Guest blogger post #3: Celebrating naturals who rock… literally

Avatar • Feb 10, 2010

February is Black History Month. To celebrate, I’ve put together a tribute to Black women who rock — or have rocked — this world of ours. The Nguzo Saba admonish us to “define ourselves, name ourselves, create for ourselves and speak for ourselves” (kujichagulia) and to “do always as much as we can, in the way we can, in order to leave our community more beautiful and beneficial than we inherited it” (kuumba). This post celebrates the self-determination (kujichagulia) and creativity (kuumba), as well as the beauty, of the women featured. This is far from a comprehensive list of Black women who rock; these are just some of my personal faves. I had alot of fun putting this together.…I hope you enjoy it!

Betty Davis, singer and ex-wife of Miles Davis
betty3

betty2

betty1

Elida Zulu of UK indie band Dirty Fuzz
elida1

elida3

Shingai Shoniwa of indie rock band The Noisettes
shingai3

Web

Soul singer MeShell Ndegeocello
meshell1

Last, but definitely not least, I’d like to spotlight DJ Beverly Bond. Her vision for a brighter future for young women of color prompted her to found Black Girls Rock, Inc., a mentoring organization aimed at breaking down the walls that mainstream media has built to keep young women of color trapped in cycles of low self-esteem, hypersexuality and exploitation. Black Girls Rock, Inc. accomplishes this goal by presenting girls with creative outlets through which to channel their talents, accountability and inspiration through positive female role models, and motivation to do more, be more and have more by introducing them to college options. WANLS salutes DJ Beverly Bond!

DJ Bev Bond

DJ_Beverly_Bond_2

BGR

More Black Girls Rock, Inc. here.

Strong and beautiful.…rock on, my sisters!!!

***
Sierra blogs at http://www.withanamelikesierra.com/

CandyceNoelle
CandyceNoelle

This was amazing! I LOVEEEE Noisettes!! Great to see strong blk women rockin’ it out! Yeah in a year or so my hair’s gonna be like Shingai ^_^ lol

Kii
Kii

The third Betty Davis picture gives me life.…..LOVE IT!!!!

Lala

I loved this! Great post!

Afrika

SHINGAI SHONIWA is HOT. I met her and her band mates August last year after a Noisettes Show. They are literally the coolest and most down to earth people you would ever meet. SHINGAI is also hotter (and smaller) in person.

Peace!

Shell

Love this post. I feel like Sistahs who rock don’t get nearly as enough love as they should.

Nicole
Nicole

Love love love LOVE Shingai and of course The Noisettes!!! I can’t wait until they come state-side around the DC area!!!!!!

Steph

Nice, light, fun post! Love the pics, and the concept of Black Girls Rock!

Matlhodi

You know it’s funny you should mention February being such a significant month for black people. Is it a worldwide thing? Sorry for my ignorance, but also thank for enlightening me. I don’t know if it’s a coincidence or not, but we’re also highlighting & celebrating our South African freedom fighters on our blog this 2 coming weeks. For those of you who don’t know, this is a very special day for us as we celebrate the release of Nelson Mandela from prison (27years spent in jail) and the beginning of a new era of hope for black people. Sorry… Read more »

Liv
Liv

I love love love Meshell N, she’s so hot to me. I love her music & her style. Her voice just does something to me, especially her song ‘Beautiful’. Back to topic, I love how all the photos just flow, each having its own positive energy, feels good! Ooooww

bob west
bob west

God has greatly gifted you
I enjoyed visiting your blog
God Bless;

Simplicidee
Simplicidee

and Youuuu Rock!!! for giving me new artists to check out and music to download!! whoop whoop!!

Sierra

Thanks for all of the kind words about the post, guys…and thanks a million to Leila for re-posting!!! I appreciate BGLH so much!!!! If anyone is interested in more, please check out my site…I document the Afro-punk/Black Rock movement…interviews, music, show dates, tour diaries and more. Paz y amor.…

Patrice

Please check out the AMBI Skincare/BLACK GIRLS ROCK! Flawless Beauty contest. Head to FLAWLESSBEAUTYCONTEST.COM and nominate that special flawless beauty‑a woman who is beautiful inside AND out.

Thanks 🙂

~Patti P.

P.S. Love this site!! Come here daily.

lek na odchudzanie

Great blog, i must check this

Marilu Abdo

Like the fact I can c ur belly

Inspirational Quotes

Guest blogger post #3: Celebrating naturals who rock… literally | Black Girl with Long Hair I was recommended this blog by my cousin. I am not sure whether this post is written by him as no one else know such detailed about my difficulty. You are incredible! Thanks! your article about Guest blogger post #3: Celebrating naturals who rock… literally | Black Girl with Long Hair Best Regards Schaad Shane

Candy
Candy

Love Mz Zulu.…saw her at sxsw and i was sold! Thanks for the love you show these black women on this blog!