Cali aka ChiselleCouture // Natural Hair Style Icon

Avatar • Apr 15, 2010

Where do you live?
C:
I live in Washington DC. I’m a free spirit, that’s currently in the process of opening an online store, I also style hair on the side for friends and family.

Why did you make the decision to go natural?
C:
Relaxed hair bores me. I grew tired of wrapping it every night, split ends, being afraid of the rain, etc. I wanted to try something new.

I got my last touch-up Aug 07, I never got them that frequently maybe 2–3 a year. I decided to go natural sometime in 2008, my decision wasn’t set in stone. I told myself if I didn’t like how my hair looked I could just go back to relaxing. I grew out my natural hair and constantly trimmed away at the relaxed ends until my natural hair got to a length I was comfortable with. Finally after 18 months of transitioning my natural hair was hitting my collarbone and I did my “not so big chop” lol.

In what ways has going natural affected you?
C:
Honestly it hasn’t affected me at all. I enjoy being natural but I’m the same girl whether I wear my hair straight, wavy, curly, kinky, or bald. It has, however, helped me learn how to properly care for my hair.

What mistakes have you made with your hair that you’ve learned from?
C:
I’ve learned to stop being lazy and braid or twist my hair up at night, which helps to decrease the amount of single stranded knots I get.

What’s the best/most effective thing you do for your hair?
C:
Protective styling has helped my hair out tremendously! It protects my ends from drying out and getting knotted, its easier to moisturize, and I don’t have to worry about styling my hair for a week. Of course all these things lead to length retention, which we all love!

What do you use in your hair?
C:
Currently, I’m experimenting with just about every product on the market! However, there are a few products that I keep in rotation. Cantu Shea Butter Leave In, Raw Whipped Shea Butter, Tropical Traditions Coconut Oil, V05 Moisture Milks Conditioner, Suave Tropical Conditioner, and my new favorite Pantene ProV 5 Minute Strengthening Mask.

How does your hair express who you are?
C:
My hair is a reflection of myself. Raw, in your face, very diverse, unclassified, and at times a bit crazy!

Is there a blog/webpage where we can find you?
C:
You can find me on youtube at www.youtube.com/chisellecouture; follow me on twitter @thesupreen, and follow me on tumblr at www.thesupreen.tumblr.com

You were born an original. Don’t die a copy.” ‑John Mason

beautywithcurls

I Had That John Mason Quote On MY Facebook Status Last Week, LOL It’s Very Important To Me To Be Me :-D.….

ChiselleCouture Your Hair Is Gorgeous As Always!!!

Sandy
Sandy

Sandy: Oh my! What utterly gorgeous natural hair you have!

Cali: The better to play with and style, my pretty!

You give natural hair a good name!

dajewel
dajewel

YESSSSS!!!!!! i love her youtube channel!!!!!!!!! she’s dope!!!!!!

Stacy
Stacy

I have watched a few of her ‘how-to’ videos on you tube. She is an inspiration. Thanks Cali for sharing your lovely hair and lovely styles.

curly+kinky+fierce
curly+kinky+fierce

I love ms Cali bc she is for real one of the most sweetest and realest chicks on YouTube..no snotty, stuck up, “im too good to comment back” type of deal with her! And she is so not a bragger and humble…

I love her style & her hair..thats my YT bud! Go girl!

LexiWithTheCurls

Chiselle’s hair is amazing and I agree she is definitely one of the best on YouTube. I need to know how she did her first style. Its amazing

Sofull Sista

I <3 Cali, her hair is fab and she does a ton of really cute styles, YES!

NappturallyNigerian

I love this girl’s hair! I’m always watching her Youtube clips

Nika

beautiful girl with beautiful hair!

Candice
Candice

Love her!!! She is so informative for such a young person. Follow her if you would like a person who will show you fresh new styles, responds back when you ask questions, and has a very cute and unique way of presenting herself and her videos. Congrats on your feature Cali 🙂

angela
angela

I have to say that these are some of the most creative and beautifully elegant styles I have see regarding any type of hair.

Tamika

So glad you featured her.. Girl your hair is awesome, and your from DC.. DMV Naturals unite haha, im in MD @meeekmillz..

luvmylocs
luvmylocs

your videos are great! you are such a pretty girl. i was thinking when i saw your videos how beautiful all your features are! stay positive!

Christy Hyman
Christy Hyman

Lovely.…And I commend her on getting over the laziness of maintaining a nighly ritual with her hair. Goodness I need to get better with that!

Khyla

WOW!!! I love her hair! I’m subscribing to her channel right now!

tiredofthebs
tiredofthebs

Love her!

lexibugg
lexibugg

i found Cali’s youtube channel a few weeks back, after a video was featured on another site!!! of all the natural women on youtube , i find her the easiest to relate to due to the fact that she is a stylish, creative, young lady. she actually inspired me to big chop, i had been transitioning for 18 months and planned on going for two years because i was afraid to cut off so much hair, but seeing her length and creative styles at that point in her journey, eased my fears of having such short hair(past collar bone, near… Read more »

Amma Mama
Amma Mama

I LOVE the last pic! You are sooooo GORGEOUS!!

Alice

She’s gorgeous! I can’t believe I’ve never seen her on youtube until now!!

Alice

Ashleigh L.A.

I think this girl needs to do a couple of tutorials. Her hair is gorgeous. I really like that updo!

Adriene
Adriene

I love her hair and styles!!! I will check out her Youtube!

Nirel
Nirel

I found cali’s youtube page around the time i was tryn to figure out what i wanted to do with my hair.…i wasn’t even thinking @ going natural i just didn’t want to use heat from flat iron or dryers on my hair.…but i love your page and i hope she keeps posting videos.…

Joy
Joy

I will definitely check out your You Tube site, because I need help figuring out what to do with my hair, how to do it, etc. But with you being in DC, do you know of any spots I can go for natural styling? I need a stylist majorly!!! Your hair, btw, is gorgeous!

Charnika

She recently deleted all of her videos on her YouTube channel. I hope everything is OK with her. I loved her creativity when it came to protective styles.

imaginary
imaginary

@Charnika yeah I noticed the sudden radiosilence from her youtube page too. I hope everything’s ok with her…

carii
carii

what happen to her everthing is gone her youtube, twitter, tumblr..everything, i hope she okay too

TishaSmilez
TishaSmilez

Please get your Youtube Page back up! you had awesome stuff that really helped me a lot 🙂

Nikki
Nikki

Alot of people downed her about cutting her hair. She’s a cosmetology student and cut her hair during a natural hair show. She wanted to try something new and people just didn’t get it, so she shut down her pages because she didn’t want to deal with the drama.

dnisey
dnisey
Reply to  Nikki

Smh@ ignorance… I really hope she comes back, she was such a positive n inspiring person. F’ those ppl who can’t understand or appreciate change… I miss u girl!! I wish u all the best!

jhi
jhi

I miss her so much on YouTube! Does anyone know where to find her?

Tash
Tash

she is one of the people who inspired to me become natural! Hope she comes back to youtube again = D

Victoria Tillman
Victoria Tillman

Ive been tying to track this girl down. I used to be a devoted fan to her YouTube page, she actually inspired me to go natural. She has gorgeous hair and the bomb hair tips and tricks.… Does anyone know where I can find her?

Maya
Maya

When you find her please let me know.. she was the bomb.