Oh, the tangled web of brown self-disdain…

Avatar • Jun 16, 2010

Just one month ago Chris Brown told “black and ugly” jokes about gossip blogger Sandra Rose on his Twitter page, in response to an article she wrote about his waning fame. Of the issue, Sandra wrote:

Every Chris Brown fan knows that he has color issues and that he prefers to date only light skinned women. They say that when one impulsively lashes out in anger, they open a window into their true character.

Yesterday, Chris Brown threw open that window giving us a wider insight into his self hatred in a series of tweets attacking the part of me that he despises the most — my skin color.

Laugh if you want to, but you should know that this is how Chris Brown feels about an entire group of people with brown skin — not just one.

If you have beautiful brown skin, you should be offended by his “spook by the door” insults and the message he sends to his young fans that it is OK to disparage and ridicule people with darker skin hue than his.

Sandra’s Rallying cry brought many readers to her defense. Even I, who knew very little about her, mentioned it on my personal Facebook page.

Now, just a month later, Sandra has titled an article “Celeb Style: Solange Knowles Throws an Afro Wig Over Her Naps.” (Thanks Robin for emailing this to me!)

Sandra says;

When Beyonce’s sister Solange Knowles first debuted her short nappy hair cut, bloggers howled. Her own fans dissed her on message boards and even her ex-boyfriend Bow Wow went in on her on his Twitter page:

What is going on with all these young ladies today cutting their hair and carrying themselves like men? Stop that! As a man, I don’t want to look at you and see myself in your reflection.”

Soon Solo was forced to defend her unkempt natural ‘do by claiming she was making a statement (yeah, right).

Well, Solange finally grew tired of the jabs and barbs. Solo threw an afro wig over her naps when she DJ’d a set at TAO Beach in las Vegas over the weekend.

Work it girl! — that nappy look was not working for you, baby.

Really Sandra?

Well first off I’m not really seeing how Solange’s hair was “unkempt”. So I’m just going to assume that’s code language for short and coily.

Second, dark skin and “naps” (as you call them) are features common to a MAJORITY of black people worldwide. How can you on the one hand defend “beautiful black skin” and turn around and disparage “naps”?

How is Chris Brown’s “self-hatred” any different from yours?

And P.S., “Bow Wow” isn’t a reputable source on.… anything.

MissMemorable
MissMemorable

Here’s the thing about reading her ridiculous blog, that woman will rave and praise any artists that pays her any attention (i.e. Monica, Keyshia Cole, TI, etc). Mostly Atlanta artists that will casually throw a picture her way. When you don’t pay her any mind and treat her like another random person she decides that you aren’t worthy of any respect (i.e. Drake, Beyonce, Trey Songz). I didn’t know you had come to her defense on the Chris issue, if I had I would have mentioned it on the FB page. She is one of those people that can dish… Read more »

Jade
Jade

I do not really understand how she differentiates between “naps” and an “afro.” Is she saying that short hair is bad? Because our ” short naps” turn into huge afros when it gets longer.

Tc
Tc

That Sandra Rose is ill. i believe she has low self esteem and uses her key board as an outlet. She has to be mid 40’s or older, and all she does is worry about celebrities because she has no life. I believe she has more self hate than most of the bloggers out there. She goes in on her own ppl. You have to be sick to be that old, never show your face, and throw darts while hiding behind a computer. When will ppl ever learn that words are powerful? She won’t learn until she gets hurt.

vonnie

you.….pretty much summed that up perfectly! the nerve, really! How can you be all up in arms about getting dissed for brown skin and THEN go and diss another equally just as african/black feature as our hair? the ever lasting hypocrisy

Emma Petersen

Le sigh. I kind of feel sorry for people like Chris Brown, Sandra Rose and even Solange. I wear my hair as it grows from my scalp and like everything about me, from my skin color to my lips, and nose, I love it.

Natural hair isn’t for everyone, I understand and respect that but when a person feels the need to use disparaging words to describe skin color and hair they may want to take a step back and examine the reasons why.

Kasandra
Kasandra

Leila please do not pay this Dog(sorry to dogs because she is BELOW them) any attentioon. On a daily bases she bashes the First Family and even said Michelle resembled a monkey. She berates Beyonce, Solange, and any other light skinned singer besides Monica and Tiny. She has serious issues with light skinned women that need to be fixed! It’s just a cry for help/attention!

ps. Solange looks amazing with or without the wig & I’m pretty sure she wouldn’t pay this rat faced blogger any mind!

LP
LP

@Miss–I was thinking the same thing! I’ve only been to her blog like twice and it was so ignorant I didn’t go back. I love BGLH, but you have to really research who you “support”, though I understand you were supporting the cause more so. I would never support CB and his comments, but she is trash who is obsessed with fame.

JustShe
JustShe

This is a case of the kettle calling the pot black (couldn’t help it had to say it)? How is she going to be mad at man child for making jokes about her complexion and saying that he doesn’t love or embrace his brown skin sister, then turn around and make fun of someone who is representing them self to the world the way god made them? It very hypocritical of her to want be a cheerleader for the chocolate sisters but you hate on the one(s) who decide to be natural.

Dannie
Dannie

As I read what she wrote about Solange, all I could do is smh in disbelief. Calling another black person’s hair nappy is ridiculous. If she pulled out her remy weave or went a few weeks without a relaxer, I would LOOOOVE to see how good her hair is. This actually burns me up, it goes right back to the whole “good hair and bad hair” mentality that I depise. How horrible!!!!

predestined010
predestined010

First I have to say I dont even know who this Sandra character is but Solange is pretty to me with her low boy or the huge fro their is nothing wrong with her rocking the afro wig I mean dammit man people act like once you go natural that it is a crime if you want to switch things up a bit PULEAZE get a life and kick rocks! and as far as chris brown goes his preference is just that his preference nobody well maybe I should speak to myself is concerned about a little boy with a… Read more »

MP
MP

Yeah, I’m not even going to get into Sandra Rose because I’m not too familiar, but what I have heard is along the lines of all of the previous comments. I actually agree with the general opinion that Solange’s current haircut isn’t working for her. I’ve been hoping she’d let it grow just an inch or two because I think just a tad bit more length would be more flattering to her face shape. However, I am pleased that when she decided she wanted to go longer for the week/month/whatever that she chose a curly piece instead of a straight… Read more »

Handmade Design

I had never heard of her until this post. I loved Solange hair I think she look awesome with her short and coily and her wig look fly too. I r Ummmm and Chris Brown… Who cares what you think

Nisus

I BEEN had her on our list of ENEMY blogs on http://www.fairinlove.com/ because she is one of the many soldiers waging an attack on Black love, and love for being black. ALL of her writing is tainted with hate and resistance to progress and revolution.

Nicole
Nicole

I don’t read any of the celeb/gossip blogs, so I can’t put her comments within the context of her blog; but I’m in agreement with Jade. I don’t understand the differentiation between naps and afro…why one is “unkempt” and the other isn’t when basically the only difference is length…why she can work one and not the other…makes no sense in my opinion.

Djohnson
Djohnson

So what does she look like? I can’t find a pic. Am I slow or something?

Ashley
Ashley

The title for this blog post is perfect. I don’t know much about that blogger aside from the Chris Brown issue but from reading this post and the other comments, I can say she’s a hypocrite. She probably wouldn’t have had a problem with Chris’ comments about dark skin if they weren’t aimed at her. I feel that this problem of accepting ourselves as we are is a problem women of all backgrounds seem to have. Women and girls regularly say hurtful things about the women who choose not to over-manipulate their image. Also, Solange looks gorgeous with short hair and she… Read more »

copelli
copelli

It never ceases to amaze me how ingrained and conditioned the self-hatred is within some of us.

It’s just sad.

jetessence
jetessence

I don’t get it. Isn’t Solange’s weave nappy? What’s with the differentiation between her natural hair and her extensions?

@BLGH: I think what the other posters are trying to say is that Sandra Rose isn’t exactly a reputable source when it comes to information. Even if what she says is true, she presents that “truth” in such a detestable way that I WOULDN’T use her as a source for anything (personal or professional).

MikimuCurlyQ

Wow Leila…you hit it right on the head. People,no matter what color they are, can have some really twisted self-hatred issues. That’s why I don’t let those people affect me one little bit. I will keep on appreciating my skin color (although I’ve been on the receiving end of some disparaging remarks about how I am not “black enough”…which stung because of who the comment came from)and rocking my curly/kinky/twirly “naps”. To me, self love = confidence.

Kanisha

I’m kind of angry at myself because in the beginning of the article, I was totally in support of Sandra! Her jabs at Solange are hurtful to me as a natural woman, not to mention incredibly hypocritical and simple-minded. I for one, would like to say that Solange DID cut her hair off in order to make a statement, and the statement was VERY powerful! Do you know how many women have been encouraged to cut their hair since then? And I also think the wig was cute. She never said she was tired of the jabs. There’s nothing wrong… Read more »

Romney

I just cannot for the life of me, go to that woman’s page, sign up and leave a comment. It is not worth the time or effort. I feel sorry for Sandra Rose. Not only is she an unattractive woman on the outside but her personality just makes it worse. I think Solange looks amazing with and without the fro. People kill me when they think they know SO much about a celebrity. Lol like do you live with them? Do you know Solange personally? I just don’t understand. @Emma Peterson I disagree with you “Natural hair isn’t for everyone”… Read more »

Ashleigh L. A.

Wow.…that pot surely called the kettle Black. Sigh…self hatred is a b*tch. When will Black people learn to love themselves?

Lauren
Lauren

I never understood people who claim to be so upset when people talk about brown skin people but want to disparage anyone who has natural hair. Its so ironic. Solange’s hair is actually growing out! What is the difference between short natural hair and a full afro? Length? Well it has to start somewhere doesnt it? An afro is just as nappy as a TWA. I have a friend who has a weave that is an “afro weave” and she tells everyone it is all her real hair as I stand beside her with my 2 inches of TWA. Lack of… Read more »

kingsmomma

I didn’t read the jokes mentioned about SR but i do know that she has a way of stating things to make it look like 1) she is an authority and 2) she is a victim. She has no clue what she writes about half the time. Again I didn’t see the jokes that were made so i can’t offer any type of excuse (not that I would) or condone the situation, however, Sandra Rose Regularly choses to write things about Chris Brown that hit wayyy below the belt but are the pink elephant in the room ie: his DV charge.… Read more »

donna
donna

I love this blog for many reasons but every time I notice things like this on the net and I’m fuming in my on brain, I come on here and find the same distain coupled with discussion concerning the situation from both the blog and readers it’s a beautiful thing! At any rate it’s truly sad and also why I feel convos concerning our hair and skin color cannot die, because it still lives in the hearts and minds of many who don’t prefer one complextion over another or one hair texture over another but have straight up self hate… Read more »

kingsmomma

I went back to read the jokes,

While I can see how one can be upset, no where did he connotate black with ugly. And not one of those jokes were original.
They were directed at Sandra Rose and should have been left at that.

P.S. Sandra Rose said he has Color issues and prefers lightskinned women but wasn’t she one of the main bloggers to push the idea that he was sleeping with his older manager and father a baby with her?

BigSyd4life
BigSyd4life

A rose Sandra is not!

Shannon
Shannon

I agree with everything you said, but i just wanted to point out that this cracked me up so much.

And P.S., “Bow Wow” isn’t a reputable source on…. anything.”

And I think Solange looked fierce with her TWA.

EccentricRed
EccentricRed

She’s hating…on herself. I’m so tired of reading about people complaining about celebs cutting their hair. (Especially when a high percentage of them are wearing weaves anyway, so you don’t know what their hair looks like to begin with.) I’ve never read this womans blog, nor will I really care about reading it again, and I think she was just looking for something to write about. Either way, I don’t think Solange did this to get people’s attention, she did it for herself and that is what is all about. It’s about time people appreciate the hair God gave them.… Read more »

CarmenShanell

Sad, sad, sad! When we we realized that straight hair is not “good” hair just like “light or white” skin is not automatically right! While she talks about showing ones true self and being an example for fans she just became the biggest hypocrite! Not a fan of hers anyway but this is so sad.

2NatuRho
2NatuRho

This woman has deep self-hatred running through her veins…when are we, as Black women, going to stand up and stop hating ourselves and others because we have a different skin complexion or different textures of hair?!? Her talking about Solange makes her no better than Chris Brown talking about her, why does some w/ a TWA have to have unkempt naps and an afro wig deemed beautiful…there’s no difference besides ones shorter and ones longer..

InnaLeigh

Chris Brown can get cut up, and so can Sandra Rose. We just have to realize that as a people, some Blacks will never EVER accept natural hair and their own Black beauty. And I know that alot of us go through different trials and tribulations to accept our beauty and who we are.….And some think that they already are beautiful but arent.…IE Sandra.…I can tell that she has self-esteem issues off top by calling Solange’s hair nappy. It kills me when Black people call somebody’s hair nappy.…There is difference between NAPPY and natural hair. I’m really beginning to be… Read more »

tabatha
tabatha

sandra rose is clearly one of the reason why ppl have no respect for us (black women). it’s a shame how we don’t have one another backs.i“m @ a loss for words.

trackback

[…] just tweeted a link from Black Girl With Long Hair (BGLH), about the use of “nappy” to describe hair. BGLH goes in on Sandra Rose for […]

Kayla

All of the ignorance is blinding me! lol.

As far as Solange, I fail to see where her short hair is nappy and/or unkempt. Also, the wig appears to be a similar texture to her own, so even if her hair looked a mess, a similar texture wig wouldn’t change that. I mean, what is this lady lookin at? Did Solange take her man or something? lol.

Lexi

In Atlanta , we don’t pay Sandra any attention. She just likes to get attention so she posts things so off the wall. If you saw her, you would understand her hatred for ANY beautiful woman. Sandra is a person that NEEDS weave to feel good about herself so she has alot of self hatred going on.

Dissentingly
Dissentingly

When Solange cut her hair, I thought it looked like she used kitchen shears and a nose hair trimmer. In many of the pictures I have seen, her hair does look unkempt. I am all for natural hair, especially considering I don’t relax my own, but that’s no excuse for looking like you just rolled out of bed. Curls, coils, kinks, naps…they are all beautiful, but they still need to be styled.

Shekey

Articles such as this should give us families of color more determination to raise kids that are proud of the skin their in. Solange does look wonderful, and it seems as if she’s content with who she is. Isn’t that what matters anyway. Better yet, I’ll give her a topic to report on — “Social Responsibility”. After she reports on this, she can visit my site at http://www.shekeyultd.com and get some cultural fashion!

Adrienne

All I have to say is, “4 snaps in a Z formation”

It’s so simply of people to see the splinter in someone elses eye but neglect to notice the one in their own. Your points are valid and well written.

I love your blog; keep doing what your doing.

Briana
Briana

What a POWERFULnpost Leila!!!!! LOOOOOVED it!

Alli
Alli

I guess some black people can only accept things about themselves in small increments. They’ve finally accepted that dark skin is beautiful, but their not ready yet to accept the hair growing out of their head as beautiful.

trackback

[…] This post was mentioned on Twitter by MyCheri Robinson, Patrice Peck and Kirstin Walker, Black Girl Long Hair. Black Girl Long Hair said: in response to sandra rose’s statements about solange’s #naturalhair http://bit.ly/bWIfAJ […]

Shawntae Miles

WOW… is pretty much all I can say. Does it matter that she cut her hair. It’s either you are a fan or not… Your decision to support her should not consist of her choice of hair style. If it does… you really need to look at yourself and figure our what your deal is.

Simone

you should have known if she was ok with clowning Chris Brown…she’d have no problem with clowning anyone else…

Chris isn’t the one with issues.…its little Miss Sandra.

emma
emma

The idiocy of Sandra Rose’s comments are astounding. How does she differentiate between long “naps” and short ones? Why is she concerned about Chris Brown? My fellow commenters have said enough about her for me. I would like to say something about Bow Wow; why does he think that short hair means masculine? Why does he automatically think of a man when a woman has short hair? I think this just revealed a WHOLE lot about his character and his issues with masculinity. We already knew he had a Napoleon complex but this just fuels the fire…lol

NappyKitchen
NappyKitchen

My natural hair is a F**K You to a lot of people.

I dont know any of Sandra Rose’s work but if the comments are true, she deserves everything she gets. Would Sandra Rose mock Solange’s hair style if she were dark skinned? Calling a light skinned girl nappy headed isnt as bad or as damaging as saying it to a dark skinned girl?

A man is entitled to find what he likes aesthetically pleasing.

It is because of this blog that I no longer knock long hair because that is apart of my beauty as a black woman too.

Ames
Ames

I’ve never heard of this woman until now and I didn’t know that Chris Brown and BowWow had said what they said about shades of black/Solange/ and those “cutting their hair and carrying themselves like men?”. BIG BIG thanks to you for shedding light on these three and the word vomit that comes spewing out of their mouths.

LaNeshe

You are so right. She’s confused if brown skin is beautiful…only as long as it doesn’t have short coiled hair on top of it.

humble1
humble1

I cannot believe anyone came to her defense in the Chris Brown scenario. She writes some of the most hateful negative things about people. Also, she has stated the black women cannot grow long hair on her site and those who believed otherwise were delusional. It is clear she has self-hate issues.

jadedpoet
jadedpoet

Leila this is just the purest example of a hypocrite at its finest. “Sandra take a bow” LOL

trackback

[…] Ok – I may be naive, but at least I’m not crazy… from this photo with far better lighting, it’s obvious it’s a wig. […]

Christy Hyman
Christy Hyman

Sorry for the lack of originality but @ Sandra Rose: Eeeuuuwwwww

I am sorry but she sucks.

And as for Solange… Oh well…It is like I told the Asian Storekeeper at the Beauty Supply Store when she was astounded that my afro was real

AFRO’S ARE OKAY AS LONG AS THEY ARE NOT REAL

You get an afro weave…people say cool.. A real afro…people got problems..smh

BlaqInfinite
BlaqInfinite

This is the first time I’m hearing about Sandra Rose and I looked her up. I don’t find her attractive at all, and judging from the fact that she thrives off celebrity gossip, it’s safe to say she doesn’t find herself attractive either. That being said, I don’t care if Chris Brown said she’s black and ugly-it’s not as if she’s not setting herself up for those kinds of comments. She’s acting ugly on the inside so it makes her uglier on the outside. Though both of them are hopeless victims of a white supremacist society, I must say that… Read more »

damola
damola
Reply to  BlaqInfinite

you’re missing the point though

Natasha
Natasha

Girl, I wish I saw your post defending Sandra regarding the Chris Brown thing before you pubbed it. I would’ have stopped you. Sandra Rose is a nut, straight up! If you’ve ever read her blog you will see what I’m talking about she can’t hide it. This comment she made, none of it surprises me. I used to read it for celebrity gossip, but I stopped loooonnngg ago. Also, as an aside I’m new to LHCF as a member in the last 2 months, as a lurker a little longer. You know she hates LHCF and its members, yup.… Read more »

Enny

I’m glad you guys now see that Sandra Rose is an ignoramus, and should be given absolutely no attention. Not even on her blog. I happen to know one of her best friends who is Nigerian like myself and may I just add that these women are FILLED, FILLED with hate and bitterness to the point that I can confidently call on a professional or spiritual leader to help them. As for CB & TinyBow Wow, they are spoiled kids who are just fame-drunk and color-blind. All they do is studio, girls, party, alc, sex, gossip, etc. No respect for women… Read more »

E. Lewis
E. Lewis

So sad that she has to try to put another Black woman down to feel better about herself.

Theresa
Theresa

I literally feel disgusted right now after reading that. I too have never heard of her until today. She’s obviously not of much importance so I’m going to just SMH and move on.

ary
ary

it’s so foolish that if the wig was her ACTUAL hair i’m sure the sanda roses of the world would suddenly find its realness too nappy. LOL. wake up friends!

Tie
Tie

No one should believe anything that Sandra Rose says. She is known for lying on people from calling the Simmons’ daughters lesbians for being close to each other on Daddy’s Girls to calling our Black President out his name. She has never been a positive influence on the Black community and thrives on the negativity. She talks about Chris Brown, Trey Songz, and Necole Bitchie frequently. Yes, Chris Brown should not have made those comments but this lady is slowly helping others tear our community apart. Personally I think Solange looks great with all the different hairstyles she has rocked… Read more »

Celeste
Celeste

@ Emma Peterson and Lauren: What’s so bad about an afro weave/wig (or any wig/weave for that matter)? “Natural” doesn’t means that you can’t experiment or have options. I always chuckle when I hear people say “yeah, but she’s not really being natural or she’s she’s not comfortable with her natural hair b/c she does this…” If you really want to be natural you shouldn’t wash your hair or do anything to it. Some women are low maintenance or low effort and some prefer to do more and experiment with different looks. Going natural shouldn’t force you change your personality… Read more »

Inez
Inez

A gossip blogger is not the last or first bastion of moral upright behaviour. Sandra Rose clearly has issues with natural hair, she’s quite an opinionated woman who ran into trouble with LHCF members some time ago. Chris Brown has his own set of well publicised issues and judging from his tweets they include colourism but neither person is of any interest or deserves our time and consideration. What is sad, is that black people feel the need to air the dirty laundry (colourism and natural hair prejudice) so freely to the detriment of no one but black people. Solange… Read more »

DontChange4Me
DontChange4Me

Hey Bow-Wow! Who told you that you were a “man”? Oh, and when you look at me, you should see you…that’s what God intended 🙂

Meika
Meika

Not even going to bother with Sandra but I find Bow Wow’s comments to be interesting. So short hair on a woman makes her look masculine? Really? So by his own reasoning, when he and his boy Omarion were wearing near BSL cornrows and blow-outs it could have easily been said they looked feminine.

I swear these man-boys say things just to hear themselves talk.

beadgyrl
beadgyrl

I agree with BlaqInfinite above. If you are confident, beautiful and comfortable in your own skin you have nothing to worry about. Also I had never heard of this woman, and this is the first time I have. I don’t wacth reality shows, or live on celeb gossip. I have a disdain for self-hatred especially within our own people. We have enough of other races looking down on our god-given hair and features. Why must we continue to do this within ourselves. What can be said about Chris Brown? Absolutely nothing. Because he has proven what he is, a little… Read more »

Sunshine

I could not believe this when I read it. I guess since I am natural and I am soooo over other people’s opinion on it, I forgot how ignorant and down right awful others can be when it comes to natural hair. This Sandra person (who I have NEVER heard of before this post) sounds like a real LAME. I say that because I really think that is takes a lame to spend time dissing other people via blogs. SO that is my first thought on this. But secondly, perhaps I needed to see this to remind me how important it… Read more »

char/dendoo

BAM! Shut the door! How did I miss this? It just goes to show that we as black people WORLD WIDE have issues that go deep and yet we don’t even recognize it. I could understand if home girl was saying napps in a loving way, cause I’ll call my napps napps anyday of the week with a smile and love, but she’s going hard on Solange just as hard as Chris Beat A wWoman Brown was going on her. What gives her any right to attack Solange about her hair if Chris B. can’t attack the darkness? We need a revolution… Read more »

whateva
whateva

I would never come to Sandra Rose’s defense. Never. She is a mean, vicious, gossiping nut.

Les
Les

When I first heard of her, it was her dogging out the first family. She dogged my First Lady for NO reason at all. It became obvious that her problems with the Obamas had nothing to do with politics. I labeled her as a racist long ago, regardless of her black skin.

trackback

[…] I felt like Black Girl Long Hair did a good job pointing out the irony… Here’s a link and peep for your self http://bglhonline.com/2010/06/oh-the-tangled-web-of-brown-self-disdain/ […]

Cassie
Cassie

I admit this, but I cut off my hair like Solange and don’t like it (on me). I think I cut it too short and should have grown it out a bit before chopping off the perm. Maybe Solange is just feeling that her hair is too short and that’s why she’s decided to wear an afro wig. I don’t begrudge her for doing so, since I’m now wearing wigs until my hair grows out. As to Bow Wow, Chris Brown, etc. Who really cares about their silly opinions? We already know that many Black men (and Black women) prefer a certain… Read more »

M.J.
M.J.

ohhhh, black people.…sometimes WE make ME want to vomit. I recently discovered Sandra Rose (checked out a couple of her posts) and came to the conclusion that she’s a “hater”. Solange’s close crop enhanced her features. She looked beautiful. I dunno what SR is talking about. I recall seeing one of her posts about how much money she paid for fusion weave. So, how in the world is she an authority on hair when she’s too ashamed to rock her own??? As for Bow Wow and Chris Brown…they need to focus on making records that actually sell…no words for those… Read more »

Alex
Alex

The craziest thing about all this is that Sandra Rose has natural hair herself!

felisha Parker
felisha Parker

Sandra Rose is a very Hateful Person IMO SHE is always saying negative things about people. Personally i dont get why black people get offended because some one expresses their opinon about their views. Trust me when it comes to women cutting their hair short men of all races tend to have issues with that not just Black men.. And Sandra Rose Dogges CB out damm near Every day…smh

Anon
Anon

I think the comment was made because Solange’s hair looked very uneven. Now we all know you can style a cute short fro! The fact that she threw on an Afro wig does not mean she gave up on the idea as it is still in a natural state. Although, that wig needs to be styled too. Straight or Tight, Solange has always struggled with her LOOK. Most of the time, she just looked like she was following Beyonce. At least she is experimenting, like a young girl should. I know someday she will find one that feels right to her.

jacque'
jacque'

Anon good call, Inez ditto. We are our own worst enemy when we should be encouraging and uplifting. So what some viewers don’t care for how Solange wears her hair. IT’S HER HAIR! Some should think before they speak. None of us are liked by everyone and if you think you are watch out. Let’s just be happy that we all have the freedom to make choices. I’m sad, people should grow up, mind their own business and think about if someone was making disparaging remarks about you,how would you feel!

jillian scottland
jillian scottland

oh shut up that’s the way our hair grows out of our head me personally thinks that beyonce is a hot mess when it comes to hair solonge is a soultry cofident young women and becuz she’s wearing her hair natural make her even more beautiful and just becuz she wears a wig over her natural doesn’t mean anything sometimes us natural REAL PEOPLE want to try new styles

Ambie Nix
Ambie Nix

It’s so disheartening to hear people’s ignorant comments on natural hair. I’ve just been made aware of this comment that both Sandra Rose and Bow Wow made on Solange and women who choose to be natural. I must say, my feelings were and still are genuinely hurt. It’s hard enough being an African American let alone a woman, and a natural woman at that. We have to learn to stop being so hurtful, disrespectful, and ignorant! Why is it that being a woman with natural hair can’t be embraced!? Why are we always being made as a target of ridicule!?… Read more »

naima
naima

all this negative talk about black girls and women and our dark skin and nappy hair is plain evidence of white supremacist anti black racism. it does not matter the color of the person who hurls this garbage. it stinks just the same. it is self loathing plain and simple, self loathing and verbal violence which as we know becomes lethal and actual under the wrong mix of circumstances. it is a consequence of racism. and it is most distressing, sad and crazy making really that allegedly black african american people carry it forward. that is all.

Audrey
Audrey

I actually have more respect for Solange now that she decided to wear her hair naturally… it was the long weave that wasn’t working for her, at all. As for “bowWow” talking about women carrying themselves as men…uuummmm okay…??? There are plenty women out there with long hair that carry themselves like men, but I guess the fact that they wear their hair long and straight makes them more feminine than their counter parts. (not so bowweezy) A TRUE testament to a woman’s physical beauty is if she is still, or even more beautiful without her hair. The fact that… Read more »

Adrianna Bell
Adrianna Bell

Oh tis article pissed me off! Nappy Naps or anything of the sort is such an offensive word! It was created by white people bc they did not understand the texture of Blacks hair! Second, EFF BOW WOW AND HIS NO HAVIN CAREER!!!!!! WHO IS HE? A whack lonely soul trying to find himself and his DONE CAREER THRU HIS MUSIC! IDK who Sandra Rose is but I dnt even have to see her to know tht she has some inner issues herself! Solange has been and will always be beautiful! Im not even a fan of her. Im a… Read more »

TaDa
TaDa

Who is Sandra Rose? (pause to Google) Oooohh, ok. Next.

People need to stop letting their preference become their prejudice, especially if it’s going to hurt their professional careers. Bow Wow needs to STFU…we didn’t give up on him when he used to rock his braid-outs back in the day, looking like a little girl. And Chris knows he needs to get with a sister that doesn’t bruise easily, with his f’d up temper.

Vinnie
Vinnie
Reply to  TaDa

OMG :’) I love your comment haha

Vinnie
Vinnie

I don’t see Chris Brown as having hatred for black women..HE DATED ONE + I only really see black women or tanned white women in his music videos. As for Sandra, although I disagree with her statement, I think that Solange looks better with LONG natural hair rather than the short cut hair (although she looks beautiful however)because honestly, it does resemble a males hair. That’s all I’m saying…

Hope Martin
Hope Martin

My story has been a journey, I have always had chemically processed hair as a child, and it would break off because I couldn’t take care of it. Now that I can take care of my relaxed hair and it is long, I start to question the validity of my hair. I want it to be natural, and I want it to feel natural. Every two-three weeks my scalp informs me of my actual hair texture as new growth arises. I can no longer see myself indulging into chemicals that corrupt what God has given me. I applaud Solange for… Read more »

Mylah

I know this article was written a long time ago, but I HAD to comment. Sandra Rose is not someone whose defense you should EVER come to!!! She insults people on the daily and then when they respond or react, she cries victim or tries to flip it to go in her favor. She is an evil, unhappy AND unattractive person. Not necessarily because of her physical attributes (although…well, never mind, lol) but because of her messy, incendiary, at hateful spirit. I canNOT stand her and her negative site. I highly doubt she felt “hurt” by Chris calling her Black… Read more »

Houston

But i think shes absolutely beautiful. Whats wrong with her hair ? I guess im just not getting it i mean her hair is moiste curly and cut low whats the problem again ?
[img]http://bglhonline.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/251062_209.jpg[/img]

Midwestnija
Midwestnija

Yeah, this was a long time ago, but after reading the article (and looking up who Sandra Rose is), I had to comment. This is another one of those cases where I wonder why the thoughts of any of these people is worth commenting on. Just because someone is on TV or has a music contract doesn’t mean they are educated, interesting, or reasonable. What would happen if we all just ignored all the stupid comments in the world and valued intelligence over–whatever it is that draws us to people like these?