Mazeratie breaks down detangling, knots & protective styling…

Avatar • Jul 23, 2010

A few days ago Mazeratie (pictured above) was featured as a hair icon. A curious reader left a series of pointed questions, requesting further regimen details. Mazeratie responded with this email;

Reader: Does she not suffer from dryness esp. in summer when wearing her kinky/curly fro?
Mazeratie:
I was actually pretty lucky to find a product combination that literally keeps my hair soft and moisturized (for days sometimes) – even in dry, hot AZ.

Early on in my journey I started experimenting with mixing and I discovered glycerin. The only caveat was that because it was a humectant, it could actually dry out hair in non-humid climates b/c it would absorb and hold moisture from wherever it could be found. As I was reading, I saw that the “trick” to glycerin was to mix it with equal parts water so that it would be fully “saturated” and not need to absorb water from the hair strand. So I started using a spritz made of Aloe Vera Gel/Juice, Rosewater, and Vegetable Glycerin.

The Aloe Vera is a light protein that adds shine and curl definition, and the glycerin/rosewater work together to soften and moisturize. This is the magic bullet for me. Some similar consumer products are S‑curl or Stay Soft Fro. In addition I’ve made castor oil an integral part of my routine as a sealant. It is so thick and rich that I only need to use it once a week or so while styling and it will keep working for me the entire time. If it is too thick for you, consider diluting it with thinner oil like coconut, olive or jojoba.

R: Does she not get split ends or single strand knots from the puffs and fros?
M:
Because my hair is moisturized and sealed my hair truly doesn’t tangle that badly and the castor oil helps to protect my ends from wear and tear. It also stays soft and pliable so I don’t see breakage from brittleness. I actually have very few single strand knots, and I don’t get tons of splits either. I think the counterbalance to me wearing my hair out constantly is the fact that I don’t manipulate it, so I don’t have a ton of mechanical damage from styling. I almost never use heat or high tension styles either. But everyone’s hair is different, and this routine may not work for you.

R: Does detangling after wearing these out styles not take forever?
M:
Depends on your definition of forever. These pictures are all wash and go styles. Twists or braid outs may take a little longer to detangle because the hair is so clumped together. When I detangle my hair is in 4–6 sections. Sometimes I dampen with water or use Amla Oil to soften before detangling. I usually do it in the shower after deep conditioning.

After I rinse the deep conditioner, I apply a lighter co-wash conditioner and go to work. If I’m just finger combing it’ll be 15–20 minutes. With a wide-tooth comb it takes 20–30 minutes probably. Before straightening I detangle REALLY well. But I start with fingers, and then go over with a wide tooth comb, then a detangling comb and FINALLY a Denman, so the detangling is very gradual.

R: How did she grow her hair so long? Was it protective styling?
M:
When I was transitioning I wore protective styles 24/7. Once I became fully natural I pretty much stopped. I definitely believe that protective styling can help you retain length and reach your goals that much faster. I would recommend it, especially if you’ve reached a stalling point in your growth. However, my hair is SO thick that most protective styles seem like more work than they’re worth, although I might try braids or twists again for Fall.

I tried wearing twists for a while, but they took time to do and I missed my hair. Also, I felt like I had to put my hair through a lot of combing etc to put them in. So far it’s too thick to bun, but I haven’t tried wet bunning. My hair has been out 95% of the time since my big chop and it looks like I’ve retained length pretty well. I will keep an eye on it to see if it continues.

What are your thoughts on Mazeratie’s regimen breakdown? And how do you approach detangling, breakage and protective styling?

Tiffany

I have go to try that mix because depending on what I am using my hair gets incredibly dry.

Peace, Love and Chocolate
Tiffany

Latoya

Where is aloe vera gel sold?

vonnie

oh wow, what gorgeous hair! and I loved her replies, I’ll have to make a mixture of the aloe, rosewater, glycerin. Thanks so much for the answers 😀

trackback

[…] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Mazeratie Sweet, Black Girl Long Hair. Black Girl Long Hair said: Mazeratie breaks down detangling, knots and protective styling http://bit.ly/9TswIP #naturalhair […]

Cardenie

Very interesting. I’ve always questioned the whole mantra that protective styles are the only way to retain any length. I think it’s just one way. I know that for me, the tangles and knots I experience when taking down twists don’t seem to be worth it. It seems that protecting your ends with moisture and giving them as much protein as they need to stay strong is another way to keep length.

Jay
Jay

I love her regimine. I have been seeking ways to keep my hair moisturized so that I can wear my hair out more. I am currently in protective styles (twists, ends tucked in), but I would love to wear my hair out more… Thanks for the tips… I’m going to get mixing tonight!

thelady
thelady

I get my organic Aloe Vera Gel at a health food store but sometimes they have Aloe Vera at drug stores. Just make sure it is 99% natural

sarah
sarah

it’s cool to see that we pretty much have the same hair philosophy. i wear my hair mostly out and it’s really dense and thick. i always thought i was doing something wrong by not protective styling, even though i don’t get single strand knots and detangling is not too cumbersome. i guess i am on the right track.

Latoya, you can get aloe vera juice/gel from Whole Foods and Trader Joe.

Mazeratie

I use food grade Aloe Vera Juice from a health food store. I figure if it’s safe for me to drink, it’s safe to put on my hair and so far I haven’t been wrong. Also you can purchase it in much larger containers than the tubes of gel. My brand of choice is Lily of the Valley.

Oh — and for the mixture I keep this in a 8oz spray bottle. The measurements are not exact at all, I just pour till it looks right, but the breakdown would be about 3oz Aloe, 3oz Rosewater and 2oz Glycerin.

Megan
Megan

Where can you purchase rosewater from?

Yvette
Yvette

I’ve read that alot of people use rosewater as part of their spritz. What are the benefits of using that as opposed to regular water (which I prefer to get from a filter)?

Susan
Susan

Aloe vera juice mix seems popular, will have to try it. Where can I get rosewater?

CashmereCurls
CashmereCurls

Her regimen is kind of similar to mine except I wear my hair in twists during the humid, sticky NYC summers because its just easier for me. All other times of the year I wear my hair out. Anyone who is interested in trying the mixture that she mentioned should definitely give it a shot. I have been making my own aloe vera spray for a few months now with water and glycerin and it really keeps my hair soft for days or up to a week when I have my twists in. I use fresh aloe from the plant.… Read more »

TERELLE GREENE
TERELLE GREENE

HEY, I wear my fro most of the time also. I stop applying heat to my hair b/c it put a strain on my hair. I love to use Shea butter and jojoba oil time after time but I am going to have to put Aloe Vera and glycerin to some use. Thank you for sharing your regimen.

Elle
Elle

@ Latoya: the best deal I’ve found on aloe vera juice is @ walmart. A well known brand called Fruit of the Earth makes a 128 oz. jug for $7.99, compared to 32 oz sizes at Whole Foods starting at the same price, and it’s 100% natural.

Mazeratie

I buy my rosewater from an international market. They sell mostly ethnic items but I’ve also found it in local Indian Markets. Filtered water works well also, you can an a scented eo to make it smell nice. 🙂 I got the idea for using rosewater after I found out how great it was for the skin. It is a natural gentle antiseptic and can be used to fight wrinkles and acne. I figured it would be beneficial to my scalp. Also, it smells great, so my hair smells great, and when I started using it I noticed that my… Read more »

Cygnet

I confess, when I read the questions to which Mazeratie responded, I inferred that the person asking was thinking at the end of them, “… Because when I do what she does under similar circumstances, I get all the problems I asked about!” As do earlier respondents, I also appreciate reading Mazeratie’s answers to these questions, but I think it bears repeating, though you’d think most of us would get it by now: What works for one head of hair does not work for all heads of hair. So when someone tries all the things that many people recommend for moisture… Read more »

Dee
Dee

too bad i seem to be allergic to castor oil…smh…it makes my scalp itch soooo bad.
but it kept my hair moisturized. i just couldn’t deal with the itchy scalp.

Charnika

Thanks for sharing your regimen!

I’m currently transitioning (doing the BC in less than 2 weeks!), but I’m still going to buy these products to switch my regimen up a bit.

I love those who buy natural products and make their own concoctions instead of buying an expensive brand that promises to do the same things for our hair! Smart and economical. 🙂

Efuru
Efuru

I found myself nodding to everything she wrote, my regimen is similar and I’m retaining length without the worry and hassle of protective styling. Different heads, different methods I guess.

Elle
Elle

, the castor oil may have made your scalp itch bc it was sealing off your follicles. Most people use it as a sealant for their hair because of its thickness. If you avoid your scalp, I think you should be okay. Or you could even use it on just your ends.

Jade
Jade

I just bought Rosewater from Whole Foods! It smells so good! I think its perfect for someone like me who only desires to wash her hair every two weeks. And to be frank, my hair is not always smelling so fresh by wash day. So rosewater will hopefully help me to keep my hair smelling good.

Liyah
Liyah

Lovely Hair! I agree with Cygnet, what works for one does not necessarily work for another. I have used everything on the market and tried to copy so many naturals regimens. Only to discover that my 4b hair does not like water, oils, moisturizers or combs . I don’t put anything in my hair aside from washing and conditioning every two weeks. I don’t even use leave-in conditioner. I think a lot of that stuff is a band-aid. When I started to focus on my inside, i.e, drinking lots of water- moisture has not been a problem and I do… Read more »

curious
curious

BGLH — Thank you for asking — that’s why this site is great, feedback feedback and more feedback! Maz has great hair. I used to use glycerin but have not used it since twa days. I did have an episode where it dried my hair out but have never mixed it with aloe juice before. I may try this if I can find any in my whole foods. Despite everything not working for everyone, it’s always useful to question other naturals who like Maz/Soleil do not observe the standard rules of being natural i.e continual protective styling etc mainly because I… Read more »

Miss Tee
Miss Tee

I feel that with hair like Mazeratie it’s easy and more acceptable to others to wear your hair out. I am 4b and my hair doesn’t like oils, waters and juices either. My hair wants to knot and could never be how her hair is in those pictures. a wash and go ain’t happening. Even if I did wear this hair loose it’d be knot city and dry as a bone. I truly think all naturals are not made the same and other people’s regiments are just guides to what THEY do.

NaturalDelight
NaturalDelight

I would really like to know how Mazeratie’s hair is maintained at night?. I like to war my curly fro out and for it to be very big( I love that) and to show off how thick and coilly my frock is. My hair is about check bone length when i wear it strecthed. But when night time comes after the first wash and go day its traumatic for me. I have and extra large bonnet and a ton of big scarfs but everything pushes my hair UP and IN making it compact to my head. Does any one have… Read more »

Mazeratie

^^ At night I push my hair back as though I’m going to do a puff & I tie a silk or satin scarf over hair and sleep on a satin pillow case. This keeps the top and sides tangle free and I sleep on my side so my ends are pretty safe.

In the morning my hair will be flattened on the top and sides, but a couple sprays of water followed by some aloe/glycerin/rosewater spritz (or your product equivalent of choice) and it fluffs back up again. HTH!

Bethany
Bethany

I’m a wash and go girl in a VERY humid climate. I ran out and bought some glycerin and aloe vera (I couldn’t find any rosewater) and mixed it up. My hair LOVES it! We are dealing with 70% humidity here and the glycerin takes the water in the air and gives it to my hair! I think this will be my new summer regimen. I’ll switch it up during winter when the air is very cold and dry.

MsAllen2U
MsAllen2U

I too am a wash-n-go girl! My hair is curly/coily but can frizz and get tangly. It’s noes-cheek length in a twist-out(stretches my hair too much after 2 days and looks frizzy/puffy, I like it curly). I wet it every day to keep it curly and I do get a lot of shrinkage but I don’t like protective styling. I use to use v‑glycerin-water-essential oil but that was when it was TWA length. I just use conditioner (Giavanni, Nature Gate, Trader Joes) as a leave in after a co-wash with VO5 clarifying conditioner. My hair doesn’t like oils and gels.… Read more »