Do Aveda products work on kinky hair?

Avatar • Mar 2, 2010

BGLHer Clara submitted this question…

I’m a third time natural from Cincinnati, Ohio who is NEVER EVER going back! I finally found a stylist who doesn’t have natural hair but her daughter does and she appreciates the naps.

In the past, I took my own products to her, but she just relocated to Dillards Salon which means I am no longer allowed to bring my stuff. Dillards uses Aveda products and she has asked me to do my research and tell her what products from Aveda to get that could work for my hair. I have very thin, fine and curly/nappy hair. My shrinkage is probably 200% and I am not kidding. When I my hair is stretched is comes down to my chin but when I wear a wash and go, it’s a very TWA! So, if you can please ask my fellow naturals with such hair type or know someone with my hair type that uses Aveda, to give me suggestions.”

Alright ladies, what have your experiences been?

lina40

not sure if my hair matches yours — you can check my fotki album (member name okorolina40) But I have used the following Aveda products for years with great success, although my hair is very THICK and coarse (4b-ish): My commercial holy grail products this year so far have been the Aveda detoxifier shampoo and the damage remedy restructuring treatment — I feel like i have a whole new head of hair every time I use them. I have also used these with good success too: Brilliant Shampoo and Conditioner — love it! I use the conditioner as a leave-in… Read more »

Ambi
Ambi

I have 4a type hair and the products didn’t work all that great for my hair, but it did give it a nice fragrance.

misslycia

I used Aveda products during my transition years ago. My hair is very thin and fine too. The Brilliant Anti-Humectant Pomade was good for braidouts. I also got my hair colored at an Aveda Institute, and I loved it. You can see the pics here:

I prefer to use more natural products now, but Aveda is better than most of the mainstream products out.

FurryCoconut
FurryCoconut

it didn’t work for me

Brit
Brit

well i haven’t used aveda products, but i do know that no two head of hair are the same. if i were you, i’d get one of the sample packs that addresses what you think your hair needs, and just try it.

Ru
Ru

i was really excited about using Aveeda and i got basically nothing out of it. It actually made my hair really tangled which is weird.
Maybe it’s just my hair type though.

kadiane*francophone
kadiane*francophone

She likes one of it and you can see her hair type: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FANNJ9E-ps

She does to and the last link gives you a glance at her hair type:

Good luck

skeeta25

oh girl, maybe you can talk to the salon management to do a trial by ordering a small amount of a productline that will work better with our hair? You could say that it will attract more “diverse” clientele. ;o) Or, maybe your stylist can do your hair elsewhere, like at home or a friends shop… Or maybe you could search for someone else. From the reviews above, I would be scared to use products that didn’t truly understand or help my hair type, you have to keep those hairs for years and you want them as healthy as possible.… Read more »

Clara Disi

Thanks everyone, I really appreciate all the information. What other products would you recomend for someone with my hair type? Have a great evening!

Jc
Jc

I have used Aveda products and was at one point addicted to the rosemary mint conditioner.

I think they are ok for hair. They are nothing special. I no longer use them because I decided I prefer herbal essences and a l’occitane product too.

I’m still aiming to try that lustrasilk stuff.

Poppy

Hi, I have always passed Aveda and thought to myself ‘hmmm’ but was always put off by price and the ingredients which don’t seem that special. I’m aware that some hair board users like the Damage Ready line and the Dry remedy line which seem to be for dry damaged hair and therefore, in theory should work for natural kinky hair. I think it may be time to admit that you need a new stylist but you have had good suggestions here. It sounds like your old routine with your old products was working with the stylist and it seems a… Read more »

LBell
LBell

I too have thick, fine-stranded, mostly 4b hair with super shrinkage. Aveda Be Curly leave-in worked for me when my hair was shorter but like lina40 said, it’s kind of thin, so it doesn’t do much now. Aveda Brilliant Humectant Pomade was my favorite product to use for twists that I planned to keep in for a week or more. Actually I’m thinking of putting in small twists this weekend (I haven’t had 4–6 hours free to dedicate to hair in a LONG time) so I might pull it out. Back when I used to heat-straighten my hair (1–2x/year), I tried using… Read more »

Tiffany
Tiffany

Clara,
I’m originally from Cincinnati now living in Columbus. I have a name and number for a stylist who handled my natural hair when I lived there. email me @junegemini1572@yahoo.com if you’d like her info.

LuckyAnaiya

I have 4a/b hair and my hair really likes the Damage Remedy conditioner. I also really like the Be Curly leave in — when I run out of Knot Today (Kinky Curly) I use the Be Curly. It gives my hair a lot of slip so it’s easy to detangle and I don’t have to worry about a lot of build up.

Jesmimi
Jesmimi

I use the Damage Remedy conditioner and restructuring treatment, too. My hair loves them. I just realized they contained cones a few months ago, so I feel sorta bamboozled. Lol. I used to use the Sap Moss Shampoo, but they discontinued it. The Damage Remedy shampoo, in conjunction with the two conditioners, makes my hair feel too hard…like I’m exposing my hair to too much protein. The only other super moisturizing shampoo they have is the Dry Remedy, and while it feels like it’s moisturizing (the texture is similar to the Sap Moss Shampoo), the fourth ingredient is dimethicone. This… Read more »

Enny

I’m a type 4b and the only Aveda product that worked a bit for me was http://www.aveda.com/templates/products2/spp.tmpl?CATEGORY_ID=CATEGORY10538&PRODUCT_ID=PROD15806

Every other thing gave me the same ole crispy aftermath. LOL.

Enny

Oh and that response was for styling products only, not shampoo or anything.

PR Urbanista
PR Urbanista

I went to Aveda to highlight my hair and it was the best experience ever. I am a color freak and have tried just about every at home blonde color there is on the market. But it was drying out my natural curls. I went to them because they have a 98% natural hair color that is suppose to better to your hair and it was. I definitely felt the difference and did not have the damage the I noticed using other colors.

Ashley

I have 4b hair and I LOVE Aveda products. They give me lots of moisture which I crave. I use the Dry Remedy line and love it.

serena
serena

I’m a stylist at an Aveda salon and I highly recommend Dry Remedy Shampoo & Conditioner. I actually leave in the conditioner for extra moisture and longevity with my twist set. I think it’s great for all curly textures, it’s packed with moisture…what most curly textures need! The Brilliant line offers some moisture but mostly shine.

Good luck!

Byrd
Byrd

I don’t use shampoo. I wash my hair with herbal essence conditioner and then use Aveda moisture conditioner for a leave in. I use a Denman brush to brush it through all the way. I then use a diffuser to dry my hair and then use the Aveda Hume to pomade (it’s clear inside) on the finished product. . Aveda has to be the best products to me out there and I have been natural for 6 years!!! I’ve tried about everything. I’m actually considering trying their shampoo!!!!! My hair is down my back when straight and to my shoulders… Read more »

Rochelle Marecheau
Rochelle Marecheau

I use Aveda products on my natural hair. I would say I’m a 4b/c. I stick to the Brilliant, Dry Remedy, Damage Remedy, and Be Curly lines. If I’m going straight the Smooth Infusion line is great. The only shampoo I use is the one from Brilliant and that’s only once a month. Depending on your curl pattern different products from the Be Curly line will work (some elongate curls, others create them). Dry Remedy I swear by, especially the oil. Damage remedy intensive conditioner is a great deep conditioner with a light protein (I’m protein sensitive and this works… Read more »