Reader Roll Call: What shampoo works best for you?

Avatar • Jun 8, 2010

Once in a while I take a roll call just to see how you handle products and haircare. This roll call was sparked by Pilar.

HELP! HELP! HELP

I’ve been natural my whole life but I haven’t found the right shampoo for me. In the past three months, I’ve gone through 6 different shampoos and none of them work for me. Some left a filmy layer on my hair, others left it brittle, and then there were a few that killed my curls. My mainstay conditioner is Giovanni’s Smooth as Silk Deeper Moisture which I love but my scalp needs to get cleaned or it flakes and itches like crazy. I need something that cleanse and allows my curls to look their best but I can’t dish out the big bucks since I’m a broke college student. Please help me find a shampoo that can get the job done!”

I “shampoo” my hair with a mixture of bentonite clay powder, apple cider vinegar and baking soda. That combo does a great job of cleaning my scalp and removing product buildup without leaving my hair feeling stripped/dry. You can find all three of those ingredients at Whole Foods and they’re pretty cheap.

For a cheaper option, I love Organix’ line of shampoos. They’re really gentle but also do a great job at cleansing. Plus you can find them at Walgreens! My favorite is the Revitalizing Pomegranate Green Tea Shampoo… I’ve also heard that the Nourishing Coconut Milk Shampoo is really good.

What about you guys? What shampoo do you use to cleanse your scalp and remove product buildup without stripping/drying out your hair?

Tai
Tai

I love organix coconut milk shampoo and conditioner and their mousse…basically I use all of their products…

My mother recently purchased Wen Fig Cleansing Conditioner…its a no sud conditioner but I use it once in awhile since it is on the expensive side. http://new.wenhaircare.com/index.php

carri

I use Dr. Bronner’s Magic Pure Castile Classic Soaps, INGREDIENTS:
Water, Organic Coconut Oil*, Potassium Hydroxide**, Organic Olive Oil*, Organic Hemp Oil, Organic Jojoba Oil, Natural Almond Fragrance, Citric Acid, Tocopherol
* CERTIFIED FAIR TRADE INGREDIENTS
** None remains after saponifying oils into soap and glycerin.…it leaves my hair feeling and smelling so good, its also cleanses very good no sludge, no build up no nothing ‚I buy it at the WHOLE FOOD STORE.

Erica
Erica

I have recently discovered the “Shea Moisture” line of organic hair care products. I use their shampoo, conditioner, hair milk, and curl smoothie. Before, I would only co-wash my hair with Treseme weekly, but now I use Shea Moisture shampoo once a week. It smells great and does not leave my hair feeling squeaky clean. Also, I previsously used Miss Jessie’s Curly Meringue once a week. Now, I use Shea Moisture Curt Smoothie. I get the same results with the Curl Smoothie, its half the price of Miss Jessie’s and is organic! Everyone should try it!

Tiffany

I do the Apple Cider vinegar rinse too. I like Carols daughter Rosemary and Mint shampoo, it makes your head tingle and is so relaxing. I use weekly RenPure My hair is Parched, My hair loves it.

Peace, Love and Chocolate
Tiffany

jlowman1
jlowman1

For a super clarifying shampoo to get all the gunk out, I use Hello Hydaration Shampoo but if I just want some a little more gentle I use Kinky Curly Come Clean shampoo…

If I dont have either of these, Dr. Bronner’s Peppermint Castile Soap Bar.

Sharon

About a year ago I started using Silicon Mix, a Dominican line of products. I love their shampoo, intense conditioner and leave-in conditioner. My hair looks and feels healthy, and even has a sheen. I’m really happy I found it.

Gigi
Gigi
Reply to  Sharon

OMG! I thought I was the only one that knows and uses Silicon Mix!!! Lol, I love their products and my hair feels amazing afterwards! 🙂

ashley

I love Gionvani Organic Golden Wheat Shampoo. It is cheap, organic makes my hair AND scalp feel amazing. No sulfates and did I mention cheap? I stocked up on 4 bottles for $3.50 at TJ Maxx

Transitioning Again....
Transitioning Again....

Carols Daughter! I love the hair milk and the black vanilla shampoo and leave in conditiner. I have 3inchs of new growth and it really keeps my hair mosturized and my hair is not brittle at the line of demarcartion! I can’t wait until they come out with the new hair milk line 🙂

NewRibena
NewRibena

I’ve been using the Curls Cleansing Cream with great results. It is sulfate free and very gentle and non drying on my hair.

AdriB
AdriB

I’d say work to shampoo your scalp, not your hair. The little bit of suds you get in the rinse should be good enough for your strands. I can use just about anything if I do that. I’ve used sandlewood soap as well; makes my curls super-defined and bouncy! (Note: there is always shrinkage with better curl definition, so if you’re going for a long look, ditch the soap!) Sea Breeze is good for the scalp too. Cuts all the grease from you scalp, but leaves the hair alone. I haven’t used it in a while, but I remember Creme of… Read more »

Bri
Bri

Head and Shoulders shampoo and conditioner. Rinses clean.
I’m not too savvy about products so that works for my simple routine.
I actually don’t know about much else.

AdriB
AdriB

Also, try keeping the conditioner off your scalp. I read that somewhere on the Internet. Its for your hair. That might help.

thelady
thelady

Dr. Bronner’s Magic Pure Castile Liquid Soap — diluted with water
Kinky Curly Come Clean — when I don’t have oil or shea in my hair

I’ve started braiding my hair before I shampoo to prevent tangles now that that my hair is longer.

Steph302
Steph302

I use Giovanni Smooth as Silk shampoo and conditioner. It’s an organic hair care line that conditions my 4c hair very well. I also love Oyin Handmade’s Honey Hemp conditioner. The honey gives me good curl pop.

Jc
Jc

Whatever my husband has bought!

Shones

I’ve had great results with each of the following three ‘poos: - Chagrin Valley shampoo bars at http://www.chagrinvalleysoapandcraft.com/. The one with marshmallow worked quite well for cleansing. Made my hair soft, but not uber-squeaky. — Dr. Bronner’s liquid castile soap — comes in many different scents. This one actually does tend to lean more toward squeaky clean. Works best for me when diluted with water. Hmm, maybe I should mix it with conditioner… — Baking soda + water in a squirt bottle, shaken — idea from MotownGirl.com. If you follow with organic apple cider vinegar, clean and soft. Rinse after… Read more »

CutieCourt
CutieCourt

I use black soap shampoo…its very moisturizing and cleans my scalp really well.

skeeta25

I use suave clarifying shampoo once a month (1.50, can’t beat that!) Sometimes I shampoo in between the month, then I will use a generic black bar soap from my local beauty supply for like $3 bucks. Its makes my hair feel so good! Its simple and cheap.

Shauna
Shauna

What I’ve been using the past two months or so is some watered down Dr. Bonner’s Peppermint Castile Soap. I use that head to toe for everything, really. My hair has been pretty good with it so far, and I follow with a rinse of ACV.

Torri
Torri

Nature’s Gate Herbal Daily Shampoo and its sold at Whole Foods, Central Market or online.

Micaela S
Micaela S

I’m still trying to find my staple but for now I really like Elucence Moisture Balancing Shampoo and Giovanni Shampoos.

nana yaa
nana yaa

I use dr bronners diluted. love the almond.

Janice
Janice

4b hair should avoid gel-based shampoos like Nature’s Gate. Even if they don’t have sulfates/parabens, they are drying. Condition-wash and natural washes (once a month) like ACV, baking soda, etc are good and gentle.

I’m also on the Dr. Bronner’s train.

AtEase
AtEase
Reply to  Janice

I have 4 abcxyz hair tighter than tight coils and if I do that my scalp is not happy.

Also from what I’ve read ACV only lowers pH and doesn’t really “clarify”,baking soda is rough (it is crystals) and has a high pH = Not for me.

A. Fobi
A. Fobi

Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle rose or White Camelia Shampoo is the number one contender on my list. Has worked for me for the last year and half. It can be found at your local natural food store or Whole foods or online. I just picked up on using black soap so I’m going to give it a try when the poos run out.

Ashley
Ashley

I tend to stick to cheap shampoos like VO5.

However, I’ve used Herbal Essences Long Term Relationship and loved it. When I’m not being cheap, I find that Herbal Essences and Aussie products work well.

binks
binks

I have problems with shampoo myself because most leave my hair dry but right now I’ am using Doo Gro

Taharqa
Taharqa

Tropic Isle Jamaican Black Castor Oil shampoo. I use most of their line (black castor oil pomade, pure black castor oil, and now their shampoo)I have shoulder length hair now but I had some breakage @ the hair line. I’m seeing new growth and my hair seems to be getting thicker. FLOVES IT. I also have been alternating between Trader Joe’s Tea Tree Tingle shampoo & Alaffia Neem oil and Black Soap shampoo for the last 4 years. But for the breakage, the castor oil shampoo seems to work! I think I’m gonna stick with that for awhile.

BigSyd4life
BigSyd4life

Anything, anything, anything from the Nature’s Gate line!!!! I love this stuff!!!! I only condition, using Jojoba Revitalizing COnditioner, but they have tons of other great shampoos/conditioners and soooo much more!! The best part.…it’s ALL NATURAL!!! Yes, you heard right, all organic, no cones, no parabens. And it leaves the hair so soft, smooth, and supple, I just love it! Sorry.…I’m getting a little carried away, but trust me, check out their website at http://www.natures-gate.com/index.asp And if you’re unsure about any of the ingredients, they have a list on their website of all the ingredients, telling you what they are,… Read more »

BigSyd4life
BigSyd4life

Sorry, I forgot to add that the price tag can run you anywhere from 5–8 bucks. Not too bad, my bottles last me at least two months, but then again, I only wash when needed, not necessarily every week. Also, you can order online, but I get my supply from the ‘Vitamin Shoppe’ Check it out!!

b.
b.

Seconding the motion on Nature’s Gate Herbal Shampoo. I :heart: Nature’s Gate most of the time, and my hair is pen-spring size in the largest part (4b at *least*). It’s one of the few shampoos that does NOT dry my hair while still cleansing my scalp. I co-wash most of the time, but I find that even with keeping most of my leave-in off my scalp it still becomes dry after a few days. I am currently trying to prepoo my scalp with tea tree oil (the brand in the bottle, not just the EO) to see if that will… Read more »

J
J

* diluted Dr. Bronner’s castile peppermint soap
* SheaMoisture Coconut & Hibiscus shampoo

AfroKisses
AfroKisses

Whenever I feel like I have buildup or dandruff I use Dr.Bronner’s soap and I know most folks use the liquid but I actually use the bar. I don’t rub a bar of soap through my hair; I just rub it in my hands along with water and slowly work it into my hair. This leaves my scalp feeling SO good but I definitely pay special attention to conditioning and moisturizing after I do this. Otherwise I like to co-wash with Vo5 conditioner(one without protein) and sometimes I use their shampoo(moisture milks) and it works better than some of the… Read more »

Krys
Krys

I use David Babaii For Wildaid Hydrating Shampoo (awesome!!) and Giovanni Smooth as Silk conditioner.…I love this conditioner.…

Jasmyn

I think Cream of Nature’s shampoo works for me. I tried some sulfate free shampoo from Vitamin World, but I think it was irritating my scalp. Weird but true.

Erika

I use Suave Professionals Shea Butter and Almond Moisturizing shampoo:

This shampoo leaves my hair soft and it doesn’t strip my hair or wallet. LoL The conditioner is amazing too!

Jarquisha Hollings

I use Giovanni’s Smooth As Silk Deeper Moisture Shampoo/Conditioner. My curls pop after shampooing twice.

Shell

Recently, I have been washing my hair with baking soda and water. It is wonderful. Cleans my hair and makes my hair shine.

DM
DM

i make a shikakai tea that i use to shampoo my scalp. it makes my scalp feel clean and my hair feels strong and not stripped of moisture. its a time investment to make but when i do i make alot of it and fill it up into bottles and jugs and refrigerate. if you want the recipe just email me at demena24@aol.com

Hannah
Hannah

I alternate between Dr. Bronners Magic Castile Soap(diluted), and Shea Moisture Coconut & Hibiscus Brilliant Curl Shampoo. I use Dr. Bronner’s when my scalp is feeling itchy or I have a lot of product buildup, typically once a week or every two weeks, if I use too much or don’t dilute it it gives my hair a squeaky clean feeling and sometimes it can be overly dry; I noticed yesterday after washing my hair it seemed to clump my curls, but that probably always happens before I comb my conditioner through. I use Shea Moisture whenever I feel like it,… Read more »

Dee
Dee

I recently purchased Carol’s Daughter rosemary shampoo & conditioner.…LOVE the shampoo…but the conditioner really don’t work for my hair.…it won’t detangle it…the hair milk leaves my hair soft and very manageable.

Janice
Janice

I’ve been using Aveda Damage Remedy since March and my hair has never been softer or healthier! I can actually come through it! It was expensive but I’m worth it 🙂

teachermrw

Keracare Hydrating Detangling Shampoo. It is now available as a sulfate-free formulation. Being a user of the previous sulfate formulation, I was concerned as to how my hair would respond. Fortunately, it responded favorably.

Miesha
Miesha

Hi,
I am a natural nubi and not a product junky as I am also suffering from eczema from scalp to body.

I came across this product while looking up Tropic Isle Living hair line and found Sakari hair mask on the SheabutterCottage distributor’s website.
Do you know anything about this product or care to do a review on it please?

Miesha.

gracie
gracie
Reply to  Miesha

Hi Miesha, I’m afraid I haven’t heard about the product you mention but I used to suffer from eczema. Now I hardly ever get it. Are you eating dairy? For me what radically reduced eczema was a dairy-free diet. Also reducing stress by cutting down caffeine, alcohol, smoking and by getting enough exercise and also getting counselling when I was feeling low or anxious.
I couldn’t use any kind of soap but I did use emulsifying ointment or aqueous cream as a hair, face and body wash for many years as it is super cheap and non-allergenic

Yaya84
Yaya84

I clarify with Organic Root Stimulator Creamy Aloe shampoo

For regular shampoo I like Elasta QP Creme conditioning shampoo.

Both diluted with distilled water or Aloe Vera Juice

Miatta
Miatta

So I tried the ACV + bentonite clay rinse and I don’t believe it did it properly because my hair felt kinda dry. How much ACV to bentontie clay should I use next time?

mangomadness
mangomadness

I use Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose Shampoo. It’s a very moisturizing low-lather shampoo that makes my hair fluffy, soft and fragrant. It’s the only shampoo I’ll ever use on my hair–It’s that good.

helga crane
helga crane

MyHoneyChild’s Olive You Scalp Cleanser

beautylosangeles
beautylosangeles

I am having a SERIOUS Love AFFAir with Organix Coconut Milk Conditioner and Qhemet Biologics Egyptian Hair Tea!! LAWD HAV MERCY

beautylosangeles
beautylosangeles

[img]http://bglhonline.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/DSC00884.jpg[/img]

My Coils are conditioned and Shiny Due to Organix and Qhemet Biologics.

TheBeautifulOne
TheBeautifulOne

Giovanni smooth as silk deep moisture shampoo

But I only shampoo my hair once in a while, as in not very often.…I co wash with Garnier Frutis fortifying triple nutrition/action cream conditioner, it has avocado, Shea butter, and olive oil in it.… I LOVE IT.….it’s the best thing ever.… 🙂

imani
imani

i love creme of nature sulfate free conditioning shampoo. It really helps with detanglng bc i get major matting when I wash.So far its the only shampoo that minimizes tangles and leaves my hair feeling soft and not stripped and fragile.