Reader Question: How long will it take my hair to grow out?

Avatar • Apr 23, 2010

Isis submitted this question about length.

I’m 18, I attend an HBCU, and I’ve been natural for about a year now. I usually keep these twists extensions in for 2 months at a time… and I see partial growth.

How long will it take to reach my neck? I don’t know what to do…

Isis, your hair looks gorgeous at this length, so don’t worry too much 🙂 BGLHers what have your experiences been? How long did it take to get to neck-length? And how did you get there?

mari
mari

It looks like we have about the same texture, so let’s see…I BC’d Nov 2008 after transitioning for about 8 months, and my hair was fairly short, but not a bald fade or anything like that. Fast forward 17 months later (now) and my hair can touch my back, if I ever feel like stretching it out (I usually don’t). Your hair will definitely grow out instead of down, but there’s nothing wrong with that=o) Just keep it moisturized as much as possible, and the extensions are a good way to let your hair rest. Let it free sometimes though,… Read more »

Jc
Jc

First of all, Isis, your hair is cute. My hair was neck length in about a year. I had two small trims and at the time I was length obsessed so I know for a fact that my hair did make it to a litte over 6 inches. If you have a lot of shrinkage (my hair wants to be about an inch long no matter what length it is) then you would not be able to see the difference. I think if you are disheartened, try a gentle blow out to see how big your hair actually is. Also… Read more »

Melissa

Wow! If my hair looked that gorgeous short, I would probably keep it that way! So, yeah, don’t worry too much. Enjoy the process! : ) I think the rate of growth varies by person. My hair happens to grow like weeds no matter what I do, which is both a blessing and a curse. Long hair is a lot of fun, but it’s also a lot of work. I keep whacking it back to my shoulders because there’s only so much hair I can take! I would say, in general, let your hair do it’s own thing. The less you manipulate it,… Read more »

Ty
Ty
Reply to  Melissa

LOL LOVE THIS

shayna
shayna

It took me a year. Right now I’m at a year n 2 months. I wore braids for 3 months out the year, the rest of the time I co washed once a week and shampooed when necessary, always pre poo’d, deep conditioned once a week, trimmed my ends 3xs (maybe too often), and wore protective styles almost half of the year and re doing them every wk. Although its tempting don’t obsess about length, just do what’s necessary and eventually you’ll get there!!!

Applesauce
Applesauce

After wearing my hair in an ultra low shaved cut (less than 1/2 cm in length) for a couple months, I began growing my hair out. After about a year and a half of protective styles, gentle detangling and trimming 2–3 times a year, I have 15–19 cm (6–7 1/2 in) of hair growth.

LadyGh
LadyGh

My question for Isis is why do you want your hair to be neck length?

To answer hers: black hair tends to grow out not down. You can have alot of hair but it won’t necessarily lie down. From the naturals I know it took approx 2 years to go from TWA to about neck length. It might help pass the time if you styled your natural hair more often instead of wearing the braids.

For what it counts, I like your hair at this length. Looks really good

AGrlCanMac

I straightened my hair for the first time since my BC at 15 months and it was shoulder length. Now in its curly state, that’s another ball park. I’ve given myself 2 years for my kurls to be neck length (via a twist outs and braid outs).

AGrlCanMac

By 15 months post BC, my hair was shoulder length. I don’t do much to my hair: just the basic maintenance of keeping it clean, conditioned and moisturized and sealed. I had fun with protective styles like crochet braids and twists.

Caramelqueen
Caramelqueen

First off, you’re a lovely young lady and I LOVE your fro. When you say reach your neck, do you mean when stretched? I’ve been natural for three years and my hair when stretched is quite long (grazing bra strap), but if I wash it and let it air dry … chile it looks to be about two inches. =D Most people’s terminal length/rate of growth is determined by genetics. You can try supplementing w/MSM and eat more sulfur-rich foods to try and speed up growth. My tips for retaining length are 1st: MOISTURE, MOISTURE, MOISTURE!!!! 2nd: Protein/reconstructive treatments (I… Read more »

Beatstopper
Beatstopper

I BC’ed after 5 months of transitioning, and then started wearing kinky twists for another 5 months after that. I noticed my curlies in the back hitting my neckline around October, so I would say it was about 10 months after my BC. But everyone’s hair is different. It just so happens that my hair was touching my neck so easily because it’s 3c back there and I never knew until I went natural. It just hangs so loosely and is fine and limp compared to the rest of my head, where’s its 4a/b. So I agree, I wouldn’t be… Read more »

v.c.
v.c.

When I first got the BC, my hair was SO short. Did I care? Nah, not really. Did I care about growth? No. All I cared about was the health of my hair, plain and simple. The less concerned I was about my hair growth, the more I saw that my hair was not only growing but was healthy too. The less preoccupied you are about length the more you will actually see growth but also appreciate your hair for what it is at the moment. Enjoy the length at every stage of your natural hair journey. What difference would… Read more »

Ashley

I BC’d June 7, 2009 with NO transition. Basically had a fade. My hair grows slower than probably anyone on here. I had a trim in Aug, Oct, & this past Mar. I’m in law school without time or any ethnic stylists where I’m at so for the Oct trim I went to a Fantastic Sam’s where she took off an inch b/c she didn’t know what she was doing. I still get mad thinking about it. I’ve had my hair pressed three times (Christmas, and two other times this past quarter), and my hair is almost to the middle… Read more »

thelady
thelady

probably give yourself 2 years, a good way to stretch it without heat is flat 2 strand twists, just be patient it is easy to want to give up at the begining

Michelle
Michelle

I know that the young lady’s post was about hair growth(my hair is about her length and the exact same texture..i think she looks good like that)..I wanted to know if anyone has any tips on scalp health. I have VERY dry scalp and it sometimes creates breakage along my temples..I am trying Dr Miracle right now to keep my scalp from being so dry..does anyone have any tips?

Cyan
Cyan
Reply to  Michelle

For dry scalp you can do a pre-poo treatment with a peanut oil & castor oil mix, for 30 min under heat then wash out. This was a recomendation on another site that I saw (http://blackhairscience.com/forum/showthread.php?371-Pre-Treatment-for-Dry-Hair-and-Scalp)

Cee
Cee

I think the best thing you can do is to leave your hair alone. I too just graduated from college—An HBCU as well, and transitioned with braids for about 3 years. Once I stopped wearing the extensions my hair got fuller, and healthier, and grew a lot faster because I didnt have to worry about combing out tangles from the braids. I also grew to love and appreciate my natural hair much more.

I would suggest twisting and braiding your own hair, or wearing it out in that gorgeous fro you already have. The growth will come!

Jc
Jc

Ok I am confused, is shoulder length not longer than necklength?

I thought necklength meant for hair to touch the base of your neck. Ok I am lost.

Donna
Donna

Judging from your current length, I would say that if you keep doing protective styling your hair should be neck length stretched within the next year or so..I wouldn’t be too concerned though because your hair looks good now and you’re really pretty so I think your hair would look awesome at any length!

kinksncurls
kinksncurls

I agree with what everyone has said. With your current length maybe a year maybe more. I would suggest that you started to work with your own hair rather than wearing the kinky twists. I transitioned for a year with braids and have about a similar length as you. As soon as I BCed I was so tempted to cover my hair in braids, but my husband wouldn’t let me am I’m glad he didn’t. I’ve learned to do twists (which are my fav), braids, cornrows on my own hair at its current length and it looks cute. You just… Read more »

lexibugg
lexibugg

whose hair grows a 1/4 of an inch a month??? that’s only an inch every four months, that ain’t right!!! i would have two inches in that time!!!
i just chopped after 18 months of transitioning and my hair is between SL and APL. it was an easy transition and its been easy going since i chopped. i agree that should should wear the twist far less frequently and spend so time nurturing and getting to know your natural hair. you will definitely notice a difference in length retention

cocobakerchica
cocobakerchica

Isis, I have to join the chorus and tell you your look absolutely beautiful with the ‘fro and in twists. Looking at your hair now, the back length might is pretty long. If you want to see the length(or get an idea), when you wash your hair(or just dampen with leave in conditioning spray)and twist your hair into large two strand twists. This will relax the natural curl and give you a “guesstimate” of your length. Or you can follow other’s advice and gently blow dry your hair. Hair growth comes in cycles, and keeping it healthy as it grows… Read more »

BuenaventuraAvenue
BuenaventuraAvenue

It’s kind of hard to answer this question without more info from the asker. If Isis meant how long until her hair is literally neck length, all she would need to do is measure her hair now and divide by the number of months since her last touchup to find the growth rate. If she meant how long until her hair physically touches her neck that’s a different animal entirely! That will depend on the length of the hair, how much it shrinks, how long it gets before it shows hangtime, and what type of style it’s in. For me, the first… Read more »

LBell
LBell

Hello, pot watcher? Stop watching the pot! 😉

The classic quote of 1/4″-1/2″ per month is an AVERAGE. Some folks grow less, some grow more. Rather than focusing on growth, focus on keeping your length (retention). I’m sure you’re doing fine just as you are but you’ve gotten some good additional advice from these commenters.

Melinda
Melinda

Y’all stop scolding her!! What is wrong with wanting hair 2 b a certain length? or longer,? My most discouraging comments since I have been on my journey have been the ones from women thatI most admired until she sent me a comment once saying simply, ” I have lots of hair and it grows really fast”, yeah, that did a whole lot for MY self esteem! That is when I gave up on length watchin. It really hurt my feelings. So STOP IT Y’ALL!! GESH!!

Vanisha

it varies for everyone.. if you have hair like mine.. quite course 4b a little 4a.. you hair will be able to fool people lol. my hair is actually way longer then what it appears to be. my hair looks like its the same length as yours if i do a wash and go afro.. but when i stretch the back.. over my shoulder it goes like 3inch passed my collarbone :] so i can wear my hair big.. other days, make it look shorter :]
i love it

Mathy
Mathy

Hello Girlly!

Being a new Natural can always be adventurous and sometimes tough. Length comes with time. I realize now that everyone’s case is different for some people it can take a year for their hair to be shoulder length for others two,sometimes three or four. The speed of your hair grows with how you look after it. When you stop worrying about length you it catches you around the bend when you least expect it. Why don’t you take a picture of it every two to four weeks. You’ll soon begin to see the difference. Keep it up baby girl. 🙂

AnonymouslyYours
AnonymouslyYours

braided/ twisted extensions really helped me grow my hair… so if you keep up what you’re doing (making sure to take care of your hair underneath the extensions) then you’ll be fine! Extensions are also great bc you can take your mind off of length for a while…

misstae5289
misstae5289

do u go to morgan…sorry off topic lol.but like ppl have already said,just be patient and STOP trying to watch it grow.shrinkage is probably making it appear a lot shorter than it wouls be if it were straightened

vonnie

oh wow, those twists are a PERFECT thickness/length, i need mine like that. Love your fro tho. Did you mean neck length while in fro or while straightened? because straightened it’d be probably neck length bob

IsistheNICEST
IsistheNICEST

Hotep. Thank you everyone. 🙂 I asked for neck length because that seemed plausible. I just wanna be the black girl with long hair, dig? I was surprised it even grew at all honestly. I’m not sure what texture i have, i think its 9 ether, it doesnt cooperate though. I try not to handle it often, but i want to speed up this growth. i trim it about once every 3 months, maybe I shouldn’t. I don’t have a permanent regimen. I use alot of childrens products (kids organics by africas best). I’m not to sure how thats treating my… Read more »

IsistheNICEST
IsistheNICEST

I do go to morgan.

IsistheNICEST
IsistheNICEST

Will someone who has my hair please share their regimen?
when i say my hair, i don’t mean the mixed women. although, you can contribute as well.

misstae5289
misstae5289

blount towers!!! i recognize those walls from anywhere lol go bears 🙂 but back on subject my regimen is pretty simple:wash once a week with giovanni 50/50 and deep conditionovernight with r&n breakage defense mask.garnier fructis leave in and either ic fantasia styling gel if im doing a wash and go or put it in a ponytail with coconut oil and shea butter to dry for a day and then twist with ors loc and twist gel and leave those in for a week. my regimen is really simple and my hair is growing so fast

C
C

Isis, please stop trimming your hair. Aren’t you trying to let it grow? 😉

Unless it’s damaged, a trim really isn’t necessary.

ByrdD
ByrdD

Liddle sistah! You are wonderful in your crown what ever size(lenght) it is. I have had all sorts of lengths and loved each one. You gotta be peaceful with what you have and before you know it, it will be on your shoulders and you’ll be saying, “my fro don’t stand no mo”…;)
You are rocking it right now, believe me.…
“Two Fingers and a Fist”!

Ola
Ola

your hair is beautiful.
but what hair did you use for your twist?

Katrina
Katrina

Newly natural but I just wanted to give you a shout out. Your hair looks beautiful and I’m a Morgan Alumni!

jazz
jazz

I’ve noticed that you have to even out your styles. when you take out the twist leave your hair loose for a couple of weeks. it takes away the stress of extensions. and i have always found that when your hair is loose, you can use a soft to medium brush on your hair after the hair has been detangled ‚and it has dried you can rub some penetrating oils such as Coconut, and olive oils and brush your hair to promote growth and also give your hair sheen

jazz
jazz

I also agree with Lbell. It’s best to just focus on your hair being healthy and strong. length will come in time. for some folks a lil time others alot. I cut my hair usually once a year because I’m not a fan of long hair anymore but from a TWA it usually takes about 8 to 9 months for the back of my hair(hair starting around the top of my ear) to reach the bottom of my neck. and usually thats as long as i let it get

Ogo
Ogo

@Michelle I used to have scalp issues too. My problem was that I was using gunk (Frutis) that clogged my follicles and made my head itchy. Oh yeah, it was dry too. I would say, stop using Dr. Bonner’s. I’ve never used that line. Maybe it’s awesome. But, maybe you should switch to lighter, WATER based products. In fact, make your own. An 8 oz spray bottle, 5–6 oz distilled water, castor oil 1 ‑2 oz (eyeball it), 1oz jojoba oil, 6–10 drops of tea tree oil and some drop of rosemary oil unless you have high blood pressure. Tea… Read more »

Ogo
Ogo

Isis, Love your hair and your style! <3 If you’re looking for a regimen, look around at the featured nappies on this site and read their regimens. But, KEEP IT SIMPLE. I’ve been napptural for years and I ‘m still learning this. Basics: clean, style, protect, moisturize, strengthen and trim. (I’m someone who needs trims every 3 months b/c of split ends. This might also be b/c I don’t drink enough water…dunno.) Anyway, find a two wk routine that encompasses all these elements — ie, wkly wash, biwkly deep condition, monthly or (every other month) protein and 2 wk twist… Read more »

Amahle
Amahle

Is this the Isis that does Udoli style?

DeePDX
DeePDX

Isis, keep using the twist and braid extensions. For the first 10 months of my natural hair journey I did not experience a lot of growth, but truth be told I always had my hand in my hair, always styling, always loading it up with products. In short, I stunted my own growth by doing too much. It wasn’t until I started wearing spring twist for 2–3 months at a time that I SAW real growth. The only thing I did with my hair to credit its growth these last 3 months was not touching it, but still moisturizing it daily,… Read more »

Tamika
Tamika

Aww Isis! I feel ya girl. I personally had a difficult time as well and I remember feeling so powerless because we simply can not force our hair to grow faster. It sucks. ha. I personally had a spiritual awakening. I even weaved mine up a few times. I see that you have braids in one of your photos. Wear them with no guilt!!!!!! Do what you need to do “in the meantime”. You have options:)