Zavi // Natural Hair Style Icon

Avatar • May 13, 2010

Where do you live?
Z:
I am from Southern California. I was a contestant in the first Miss Nappturality competition. I am a student, a full-time daughter and a big sister. I am going to start graduate school in the Fall and I like making things. I dabble in sewing and art/crafts.

Why did you make the decision to go natural?
Z:
I have always been natural. My whole life people have been telling me whatever you do DON’T GET A PERM !!! My mother started giving me control over my hair at the age of 10, since then I have learned a lot, and I actually do her hair now. Knowing how to do my own hair is really important to me.

I have always had a lot of hair, and when my mom started giving me more control over it I was slightly
overwhelmed and guilty of neglecting it. In the beginning I almost always wore my hair in a bun, cornrows or a ponytail. Eventually I started trying out new hairstyles and I taught myself how to twist.

What’s your regimen?
Z:
I try not to become dependent on any one product or brand, I keep it simple. I feel like stands of every hair type are growing on my scalp and my hair is always changing, so I just try to go with the flow. I gave up looking for a magic hair elixir a long time ago. The only thing that I use regularly is coconut oil and shea butter. What I put in my body is more important then what I put on my hair.

I usually wear my hair in an afro, twists/twist out, or an up-do. When I have the time I like to try new styles. I have been teaching myself how to french braid.

What mistakes have you made with your hair that you’ve learned from?
Z:
I used to think my hair was invincible. One Halloween I dressed up as Storm from the X‑Men and colored my hair with white hair spray. I thought I was too good for a white wig: BAD IDEA. I was in the shower all night long, my hair was so hard and sticky I had to use dish washing liquid to get it out. The next day I went to work with gray gooey hair. I wanted to cry. I learned that my hair is sensitive and needs plenty of TLC.

What’s the best/most effective thing you do for your hair?
Z:
My hair is like a garden, it grows because I give it the nutrients it needs from the inside and outside, and I leave it alone. I eat right and I stay away from products with harmful chemicals. I also understand my hair’s limitations, I don’t force it to be what it’s not, and I am happy with the hair I have.

Can you do a tutorial for the lovely updo that you entered in the Vintage Natural competition?

This was my first and probably my last hair tutorial video, it was much harder to make then I thought it would be. I have a lot of respect for those who post hair tutorials and advice on a regular basis.

Is there a blog/webpage where we can find you?
Z:
You can find me at http://afrodandy.blogspot.com/ and

Sasha-Shae

I love her hair..kudos to her being natural all her life. And that cornrow style with the bumps and pony= hotness!! I’m loving it!

Dawn
Dawn

Great interview — I just started learning about different products to put in my hair, but it was growing well before that. I have always eaten well (could drink more water though) and put about 3 products in my hair at a time. I would say my only major and beneficial change i made was the deep condition. I do it once a week. Other than that — shea and coconut oil are about it. Great hair and great interview!

Nikki

Love her hair. I almost attempted her bantu mohawk a week ago, I will definitely try it in the future. Glad to know she has a blog.

Shones

See, this video is a great reminder of why I love natural hair. It’s pliable and sculptural. It’s like clay — you can do just about anything with it. How cute is that updo in the vid! I’m even more determined now to not just chop my hair off when I hit the 18 month mark. For some reason, I just freaked out when my hair got to be that long. Not anymore! Thanks for the hair inspiration.

skeeta25

She made that awesome style look way to easy. Gorgeous hair!

Ameerah Pearman

woooooow… I wonder if she has ever cut her hair? I want my hair to grow like that while I’m still young enough to enjoy it!

slaaba of the dismantled D.A.P.
slaaba of the dismantled D.A.P.

Zavi and I were in a band in college, and I can attest that she is indeed as cool as she looks.

Gem
Gem

Zavi, how did you get your hair the way it is in the 1st pic? What’s your daily routine for wearing it down/out like that? Gorgeous!

Zavi

@ Gem
I wash it and let it air dry. When I am done washing I apply coconut oil. To maintain it I sleep with my hair in one these
braid cylinders with a braid bonnet over it.

@ Slaaba
Hawt Phya fo Lyfe

Sofull Sista

LOVE HER HAIR!!! The braided bantu style remind me of a dinosaur & I love it!!! Zavi is inspiration…proof again that our hair can grow long if we treat ourselves & our hair right! Great post!

trackback

[…] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Black Girl Long Hair. Black Girl Long Hair said: Zavi, lifelong natural with gorgeous #naturalhair http://bit.ly/9mPbYe […]

Nikki
Nikki

Her hair is gorgeous~!

562CityLife

Zavi rocks, she’s one of our best bloggers and ALWAYS brings great topics!

CurlyChronicles

hey you’re apart of 562? I worked with some of the 562 folks on Carnival Del Corazon Haiti benefit 😀 How cool! I need to learn how to sew so badly..pun intended!

Janna

Oh my heavens. I’m so in luv with all of that hair! Can’t wait until it’s me!

Lonitra
Lonitra

You are now one of my top favorite people. So cool. I love how you stated about knowing your hair limitations. Versatile yes, limitless no. I think some people over look that at times and do more damage. You and your hair are beautiful, Have a great journey in grad school. That’s a blessing in itself.

Zavi
Reply to  Lonitra

Thanks Lonitra ! I really needed that.