Raquel // Natural Hair Style Icon

Avatar • Jan 18, 2010

Raquel is a BGLH alum who made her first appearance in this March 2009 post. She has made some HUGE progress since then. Check it out…

blowoutpic-vi
misce_157-vi

misce_158-vi

Where are you from?
R:
I’m from the Chicagoland area, in the suburb of Evanston. I’m currently a freshman in college, majoring in English and secondary education.

When did you go natural?
R:
Technically, I’ve been a “natural” for my whole life. My family (of crazy Jamaicans, lol) doesn’t believe in using anything chemical in your head. But I was always pressed — I never wore my hair in its natural state. However, when I started playing sports around my junior year of high school it became stupid to keep my hair straight. So I decided to wear it naturally, and I haven’t really looked back. This fits me better. I trimmed off all the old heat damaged ends gradually, and they’re all gone now.

It wasn’t difficult at all-my mom had been bugging me about it for a while anyways, and my grandmother had tried to take away my flat irons on more than one occasion, lol. My father was just happy that I was playing sports and he doesn’t care, lol. My friends loved it so much, it surprised me.

I like standing out from the crowd. I like how big it can get. The boys like it. 😉 It goes with my personality and the clothes that I wear — no outfit is complete without my fly hair.

hairpics062-vi
What style do you like to rock?
R:
I’m a style schizophrenic. Seriously. If I had the time, I’d change my style every single day. I feel like I’ve tried ALMOST everything there is: buns, braids, braidouts, twists, twistouts, bantu knots, knot-outs, etc. But my favorites are probably a big blowout fro, and a sleek bun.

What mistakes have you made with your hair that you’ve learnt from?
R:
I guess my biggest mistake in the past was overmanipulation-my strands are fine, and they can’t take it. I need to put it in a style, and leave it alone for at least a week.

What’s the best/most effective thing you do for your hair?
R:
Two best things: protective styling at random. Right now, I’m kind of into weaves-I’m even in a weave challenge on a hair board, but we’ll see how long that really lasts, lol. The three to four week rest that my hair gets while I’m in a weave=happy hair. I really prefer wearing my own hair, but even a small break every now and then is beneficial. Oh, and protein treats-colored natural hair needs protein!!

hairandotherstuff067-vi
What do you use in your hair?
R:
Right now, I’m in product junkie burnout phase. Meaning I’m really tired of wasting money on trying new things-it’s not good for a college student budget. So I’ve “narrowed” it down to: Aussie Moist shampoo, baking soda, Aussie Moist conditioner, castor oil, coconut oil, Herbal Essences Long Term Relationship Leave in, suave tropical coconut, coconut oil grease, eggs for protein, and Fantasia IC heat protectant. Sounds like a lot, but it’s really not. Those have been my staples for almost 3 years now.

If your hair had a nickname, what would it be? Why?
R:
A nickname?? I’m not sure but it’d be something combining Angela Davis and Audrey Hepburn, because I feel that’s what my hair is a hybrid of. Oh so classy, but gangsta when she needs to be and just plain fly.

Is there a blog/webpage where we can find you?
R:
My fotki page is always open and ready for visitors! Beware-there may be shots of my messy dorm room, lol. And I try my best to answer questions/comments in a timely manner. 🙂 http://members.fotki.com/jamgirl9105/about

misce_081-vi
Nangi

wow, stunning hair! I love the hair colour.

Shones

Simply gorgeous! It’s great to hear stories of family and friends actually welcoming the change. So often the situation is less positive. Thanks for sharing your hair story with us.

Trecia

The style is cute i like. Since I have cut alot of the color off and haven’t up keep it.. My hair has grown back healthier then it have been colored. Just looking at these pics have me wanting to color all over again. This time I’m just going to try a rinse.. I’m wondering what Raquel used as we know what works for some doesn’t work for everyone.

Lynn

I really love the peacock heather look. It’s beautiful.

My best, Lynn
*Fresh off my Big Chop. I am ready for this new natural world! :o)

Lynn

Sorry, meant to write “feather”!

lina40

yeah JAMGIRL — do your thang Beautiful!

Brit
Brit

i know her as jamgirl too! haha. looking lovely. ^_^

Nika

She’s such a cutie, love her hair.

Khyla

I’m gonna have to cop that second look. Love it! Her

Khyla

I’m gonna have to cop that second look. Love it! Her hair has really grown in 10 months. It’s so beautiful!!!

Fatty B.

I LOVE HER HAIR!! Looks like we may have a similar texture… off to peruse her fotki 🙂

The Notorious Z.A.G.
The Notorious Z.A.G.

How cute! I’m gonna try (how DARE you not give a tutorial?! LOL!! Now I have to figure that out on my own.. v_v) that feather look, its really sweet! She has really made a lot of progress, good on her! Color is nice too. Good luck w/ college hon!

NappySexyFly
NappySexyFly

So adorable!!! I love the color. I really want to color my hair but I’m afraid it may become fragile. One day I’m going to break down and do it. She looks so cute with all her different hair styles.

Raquel (Jamgirl, 9105)
Raquel (Jamgirl, 9105)

lol @Lina-putting me on blast with my fotki name! thanks darling! Thanks for all the wonderful compliments, ladies! You’re so sweet and you’re making me grin like a fool in the library, lol. @ Trecia, the best brand of color I’ve used is Silk Elements‑I believe it’s the gentlest I’ve tried.…and I’ve tried a myriad. JUST SAY NO to Garnier colors‑I find them to be drying. @ Notorius Z.A.G.: ummm…don’t be tryna call me out, lol.…i just don’t know how to describe what i did. let’s see: separate hair into two ear-to-ear halves, and a front section. pin the front… Read more »

Alexis
Alexis

This is why I love natural hair, it is SO Versatile! All the haritstyles in the photos are equally beautiful!

HaitianRoots
HaitianRoots

love the style and color…and she being another island girl from E‑Town. i just love seeing our young sisters rocking their natural hair! out of curiosity, wonder if you know my younger sister (Vanessa)…she’s just a year behind you (if you went to ETHS) and has never had a relaxer just like you? keep it up and look fwd to checking out your fotki.

Princesspoetess
Princesspoetess

love your hair. i just created a profile, but i have NO IDEA how to set it up. can anyone help me?