronto background — I share that as well. Similarly to you, growing up I never thought of my self as having ‘natural hair’…just hair. I really do think Black America is in crisis, but thankfully to sites like this they are awakening to a deepened sense of self that quite frankly we in the Caribbean have had for centuries.… Read more »

mangomadness
mangomadness

@Amahnee: You have such pretty hair! I’m digging the hairstyle in second pic. How’d you do it?

@MimiW: What do you mean by “real” natural hair? By extensition, What is “fake” natural hair?

anagirldee
anagirldee

antigua! nice to see someone else from anu on here. wadadli massive! ok now i got that out of the way, you and your hair look lovely!

motionLive

what a be-Utiful woman!!!

trackback

[…] exclusive interview on www.bglhonline.com. […]