Monique // Natural Hair Style Icon

Avatar • Jan 6, 2010

fro_pic
Where are you from?
M:
I live in Atlanta GA, I’m a bartender.

When did you go natural?
M:
I went natural in 2004. I did protective styles for about 3 1/2 years and I still wear protective styles sometimes. I wasn’t really around my family when I decided to go natural. They don’t have a problem with it and they like my hair now. Now, at work it was a different story. I been called nappy head and told I need a perm. It hurt my feelings at first because I was transitioning and I didn’t know how to handle negative remarks in the beginning.

I started to learn the history and the science of my hair so when people say something negative I could handle myself alot better. Now when they something negative, I tell them I’m only expressing myself culturally and I do not follow the European or western standards of beauty. I like the freedom of being natural. My hair grows much more without the aid of chemicals.

What do you use in your hair?
M:
I use mostly natural products — Burt Bee’s shampoo and conditioner, cantu shea butter, and 100% pure extra virgin coconut oil. I don’t use alot of products.

What mistakes have you made with your hair that you’ve learnt from?
M:
When I was transitioning I did a big chop on my hair leaving barely 2 inches. I went to a stylist to get comb twist and she used brown stying gel to hold the curls or twist. The gel severely damaged my hair, leaving it very dry and brittle. I had to cut my hair again and at the time I didn’t know anything about maintaining natural hair. My lesson is don’t let everyone in our head and learn how to maintain your natural hair. I am very thankful for YouTube.

What is the best/most effective thing you do for your hair?
M:
The best thing I do for my hair is saturate it in coconut oil overnight once a week. I wash out the coconut oil in the morning. The coconut oil leaves my hair very soft and it stimulates hair growth.

If your hair had a nickname what would it be?
M:
I would call it Biggie, because it’s huge especially if I blow dry it out.

Tia
Tia

Gorgeous hair and beautiful girl…I have some serious hair envy going on right now!

Nige.Irun

That’s some fabulous hair you’ve got there.

Jane Ug-Lbc

Beautiful Hair!

NappySexyFly
NappySexyFly

I love her low puff! Her hair reminds me a lot of mine.

W.Reid

Beautiful Woman, BEAUTIFUL HAIR! Love it!

lina40

i loove her hair and the hair nickname 🙂

Mtlveevee
Mtlveevee

My God…she’s just gorgeous!

CO
CO

Lovely hair! Loves it. I too have hair envy which is quite bad because I do not know if my hair can ever be as full and as long as Monique/several of the other natural women listed on this blog despite my efforts of keeping my hair healthy. Yes, I know that healthy hair doesn’t equate to long hair, but for someone that has been natural for years (9 years this month) and keep my hair pretty maintained, I often wonder why I don’t seem to be able to grow my hair anywhere close to the above picture. While I… Read more »

pj
pj
Reply to  CO

Monique

Love her hair (& her name, lol)…L — could you ask her if her hair is blown out or stretched in the pics???

South Loop Social Light

I absolutely LOVE her mane of hair! It’s awesome… big hair is beautiful to me.

kael
kael

that’s the most gorgeous hair ever

carlita
carlita

so beautiful

lexibugg
lexibugg

my breath caught in my throat when i saw this young lady, her face is so beautiful, her hair, also beautiful, was an after thought!!

Dnelly

Wow!! Beautiful!! Monique you have a wonderful head of hair and a beautiful face! Go girl! I’ve noticed that as my hair gets long my routine gets short, especially when it comes to products and adding this and trying that. I stick with the ones that work and keep it moving!

Thanks for the post BGLH

kindredb
kindredb

This is why I love this blog so much. Every day, pictures of beautiful women with beautiful hair keep me motivated and remind me of why I want natural hair. @CO, Leila has featured plenty of women with tighter coils who have long hair… go through the archives, and you will see. In particular, there is Sera– I think the tag is long 4b hair and it was posted around August or September of 2008. Look up Sera’s youtube channel (Sera2544), and you will see: her hair is a 4a/4b mix (predominantly 4b, in her own words) and it is… Read more »

Exhale1913
Exhale1913

@CO, piggybacking on kendredb’s comment — also, on youtube, check out RusticBeauty, mwedzi, marand313, and herFLYness79, just to name a few…all of these women have GORGEOUS 4A/4B hair type…

tracyata
tracyata

@CO I have to disagree. One of the main reasons I follow this blog so closely is because it is not saturated with 3A like some other blogs I know. Instead there’s a great mix and if anything there’s overrepresentation of 4a women. Maybe the predominate and that is why. I don’t know but it’s an idea to consider. A blogger named JC who often comments here has a blog called “thenaturalhaven” at blogspot dot com. She lists a few women with 4A and 4B hair that have grown it to great lengths. In addition to the YouTuber, Sera, that… Read more »

CO
CO

Thank you Kinreb and thanks Leila for the work you do.

Monica
Monica

She has great hair.

Nikki
Nikki

She’s so pretty! I love her hair. I was thinking about doing a big chop again because I’m in that in between stage of growing my hair out, it’s not short but it’s not long either. She just inspired me to keep growing it, I want my hair to be big and bodacious by the summer now lol.

TheAmazon
TheAmazon

CO in regards to the no girls with 4 type hair with long hair..check out BelleMuse, on this website she has GORGEOUS long hair..that i’m so jealous of, lol.

I’m in teh same bout, been natural for years ( didn’t take care of it the whole time ) and often get frustrated with growth…

we’ll get there, and if not, just hopefully to a comfortable position.

Ekaette
Ekaette

My hair wants to be like this when it grows up. Ponytail and all

Nika

just beautiful! and she’s stunning!

mysskay
mysskay

I just wanted to add some more YouTubers with 4a/4b hair:

BeautifulBrwnBabyDol
curlychronicles
AyannaNaeela
BlackOnyx77
glamazini
HoneyChild36
hopeday1
jaybby04
misskrisnew

MONIQUE SANTOS
MONIQUE SANTOS

THIS IS MONIQUE, YES I BLOW DRY MY HAIR TO MAKE IT BIGGER. I HAVE 4A/4B HAIR. THANK YOU ALL FOR THE WONDERFUL COMPLIMENTS. STAY NATURAL!

Dingane00
Dingane00

Monique,

My name is Dingane Baruti. May take you to dinner? I live in Columbus, GA and frequently spend my weekends in ATL with my brother. I offer you good conversation and a single rose for your hair.

CallMeQueen
CallMeQueen

I actually think that this blog does a great job of showing texture diversity. But that’s the beauuty of natural hair, one day I had where my mini fro in it’s tight coils the next I can do a twist out or bantu knots out that give the look of looser curls. Her hair is ver similiar to mine if I blow dry is even though my coils are tight, but I get impression from all of my fellow naturals.

BEAUTIFUL!

CO
CO

Thanks everyone! this is why I love this site b/c people are soo helpful and willing to share their best practices and resources.

Busayo

Monique, I loooooove your hair! It’s so gorgeous and full. That is officially my goal length for my hair right now. How long is your hair in the back i.e. bra strap length?

chandra
chandra

@dingane00..LOL. I love this site too so much good info for naturals with all hair types!

Claire
Claire

Do you have a Fotki page? or are you on Youtube?

Krystal

I am in love with Monique’s hair. I could tell she had 4a/4b texture, because that’s the way mine looks when I blow it out (texture, not length yet). Question for Monique: do you have a difficult time getting the ends to blow out as well? The two times I’ve blown out my hair, it always has tiny little curls at the end that I just can’t get out.

Krystal

Also wanted to add that the low puff is so classy!

jewellthief
jewellthief

i absolutely LOVE seein my happy 2 B nappy sistas wearin their hair out!!! I love how great they look,and I love seein the looks from whyt folx as they strut by!!! LOLOL

sehsi
sehsi

OMG! I know jealousy is the devil’s work but ooowee! That hair. if mine does not grow out to be that big I will go back to my relaxer days (I kid). Gorgeous hair. Gorgeous face.

HaitianRoots
HaitianRoots

Adore your big hair Monique!!! simply beautiful. do you have a fotki, or blog, would love to see your other styles. i can’t believe the nerve of some people who want to tame all that fabulosity! 🙂

HaitianRoots
HaitianRoots

tame” 😉

Hmmm
Hmmm

OhhMG! Your hair is everything I want mine to be! Big, thick, and HEALTHY!!! I can’t wait to get to this part of my hair journey! Such an inspiration! You (and your hair) are incredibly beautiful!

AMarie

I cut off my natural hair 9 months ago on a whim… went bald. Now it is shoulder-length (no heat) and I figure it’ll be the length of Monique’s in 2 years. 🙂 Slowly but surely. I love my natural hair 🙂

Your hair is lovely.

Gem
Gem

YAAASSSSSS gorgeous woman, gorgeous hair. I love it. Monique, let’s see a blog or a Fotki, get out there! 🙂

Claire
Claire

@AMarie… your hair grew from Bald to shoulder length in 9MONTHS!? wow… do you have a Fotki, blog or youtube? i would love to see your trasition..

NappySexyFly
NappySexyFly

I’m glad I read the comment’s because I see your hair generated confusion in some. 4b hair is so versatile, it can appear to be many different textures depending on how it it styled. This prompted me to add some photos of my daughter’s and my hair in it’s shrunken and dry state to the hair album I will be sharing with bglh, so that no confusion over texture happens. People need to understand that 4b is super versatile in it’s appearance, that way people can understand that about their own 4b hair. My and my children’s hair is 4b… Read more »

Monique

*Not the Featured Monique*

4b hair is EXTREMELY versatile, I have 4b hair. The best way for me to tell if someone’s hair is similar to mine is to see it when it’s wet. Sometimes I look at women’s hair that claim 4b, and I’m like…SOOO…does that make me a 4c/d/e??? lol

There are some women with 4b long undefined coiled hair. However, I do think it’s easier for 4b’s like myself to grow long APL hair via locs. It’s difficult to retain length with hair so tightly wound!

Anya

wow…she has gorgeous eyes. That last pic with her hair in a low puff is wicked!! very nice

trackback

[…] hair just elevates a black woman’s face. It’s really hard to describe, but check out this woman called Monique who is featured on Black Girl with Long Hair today. She has a gorgeous bunch of Afro hair on her head. If she was after your man, you better be […]

AMarie

I do not have a Fotki or a YouTube channel, abd my blog rarely touches on the topic of hair.

I did not think my hair’s growth to be spectacular, but I can hopefully answer any questions you have (aconerlycoleman@gmail.com) My routine was simple- co-wash, moisturize, avoid heat and combs, protective styling.

My hair is mostly 4B, some 3C in the back. Frankly, I prefer the 4B… it holds styles better (more versatile like Monique said 🙂 )

melonie
melonie

BEAUTIFUL (hair and face)

melonie
melonie

Oh, and @ CO,
That is most definitely NOT 3a hair (3a is probably like Chilli’s from TLC). It’s in the 4- family…no doubt. A ton of 4’s are represented on this site. That is what’s so great about this site

Tracy Russell
Tracy Russell

Monique,

Thanks for sharing your pictures and story. You and your hair are GORGEOUS!!! I long for the day when my hair gets to be like yours. God bless…

dasia

Her hair is BEAUTIFUL!!

Tamia

Gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous! Hair and face. That low puff is making me extremely envious, too…

Monique
Monique

I absolutely love that we have the same name so it’s only befitting that her hair is awesome. I love the fullness of your hair and you can tell that you do take really good care of it.

Snoe_flake
Snoe_flake

I would just like to thank you for posting this profile on Monique. Its becasue of her that I did my Big Chop. I figured, if she went from having “barely 2 inches” of natural to this huge, beautiful, healthy head of hair, then so can I. so thank you. 🙂

P.S. I BC’d the same day Jan. 06th and I’ve been more than content with my hair

Vanisha

gorgeous.. i just moved back to atl.. i need to find her lol

Chanel Smith

Your hair is very beautiful. I BC’ed on the first day of this year. I have been tracking my hair growth, lessons, learned, etc on the blog I just created. Im gonna try the coconut oil thing because even though I have silk pillow cases, I still loose moisture somehow.

Thanks for your post! Please visit my blog

beautywithcurls
beautywithcurls

Absolutely Beautiful!!!

bzcitybeauty
bzcitybeauty

Monique is a great inspiration to us all! I’m still learning I’ve just been a year into it since I transitioned and I feel “Joyful” everyday..It would be great though if you could give us a tutorial on your nightly ritual!!!!

Chanel Smith

Wow! It seems like everyone just wanted a fresh start for 2010! I also big chopped in the very beginning of the year. I love your hair, its so beautiful. You’re inspirational.

Go see my blog I have pictures there!

Ebbie
Ebbie

Your hair is so beautiful. I used to be natural back in college, and my hair was as big as yours. People always thought I was wearing a wig. I miss the uniqueness of my hair from back then. It grew so much faster & healthier. I’m gonna go back natural real soon. Cause we shouldn’t be ashamed of who we are as black women, or of our hair. Much love.
Ebbie

Constance

Hey, Right now I want to go natural. I live in Colorado so I dont have anyone to style or help with the process. I want to know did u do the big chop and then started using these products u mentioned? I currently dont have any new growth all my hair is permed. Do I need to wait until I have new growth? Also how long did it take for your hair to grow out that long?

Ty
Ty

I love your hair. It is very beautiful, BIG, and vibrant. I’m natural and I love it. It’s only been 15 months now since I’ve been natural. I’m having difficulty using the right products for my hair. The only products I’m confortable using in my hair is: water, shea butter, and grape seed oil. shampoo & conditioner? I’m having a battle (lol). Can you give me some advice how to care my hair so it can grow BIG and beautiful like yours?

Lacey

My next year will be brighter after reading this post!

Sophia

All of people New Year might be greater being aware of that!

pj
pj

@ CO..There are plenty of 4a/b women out there, but you have to do your research. I have 3b hair but I open my horizon to other hair types. But to list a few on youtube…rusticbeauty,sera2544,longhairdontcare2010 and many more… I hope this helps, and remember that your hair has to do with not only you but your diet and genetics too!!

Dee
Dee

wow beautiful hair I love the length. Please provide us with where we can see more of your hair.

Elle
Elle

Anybody who says something to her is a hater, because she’s so radiant it’s incredible. I don’t believe for a second she’d look half as good with straight hair. What a beauty!

cassidybarrett
cassidybarrett

Gosh! Beautiful, beauuutiful! It’s obvious people are just hating on her.

M'Karyl Gaynor
M'Karyl Gaynor

Monique: I have lived in the ATL for most of the last 28 years. I went dread in 1988…in fact, I was the first sistah to wait tables in the better restaurants with locks (Buckhead, Midtown, VA-HI)…yep, I sure was…made plenty of good money to…after all, it is how you present, convey and exude yourself that makes the difference…and interestingly enough it was the black ppl of the ATL that I encountered the most comments from…mind you, this was almost 25 years ago…so dreads were not as common as they are today. We may always hear the internalized self-hatred from our… Read more »

Rachel Natalie Rawlins

Monique, I love love love your hair! I would love for mine to look like yours; I just don’t have that length at this point… But it is gorgeous sis!

Jewelry Atlanta Ga

Most of the people who invest in diamonds almost never offer them. These days probably 80% from the diamond offered while in the United states of america and throughout the entire world do not reseller diamonds. So handful of folks really sell their diamonds..

Cathey Poindexter Taylor
Cathey Poindexter Taylor

She has BEAUTIFUL hair!

PrettyGirl
PrettyGirl

You’re hair is beautiful…don’t let anyone tell you different

Olivia