Chicago woman goes bald after applying relaxer

Avatar • Feb 23, 2010

Reader Kiki submitted this story to me. It was recently reported here in Chicago.

CandyceNoelle
CandyceNoelle

Why would she think she could use that cheap a** perm anyways? Walgreens?? WOW Only $5?! Shame on her. Shouldn’t be surprised at the result. If you’re gonna use that horrible stuff, at least try to get top quality…no remorse

AMarie

wow.… I don’t miss those days… I hope Ms Jackson’s scalp is okay.

lexibugg
lexibugg

dddduuuuuhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!! you put caustic chemical in your hair, chemicals similar to HAIR REMOVER and drain cleaner, someone is going to get the bullet when playing Russian roulette!!!!! but if she can show a history of routine use without “issue”, paired with the fact that these products are not studied, monitor or approved by the FDA(not that that means much anymore) ma help her case. the fact that her sister used the other application with no problem, does not. it point to that possibility of a “user error”.The fact that she is still using them at all is an error, i… Read more »

chandra
chandra

this is an awful story and i feel really bad for this lady..but women of color when are we going to learn?

Kweenie
Kweenie

I can imagine her shock. I had a patch of hair fall out one time after a hairdresser rinsed out a relaxer. However, I’m pretty sure the fact that going to get a relaxer just a few days after taking braids out is what did me in. Hair can only take so much manipulation and braids do a job on hair too.

lina40

*shaking head* i just feel really bad for this woman.. I hope her follicles recover.. it just breaks my heart to see this.. more incentive to go natural, I suppose..

vonnie

0_o seriously, that is BAAAAAD

Amma Mama
Amma Mama

damn..

Tonya

Time to go natural!

Ambrosia
Ambrosia

I feel awful for her. I’m so glad those days are behind me. I hope her scalp and hair fully recover.

erika
erika

só uma palavra: assustador!!

Christy Hyman
Christy Hyman

So very unfortunate. This sister’s experience with a relaxer was on the far extreme of a worse case scenario, but how many times do I see my sister’s in day to day life walking around with broken off hair? Hair that is gelled to oblivion into a rubber band with 2 or three little strands sticking out? It hurts my heart. Then they look at my fro and laugh. The world is krazy.….

Nicole
Nicole

I feel really really really bad for her, this was actually really difficult for me to watch. I got sympathy pains radiating from my head.

As I was watching her interview I thought she’d look really really cute with a TWA.

naturalnubian13
naturalnubian13

Sheenique.….really..lol. If you are going to get a relaxer, at least dont use some generic no-name. Nonetheless, I hope everything is okay with her (but I’m just saying)

nikki
nikki

I saw something like this on the People’s Court and the woman did not win her case because she couldn’t prove that it was the relaxer itself that damaged her hair or was it the way she applied it or how long she waited to take it out. I feel horrible for this woman but I never even heard of that brand, when I did use perm kits at home I would always try to buy brands that were popular though that’s still no guarantee… but there was many a time when i was at a salon or at home… Read more »

BelleMuse

I’m just wondering if she noticed the name of the brand. That would have been all the warning I needed. Hopefully her hair grows backs & she chooses to wear her hair naturally/chemically free.

Apartmentlife
Apartmentlife

Dude, relaxing is just not worth it. Good luck to her.

M.J.
M.J.

That’s terrible. A no-name brand is a no-no. But, that’s neither here nor there. I truly hope her scalp recovers. No woman deserves that.

Jc
Jc

I have to say that I don’t think it is about the brand. To be honest many cheap generic versions contain exactly the same ingredients as the expensive name brands. I really think that her hair was probably damaged before and she left the relaxer on for too long. I think there is really a tiny tiny tiny infinitesimal possiblity for a relaxer left on for 2 minutes to cause so much damage. I think that people who do relax hair SHOULD have some mandatory chemistry lessons to gain a healthy respect for the product and the chemicals it contains.… Read more »

Salimah
Salimah

I feel for that sista and I’m sure her hair and scalp didnt feel too relaxed after that horrible process. I hope that her hair and scalp recovers. I look at the video and it very well could have been me. My mother and I started perming my hair at the age of 10 at home in the bathroom. By age 12 I was doing it myself. Obviously the viewo is the worst case because my experiences were positive. Well, positive aside from the burning and scabs that I learned to simply deal with because it was “a part of… Read more »

skeeta25

LOL @ getting the black reporter to report the story.

Liquid Crack is a Helluva drug
Liquid Crack is a Helluva drug

That liquid crack is not a joke. I hope her hair grows back. And, I also hope she has learned a lesson. JUST SAY NO TO RELAXERS!

Tracey

Common Sense should tell a Person NOT to Put a $5 CHEMICAL in their hair! That’s why I’m Natural. I stopped using Chemicals 10 yrs ago & my Hair is Long(About 17 inches)Healthy, & Beautiful.

steff

that’s what happens when people do things the cheap way. and like the stylist said, it could be a number of reasons why the relaxer caused such an adverse reaction.

theloveangel

my mom used to put that Sheenique brand on my hair. i am so glad those days are over. i dont even think about relaxers nor do i pay relaxed hair any mind anymore. maybe she’ll do research on natural hair and not make that mistake again

Tabatha
Tabatha

Oh wow! I don’t care if she relaxes, but please don’t use a cheap one! Oh man. I hope it grows back in a decent amount of time. How sad.