Monique // Natural Hair Style Icon

Avatar • Apr 8, 2010

Where do you live?
M:
I’m from Shelbyville, KY, but I stay in Louisville, KY for school. I am a student at the University of Louisville and I am majoring in Art. After I graduate I am hoping to become an Art Therapist.

Why did you make the decision to go natural?
M:
I had been contemplating going natural for about 2 years before I actually got up the courage to do it. I had always been afraid, because I was used to having long hair. However, I really needed a change physically and mentally (I figured it would help me grow up). I was tired of hiding behind my hair and looking like everyone else.

I’m so happy with my decision and think my new TWA (teeny weeny afro) fits me.

My last relaxer was August 1, 2009 and I big chopped on March 20, 2010, so I transitioned for 7 months. I transitioned by wearing buns and braidouts most of the time. I have always been very shy, but going natural has made me feel more confident and more comfortable with myself.

What mistakes have you made with your hair that you’ve learnt from?
M:
Too much manipulation causing less curl definition and frizzy hair. Also being too heavy handed with products (it just wastes product and can look bad).

What’s the best/most effective thing you do for your hair?
M:
Even though I haven’t been natural for very long the most effective thing I do for my hair is wetting my hair daily. I haven’t experienced dryness with my hair (yet) and I believe that wetting it is the reason why.

What do you use in your hair?
M:
I’m still trying to find products without becoming a product junkie lol, but right now I’m using VO5 for co-washes, Organix coconut milk shampoo and conditioner, Creme of Nature leave in conditioner, and I seal with coconut oil.

How does your hair express who you are?
M:
It is unique and beautiful. It shows that I am not like anyone else and I’m comfortable in my own skin.

Mira
Mira

I often find that natural hair shows more character in a person than straight hair…this is definitely the case with you and your hair. Love the short, natural!

ChiChi
ChiChi

So many of us look younger with our natural hair. Cute hair, girl.

Nikki

I agree with both Mira and ChiChi, you look lovely; kudos for stepping outside the box and into a the exosphere!

Curly Gigi
Curly Gigi

Your hair is soooooo beautiful! I can just imagine your long flowing curls next year. Everyone will be envious. Congratulations and thanks for the inspiration!

Monique
Monique

Thanks 🙂

BGLH
BGLH

I glad you freed yourself! So many of us do it and its about time we’re recognized in a positive way. Good Hair should of had naturals and not those other girls that look (white) in my opinion!

abenis

Girl I can’t believe you cut all that hair off!(Relaxer days talking)
Your hair is beautiful and the cut definitely fits you. Glad you realized it is just hair. (Now natural and loving it talking)
Keep on Growing!

Amma Mama
Amma Mama

You are BEAUTIFUL either way! I love the TWA! Go girl!

Amma Mama
Amma Mama

P.S. I love your cardigan in the 1st pic, lovely color!

Crissa

OMG! One word to describe that hair: diva! 🙂

msjaim
msjaim

im not gonna act like her straightened har wasnt cute, but the natural curls are hot! a sister was getting her “sultryness” on in those pics!

Rashida

Love your hair. Hope you’ll come out sometime and join us at a Naturally Flyy KY event.

Victoria
Victoria

My hair looks like your hair in the BEFORE pic. However, I use a flat iron to straighten my hair. Not relaxer. I love having long hair. Everywhere I go people stop to ask me about my hair. Most want to touch it to verify it’s real and not a weave. I will NEVER cut my hair short. It’s what God gave me and I intend to keep it long for as long as He’ll allow me to. Besides, why throw away what so many Black women spend a fortune to pretend to have?