Does natural hair ‘draw up’ the features?

Avatar • Jan 14, 2010

One of my favorite stages of the natural journey is the ‘big chop’. I can count on one hand the number of bad big chops I’ve seen. The vast majority are gorgeous.

A short cut draws attention to the eyes, the skin and the bone structure of the face. And that continues even as natural hair grows in.

The kinkier our hair is, the more it defies gravity. It pulls away from the face, drawing up facial features instead of dragging them down.

The best BGLH example I’ve seen of this is November Now and Then winner Jana.

Her flat, relaxed hair was REALLY hiding the fact that the girl is a STUNNER! Meanwhile her fro accentuates her cheek bones amazingly, and shows off how cute her nose is.

jpg16-290x3001

jpg17-199x3002

The longer I’m natural and the more I blog about it is the more I see how natural hair uniquely complements us as black women.

But what are your thoughts?
Do you think natural hair draws up facial features? Have you noticed other ways that natural hair complements our features?
Or have you not really seen this at all?

southern curl
southern curl

You’re so right!! We look great w/ volume on the top b/c it does bring out our bone structure and our eyes. I’ve never liked my hair flat, but then again I’m Southern, lol 🙂

Nikki
Nikki

I really agree with you, even before I went natural, I would look on fotki all the time and notice how much better these black women looked with their natural textures than with their relaxed hair. That’s what inspired me to go natural in the first place. There’s nothing wrong with enhancing your looks, but being natural and seeing other natural women has really made me see that God knew what he (or she) was doing. I think our gravity defying hair definitely compliments our noses, lips, cheek bones and even skin color. I don’t know how, but I think it… Read more »

CandyReign

Okay So I Flat Ironed My Hair & Curled It W/ Sponge Rollers It Was Really Cute For A While Until I Combed My Hair Out & It Was Just Straight. I Put It In A Ponytail For A Day B4 I Shampooed. I Felt So Typical It Was Kinda Surprising How Much I Did Not Like The Way I Looked. Reading This Article & Thinking Back I Realize That’s Probably Why I Didn’t Like It. My Fro Fits My Face So Much Better.

melonie
melonie

Agreed! Big, thick hair definitely compliments our features. I’ve always noticed that

CAllMeQueen
CAllMeQueen

Call me biased but I would have to agree.
Short and natural pixie hair (by that I mean classic Halle Berry not recent Rihanna) to that to the facial structures and features in my opinion.

aulelia

I really agree with this. Natural hair just does something to African features.

A good example of this is Wakeema Hollis.

Kay
Kay

Totally agree. Black women whether we like it not have more ”fuller features.” I always thought natural hair balances this out. Poker straight hair can make some features look bigger than they actually are and throws our faces out of sync.…IMO.

thelady
thelady

I’ve always thought short hair put extra emphasis on the face but you have a good point I never considered, that kinky curly hair with volume/height plays up facial features. I’ve looked at pictures of me with my long relaxed hair and thought I looked rather plain in comparison to how I look now.

rhythm

the difference in her two pictures is stunning. makes me think of how much prettier solange was when she went natural.

b.
b.

Yup. ITA. The example you give is awesome…she is really pretty. I had my hair in a bun yesterday (for the first time EVER in my life…whoot!) and the hubby liked it…kind of. He’s always more excited when my hair is out. I think this your point has a great deal to do with it.

CallMeQueen
CallMeQueen

Wakeema Hollis is STUNNING!
I remember seeing her in teen magazines, she had log relaxed hair.
Then I se her with thuis short fro, then her bone structure and full lips stood out so much more to me.

I really hope Solange keeps her cut, or maybe she’ll grow it out a bit too who knows

Didi

I couldn’t agree more! I thought the same exact thing about Jana too. The girl is beautiful!! Clearly God doesn’t make mistakes. He certainly didn’t make any mistakes when he gave black women this hair to accentuate our features. The two just go together so well.

PetiteGoddess
PetiteGoddess

It is so true. I never felt more confident in my appearance than I do with my hair the way that it is now. Since I have starting finding all of these great natural hair blogs that feature other women who wear their beautiful hair so well I think I can say with very little argument that the texture and variety that our hair allows us to have in styling is absolutely amazing.

bambixx2
bambixx2

But what are your thoughts?
Or have you not really seen this at all?

I too have realised this. Natural hair especially twas really bring out the features in black women. Too many times on this site have I seen Now and Thens and thought .. wow that woman looked bland before and then the afters are like WOW. I think natural hair to black women is the compliment alone. It is our beauty

NappySexyFly
NappySexyFly

Our hair was made to compliment our features. I think we look rather incongruous with straight hair. Especially those of us with traditionally african feature ie full lips, broad nose, high cheek bones. Our features are to bold for submissive hair.

Leila, I hope you and your family are well. We’re praying.

anon
anon
Reply to  NappySexyFly

I *love* the way you said that. “Our features are too bold for submissive hair.” PREACH!

I remember with my relaxed hair I always preferred it pulled back into a bun. From the front, it had a similar effect as a BC.

Jasmin

I totally agree! Just big chopped last Friday and definitely see the difference. In fact, I don’t feel the need to put on as much make-up as I did in the past; my features stand out on their own!

josie
josie

having been addicted to the bglh website for sometime now;) i have noticed that all of the women featured tend to look YOUNGER(!) with their natural hair than with their previously relaxed hair.…is it just me????

josie

Alana
Alana

Yes. Natural hair accentuates facial features…especially tightly coiled fro’s. It makes the eyes look up. Whereas hairstyles that lay down draws the face down.

tiara
tiara

I totally agree…i love seeing women with they’re natural hair. Ur features just stand out and ur not hiding behind hair.

Kigali
Kigali

I think dark skinned women look the most unnatural and fake when they wear perms and especially bone straight shiny weaves. I guess that is why I think Jessica White just looks horrible sometimes and Iman has always been a bore with those wigs that she has been wearing since she left Puntland.

A more natural Iman:

I think that Black Issue of Vogue did a real disservice too. Were there any women in their with natural hair styles?

HaitianRoots
HaitianRoots

@CandyReign, I’m with you. For the first time in my 10yr natural journey I got my hair professionally straightened (desperate need of GOOD trim). the beautician was like “you look like a whole different person”, i said disappointingly “i know”. she did a fantastic job, but i felt so REGULAR. hubby came home and was like “wow”. i asked him if he liked it, his response, “it reminds me of what you looked like when i first met you.” then i asked if he wanted to touch it…he said no, but hesitantly did…then he said, “i don’t want to run… Read more »

bobbie gardner

It definitely draws out facial features, the TWA is extremely powerful at doing this in my opinion, eyes, lips nose, cheek bones…

I don’t want to hate on the perm/perm users, but glad I am no longer a slave to it, I look at my earlier pics and feel sad…

Thanks for the continual inspiration bglh!!

Tesia
Tesia

I really do think that natural hair draws up your features. I just did the big chop and a lot of people told me that the cut really brings out my features. I can also see the difference.

bee
bee

of course natural hair “draws up the features”
relaxed hair is altered/fake,
it makes us look different than we really are
while natural hair is natural
and has a reason as to why it curls or waves the way it does.

Lynn

I agree. I have been watching so many BC videos on youtube so much lately, that I can pinpoint which feature is going to “pop” by the end of the vid! :o) I think “I can see you under there…you’re going to look so beautiful in a few minutes. Wait for it…” I’m a few weeks away from my BC and every day I am trying to get away with snipping a little here or there. I’m soooo excited!

My best, Lynn

2bnatural
2bnatural

I and others have noticed a difference. I’m over 30 but always looked young for my age. when i went natural, I still looked young but in a more vibrant, healthy, glowy way. I just look and feel more beautiful. I have received more compliments in the last 1 1/2 yrs being natural than I’ve had in my whole life probably, especially from random strangers. I think people just recognize when someone is in their element and I believe natural hair achieves a part of that.
natural hair + natural features = naturally stunning ^_^

Meisha

OMG that is sooooo true…when i look back at old pics from when i had a perm it seemed like i was missin’ some kick and natural hair brings that out of you. p.s. the featured girl’s lightning bolt earrings are dope!!

trackback

[…] Does Natural Hair “Draw Up” The Features? So according to readers, I look better with natural hair than I do with permed hair. Well…natural hair accentuates features better than flat hair. What do you think? Read the article here. […]

Christina

Natural hair is gorgeous, and I only feel the need to straighten my hair when I’m tired of these tangles at the end of the week. But the real reason I do not want to straighten me hair is because I’ll have the style for a week max, and be SO ready to rock my curls again! I FEEL better with my natural texture all out and proud, so I smile more, then my features really shine:-)

JG
JG

Most definitely. I think back to my BC last May, and for the first time in my life, I saw that I was really and truly beautiful. It was as if I had took a peak of it here and there, but it didn’t manifest itself until my real hair surrounded my face. I’ve never felt so good in my entire life (and I have had a fun life) as I did when I went back to natural and rocked my Fro.

ebonyquean
ebonyquean

I know one thing, since I’ve been natural, when people (men especially) give me a compliment about my looks, I feel like its more genuine than before, because its 100% me 🙂

lilshaun
lilshaun

I have been natural for the past six years, but have always been reluctant to show my natural texture. Not anymore!! This website is so inspiring!! Keep up the good work!

Melody
Melody

Yes I do notice a difference with going natural. My skin glows and my attitute is confident. I never knew my hair was so beautiful. It is baby soft, and a curl to it. I am only 6 months into my transition and each week I look forward to pampering my hair.

df
df

lmao i wish it applied to all of us (doesn’t to me) but for the most part we do look SOOOO much better with natural hair

df
df
Reply to  df

Alright I lied, it applies to ALL of us (including me :3)

Annie L.
Annie L.

@Kigali I would say straight hair looking unconvincing is less of a skin color issue and more of a tone (dull, less uniform) and skin texture (scarring, pitting) issue. My family’s American and the dark women on my father’s side all have naturally straight Euro-like hair. Their skin tone is rich/even/glowing and the texture super smooth. When I see some Latinas or Africans with smooth, rich skin (light or dark) I could believe they’re naturally straight as well regardless of features. I do agree that many black women look unrealistic with Angelina Jolie weaves and that some with rougher facial… Read more »

Khadijah
Khadijah

Wow. Jana looks absoulutely gorgeous with her natural hair. Almost a completely different person. Sometimes I can’t imagine why I ever thought straight hair looked better. I’m still transitioning, but I can not wait for the real me to flourish.

Monica
Monica

Wow! All I can say is just wow! I almost can’t believe that is the same person. She seems to have so much more confidence & she looks great!

Sherron
Sherron

i colored my hair this past weekend & was literally terrified as i was rinsing the dye from my afro b cuz i was scared the hair color might alter my natural texture in some kind of way LOL

i was so relieved win my hair was still “nappy” just a different color win i got done, thats win i knew i REALLY do LOVE my natural hair, wud never want to go bak 2 relaxers & staightening it, i am in love w/ my thick curls! i love touching my hair, the softness, the thickness, the curls, nothing compares to it

Shelly
Shelly

I am just wondering .. has anyone ever seen a TWA on someone with acne scars? I am considering going natural, but am afraid of the short hair accentuating my poor skin :/. Any advice?

Raven
Raven
Reply to  Shelly

I had the same insecurities when doing the big chop too, Shelly! I recommend going to a dermatologist so they can observe your skin and give you exactly what you need. I struggled with acne/acne scars for years until my ma and I finally decided to go to a dermatologist and it worked out great for me =]

Raven
Raven

i agree with you on this, when I had first cut my hair it was probably like one inch long and that’s when I realized that people are going to be paying more attention to my face. At first I felt obligated to wear makeup more often, but then it actually got fun lol I got better at applying it (especially eye makeup, my favorite kind) and people even said that I looked more my age or older with the cut. I was 18 at the time but most of the time people would mistake me for younger lol

trackback

[…] noticed there was something about natural hair. This blog post explains the attraction very well Does natural hair ‘draw up’ the features?. Reader comments are so encouraging. Share this:TwitterFacebookLike this:LikeBe the first to like […]

TYE
TYE

agree

Petula

I never thought of it like that. I do notice what you mean in the pictures. I didn’t notice this with myself when I did the BC more than 15 years ago… I’m transitioning again and refuse to totally do the chop. LOL. The back of my hair is basically all natural, but the tops and sides aren’t. I like the length and think it looks better on me now that I’m older and a bit — ahem — thicker!

Bonita
Bonita

this is not true for everyone. short hair or updo’s are not flattering for everyones face. Everyone does not look good with their hair short, pulled back, or off their face, etc…Sonme people do look better with their hair down. Everyone’s natural hair does not hang,certain hairtypes grow up and out.

Yoshi
Yoshi

I def think having a short natural doo draws more attention to your features but not in a good way all the time. I’m Jamaican/Chinese and I have a really oval face with round Asian cheeks lol. When I rock wigs I look more exotic but when I got the BC my hair cut just showed up how round my face was :-/ Personally I think short hair looks good on women with defined features and sharp cheekbones, not so much on people with round faces.