Élida in Brazil // Natural Hair Style Icon

Avatar • Feb 23, 2010

brazil_Rio-de+-janeiro_travel_

Where are you from?
E:
I am Brazilian and study nursing. My ancestors were Africans and Indians. I was born in Brazil and never wanted to leave my country. Despite the internal difficulties of being an emerging country, Brazil is beautiful and we are proud to live here and be part of this wonderful people.

What is interesting about Brazil?
E:
I love the cultural diversity of my country, we have many influences here. But what really attracts me is the openness of the Brazilians, we love to welcome new people and make sure they feel all right here!

What is the natural hair scene like in Brazil?
E:
The majority of Brazilian women have curly hair. Natural hair here is increasingly rare, when there are new chemical treatments Brazilian women almost all prefer to use them. I believe that Brazilians are conditioned to find curly hair strange and do not accept it as it is. I have met with some who thought my hair was weird and suggested that I do some kind of smoothing. The curly hair is an aberration, and for them it should be “tamed”, unfortunately.

Tell us your hair story.
E:
Well, I’ve relaxed my hair from ages 9 to 18. Last year I looked at pictures of myself and felt that my hair did not fit at all with who I really am; my personality was not reflected in my hair. I love all my color and the history that it carries, I recognize that many blacks fought for that one day I could live as a free woman with my physical characteristics. I felt it was unfair to not honor their effort. So I decided to return to my normal state. I used braid extensions to grow my hair out, and now it’s totally natural. People’s opinion are divided, there are those who think my hair is too stylish and those who believe it’s ridiculous. I do not care, I’m happy as ever.

What would you like to see in your country in terms of natural haircare?
E:
I would love to find beauty salons that take care of natural hair and not try to change it. It would be good if there were more products specifically for natural hair.

Why do you like being natural?
E:
Being natural is synonymous with freedom for me.

Is there a blog/webpage/fotki where we can find you?
E:
You can find me on Twitter: www.twitter.com/elidaquino

*Some international BGLHers don’t speak English as a first language and thus give shorter interviews.

NappturallyHappy
NappturallyHappy

Wow! I’m actually really surpised to read her comments. I thought natural hair was more accepted in Brazil.

vonnie

stay pretty and proud!! I enjoyed this interview 🙂

Amma Mama
Amma Mama

You are so BEAUTIFUL and I admire your confidence! God Bless u 🙂

Naturally Dolce
Naturally Dolce

I love all my color and the history that it carries, I recognize that many blacks fought for that one day I could live as a free woman with my physical characteristics. I felt it was unfair to not honor their effort.” What a beautiful statement. So happy to read a Brazilian perspective on natural hair. It’s a country that I adore with people who I adore. I’d love to know where in Brazil she is from. Voce e linda, irma!

erika
erika

ola, também sou brasileira… em que estado vc esta? fico feliz de ver uma brasileira dando depoimento por aqui… eu sou do rj e entendo perfeitamento tudo que falou sobre a resistencia ao natural que existe em nosso país… por mais incrivel que pareça, apesar de termos população predominantemente negra, a aceitação do nosso cabelo é praticamente zero… todas aqui estão sempre atras de tecnicas novas para mudar a estrutura de seus cabelos e estão sempre querendo convencer a si proprias e a todos que estão a volta que o cabelo crespo é inaceitavel e temos o dever de mudá-lo… Read more »

Jc
Jc

Great interview — I loved this line ‘I decided to return to my normal state.’

I too love your skin and we share the same great ancestry (I’m proudly 100% African).

M.J.
M.J.

Elida,
Do most Brazilians of African heritage wear their hair bone straight? Or is it straightened to a looser curl? I only ask b/c you guys are portrayed in our media as wearing natural, albeit more loosely curled, hair.
Your hair looks beautiful!

jenteel

so excited to see a natural from brazil! it’s disappointing that there is such backlash against natural hair in brazil being that so many of its inhabitants are of african descent. the afro-brazilians i know wear their hair in its natural state, so hopefully the movement is spreading in brazil as well.

maria

Beautiful hair and great interview

Elida
Elida

Thank you all. Let’s make it possible for everybody to use the natural. We have beautiful hair, are beautiful and it is proud of. Forgive my bad English. Kisses!

mo