Ni-Kiya // Natural Hair Style Icon

Avatar • Jan 14, 2010

BGLH: where are you from?
N:
Barbados .. holla ! Barbados is known for its lovely beaches and party scenes. Where else can you pay U.S. $25 and have drinks all night ? hehe. That beach is like 2 minutes away from my house. I don’t appreciate it nearly enough though

BGLH: what is the natural hair scene like in your country?
N:
While there are alot of natural heads …there are also alot of braids, weaves blahblah. For every three women you meet one will have natural twists, the other would have fake hair and the other would have stringy relaxed hair. The natural hair in Barbados is nothing to shout at either… very boring twists or cornrows with absolutely no creativity. Rarely do I see a natural rocking a big ol puff or anything like that

BGLH: when did you go natural and why?
N:
I went natural December 14 2009. I grew my relaxed hair to the middle of my back. Long … straight .. silky hair … that did not make me happy.

I was bored, I wanted something different. I wanted in a way to have some sort of release. I like to wake up on a morning and soak my head under water… while I was able to do with relaxed hair… but it just didn’t feel right. I wanted to shake my hair and run. You know like how you would have the urge to just run around naked and be free .. (or is that just me?)

I have been through so many hairstyles and so many physical changes, but I feel the best with my natural hair. I love it . It expresses me and my race.

BGLH: what mistakes have you made in your natural journey that you’ve learned from?
N:
Well I have only been natural for like a couple weeks (03) , but I have realised to stop working on curl definition and work on maintaining the health of my hair

BGLH: what products/ingredients do you use?
N:
I use VO5 and White Rain Conditioners to cowash , I love shea butter on freshly washed hair as well as Long Aid Curl Activator Gel and Ecostyler GE. The green one is wonderful for Day 1 hair because it maintains hold but the Blue one is sweet for soft touchable hair. I also use Herbal Essences Mousse and a really cheap gel (which I will buy more of) called Lustre or something like that … It works like the Blue Eco but $5 cheaper . I moisturise everyday with a spritz of glycerin and water mix –> I have been using this mix for the last 3 years and I will never forget it

What would you like to see in your country in terms of natural haircare?
N:
I would like the women here to be more educated in terms of caring for their hair. It’s basically the same as everywhere else. Ladies with “eat out” (translated: broken off) hair , not trying to figure out how to fix the problem or why their hair is the way it is but covering up the ‘mess’ with fake hair. One time I saw a girl with a hairline almost behind her ears , she had a fake hairline .. painted with Lord knows what…baby hairs and all. I wanted to speak to her about it, but she seemed like the type to cuss me right out, so I tried not to look at her too much. They don’t try to fix the problem , they just hide it and still don’t take care of the hair underneath. I wish the hairdressers would stop encouraging these young ladies to slap on weave and not take care of their real hair. I mean there are more BSS specialising in fake hair than schools. Okay that is a lie .. but you do get my point. So when a lady with long hair is seen, she isn’t thought to be mixed or anything, she is thought to have fake hair , no question about it, because it is very unusual to have long hair in Barbados if you aren’t mixed with a certain complexion. Point is… I would like Bajan ladies to stop having the mentality that because they can’t grow their hair then forget about it and fake it all the way.

I would like to educate naturals on actually taking care of their hair. I know many naturals who have been that way for their entire lives but still only have one year’s with of growth on their heads. Most wear twists … and wash their hair once every 2 months , no deep conditioning , no moisturising . Needless to say they are giving naturals a bad name. Also … I pray that they get some creativity with the hairstyles… they would discourage other people from going natural. Thank God for this site !

BGLH: Is there a blog/webpage/fotki where we can check your progress?
N:
I recently started a youtube channel http://www.youtube.com/user/bambiix2

thelady
thelady

gorgeous hair, gorgeous woman, looks like a model

french girl with nappy hair
french girl with nappy hair

I’m not used to do a lot of compliments but I think U are stunning! Your short hair shows how pretty your features are! love the whole look plus u have a beautiful skin! I think i need sun too!lol ++

southern curl
southern curl

Good interview w/ a beautiful woman, inside and out.

BajAmerNatural

Nice to see a fellow Bajan represented on this site. You’re right about the state of natural hair in Barbados. I am a lifelong natural but I did have a few people questioning my decision to stay natural while I was growing up in Barbados. Plus so many Bajan women love weave that that was a song about it. However, I will say that while Bajan naturals rocked cornrows and twists, I do remember some creative styles happening with those. I don’t know if that’s changed much since I haven’t lived there in some time.

luvmylocs
luvmylocs

your hair is so cute on you! your skin is flawless and your makeup is so pretty!!

melonie
melonie

Beautiful!!

Afrika

This girl is mad hilarious LMAO!!!!!!! My favorite lines: “One time I saw a girl with a hairline almost behind her ears , she had a fake hairline .. painted with Lord knows what…baby hairs and all. I wanted to speak to her about it, but she seemed like the type to cuss me right out, so I tried not to look at her too much.” “I would like to educate naturals on actually taking care of their hair. I know many naturals who have been that way for their entire lives but still only have one year’s with of growth… Read more »

Tanisha
Tanisha

She is absolutely gorgeous. Her TWA is on point!

Abena

she’s stunning. and of course her natural hair pulls out her beauty even more.

Nika

She absolutely beautiful!

kael
kael

Bajans always represent. The painted on hairline thing is not a joke they are decent amount of women who do that in Barbados. Many women who are natural have locs, not many with free natural hair but it’s nice to see a fellow countrywoman shining in her natural beauty.

Nickie Dee
Nickie Dee

Gyal, I need your skincare regimen asap! I long for skin like yours!

Khambria
Khambria

GORGEOUS!! hair is fabulous and of course I love her tats and piercings (esp because I have ones in the same spots lol)

and Nickie Dee I’m with you, I need her skin regimen stat! lol

Nicole
Nicole

It is good to see a fellow bajan represented. I went natural at 14 after a bad relaxer experience. When I left Barbados 13 years ago as a teenager and I remember twists being in then. Now when I go to visit I see many locked styles, a few puffs, and some twists. I especially love the glass beads for locs or twists. Your photos are awesome and I hope you continue enjoying your natural journey.

bambiix2
bambiix2

thank you everyone for the nice responses !!! BajAmer — I remember those days with the hot cornrows and the nice twist updos .. but sadly … I believe they have been destroyed by the weave … and weave here is not like weave in the states .. where it looks good . Here ladies run around with peacock looking hairdos and about 10 million colours on their heads. But i’m not speaking for everyone kael — you know i did not remember locs at all. I think some of the ladies who wear locs in Barbados look soo nice. The… Read more »

MissBNatural
MissBNatural

Shout out to my fellow Bajans!! Both of my parents (and two of my brothers) were born and raised there (St. Michael and Christchurch). Glad to see a beautiful natural Bajan rep on BGLH 🙂

dajewel
dajewel

this girl is mad funny!!!!! digging her opinions!!! big up from Belize!!

Bajan Princess 82
Bajan Princess 82

Barbados represent! The last time I went home I did notice a lot of BAD weaves, but also a lot of nice cornrow styles too. I had my own family asking me if my hair was fake (I rocked a huge puff most of the time while I was there)!

Aisha
Aisha

My beautiful Caribbean sister, represent!

Tamika
Tamika

lmbao at . Ladies with “eat out” (translated: broken off) hair , not trying to figure out how to fix the problem or why their hair is the way it is but covering up the ‘mess’ with fake hair. One time I saw a girl with a hairline almost behind her ears , she had a fake hairline .. painted with Lord knows what…baby hairs and all. I mean I live in barbados also and I cannot help but make comments about that, I see it every day and it kills me. I do not think that ppl can understand… Read more »

Kaikou
Kaikou

Wow so beautiful.Beautiful skin and hair everything. You seem like a fun girl who knows what she wants and goes for it. I love it! Much respect for you!

DaliSalvadorAde

Very pretty! Honestly, when I hear anyone say that they don’t think natural hair looks good, I just want to show them this site. Such gorgeous naturals! And what an awesome representation of all types of black beauty! I can’t help but smile.

New vehicles for sale

A person essentially assist to make severely articles I would state. That is the first time I frequented your website page and thus far? I amazed with the analysis you made to make this particular post incredible. Wonderful task!

bre
bre

this is no joke. im from trinidad and tobago and i realise that very few people in the Caribbean know about this natural hair movement, everyone seems to think that the only way they can achieve length is by having a ras/dreadlocks and if yo dont have “quality hair” which is soft kinky hair they prefer to cover it with a weave, wig, braids. i have been trying to encourage friends and family to practice healthy hair care but most of them are very impatient to put in the time to manage their hair.

Chrissie
Chrissie

Barbados represent!! You are gorgeous and I love your hair!! I really agree with you about the lack of creativity, I’m sixteen, when i was in primary school i remember everyone(most) having natural hair and various cute styles, however moving on to secondary school everyone just put texturizers and relaxers in their hair and styling just become so dull. Sorry to say i followed this trend, however I’m in the midst of transitioning (5 months so far) and I’m loving it! I love BGLH and all the great role models on it. Thank-you!!