Franchesca // Natural Hair Style Icon

jpg17
tumblr_kta968gUOX1qz887do1_400

tumblr_kvwb25eEqq1qz887do1_400

tumblr_kuk2ogKTyF1qz887do1_400

Where do you live?
F:
I’m originally from South Florida, but I currently live in New York City. I’m a graphic designer, comedian and video blogger.

Why did you make the decision to go natural?
F:
I went natural shortly after I graduated high school in 2002. I had always wanted to go natural but I wasn’t confident enough during my high school years.

Franchesca relaxed
jpg18
After severely damaging my hairline from perming and dying I decided that I wanted to stop perming but wasn’t sure about the alternatives or how to go natural. Once I went away to college I finally made the decision because I was living in Ann Arbor, Michigan and there wasn’t a black hair salon where I could get a relaxer. The closest black salon was in Detroit and didn’t have a car and also couldn’t afford to travel there and get my hair done.

I started transitioning with two strand twists and cornrows until I got to a point where my natural hair was long enough to rock a twa. I cut all my hair off the summer after my freshman year of college and never looked back!

Why did you decide to lock?
F:
I was a huge Lauryn Hill fan in high school (Lauryn where you at?!) and I always thought her hair was beautiful. She really inspired me to get locs. But I didn’t know anything about them, so once I went natural I started doing research online to find out more about the process and see if it was right for me. So after a year of wearing a tiny fro, I decided to make the leap to locs. I started my locs in February of 2004. So my locs are 6 years old this month!

Being natural has had a HUGE affect on my life. Mainly, it’s increased my confidence. My hair was such a burden when it was relaxed — financially and emotionally. I no longer have to stress about my hair looking good (I usually just wear it down or in a ponytail) or worry about spending $60+ every six weeks to get a touch up. Also, because I’ve made a name for myself by video blogging about my hair, I’ve been given an incredible opportunity to inspire other young women to go natural and have confidence in their natural beauty, which is really cool.

What mistakes have you made with your hair that you’ve learnt from?
F:
I dyed my locs after a year and while I love my natural highlights, I wish I had gone to a professional to have it done. Mainly because some of my locs have thinned where the dye was and I think that was a result of me not completely removing the dye. Other than that, I think I’ve done a pretty good job of maintaining my hair on my own.

What’s the best/most effective thing you do for your hair?
F:
I like to keep my roots very neat, so I retwist every 2 ‑3 weeks. This keeps my hair looking nice and fresh.

What do you use in your hair?
F:
I use Jamaican Mango and Lime loc and twist gel, The Jane Carter Solution shea butter moisturizer and Organic Root Stimulator Uplifting shampoo

Can you do a tutorial for one of your favorite styles?

What’s the best thing about being natural?
F:
Letting my boyfriend play with my hair and knowing he can’t “mess it up”
Going swimming
Riding with the top down
Walking home in the rain

Is there a blog/webpage where we can find you?
F:
Yes! My main youtube channel is http://youtube.com/chescaleigh and I also have a channel just for hair, http://youtube.com/chescalocs . I also have a blog, http://blog.franchesca.net

the girl
the girl

big ups florida! what part?

Matlhodi

:-(. Girl, don’t make me cry now. Had I not gave in to the baby blues, you would’ve been my lock-twin. I also started mine around the same time as yours & they were the same thickness as yours. You’re beautiful & they really suit you.

Jc
Jc

She is funny, I love her youtube channel

NaturalChica

Lovely post! Your hair is fab and your YouTube channels are out of this world! Keep up the great work chica and stay fly! : ) *Mae*

Julia, the Thanksgiving Girl

Franchesca is amazing and is such a sweet genuine person too!

Safiya

hi iam a 58 year old afro american woman, full of fhsiaon and love to dress during the years i have lost most of my hair in the top of my head, from glue weave, i have been wearing wigs for almost a year now some of the hair is growing back but slowly i have a full hair all around sides and back, would i be candidate for the netting weave to get the tom boys look please help me i live in dallas texas and willing to travel to wherever to get help.

miranda

Too awesome! I’m glad to find a new hair-spiration as I recently locked my hair two weeks ago. My hair is pretty short and it’s all in the beginning stages but I’m excited for when they’ll be as healthy and lovely as hers. I just can’t give up!

Lasnoces
Reply to  miranda

Dear Anu,I have a wide bald spot in the center back of my head, and it has been this way for a few years, with very liltte regrowth. None of the remedies from stylists and dermatologists have worked. I wear a wig, but I want to come out of it and wear a natural style. I do not want any chemicals or weaves. Can you suggest a few styling options for me?Thanks.

Sidney
Sidney

I LOVVE Franchesca! She and her bf are soooo cute together and I’m pretty positive that she was one of the main people who reassured me in my decision to go natural. Seeing all that beauty on a woman without the stereotypical long, relaxed hair made me realize what I had known all along: natural hair fits me and my personality a whole heck of a lot better and that relaxed hair had to go. Thanks Franchesca! You got it going on.

Amma Mama
Amma Mama

Pretty Girl and pretty hair!
I just love that 3rd pic! soo cute!

franchesca

thanks again for the feature!

@thegirl i’m from west palm beach florida. wu palm in the house! 🙂

thanks for all of the kind words and comments 🙂

Brit
Brit

i love franchesca! i follow her youtube-she’s so funny and stylish. good choice, bglh!

Kha
Kha
Reply to  Brit

Henrietta, it’s obvious from what you say that you have a sontrg sense of self and love and accept your gifts. I am happy for you and wish more sisters felt the way you do. After taking that trip with my friend, I felt it wasn’t my place to judge her decision, but to support her because this is her journey. Thank you so much for weighing in here and I wish peace and acceptance for your sister and others like her.

Mom of Twins Loc'd
Mom of Twins Loc'd

Keep up with the hairstyling demos please. I Locked my daughters’ hair two years ago and I’m always looking for different styles and techniques. My 7 year old twins love their locks!!!

the girl
the girl

@franchesca

no way! i was born and raised in west palm!!! what high school did you attend?

Franchesca
Franchesca

@thegirl

Ha!! Small world! I went to Dreyfoos School of the Arts

Alice
Alice

Franchesca,
Keep up the good work! You are an inspiration to me. I know the world as a whole will benefit from your endeavors. The hair is fabulous! And you, look spectacular! I have taken note of your products for my use and for my granddaughter. Thanks for sharing. Oh, and I love all the videos your Mother has shared with me and my family … Blessings!

Alice

I love her hair! She’s making me jealous of all her creative and fun looks 🙂

Alice

Delores
Delores

Hi Franchesca I love your locs. I started my locs 3 years ago May 10. My problem is that my hair is super fine in the top. Everyone compliment me on my locs but, I can’t handle the finesse. I dyed my hair brown and the thinness really showed. Will be dying it back black soon. I only color it to cover the gray. Is there anything I can do to thicken the top of my hair? I love the pipe cleaner curls. Will definitely be trying it. I only re-twist once a month due to the thinness of my… Read more »

Skii
Skii

beautiful girl…beautiful hair!!

Monz03b
Monz03b

Her hair is beautiful!!

Candis
Candis

I love the curly look in your bottom pic. Ive been considering dreading my hair with my mother for like 2 yrs but havent been bold enough to really go through with it. I love changing my hairstyles and thought I would be limited if I went to the dread side. BUT from what I see in that curly pic I can tell that I could style them and dye them if I wanted. Go Girl!

Dee (Durelene)
Dee (Durelene)

I love Franchesca i first seen hr on her “shit that white girls say to black girls” vid SHE IS SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO FUNNY!!!!! then after looking on her page i realized she is natural AWESOME. glad to see her on here, great article.

Dee (Durelene)
Dee (Durelene)
Reply to  Dee (Durelene)

OH i forgot to add, she is sooooo FREAKING BEAUTIFUL!!!!