How do you stretch your hair for dry styling?

Avatar • Jun 29, 2010

Model Wakeema Hollis

So, you’re taking a break from your shrinkage-friendly styles, your wash and go’s, your wet twists, your shrunken twist-outs, to try some dry, stretched styles. This means you have to make the ‘jump’ — getting your hair from wet to dry while stretching it and keeping it moisturized. This, I know from experience, can be a huge challenge — especially for kinky/coily hair, which is particularly shrinkage-prone.

Blow drying is the easiest way to prepare for dry, stretched styles but I’m curious. Are there other techniques you use to stretch your hair for dry styling? Feel free to provide links to YouTube videos and blog posts!

Kim
Kim

When I am preparing my hair for a dry stretch hair style; I wash and condition it the night before and slick back into a bun. I tend to wear my hair in a bun for a day or two then take it down and twist it with shea butter and a little gel for hold.

Moni
Moni

I either braid or band my hair when wet to stretch it. To stretch it even further. You can add moisturizer (cream or lotion, not a spray) and rebraid after its dry, then take it down the next day.

Nikki

I band my daughters hair.

If you scroll down, you can see some pictures here of what it usually looks like:

Stretched hair from banding:

There’s a lot more posts on banding on the blog but they are mostly styles for little girls.

Krys
Krys

I usually braid my hair to stretch it. I love results and I get a ton of compliments on my hair.

Tasha

I usually dry twist my hair at night with medium to large two strand twists.

You can see it in this video:

The “stretched-ness” lasts for a full day, then it gradually starts to shrink again =]

Chantel

If Im want a more stretched out twist out or braid out, while my hair is wet I moisturize it and seal then part it down the middle and do two french braids or flat twists. The next day I take them down and braid or twist my hair as desired. This works just as well as using heat and is a lot less damaging on my hair.

Nicole
Nicole

After washing and using olive oil to seal along with a bit of gel, I put in large rollers usually used for creating volume. It stretches the hair, adds a bit of volume and adds a little curl at the ends.

BuenaventuraAvenue
BuenaventuraAvenue

A 2‑day-old braidout works well for dry styling.

skeeta25

Good question! Ever since I saw this video on just 4 french braids pinned down,

I do it Sun nt ‑Wed, then wed night I’ll flat twist for 2 days and rock a twistout fri nt, sat and sun. French braids look SO classy, like here… that I could wear them all week and they stretch GREAT.

Jc
Jc

I think it starts with washing out humectants (like glycerin, some gels, aloe vera, honey etc). Humectants hold on to water and essentially create a nice water rich environment around hair. Therefore in order to get dry hair styles, we need to wash off this product. I found great success in using large braids (6–8). My procedure if working with dry hair, just wet a little bit to get it flexible and then add some oil. Braid in the large braids and sleep. In the morning voila stretched hair. If hair is wet (for example just washed it) then the… Read more »

CashmereCurls
CashmereCurls

The easiest thing for me to do is to separate my hair down the middle and make two french braids or cornrows. I’ve tried banding but I don’t think the results are worth the effort on my hair.

kadiane*francophone
kadiane*francophone

@ Jc

If you can’t wait for 24 hours before it dries, unravel each braid and hold it from the tip, streching it in front of a fan for 5 minutes each. The advantage of this is you can cold dry the hair and you can stretch it in 2 sections by holding the hair with both hands. It dries faster.

Oh, i forgot. You need to use a towel paper to dry the strand before you stretch. Takes about 45 min to 1 h for the whole head. For those who don’t know it, my hair is 4C

cassadie

Great question! precisely what I’m in the process of doing right now. last night I washed and DC’ed my hair and then put into a about 10 braids all over my head (regular braids, not cornrows), secured with a bobby pin and left the ends loose. I intended to wear a stretched fro so that I could dry twist tonight but when I woke up, my hair was still damp. So I took a few snag-free hair bands and made three small puffs down the back of my head so as to keep the roots stretched and then secured the… Read more »

vonnie

I like Kcurly’s banding technique: http://newlynatural.com/blog/category/banding/

If i were to try and stretch it, that’d be how I suppose I would do it.

georgia
georgia

For most of my nappy life, my styles were on stretched hair. To me, nothing does it like combing and hair grease. Now of course I use hair butters. By combing out previously washed and detangled hair a second time and adding a good mix of oil to lubricate the hair, my hair gets stretched. The secret is not to add any moisture back as you continue to style. I have found that type 4b hair can be stretched smooth as a blow out approximately two to three days after a wash if it is combed out, oiled and set… Read more »

Ebony
Ebony

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpdgevmPV48 chisellecouture has a vid in ths link. after washing your put a leave in ( I use jane cater’s leave in) wrap your hair then put a then sleep with a slik scaf. in the morning unwrap your hair. you will have a blowout and it will be strecth. i did it and have 4b hair and it work well.

ubersavvyclassy
ubersavvyclassy

I stretch my hair with plaits. Right after I rinse the conditioner out, I put it in plaits and allow it to fully air dry. I am ready to style later on or the next morning. This helps tremendously!

Julzinha
Julzinha

My family is African so my mother thought me how to thread my hair which stretches the hair in a matter of hours through the tension of the threading.

Rae
Rae
Reply to  Julzinha

mine too, we’re ghanaian and my mom has been plaiting (or african threading) my hair since i was little. This works like a charm, even if you only leave it in for a little while, when you take out the thread it gives you a really nice stretched blow out look

Les
Les

Roller sets work well, both under the dryer & air-drying.

amber

twisting and banding!

Carolynn

I use the banding method to stretch my hair. Her is a link to my video on youtube:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmFANHWjgSI

Ashley
Ashley

I heard that after washing your hair, while its wet to place clips on your ends to allow your curls to hang

Joy
Joy

Julzinha (and whomever else), I am Nigerian by way of Washington DC. When I was younger, my mom used to thread my hair. Do you know of any YouTube videos where threading is posted? I would love to learn. I combed and tied my hair with rubber bands (same as banding…??? first time hearing this term) last night and woke up this morning to stretched hair. So pleased, but I am afraid that rubber bands might contribute to pulling out some of my hair, as it could suck the Atlantic Ocean to bare land and STILL be dry. I will… Read more »

Jiz
Jiz
Reply to  Joy

Hi, check out Nadine on youtube. Her channel is called Girls love your curls. hth

Moni
Moni

Joy, to minimize the dryness when banding, soak your rubber bands in oil before applying them to your hair. I like to use coconut oil because it penetrates my hair instead of just sitting on top and leaving it greasy, but ymmv. You can also use melted shea butter.

kadiane*francophone
kadiane*francophone

@ Joy

You can also use a satin scrunchy for banding. Banding is far better then threading cuz i think the threads are too sharp for the hair shaft. Beside, it takes way longer to do. When my hair was shorter, i will thread to have super stretched hair just sometimes.

Youtube: The videos are in french, search for ” tresses au fil” and you will find the videos that have threading as a subject.

Dee
Dee

i do a roller-set when its completely dry its stretched out.

Efe
Efe

After DCing, I section my hair in 6 parts. In each section, I add my leave in conditioner and do 3 braids. The next day, I unravel the braids and style the stretched hair.

H2WQueen
H2WQueen

Well, maybe I’m too simplistic, but i just blow dry it and my hair is usually so soft and moisturized (maybe a bit too moist) afterwards. How do i achieve this. I wash my hair, apply shea butter generouly for conditioning, then i sit under my steamer. This helps push the shea into my hair. Afters I get that paddle brush and my blow dryer and go for what i know, in sections of course. Takes me no time really and the shee helps the brush glide through my hair effortlessly. When i am done my hair is very soft,very… Read more »

H2WQueen
H2WQueen

I also want to add to my earlier comment, i don’t get it completely straight just enought to be stretched like i want and dry.

AfricanBeauty
AfricanBeauty

My method is:

Wash, add leave in when its half dry by that way the hair is half dry already.. use flexirods to stretch in sections not too large. sleep. wake up… remove and style. 2nd day do medium braids .. sleep and when u wake up its stretch and stays through the day! works for me 😉