Sherica // Natural Hair Style Icon

Avatar • Jul 27, 2010

Where do you live?
S:
I’m originally from Broward County, Florida but I now live in Sarasota County. I am currently a student enrolled at Edison State College where I’ll be graduating with an Associates in General Education at the end of the year. I will then attend the University of South Florida for my Bachelors in Biology, starting in Spring 2011.

Why did you go natural?
S:
Well I’ve actually been natural for all 22 years of my life. I’ve just recently become more knowledgeable on how to embrace, understand, and nourish my kinky mane. My mom decided not to use chemicals in our hair when we were kids because she didn’t want to alter our hair while we were young, and have us grow up to regret it later on. I love my mommy!

I’ve always had to deal with men and women (mainly women) ignorant as to why a black woman would leave her hair in its natural state and actually be proud. That sometimes leads people to come out and say rude things to me about my hair; Why dont you get a perm? You should press your hair more often? I could never keep my hair nappy like that! Ugh whatever, different strokes for different folks.

When I was child I used whatever was put it in my hair; from Johnson and Johnson’s ultra sheen blue hairdress to Doo Gro (basically anything that was action packed with petroleum, ugh). But earlier this year, my big sister started researching websites that supported natural hair and its maintenance and it just completely inspired her to be open and more excepting about her own natural state. Of course, with us being so close she started to share her newfound interest in natural hair with me and that’s where my infatuation came in, lol. I take much better care of my hair now than I ever had in the past, and as a result my hair is healthier, stronger and more manageable.

What’s your regimen?
S:
I wash my hair once every 2 weeks and keep it moisturized by spirtzing in water then adding a mixture of cantu shea butter, castor oil, and glycerin, (my creamy crack). While paying the most attention to my ends, this creamy mixture keeps my hair nice and soft when I wear my fro throughout the day in this dry and humid Florida weather. I try to deep condition whenever I wash my hair and I trim my ends every 3 months.

My products are

What mistakes have you made with your hair that you’ve learned from?
S:
Too much combing, styling and messing with the hair constantly is no good. The less manipulation the better. Also neeeeever leave Jam, gel, or bees wax in your hair for over a day. It will break your hair off and leave you with Naomi Campbell edges in a minute! So wash it out by the end of the day just to be on the safe side.

What’s the best/most effective thing you do for your hair?
S:
Keeping it moisturized. Elasticity is the #1 way to longer and stronger hair.

Is there a blog/webpage where we can find you?
S:

Latoya

Your hair gorgeous! I recently bought Cantu Shea Butter Leave-In Conditioner. I hesitated to open it, because I heard that it leaves little balls in your hair. Have you found that to be true?

Shones

Beautiful! It’s great to hear about so many moms who are encouraging their children to stay natural from the start. This seems to be coming up more frequently in various blog posts.

curly+kinky+fierce
curly+kinky+fierce

Sherica…your hair is stupid fly.…..so..in that first and last pic..how is your hair? Is that a twist out? or just your fro? pls tell..

And Latoya…I have Cantu and just revisited it lastnite…it has never left white balls in my hair..(apply it to wet/damp hair..never dry) i actually love it! my hair is so soft…but it does seem to take longer to dry than my regular shea butter…so my twist out is jacked this morning..which resulted in a puff ;o)

Latoya

Thank you curly+kinky+fierce. I’ll give it a try. I was considering returning it when I heard that. I was shaming myself for being such a product junkie.

Lauren Lionheart

Sherica, your hair is stunning! And it’s nice to hear a story of “my mom went against the grain & I’m grateful” 🙂

Our hair is different, but I use a similar routine and have great success. Once you get there, natural always works best. You are totally proof of that! Thank you for sharing your story and your lovely locks with us.

Peace,
Lauren

bree'l
bree'l

I LOVE YOUR HAIR 🙂 .. the fullness is awesome && that style w/ the purple flower is super cute .

trackback

[…] This post was mentioned on Twitter by niki diddly d., Black Girl Long Hair. Black Girl Long Hair said: Hair icon today is Sherica from Florida http://bglhonline.com/2010/07/sherica/ #naturalhair […]

Daja
Daja

I always love hearing from people who have been natural since birth. I know tons of girls who have been natural since birth but know nothing about the natural online community or the different methods of managing their natural hair.

Taneica :-)

YAY! THAT’S MY SISTER! I’m so proud of you honey! You look awesome! Keep up the good work! The dolls get ’em every time ;-).…

Ms. Haiti 1982!
Ms. Haiti 1982!

Perfect fro textured hair.

Takeysha
Takeysha

ii LOVE your hair in the first pic…please say what you did to get your hair like that in the first pic..Is it a wash & go or a curly fro?!…whateva it is yo hair looks sooo FLY!!!

Sherica

Thank you for all your comments ladies, they’re all greatly appreciated! Latoya, I’ve never had the problem of Cantu forming white balls when added to my hair. Like Curly Kinky Fierce added, you apply it to wet hair for best results. In the last photo thats just my natural fro when moisturized with my sister’s ‘creamy crack” mixture. Keep in touch by visiting our blogsite and let me know if there’s anything you need a tutorial on. If you’d like bree’l I could do a tutorial of the doo with my purple flower for you ; ).

One Love, Sherica

Anonymous
Anonymous

Your hair is gorgeous (I should know — we’re hair twins!) You are right to attribute any negative comments to ignorance (probably jealousy and envy, too). Anyone who doesn’t find your hair stunning should have their follicles examined. Lol.

Meisha
Meisha

LOL @ “Naomi Campbell edges”! I get what you are saying though. Your hair is very full & beautiful! You go!

Elle

Wow! Your hair is gorge! And you’re a Floridian go ‘head! Lol. I swear people its hard to find another natural non loc’ed FL girl down here. We are living the capital of weave and hard as nails hair. If its not sewed in, its glued in (literally) or glued down by gel. I will definitely be checking out your blog!

Betty Chambers

She’s got great skin and hair. I think warmer climates are superb for our hair when we have the right ingredients.

I’ve always been hesitant to use glycerin because of the stickiness factor, but I like the results I’ve been seeing among some of the profiles here. I may start adding a little to my homemade mixes.

tnt_ftw
tnt_ftw

shoutout to florida natural girls

aiych
aiych

gorgeous hair and skin…i’m jealous! I use cantu leave in and apple cider vinegar as well, love em both.

thelady
thelady

your hair is glorious

anonymous
anonymous

Your hair is ridiculously gorgeous!!!! Is that a wash and go on the first picture? What did you use to style it? I love it!!!!

Wanett

I wanted to comment on your gorgeous skin as well as your hair! Amazing!

frizzygurl84
frizzygurl84

Chambers, I’ve heard to get glycerin to be less sticky and so that it won’t take the moisture out of your hair, to add equal part water to it. And I agree…warmer climates seem to be great for our hair. Depending on the style I’m going for, I don’t mind my hair being frizzy. I love this warm/humid weather.

She’s really rocking this. Skin, eyebrows, hair…gorgeous.

Betty Chambers

@frizzygurl84

Thank you for the tip(s). Much appreciated.

JustShe
JustShe

Your hair is wonderful and since I am a lover of cantu I will be trying your mixture. I would also like to know how you did the style with the flower in your hair. I might use that one for a wedding I am in. Keep up the good work. @ Latoya With the cantu you can get the little white balls if you use certain gels with it. I try to use it with Eco Styler gel and it turned my hair white, but it’s REALLY good though. I used it while i was relax through transitioning and now that… Read more »

Sherica

I just posted a brief tutorial on my blog as requested by Takeysha on how to achieve my curly fro featured in the first picture! Thanks again for all the comments, hope that you ladies stop by and show us some love!

One Love, Sherica

Kayla
Kayla

I microwave my deep conditioner for a short time, and apply it to my hair, as I don’t have a hooded dryer.

Tiffany

Love it.

Peace, Love and Chocolate
Tiffany

Amina

You have a beautiful head full of hair, nice and moisturized!

Ga.Mom
Ga.Mom

I love the story! And can you do a tutorial on the second pic?

Earthy Natural

Goooooo Bulls!! Alumni from USF (Fall 2008). Love your hair, continue to be ambitious and stay rocking your fierce hair!!

bree'l
bree'l

i would LOVE a tutorial on the purple flower style :))) !

Khambria

One time for Broward County!! lol Love your hair and you are absolutely beautiful!

Jettiemae
Jettiemae

OMG! Your hair is absolutely gorgeous!!!! You are working it! I’m off to go follow your blog now! :0)

vashti
vashti

Lovin ur hair im def gonna try ur creamy crack since ima fl girl 2 maybe it can cut down on some of my frizz that this humidity causes

vashti
vashti

Does anybody kno where I can buy glycerin?

Jen
Jen

You’re hair is gorgeous!! I’m from Broward County, and a USF alum. Best of luck to you!!

bella skin care

You need to be a part of a contest for one of the highest quality websites on the internet.
I am going to recommend this blog!