Nadjia // Natural Hair Style Icon

Avatar • Mar 22, 2010

I met Nadjia at the BGLH Meetup Saturday. She agreed to share her hair story on BGLH 🙂

All photos by Nicolette Stanton photography.

Where do you live?
N:
I live in the South Shore area of Chicago and I rep the South Side. I’m an ELM Education student.

Why did you make the decision to go natural?
N:
I was tired of looking the same. In November of ’07 I started letting it grow out and I cut all the perm off in Jan ’08.

In what ways has going natural affected you?
N:
First I noticed the men, and how they reacted to natural hair. My feelings were hurt at first because I was single and used to getting attention from men. When I cut the hair off they wouldn’t even look at me. I got over it because I am happy with myself. Besides those shallow brothers aren’t my type so it’s easier to weed them out. I feel free in a sense. It’s a lot of work in the winter because of the cold…can’t wash it and go. But my hair is fun and makes me happy.

What mistakes have you made with your hair that you’ve learnt from?
N:
Using gel. My texture can be funny. Gel makes it look like a jerry curl.

What’s the best/most effective thing you do for your hair?
N:
I need some help with that. I use Infusium 23 leave in conditioner when I wash it, but I can’t say I do a lot to it. I two strand twist it with lock and twist gel sometimes, to let it breath from me messing with it.

What do you use in your hair?
N:
I wash it with Garnier Fructis Fortifying Hydra-Curls shampoo and conditioner. I use Kiss My Face Medium Hold styling gel from Whole Foods. And I spray Fantasia IC Hair polish mist for shine. I will also use a little of the IC gel for fly aways but not a lot.

How does your hair express who you are?
N:
It’s free, like me. A little tamed but has a wild side. Cultured. Naturally beautiful because it is healty inside. It’s black and powerful.

Anything else you want to add?
N:
I think this site is great. If anyone has any tips on what I can use to define the natural curls more without it looking like a jerry curl, please let me know. Thanks :o) L says~There was actually a great post on this recently. Check it out HERE.

Nicole

I think your hair is beautiful! I have been natural for 2 months and I use gel activator to keep my hair soft and because I haven’t found anything else that helps to define my curls without leaving it dry or costing a grip of money! I have two children in high school, one of which is getting ready to go to college, and the other one who is active in sports, so my spending is limited. When it grows out more I can not wait to do a twist out, which is my all time favorite hair style. For… Read more »

Maya
Maya
Reply to  Nicole

You should try Motions “Define My Curls”. It works great without leaving my hair crunchy and after a “dry” twist-out, there is great length. You can find it anywhere Im pretty sure and only cost about $5–6.

beautywithcurls

Your Hair Is Gorgeous! This Is What i posted b4 for the curl definition:

The quickest and easiest way to refine your curls would be to put more conditioner back in after you detangle then either rinse it under cooler water or leave it in…then don’t touch it.You can also put a little eco styling gel/whatever you like when it still soaking wet to help with the frizz and add more definition if the conditioner doesn’t give you as much as you like.

vonnie

loving the looks! Yours is the first shaved side haircut that I actually liked. It was cute there 😀

Aisha
Aisha

Wow, Nadjia and her hair are beautiful. Girl, you need to be giving US tips! Lol

Jemmitt
Jemmitt

I’ve found that Aveda’s Be Curly works wonders in combatting frizz and curl definition. Also, I’ve found that hot oil treatments with Coconut oil works well.

AnaNicholle
AnaNicholle

Is the shaved side[[which looks amazingly awesome!!!]], is that before or after you went natural?

Amma Mama
Amma Mama

I like her hair and pics! Pretty gurl! and that shaved mohawk is so CUTE! Very edgy!

Jackie Mc
Jackie Mc

Hey Girl!!!!

Nice to see you on here. I couldn’t make it because I was out of town, but you know your hair is fly!!!

Jackie Mc

Nadjia
Nadjia

Thanks everyone for the tips and love. .@ AnaNicholle Actually I just shaved it this past November for my birthday. I get it straightened sometimes so that’s why the hair looks different. I decided to let it grow back in February so I can twist it. There is about an inch of hair on the right side under the hanging hair lol I just always make sure to swoop it or pin it to make sure you cant see the mini fro. Plus I have a lot of hair to cover it 🙂

iri9109
iri9109

i second beauty with curls…co wash in the shower (rinsing with cold water really helps with frizz) and then you can put in a little conditioner/gel (i like elasta qp feels like silk..its a liquid gel and doesnt dry crunchy at all..and you dont need alot) but after that DO NOT TOUCH YOUR HAIR (AT ALL!!!!!! lol) UNTIL IT DRIES.

NeNatural
NeNatural

I think your hair is beautiful! Did you cut your hair into the bob shape? I took some advice that worked for me is to not rinse out conditioner and not to worry about the foam, just keep working it in each strand. Garnie didn’t blend well in my hair but organix and pantene’s beautiful lengths does wonders. My favorite shampoo is Shikata by Bronner Borthers not the other stuff. It cleans very quickly.

gingerfizz
gingerfizz

Yay, Chicago!

I actually would love to see more on how to do hairstyles. I’m pretty set on keeping my hair moisturized and all that good stuff. But, I see these posts with all these girls rocking their hair in such cute styles. I’d like to know how they achieve the styles, as well.