Originally posted on March 25, 2010
1. Adequate Sleep. I used to notice that after a good night’s sleep my skin looked incredible. I didn’t think much of it until I learned that the body recharges itself at night. I’ve started to think of sleep as an active part of my health and beauty regimen.
2. Local Market Basket. My (soon to be) mother-in-law signed me up for a farmer’s market basket. It costs $9.00 and it’s full of fruits and vegetables from local farms. It’s delivered every weekend and it’s a great way to force me to eat fruits and veggies (which aren’t treated with pesticides.)
3. Eyebrow waxes. This is the only beauty related thing that I do RELIGIOUSLY. And it’s always a morale boost. I’m amazed at how a well-defined brow can open up the face. It’s a cheap way for me to instantly feel better.
4. Cutting out soda and sugary beverages. This is actually something I started when I was 16. My godmother is a doctor and at the time she advised my mom and I to keep soda intake to a minimum because of the dehydrating effects and high calorie content. Drinking less soda and sugary beverages has given me an opportunity to explore other options. I drink a lot of water. And right now I’m loving homemade tea chilled and mixed with tonic water. I get the flavor I want with health benefits I need.
5. Bathing with black soap. I recently adopted black soap for my facial regimen, and it’s graduated to my full-body regimen. Black soap is manufactured in Africa, and it’s basically a cleanser chock full of shea butter and other moisturizers. It’s incredibly gentle and I love the fact that it’s something I can use on my hair, on my face or on my body.
So there are 5 of my health & beauty tips. What are some of yours?