Mississippi High School Student Banned From Homecoming Because Of Locs

Avatar • Sep 23, 2010

Watch the video for the full story:

What are your thoughts?

keish1
keish1

Outrageous! How is that a “practice” when the students don’t know about it and it’s not in the handbook? Sounds like someone is making it up as they go. **get a clue Mississippi**

Margaret

Wow! I think it’s a shame that things like this are still going on TODAY! It’s sad really!

Ashleigh L.A.
Ashleigh L.A.

Wow. Just wow. That is discrimination and it is profiling. Plain and simple. How are locs not of a “higher standard”?

thelady
thelady

this is ridiculous

Michelle
Michelle

Uhmm..this is Mississippi you’re talking about. It amazes me that they would even think about locs and the fact that 70% of people there are overweight. There are truly issues there that demand their attention other than hair.

Amanda
Amanda

Things like this are the reason I am sometimes ashamed that I am from the south. I was born and raised in Mississippi. THE PRINCIPAL is BLACK! I’d really like to know the definition of “of a higher standard”

curvycurl
curvycurl

for some reason…I would bet good money that the principle is black…I hope someone tells me im wrong.

Khyla
Khyla

Oh my.…my home state. I am not suprised. I don’t see what the big deal is. So if a girl has micros, can she not be on the court? If you hair is longer than 8 inches, can you not be on the court? If it isn’t written, then it ain’t official. Forget a “practice”! Leila, I’m posting this on my FB…hope you don’t mind.

abbw
abbw

Wth michelle? Those are two separate issues.

Yes, Mississippi is, statistically, one of the unhealthiest states; I would add cholesterol, heart attack, and exercise statistics (to begin with) because weight alone — even obesity — is not one from which it is possible to gain a full picture of health.

That said, how is that even related to loccing? Even *if* a person is (according to your definition) “lacking” in one area, why would that mean that person can’t change in some other aspect?

Michelle

What’s next. If your hair is nappy you can’t be on the court. This is horrible.

EbonyLolita

It’s sad to me the some states are behind the times. This shows how “folks” take a stance against the wrong things. Dreadlocks are regal, IMHO, and he has the right to wear his hair as he sees fit. I also feel like the least they could do is GIVE HIS $$$ BACK. I’m sure they will not amend the rules so the least is he gets a refund. Mississippi is the same state that allowed proms to be segregated so this does not surprise me. Neither is it a surprise that the principal is Black. The black race has… Read more »

Michelle
Michelle

@abbw..I only posted the overweight issue because it is just ironic that so many of the people there are so fat..and I don’t mean 20 or 30 or even 50 pounds overweight either. I’m sorry if I believe obesity is unattractive. My point is that how can you worry so much about hair in regards to appearance and not the appearance of your body, which is far more important, in my book. I am not shocked that the ban happened in MS because it seems like some, not all, of the people there love to keep the whole culture of… Read more »

trackback

[…] This post was mentioned on Twitter by deka daye and Jaime Jamison, Black Girl Long Hair. Black Girl Long Hair said: Video of the day: Mississippi teen banned from homecoming because of locs http://bit.ly/alF3Y3 #naturalhair […]

Jerica
Jerica

Why is everybody being so harsh because this happened in Mississippi? This could have happened anywhere!

sachab28
sachab28

The mother should get a lawyer. I think once the school hears LAWSUIT the principal will change his/her mind.

Sheila
Sheila

Once again, we parents are letting a school system decide how our children view and feel comfortable about themselves…Is the school really trying to instill the message that only one type of look is acceptable? Natural beauty is just as valid as the “so-called” socially accepted views of beauty (i.e. European)… If the school systems would worry more about education and stopping bullying then perhaps our students would be better served. (I wonder if natural hair is allowed at all for the girls who made Homecoming?)