Cristal // Natural Hair Style Icon

Avatar • Jun 15, 2010

Cristal is the second style icon to be nominated via Twitter 🙂 Follow BGLH on Twitter (@bglhonline) to nominate your hair idols.

Where do you live?
C:
I live in NYC, born and raised. I’m a grad student.

Why did you go natural?
C:
I was tired of going to the salon and experiencing the harsh chemicals on my head. I transitioned for about 6 months until I decided to cut it all off in December 2007.

Since then I’ve been able to motivate other women to go natural. My hair feels healthier and has definitely made me feel more proud of where I am from. Many Afro-Latinas experience insecurities because they are brought up to think a certain way about their hair and other features.

What’s your regimen?
C:
I try to deep condition my hair once a month. I wash it every week and trim it every 6 months or so. I’m more of a wash and go kind of girl because I’m still experimenting with hair styles. The best thing I do for my hair is condition and keep it away from extreme weather.

Is there a blog/webpage where we can find you?
C:

Amber
Amber

I love your hair. This is my 9th time going natural and I will agree that it makes you accept who you are, that’s what its making me do.

Christy Hyman
Christy Hyman

Word! She is really pretty and I love her styles. Good lookin out Twitter

Amelia

Also being afro-latina I definitely understand. Great hair! Great spirit!

Inez
Inez

Would have loved to hear more from her about the afro-latina experience as it isn’t one that you hear much about (aside from that 2007 or whatever article on Dominicans). Will there be an extension on this topic bglh? Perhaps other afro latinas could then discuss the issue right here.

Kasandra
Kasandra

lover her fro & statement!

Leila, I nominate @afrodisiacblog on twitter, both stes of her locs nad fro are the bomb!

Dheena
Dheena

Being an afro-latina, it amazed me how negatively my family and people of my country (Panama) viewed me when I went natural. They want us to have unhealthy big “novela” (soap opera) hair and teach us that permed roller sets and wraps are what is beautiful. Now that I have been natural for 3 years my aunts look at me in admiration because they have had so much damage from chemical treatments over the years. Thank you for sharing hermana!

Arnice

I absolutely love Cristal! She is one of the main reasons I chose to go natural. I remember during undergrad she randomly showed up on campus having had cut all of her long hair off. For someone like me it was so shocking, so bold, and such an inspiration. She definitely opened my eyes to the issues surrounding Afro-Latinas and hair. I always thought Latinas took such pride in having long hair, and I’m sure many do, but Cristal made it known she was interested in her hair’s HEALTH & as we all know relaxers aren’t the best thing for… Read more »