Norrell // Natural Hair Style Icon

Avatar • Aug 24, 2010

Where do you live?
N:
I currently live in Manhattan, New York. I rep New Rochelle NY, which is like 30 minutes from NYC. I’m a sophomore at the Macaulay Honors College at Hunter College.

Why did you go natural?
N:
My mom has been natural for many years and heavily influenced my decision to go natural. I had pretty decent hair length while my hair was permed, but I was afraid my hair would eventually become scraggly and thin. I had always wanted really long hair, like past bra strap length, and it seemed like the best way to achieve that would be to cut out the chemicals.

My sophomore year of high school (I’m approaching my 4 years anniversary, yay!) I stopped using the creamy crack. I just went cold turkey. For a few months I did a wash and go sort of wavy look, and when my roots began to get too thick, I just rocked twists until I was ready to chop off the permed ends.

Going natural has been one of the best decisions in my life. By the end of high school I became known as that chick with “the hair.” No one else was really rocking natural hair, or if they were it was always pressed or in braids. I pretty much thrive on twist outs lol.

My hair was always standing out from the crowd. It’s really improved my confidence and over all happiness with myself.

It’s funny when I first went natural I got a mixture of negative and positive comments. Now I can’t remember the last time someone said anything negative to me about my hair. All I can hope is that going natural hasn’t only improved my confidence, but also the female black community. I want black girls to see me and feel like hey, I could wear my hair natural too.

What’s your regimen?
N:
Oh man, regimen. I never really had a regimen but since looking at this blog I’m trying to start one. For the past two months and hopefully deep into the future, I’ve been washing my hair about every two weeks with Shea Moisture ( you can find this at Target!) shampoo. Generally after every wash I condition with whatever conditioner I have around, which is often Kinky Curly.

Once a month I deep condition; I usually just wear a shower cap and let the conditioner soak in for an hour or two. I used to twist my hair religiously every night before bed, and wear it out in the morning, but now I twist it a few times (like 2 to 3) a week. Right now I’m using Shea Moisture Coconut Hibiscus Curling Souffle or their style milk. If I run out of that I twist with avocado oil or jojoba oil or whatever is around really. My hair seems to twist out no matter what I use, I guess because it’s so used to it, lol.

How do you retain length?
N:
I’m not even sure. I guess keeping my hair moisturized helps it to grow. I have never really had a problem obtaining length, but right now I’m really trying to focus on making my hair more healthy.

What mistakes have you made with your hair that you’ve learned from?
N:
I’m still trying to recover from my trimming problems. No one really told me that trimming is still important when you’re natural, so it took me like 2 years to realize I needed to trim my hair, lol. I’m still trying to trim more regularly to cut down on split ends and single stranded knots and get rid of scragglies. My hair seems to grow fast and my every-six-months occasional trim really isn’t cutting it anymore. Also not using products that cause so much build up is an important lesson I have learned.

What’s the best/most effective thing you do for your hair?
N:
I think my hair loves to be twisted. I’ve read that some people think that leaving your hair alone can be better. My hair is so extremely dense and quick to dry out, that twisting is the best way to infuse moisture into it. Since I really don’t have the time, at the moment, to wash my hair more frequently, I think my hair needs to be twisted to help with necessary shedding.

BrownSugahChild

Your hair is absolutely beautiful!!!! I’ve been natural almost 7 years and I’ve just started doing protective styles like twist. Twisting it gets a little tiring at times and i’ve resorted back to weaves to retain length.
I live in Houston, Tx so when I hear all of my northern chicks talk about Target and all of the wonderful natural products they sell i get a little jealous!! lol!!!

Rae
Rae

You are gorgeous!!!! Your hair is very, very pretty.

@ BrownSugahChild
I’m in Houston as well (Missouri City), but the Target in Missouri City has quite a few natural hair care lines in their store. It’s located on Hwy 6 and Murphy Rd/1092. I know our city is big and it may be a long way from you, but the Target out there sells Shea Moisture, Miss Jessie’s, and Jane Carter.

vonnie
thelady
thelady

hair twins!

I also think doing twists or braid out is the best way to infuse my hair with moisturizers. Now that my hair is longer my wash n goes just result in dry hair and build up on my scalp.

Amber
Amber

I’m a big fan of the Shea Moisture collection too! I haven’t tried the hair milk yet, I’ll have to check that out.

Sabrina
Sabrina

I love twist and I too think my hair thrives best when twisted. I can’t wait to get that big hair! Beautiful!!!

Miss Malorie

I love your hair! And I love that you don’t have that much of a regimen because I don’t either lol.

Sherica

beautiful head of hair!

BrownSugahChild

Thanks Rae, i’m going to have to just get my truck gassed up and head that way!!!!! lol!!!!!

Sherica

I actually am unable to achieve the perfect twist out. Usually only braidouts look defined in my hair, but I’d really like to try a twistout. Any suggestions?

Sherese

Your hair is so beautiful! And yay, you’re a Macaulay Honors Student too! I am a junior at Baruch!

MommieDearest
MommieDearest

Love love LOVE the hair in that first picture! That’s what I call a lush fro. PERFECTION.

farriah
farriah

I absoulutely LOVE your hair and yours is probably the profile I have identified with most in terms of not really having a regimen, washing every couple weeks and living off the twist out.…Ive tried wash n go a couple times but never really liked it as the day progressed, my twist outs however.…have never steered me wrong! will have to check target for that product line

Norrell
Norrell

Thank you so much for all the love!
@ Sherica for the first year that I was natural I used miss jessies products, like her butter cream, for twist outs. I found they were wonderful for getting definition. The only reason i stopped using the products is because they can cause build up. I might just be a little heavy handed with products lol. Also I like to twirl my ends. I think it helps to keep them from looking bushy and giving a better over all curl, wave.

MzMorningGlory
MzMorningGlory

OMG — your hair is TOOOOOOO awesome for words!!!! Just gorgeous!!! I love the fullness and curl definition!!! Looks so strong and healthy!!!! Work it!!!!! 🙂

Sherica
Sherica

Thanks Norrell! I’ve wanted to try Miss Jessie’s products but never got around to it. Do you think Kinky Curly curling custard would give similar results. It works wonders in my hair!!!

luvmylocs
luvmylocs

you have beautiful hair but the thing i noticed first was your beautiful skin!! do you have any secrets you can share about your skincare?

Valencia
Valencia

I think you have impressed everyone today!! GORGEOUS!!

Norrell
Norrell

@ Sherica: I have used kinky curly curling custard and gotten pretty decent results. By the time I started using it my hair was trained on twist outs, so I’m not sure if I got good results because my hair will do a good twist out with anything even just water lol. but i think it would def still be a good product for you to start out with. If you use their shampoo and really comb it through your, (or at least this worked for my mother and I) it’ll show your hair’s distinct curl pattern. If you do… Read more »

Norrell
Norrell

@luvmylocks: thank you! I really don’t do anything special for my skin. I’ve always just used whatever products my mom has passed on to me. I used to use aveda face moisturizer and lotion just about every morning. Now I’m using some products from murad. Generally I just keep it simple to some facial soap and lotion, or just plain water. I also think drinking a lot of water is always important too.

luvmylocs
luvmylocs

thanks for sharing your tips and the good reminder about water which i definitely try to consume a lot of.

Kristen