Tia // Natural Hair Style Icon

Avatar • Jan 27, 2010

Curls-vi
DSCN0023-vi

DSCN0266-vi

Where are you from?
T:
I am from Fayetteville, NC but currently residing in Raleigh, NC. North Carolina born and bred. Other than hair I am passionate about my faith in God and almost anything health related — I have a degree in Community Health Education.

Tell us your hair story.
T:
My story is different from the majority but there are a few of us out there — I never had a relaxer. My mom would press my hair with a hot comb after every wash and with a lot of grease. A lot of my friends did not know that I was relaxer free and I didn’t tell them. Fast forward to 2004, I met the man that is now my husband. He saw my hair in its curly state and suggested that I wear it like that.

Pic058-vi
I wore my hair in its curly state for the first time New Years 2005, I have not turned back since. I love my big poofy hair!

Have you had any difficulties wearing your hair natural at work?
T:
Honestly, the ONLY negative comments I received about my hair was from my family. It hurt… especially since we all have the same thick stuff and my mom still doesn’t have a relaxer to this day. I receive tons of compliments from my friends, strangers, and people at my church. Those compliments helped me realize that it is okay to love myself the way God made me-He doesn’t make mistakes. I have never had any problems with my hair in the workplace or on interviews. It has actually been a conversation starter many times.

What mistakes have you made with your hair that you’ve learnt from?
T:
Don’t follow fads/trends!! When I first started on my healthy hair care journey I would try everything on every blog and forum that I read. My hair suffered because of it. Dryness, breakage, and bad ends. Now I know how to read ingredient listings to determine if a product or regimen is right for me.

What’s the best/most effective thing you do for your hair?
T:
Deep conditioning weekly. I used to do it once a month but I saw no results from that. Since I have started doing it weekly I have maintained growth and have hair that is more moisturized.

What do you use in your hair?
T:
My staples are Shea Butter, Olive Oil, Coconut Oil, and now Castor Oil. I like to mix them all together. I still love my Suave Tropical Coconut conditioner but I have not found my “wow” shampoo product. I have noticed that the more natural a product the better my hair responds.

If your hair had a nickname, what would it be? Why?
T:
Chameleon. My in-laws tease me about how my hair is different every time they see me and they can’t even tell anyone what I look like because they never know how I am going to show up. Plus I am able to get my hair to copy a few different textures.

Is there a blog/webpage where we can find you?
T:

Anything else you want to add?
T:
Your hair is like you-unique. Don’t get discouraged because you tried what someone did and it didn’t work for you. Use that as an opportunity to create something specifically for your hair.

pickedoutfro-vi
***
Tia has done a lovely bun tutorial for BGLH. Check it out HERE.
Coffey 0072

This is definitely one of my favorite Hair Icon interviews.
Awesome!

S23
S23

Yeah for Tiashuntee! Your hair looks great in all the styles. I especially love your hair in the photo of your kissing! Cute!

Cristine

this is definitely one of my favorite profiles!! You are so blessed to have a man that appreciates your hair. I haven’t told my family yet that I am transitioning to natural (I am in London for a semester abroad program so they know I am not getting relaxers, but not that I have made the decision) & I expect the most backlash from them.. But you are so beautiful! Your confidence shows! I love the last bit that you wanted to add — because as a new transitioner I’ve tried a few things and I have been getting discouraged.… Read more »

Stephanie

I have a question for Tia: how did you achieve the hair color in the 3rd picture from the top? It’s really pretty.

Tia
Tia

Thanks all!

: the original color was a box dye, vivacious red, then I spent a week in Jamaica-in the sun, and the color changed to what is in the pic.

dajewel
dajewel

yeah, tia!!!!!

GBlount
GBlount

Go TIA!!! That’s my wife right there… Love the article, love the lady more. I’m so proud of her. Doesn’t she look great yall?

Nikki

Love Tia’s hair! She really shows how versatile it is.

Kira
Kira

YEA!!!!!!! Good Interview..Love It. My Sister Has Beautiful Hair

Jai
Jai

Tia, you are gorgeous. Another inspiring interview, great job L.

Steph

Nice interview, and great colors and styles. Your hair is definitely a chameleon.

Always interesting to hear from those who has always been natural.

Renise B

Great hair, geat interview…totatlly need a man like her husband in my life. congrats on all that you have Tia!

Brit
Brit

NC represent! looking great Tia! ^_^

Freda
Freda

Tia your hair is gorgeous! Yeah for Raleigh, NC! The pic of you and your husband is sweet.

Gigi
Gigi

Tia, nice pictures and beautiful hair. I am currently transitioning and live in Raleigh. Do you have any suggestions on any Natural Hair Stylist in the Raleigh area? Thanks for the inspiration, I am hanging in there.

Porscha

She’s so lovely. I love that pic of her and her hubby, so sweet! The fro is the last pic is fantastic.

tiashauntee

@Gigi: I actually don’t got to any salons in the area or anyway. I’m no help in that area, sorry.

Thanks for the wonderful comments everyone. Thanks for the interview Leila!

Mechelle (The In-Law)
Mechelle (The In-Law)

Tia absolutely beautiful!!! (as always). When I grow up I want to be just like you! You have certainly inspired me to strive for a healthy head of hair! I will get back there… one jar of Coconut Oil at a time. Luv ya Sis!

ChrsLvsBks
ChrsLvsBks

I enjoyed reading your hair story. Your styles are creative and versatile. A textbook example of a chameleon. I look forward to seeing what else you come up with so I can borrow it ;-).

The In-laws
The In-laws

You are our beautiful chameleon and we love you just the way you are — at any given time. What an inspiring story!