Milwaukee teacher cuts off little girl’s natural hair as punishment, throws it away in front of her

Avatar • Dec 14, 2009

This is 7‑year-old Lamya Cammon. Her teacher took her in front of her Milwaukee public school class and cut off one of her braids as punishment because she kept playing with her hair. The teacher has received just a small fine and is still in the classroom.

21944795_640X480

Here’s an excerpt from the story:

She told me to stop playing with it. Then cut it off and sent me back to my desk,” Cammon said.

“I went to my desk and cried. And they was laughing,” Cammon said. “She threw it away, and she said, ‘Now what you gonna go home and say to your momma? ’ And I said, ‘That you cut off my hair,’ ” Cammon said.

The full article is HERE. You can watch news coverage of the story below:

KayTee
KayTee

I can’t even leave a comment, as this infuriates me so much.

Doris
Doris
Reply to  KayTee

Amen.

NappturallyHappy
NappturallyHappy

WTF??? is all that comes to mind.

trackback

Social comments and analytics for this post…

This post was mentioned on Twitter by coilyhair: BLACK GIRL WITH LONG HAIR :: Milwaukee teacher cuts off little … http://ow.ly/169kN6

Yoshi3329
Yoshi3329

But she’s just a little girl!

What the heck is wrong with some people?

CO
CO

That is horrible. This is quite sad that an adult would act in such a manner. I don’t think the girl spotting natural hair is the main issue, I feel as though it could have happened to any student who happened to be frustrating the teacher at that particular time. Unfortunately, it was this lil’ natural haired girl. I think the bigger picture is that a lot of teaches are very frustrated with the profession and this leads them to do the most bizarre things. Not to make an excuse for this teacher but many of our teachers these days… Read more »

CO
CO

That is horrible. This is quite sad that an adult would act in such a manner. I don’t think the girl spotting natural hair is the main issue, I feel as though it could have happened to any student who happened to be frustrating the teacher at that particular time. Unfortunately, it was this lil’ natural haired girl. I think the bigger picture is that a lot of teachers are very frustrated with the profession and this leads them to do the most bizarre things. Not to make an excuse for this teacher but many of our teachers these days… Read more »

sewdope
sewdope

i seriously gasped out loud after reading what that teacher did. i have had many instances where i misbehaved in school and the teacher either gave me a demerit or sent me to the principals office. under no circumstances should that woman have physically done anything to that girl. she’s acting like the little girl was swinging her head around like beyonce in a video or something. i understand that she may have been stressed and the sound of the beads was irritating but she should have spoken to that girls mother and asked her to do a hairstyle that… Read more »

b.
b.

And how many girls of ALL colors play with their hair in school??? Shoot, I sit at my desk as a GROWN WOMAN and play with my hair. If she was knocking the beads together and making noise, she should have obeyed the teacher. However, cutting the girl’s HAIR is just TOO MUCH. If she was playing with the buttons on her shirt, would she cut them off? How about her shoe laces? Her fingers? There are plenty of ways to deal with subordination besides cutting off that girl’s hair. I’m glad she got fined but she needs a little… Read more »

Angelina
Angelina

OMG! That “teacher” should be fired.

Monet
Monet

I was so angry when I saw this story. I know how hurt I would’ve been as a little girl if someone had cut my hair like that, but I can’t imagine how scared and betrayed she must have felt to have a teacher, someone who’s supposed to protect her and be an example, harm her like that.

I hope the teacher loses her job at least.

Krystal

That is so unbelieveable, I don’t know where to start. Let that have been a little white girl, and that teacher would have been suspended. Her actions were tantamount to assult, in my opinion. I know there were other legitimate ways to discipline that child besides “defacing” her person.

b.
b.

Just watched the video…and yep, she was making noise with the beads. Did the teacher have a rubber band at her desk? She could have tied them back and told her to sit down. If it continued, send her to the office. There’s no guarantee that doing this would have solved the problem, but cutting hair is not the answer.

lina40

OMG — This is atrocious! I live less than an hour away and I have not heard this story! I will be writing a letter to the school board — this makes me soo mad! Dont caucasian girls play with their hair too? Why was this chosen as punishment versus a warning or a task related to academics?

Alesia
Alesia

So my mom is definitely in the teaching profession and she gets frustrated but she definitely wouldn’t cut a person’s hair. My main thing is that the teacher is only getting a fine and nothing else. And when I read the whole article and some of the comments, I felt like this was becoming way too crazy. Seriously, why is it a racial thing or a natural hair thing? This is a 7 year old girl and a grown woman. WHAT GROWN WOMAN CUTS A LITTLE GIRL’S HAIR BECAUSE SHE’S “FRUSTRATED”?! This world, man, this world.

chocomiel
chocomiel

I am so upset about this.… How is this not considered Battery (a harmful or offensive touching of another)? If a Teacher physically mishandled my child I would be contacting an attorney.

She should be fired and sued. I cannot imagine someone taking a scissors to my hair without my permission and not be meeting her in courtroom.

That teacher is a menace.

Hannah J
Hannah J

If that was a blonde little girl and a black teacher the teacher would be out on her arse before the end of the school day. Its wrong no matter who which way you look at it but $175 fine and “Try better dear” Just is not cutting it. (pardon the pun)

Jaeanjel
Jaeanjel

That teacher should’ve been suspended without pay or something. $175 is not enough for an atrocious act like that. If it were somewhere else her behind would’ve gotten beat. This teacher, and I use that term loosely, is a disgrace to the teaching profession.

Krystal

I just read an article of a similar incident back in May 2008 where a Houston teacher cut seven inches of her student’s hair. That teacher was told not to report back to work. This Milwaukee teacher is still in the classroom, and they moved the little girl, like she was the problem!

msalg01
msalg01

That little girl’s mom straight needs to sue that woman for assault and battery, because what that teacher did was a crime and she may be sued. How ridiculous!! Makes NO sense!!

b.
b.

Dang Krystal…that is wacky! I just saw the Houston story you linked. She didn’t even do it b/c of “distraction”…but just b/c she wanted to???! SMH.

The little girl in the story above already sounded so bitter about it all in the video. Esp the part when she said “She just threw it in the trash.” That teacher is so disrespectful of another person. Any grown woman worth their salt does not confuse humiliation with discipline.

Alexis
Alexis

My mother would have went bazerk! Theres no way she should be teaching at the school, she clearly doesn’t know how to control her behavoir.

The childs mother should have went up theer and use the same scissors to cut of the teachers hair!

Keyona Shears

What the heck, when teachers take it tooo far. Like what the heck.

Christa Mi Marie

Ugh this is just a perfect example of the racial tension that goes on in Milwaukee. Its so sad because shes just a little girl and the teacher had no right to even touch her. The mother should take the teacher to court, because this is just ridiculous. Her punishment should be worse than what it is. Just another story of some of the crazy stuff that goes on in Milwaukee

MissyD
MissyD

Ummmm, really??? REALLY???!!! There is no excuse for a teacher to have this short of patience. I don’t care how frustrated your day has been. She couldn’t put her in time out? Take points or priveledges away? Threaten her with no recesss? How was cutting the little girls hair really a good idea? I remember when a classmate got gum stuck in her hair. The teacher literally tried everything and still didn’t feel comfortable cutting the lil girls hair until she got confirmation from the lil girls mother. This woman needs more than just a fine. On a side note, that lil… Read more »

afrokittay

Sad. I read about this on another site and sadly, there were comments ATTACKING the little girl. What’s more disturbing is that the act in itself is really just reinforcing negative behavior. That woman should know better.

sonya
sonya

This an assualt, plan and simple. I do not believe in unneccesary litigation however, there is no excuse WHATSOEVER for this. NONE!!!

Shell

Seriously, that teacher needs her behind kicked!!! And be suspended, as well. What kind of a teacher is that!

Msnappy
Msnappy

Again, what is racial a/b this? It was wrong but why make it a racial issue? Who’s to say the teacher was white?

Melanie
Melanie

WTH! NEVER put your hands on Someone’s child! PERIOD!! That includes cutting their hair off! The teacher Should Have called up the Parent and the Principle FIRST!! NO EXCUSE! I HOPE that the Mother Sues!

Ana
Ana

Crazy and hateful things like that only happen in the U.S…
The mother have to sue that so-called teacher.

Sugabelly

I was going to say that if this had been a white little girl and the teacher had been black, she would have been indicted for assault and suspended immediately.

Oh well.

Jasmine
Jasmine
Reply to  Sugabelly

I remember in the car one day, I was telling my friend and her mom about this. Even though the race of the teacher hasn’t been reveal ( or maybe it has and I just don’t know) but my friend’s mom said that this wouldn’t have happened if it was a little white girl with blond hair. It wouldn’t have happened because people today put so much value on blond hair.

ayomide
ayomide

This is HORRIBLE!!! and I am about to move to Milwaukee in January. I would have to hold back from smacking that teacher if she did that to my child. It’s not like the child was talking while the teacher was teaching. No one has a right to do that anyone let alone a child. That teacher should be fired.

BajanPrincess82
BajanPrincess82

That is assault, pure and simple. I hope the mama presses charges or at least waits for the teacher after school and whips that behind!

stewie griffin
stewie griffin

Chop off my kid’s hair and I’ll chop your hand off teacher!!!!!!!

Bri
Bri

It’s the extent to which this woman went that gets me. The child is a child, and a little one too. How dare she is all I’m thinking.
Send the girl to the principal’s office if she acting up, give her detention…But don’t go there. This has to be illegal.

WTF!

crazy5470
crazy5470

Yeah the thing about Milwaukee… it’s one of the most racially divided cites in the nation and they don’t care about black people to much here (I live in Milwaukee)… so from here it’s unfortunate but sadly not very surprising. This isn’t the 1st time i heard about this… But I think the teacher was black and this happened in a Milwaukee Public School(urban area).

suryah

It’s an outrage that someone in public education can get away with something like this. Actually the punishment was a slap on the wrist.
Plus it sets no example for children. This sends a very negative message. The child’s personal space was violated. This teacher was a
very careless, non caring person. Having been in the teaching profession myself.
This is not someone in my opinion who should be teaching kids!!!

Or
Or
Cassie
Cassie

Only 15 people have signed the petition. Wonder if this teacher will figure out that she can get away with her misconduct. Sad story.

Molly B
Molly B

WTF!! Who does that? That teacher is crazy if she thinks that chopping off little kids’ hair is an acceptable punishment :/

Amaka
Amaka

I don’t know why the mom did not file charges of assault on that teacher b/c the law states that any unwanted physical contact by a person is assault.

Classychassis
Classychassis

I had a very similar experience in the 4th grade. My braids were super long, and i played with them. My teacher told me to stop playing with my hair or she’d rip it off. I assured her that was impossible, as it was firmly attached to my head. She threw me out of her class. I sat outside the rest of the afternoon and then called my daddy in tears. He promptly came to talk with this awful woman. Not 5 mins go by and she has to call the principle to the class for this discussion because she felt… Read more »

Porsha
Porsha

That Teacher wuda got an old country style ASS WHOOPIN

Jinx
Jinx

This bitch would’ve got her ass beat in front of her class as punishment for touching my child’s hair like that. How does it feel to get a taste of your own medicine dumbass!

Francis
Francis

If I was that chile’s mom, I would have cut that bitch’s hair and see if she liked it.

Amber
Amber

I’d beat that a$$ and shave her head!!!!

l
l

Seriously, that’s assault. I’d file a police report.

Ugonna Wosu
Ugonna Wosu

she could have made her sit outside the class. This was crossing the line, crossing boundaries she should not cross. This really pisses me off.

Ellie
Ellie

I don’t care what happened: You put your hands on my child? It’s over. Oh-Ver.
If it were a serious issue, then there are different and better ways to get through to the child and deal with her.

You cut a child’s hair because she was playing with it during class (something that most little girls tend to do anyway)? You have issues. You really shouldn’t be around children if that’s your go-to method of dealing with things.

Jenny
Jenny
Reply to  Ellie

I agree Ellie.…YOU TOUCHED A CHILD!!!
—I haven’t event addressed the hair yet!!
I say we all take a visit to this school.…and explain the importance and pride our of hair, especially amongst our race! (No offense to other races)

Rodney
Rodney
Reply to  Ellie

I work around kids of all races and I must admit that it is usually Becky and Amber that can not keep their hands out of their hair!!!! This is a clear example of assault!!!The girl was physically touched by a teacher in a disciplinary manner. There is NO excuse for that. Mother please file suit!!!!

Sham
Sham

A Fine!! Excuse Me but ALL little girls play in their hair!! No matter her skin color,texture or length!! I pray the mom goes after her & the school if they don’t do something else. My thing is this today you cut a child’s hair what the hell are you gonna do tomorrow ??!!!

EnuffSaid
EnuffSaid

This child’s Mother has to be the dumbest B!%@# on the planet (the perfect example of a dumb, yes master, uneducated Nigger.… and yes I said it) How could any one allow something like this to happen to their child and do basically NOTHING!!!! but say “I said, ‘Well, you know, you cut a lot of her hair off.” Cammon’s mother said she appreciates the apology but said the district should seriously question whether the teacher should keep her job. “Why would we want someone like that teaching our kids? We trust our kids once they go to school to be… Read more »

luvmyhair
luvmyhair

this is horrible why would she do that

NYLady
NYLady

A FINE?? This is not acceptable! The family should press charges immediately, the so-called teacher should lose her job. Oh.….let’s not forget that her hair would be cut and thrown in garbage as well. This is so irritating that an adult would treat a child like that. She would be looking over her shoulder for the rest of the year…(waiting on the azz kicking)

Marshall
Marshall

You all understand that calling the teacher a bitch and condemning her as an evil person is the exact same kind of dehumanization and hatred that leads to this kind of behavior, right?

She was dead wrong. She shouldn’t have done it. But it doesn’t make her an unredeemable human being. And it doesn’t make it okay to raise the pitchforks on her.

Spedteacher6530
Spedteacher6530

Way out of line! I am a teacher, and a child playing with their hair is not at all irritating to me! This could have totally happened in several more appropriate and effective ways! Totally unprofessional! Things like this give those of us that are good, caring teachers a bad name!

RASTA
RASTA

I would have went up tp that school, held that bitch down in front of her class and cut all her damn hair off. I had to beat a teacher ass for hittong my baby before. That bitch needs a Englewood beat down.

Breeeee
Breeeee

WHAT THE F*CK IS THIS B*TCH’S NAME? Someone needs to put her ass on blast and start a damn petition. The parents need to get more vocal. Why hasn’t her name been released? If this was my child the teacher wouldn’t have any damn peace!!!!

Joshua Kricker
Joshua Kricker

It’s assault. Charge her criminally. Sue her civilly for that AND intentional infliction of emotional distress. Demand her resignation from teaching and advise her she can either leave quietly or she can be made famous. Her choice.

Millissa
Millissa

For everyone saying charges should be filed, they were. That’s why the teacher had to pay a fine. That’s all she got. Disorderly conduct, $175.

What would be nice is if the family filed a lawsuit. But that takes time and money and a decent lawyer and that’s more than most folk have.

thatguy

so what is the address of this school and name of the teacher?
we need to

- holler at her personal home address via spokeo.com
— holler at her linkedin profile so she can never teach again
— find out where she goes to church to shame her in front of the congregation.
— **open to more suggestions.

Mary Wendy Roberts
Mary Wendy Roberts

That teacher should have been FIRED! There is NO justification for that. NONE.

nigeria

This is completely unacceptable and makes me ashamed for my city. If I were that girl’s mother, that teacher would never work around another child again.

Betty Adex
Betty Adex
Reply to  nigeria

Hello, I am curious about the name you choose on this web.

Where are you from originally?

Yes, am a Nigerian. Oh and a female, so am not hitting on you.

Reggie
Reggie

All she received was a ticket. That is not acceptable. What she did was assualt a child and should be charged accordingly. She definitely needs to be pulled from the classroom and lose her license to teach.

Sharon
Sharon

The original article was published in 2009. I wonder if anything further happened to this so-called teacher?

Kendon
Kendon

damn. If I was the parent of that child, not only would I have the teacher up on assault charges, I would sue the ish out of that school district . Me and my lawyer would be so tight that people would think we were having an affair.

KL Myers
KL Myers

Let’s take that teacher in front of the school and cut ‘just a little’ off her hair. Then let the parents take her to court for assault. That is completely unacceptable.

Dsjok
Dsjok

The parents need to swear out a warrant against this crazy teacher for Assault and Battery.

The teacher had no liberty to cut this child’s hair and it was done for punitive action.

This world has gone completely CRAZY!

BRANDI PORTER
BRANDI PORTER

That ish crazy…but the thing is MPS are allowing these teachers to get away with every enthical thing that they do…Hell they only have a limited amount of teachers so they don’t care how they treat the children…only if the child will be there for the citywide count so they don’t lose funding!!! They allowed the only seven grade teacher Keefe Ave to send my child to a six grade class everyday…with work or without. The principal..assistant principal and school board.…all allowed it!!!

kim
kim
Reply to  BRANDI PORTER

You think what the teacher did was ethical. Really? Are you a teacher? The teacher went too far and needs a good ol butt kicking an hair shaving.

MrsGlam
Reply to  kim

I think Brandi was trying to write “unethical”.

Joshua
Joshua

They should shave the teacher’s head in front of the whole school as punishment. With a razor, not clippers.

Addy Hilter
Addy Hilter
Reply to  Joshua

Not a razor. A rusty, half blunt cleaver.

Robin
Robin

The teacher needs to be charged with assault, endangering the welfare of a child, operating without a license, and a hate crime in a court of law. Sued in civil court for damages seen and unseen. Forced to do community service with a shaved head with a big red scarlet letter B for bigot. Wait, FB — you fill in the rest. And I’m serious.

Nell
Nell

There is ZERO reason for a teacher to ever cut a child’s hair. Someone who would do this should be removed from her job immediately. I would strongly suggest protect outside the school until they take care of this. I would even get in touch with Al Sharpton. Native American male children grown their hair long as part of their custom and they have many issues with teachers cutting their hair. This kind of behavior should be punished by law but if not you can take her to civil court and make her pay.

Favi
Favi

Wow! I think the mom should press charges. That is assault and child abuse. Teaching is such a wonderful profession for people who LIKE children. This awful woman needs to quit teaching and find a job where she can’t abuse children!

Chyna
Chyna

Start a petition one Change.org to have the teacher fired

Metal Goddess
Metal Goddess

This woman cuts off this little girl’s hair and asks her what she’s going to tell her mother? I wonder what her mother told that teacher.

cactusflora
cactusflora

This was a crime of assault and battery compounded by humiliation. Since this happened in 2009, the teacher should have been arrested; charged with assault and battery; and forced to pay restituition to the child.

Shay
Shay

NOBODY has the right to touch a child in anyway shape or form that the parents have not agreed to. to humiliate that poor girl just because she was doing something that annoyed the teacher is no excuse to take it upon themselves to do something about it. that teacher needs to lose her job and sent to counseling along with a mental evaluation. if it was so bad then the teacher could have called the parents later to let them know that it was a distraction. i dare somebody to touch my kid and only get off with a… Read more »

Shay
Shay

oh, and since she thought that was ok to take it upon herself to do that, let the parents of that teacher also shave her hair off in front of a lot of people. see how ok that teacher would think that is then

Shay
Shay
Reply to  Shay

i mean the parents of that child’s teacher

Sad
Sad

So a teacher makes a crap decision because she’s frustrated and traumatizes a little girl (in 2009 mind you, so there isn’t anything that can be done now) and that’s a reason for people to show the worst side of their humanity? Advocating forcibly shaving her and stalking her at her home? Why? Because you’re frustrated? So how are you all different than this teacher? Not surprising we get get so little accomplished in this world when this is how we treat each other. It’s just sad. This kind of conversation does nothing to remedy the problem, it only shows… Read more »

kim
kim
Reply to  Sad

That teaher was in a position of authority over several small children. If you do not have the temperment to handle small children, teacher is not the profession for you. She should be fired and charged with criminal charges and the school district sued for not firing her and condoning the conduct. Shaving her head is an eye for an eye concept that should be used in this instance.

Jim Price
Jim Price

Fire the teacher, and fire anyone who protects her.

Mari Steed

This is exactly what nuns did in Irish Magdalene Laundries to punish women and girls. In May 2011, the UN Committee Against Torture ruled that such punishment did, indeed, constitute torture. Prosecute this teacher — now.

carmen salgado
carmen salgado
Reply to  Mari Steed

This is corporal punishment and she definitely needs to be prosecute. When, I taught this behavior by this teacher was not tolerated by the DOE nor parents. Call Advocates for Children, they should help.

carmen salgado
carmen salgado
Reply to  carmen salgado

correction: prosecuted

MJ Lawal
MJ Lawal

I would assume that since the Teacher wasn’t prosecuted that she was a White Teacher. If a Black Teacher had done this to a White child, not only would she/he have been prosecuted but the employment terminated too. Black Americans, it’s time for you to step up and stop allowing these whites here to murder your children, mistreat them, murder your men and women. Time to protest against these aholes. 500 years of extreme abuse and they still won’t stop. Look how many Whites support Zimmerman because he murdered a Black child? Time to take action.

Gretchen c.
Gretchen c.
Reply to  MJ Lawal

That’s an ignorant answer!

SarahSolidad
Reply to  Gretchen c.

While extreme, this answer is not ignorant. Racism is extreme and has extreme result. This answer rings true on so many levels. When crime happens from white to black punishment is slow if at all. But when Black people commit crimes- especially against white people- punishment is fast and often unjust. Just google the Central Park Five- or look at the Trayvon case, as mentioned about. Many many people want to absolve Zimmerman of his crimes- and blame the victim- the black child- for his own death. Why? Perhaps these people would have done the same thing- their own prejudgements… Read more »

Rachel
Rachel
Reply to  MJ Lawal

This issue is not at all about race — this is about control — and a lack thereof. The teacher couldn’t control herself, so she attempted to control this child… Simply put, the parents should file criminal assault charges against this woman — because that’s what happened here. But since you’d like to make it a racial issue — why are we not equally outraged when a Black child murders another Black child?

mushman
mushman
Reply to  MJ Lawal

Destroy that teacher!kick that teacher’s ass.

Carmen Salgado
Carmen Salgado
Reply to  MJ Lawal

I’m with you.

TruthDoctor
TruthDoctor
Reply to  MJ Lawal

You do realize that you speak about white prejudice and yet the very comment you make is extremely prejudiced against whites. You can’t have your cake and eat it too. You acting like whites are demons, out to destroy and rape your people is like me saying that all black people are gang-banging thugs that hunt and kill whites. But hey, it’s not racist if you aren’t white. That’s impossible, right? It’s this very kind of thing that makes co-existence a distant and wishful dream. You feel you have the right to demoralize and degrade an entire culture because of… Read more »

K
K
Reply to  TruthDoctor

Quick question though, who makes the laws and controls the justice system anyway?

karen
karen

Comments left by MJ Lawai are clearly another reason to incite racism amongst other cultures and in doing so breaks down communities causing hate and resentment. There are good and bad in any colour and the colour of their skin should not be used as a way to decide on the punishment given for crime committed. If this was a white child or a black teacher it should make no difference, what they did was clearly an assault and its the crime that should be the most important thing in this article not the colour of peoples skin. Small minded… Read more »

Gretchen c.
Gretchen c.
Reply to  karen

Very well put.

Wale
Wale
Reply to  karen

I hope you are lecturing whites who are historically racist and dangerous and not just engaging in reactionary commentary. Sounds like you just want peace with no justice.

Timbuktu
Timbuktu
Reply to  karen

Race “should” not matter when it comes to punishment for a crime but Sadly it does. From the chaingang to the privately owned prisons.

Susan
Susan

With regard to the article, it’s shocking to think any adult in a position of authority over children would have the audacity to assault a child in their care. It’s even more shocking that there was no real action taken. In my view, this should be handled the same as a malpractice by a doctor or lawyer and the perp should lose their license to practice their craft. Clearly there’s no internal moral compass in the teacher who would cross the lines in this way. So how is a fine supposed to protect the rest of the children? As to… Read more »

dochelle
dochelle

Woooow!!!!! There should be a lawsuit not only for her “conduct”, criminal charges should be file for Assault & Battery; tourture; an anything else an Attorney can think of!! This lil girl was mocked, ridiculed, laughed at, & made a spectical in front of her peers. Lets do the rest of the class like that & see “what fines” will be given. The, fact she is still in the classroom is mind blowing to me, she (as an adult with authority) took a pair of scissors in front of a classroom of impressionable children & demenstrated that it is “ok”… Read more »

Rachel
Rachel

what is the big deal of a 7 year old playing with her hair. She’s 7. Was she bothering anyone — the teacher needs to chill out and really deserves more then a “small fine” for overreacting to a 7 year old playing with her hair.

Ray
Ray

I not going to lie after watching the video I would have been a little irritated by the way she was playing with her hair too. But nevertheless this teacher was way out of line.

Leslie
Leslie
Reply to  Ray

LoL then you need counseling. She was flicking her hair out which was braided. The blond chick that sat in front of me in biology (who hair waist length hair that was un-tied)used to shake her hair every which way, twist a stand and flick her hair out(she was 14–15 not 7). Didn’t bother me to much at all. The teacher needs to be to loose her liscence point blank. Her conduct suggests she doesn’t know how to properly handle authority in respect to children. Which she’s no dout had training for that she disregarded. Had that been a highschooler… Read more »

kelly
kelly

WOW if my daughters teacher ever did something like this she would be hoping a ticket was all she would get.. I would sue the school, school board, the teacher and the the district att. How is a a teacher allowed to torment and abuse a child and get a ticket. If the child did this to the teacher she would have been suspended, expelled and taken out of that classroom in hand cuffs.. This teacher needs taken out of that classroom RIGHT AWAY. if she cut off a little girl’s hair because she was playing with and stressed what will… Read more »

Makemyday
Makemyday

That is outrageous.….there’s no way a black teacher would cut a girls hair.….being black we know the importance on hair. To think race don’t play an issue in this is to show how out of touch some of these ppl commenting are. We don’t care about peace and if you do lets get justice. I wish a teacher would do that to my child.…..

J. Walter Swartz
J. Walter Swartz

How is this not assault?

Diva Mea
Diva Mea

It doesn’t make any difference what the race or gender of the teacher is- this is a violation of the young girl’s person- period. in a time where the value of women and girls is questioned all over the world, to allow someone to think they had the right to encroach body and cut her hair is disgusting. I believe the teacher should be prosecuted!

ccollins
ccollins
Reply to  Diva Mea

I agree totally because if it were the other way around and the student had cut her hair she would have been kicked out of school and possibly her parents prosecuted.

Ang
Ang

I dont think this has to do with black or white A black teacher a while back had a disabled childs classmates vote him out of his class saying mean things to him about why they didnt like him and she still has a job It has to do with some people being Idiots and getting away with it

Sandra
Sandra

I have a lot of sympathy for teachers and the job they have to do, however this is inappropriate and goes beyond an attempt to discipline! There are many other disciplinary measures that could have been taken.

Shave Her Bald
Shave Her Bald

Shave that damn teacher bald!! She showed an absolute disrespect for the child and the parent. And apparently felt like there was no consequence for abusing that child. I’m so sick of these hateful, wicked, degenerate “human beings” who attack our children..

mushman
mushman
Reply to  Shave Her Bald

Destroy that teacher!

Leslie
Leslie
Reply to  Shave Her Bald

If that were my child. She wouldn’t have had to ask “what are you gonna tell your mother”. Id have been at her house later that night asking her “Now just what are you gonna be telling the police… bitch if its not an anonymous break in story I’ll be back to whoop that A$$ again”

ccollins
ccollins

This is clearly assault and she needs to be terminated, prosecuted and have a restraining order from this child. Where in her twisted mind did she think it was ok to cut this child hair as punishment, this was humiliating and degrading for her i’m sure. She lucky that child mom has not resorted to violence and just like there is a “no tolerance” policy in schools there should be one for teachers as well to keep things like this from happening.

r henderson
r henderson

This mother should sue the bricks of the school system…the teacher and anyone else…this is power at its worst.…a serious bully move…talk about insult and humiliation on a child…how dare an adult insult, assault a child like this…yes L A W S U I T .…she would be working for free…forever…this would turn out to be the most expensive hair cut in the history of cutting hair.…YES!!!!

Shannon
Shannon

The child must have prompted the teacher to act that way. You don’t loose control for nothing. But to cut off the child’s hair and go below her level, with “what are you gonna tell your mommie now? I think the teacher lost control and reacted poorly. She never should have touched the child in any form of anger or aggression. This action would require suspension in most states, but Wisconsin has different rules and allowances that would shock the world to know about.

Amanda
Amanda
Reply to  Shannon

Are you serious? Tell this to abused children if they did anything to provoke abuse when they were just sitting reading a book etc.

Freda I
Freda I
Reply to  Shannon

Playing with your hair is a response in many cases to anxiety and nervousness, apparently the child realized there was something wrong in that classroom, you have to wonder what else has gone on in that classroom that no one except the kids and the teacher will ever know. Humiliating a 7 year old child may be only the tip of the iceberg. Just sayin.

Frederic Michael Hazard

One issue„, like in a TIME 2 KILL when the lawyer told the story and had them close their eyes… without characters race hear the story: “STUDENT PLAYING WITH HAIR, TEACHER TELLS HER TO STOP, STUDENT CONTINUES, TEACHER CUTS A WHOLE SECTION OF HER HAIR AND THROWS IT IN THE TRASH, STUDENT CRIES, TEACHER RESPONDS, WHAT ARE YOU GOING TO DO…” Her hair is a part of her own body, meaning it grows out of her and is an extension of her… ONLY the parent has the right to determine whether of not to remove that extension… The teacher took it upon herself… Read more »

C.S. Stone

this article is 4 years old! come on now ladies… I recognize that what happened was uncool.. but it was uncool.. FOUR YEARS AGO…

check your dates before posting stuff.. dang…

Freda I
Freda I
Reply to  C.S. Stone

No matter how long ago it was this person has no business in anyone’s class room, ever!

Dlynn82

This is abuse AND assault ! This teacher needs to be charged accordingly !

cindy
cindy

Well the little girl playing with her hair like that is annoying but it should not have went that far. The teacher should get anger management or something as well

Freda I
Freda I

I am a non-violent personally but violence was done to that little girl and all I can say is that teacher better be very, very glad that I was not that child’s mother.

dountoothers
dountoothers
Reply to  Freda I

I agree with you. When people take advantage of children it ignites an overwhelming need to defend the child and it cross all ethnic lines. Children should be protected at all times and at all cost.

dountoothers
dountoothers

I would have met the teacher outside the school and cut her hair off. I bet the fine would not have been small and neither would her haircut. The teacher will get hers, people like her always do in the end…

Sherice
Sherice

So what happens when the little white girl twirls her hair annoyingly? That is assault…and I’m sorry, but the teacher’s ass would need to be kicked.

Vette Rich
Reply to  Sherice

Your opinion is yours & I can’t & won’t take that away from you but we can’t really play the race card, unless you are speaking toward the school not really taking it more serious. The police did. They wanted to charge her with a criminal act bu the judge wouldn’t allow it or the district attorney wouldn’t.

Ruth
Ruth

Someone that acts like that out of frustration should not be teaching.

Sassy
Sassy

I would be outraged if someone had done that to my child!!! But on the same note, I would have to discipline my child for not listening, also. Think about it… back when a lot of us grew up, the child would have at least been sent to the principal, our parents would have been called, and we would have had our asses beat when we got home. (but it wasn’t called abuse back then, it was called instilling values!) I believe the child, mother and teacher are all at fault in this situation!

Lee Marshall
Lee Marshall
Reply to  Sassy

For playing with my hair in class? Are you kidding?

Karim
Karim
Reply to  Sassy

I believe the child, mother and teacher are all at fault in this situation!”. Have you lost your mind? Personally, I don’t know what the teacher was thinking about, when she decided to re-arrange the little girl’s hair without the parents permission. How annoying can she be, by playing with her hair. Now, if the beads were making noise and disturbing the other students or the teacher, then I understand how she would find that annoying. However, the teacher definitely went too far.

cindy
cindy
Reply to  Karim

I agree with you, it did go to far… when the little girl, apparently was not listening when the teacher told her to stop, that is when you need to send her to the principals office. I would be furious if she did that to my daughters hair and then again i would be disappointed that my daughter did not listen to an adult and followed directions. Not giving an excuse for the teacher, just saying this all could have been avoided… if the kid listened and the teacher had more patience working with kids.

Michael Rowe
Michael Rowe
Reply to  Sassy

Then you’re a horse’s ass, “Sassy.”

Virginia
Virginia

This story has already happened, it is called “Matilda” by Roald Dahl, apparently this woman didn’t learn from it. She somehow got a kick out of bullying someone who is innocent. This is the danger of behavior control as well, what is to say that playing with her hair didn’t actually help her concentrate?

Buttascotch
Buttascotch

I wonder how this would have went down if the braid was a blonde pigtail instead? Nonetheless, this teacher was out of order and should not be around children. She clearly has anger issues and should have been fired for this incident. There is noway an adult should touch a child in anyway with a dangerous object like scissors.

Marie M
Marie M

I’m confused about the comments that say the girl should have listened to the teacher and not twirled her hair. Sorry, but since when is playing with one’s own hair a disciplinary offense? Any potentially harmful or offensive contact with another person or anything in that person’s possession, especially with a weapon, is assault. The teacher should be charged accordingly and lose her job. Shame on her.

Areyoukiddingme?
Areyoukiddingme?

You people have got to be kidding me. Almost 128 comments against teachers. I guarantee you that little girl sat in that class annoyingly flicking her hair for DAYS on end. She was probably told over numerous days to STOP doing that. She probably thought it was funny, and liked the attention she got from distracting and disrupting all the other students — who were also most likely involved in all sort of irritating shenanigans. You want to know why it’s so hard to find good teachers nowadays? Because teaching has become glorified babysitting. The parents take no responsibility, and… Read more »

Michael Rowe
Michael Rowe

If it was “a blondie with pigtails” the teacher would be in jail for assault right now, Areyoukiddingme, and racists like you would be up in arms if the teacher who did it was black. I seriously hope you’re not a woman, because if you are, I’d like to think Child Protective Services would keep an eye on your kids if you think going at a little girl with a pair of scissors isn’t assault. Shame on you either way—yours is a despicable comment.

Hayden
Hayden
Reply to  Michael Rowe

Good comment except I’m not sure why you’re only concerned about this person being in charge of kids if a woman–that sort of comment is just playing into the ideology that a woman’s job is childcare.

Michael Rowe
Michael Rowe
Reply to  Hayden

No mother should ever be in charge of teaching her daughter about her daughter’s self-ownership, and her personhood, if she thinks that attacking a girl with scissors and cutting off her hair as a punishment is OK. It has nothing to do with “women being in charge of childcare.” It has to do with abusive role modelling

JWill
JWill

Get a life. Are you serious. Blaming this little girl for the inappropriate actions of an adult. No matter how “annoying” she was being, it doesn’t give someone the right to assault her. How I see it. You are annoying, ignorant, and speak out your ass, and yet no one is abusing you…

Michael Rowe
Michael Rowe
Reply to  JWill

Exactly.

goodmom
goodmom

I have been around a while and have never heard anything like this before. She was able to cut that child’s hair because she was a small child. What if she had resisted. She was supposed to just take that right? If she was bored in class then that speaks volumes to me. If I was her mother a fine would not be enough and my child would not be in her class ever again. Hair is an extension of everyone. She had not right to remove anything connected to that child’s hair. If the child was that bad then… Read more »

Em
Em

You sound like a fool. “Good teachers” don’t cut students hair out of “frustration”. If you as an adult can’t control children, then you don’t need to be teaching. You might also need some type of therapy if you can’t see how extreme and unnecessary this so called discipline is. The only thing ridiculous is your comment. I hope you are trolling and not this clueless.

tired of the bull
tired of the bull

You are a damn fool! So dismiss yourself!!!!!!

Lacrisha
Lacrisha

Would it be okay then for me to go up to you in a workplace and cut your hair for being an annoying colleague?

Didn’t think so..

sweetlady
sweetlady

I gave you a thumbs UP for your post, but it gave you negative points. I think there are bigger issues to tackle than a haircut.

Applehappi
Applehappi

And if she was that disrespectful and her playing with her hair was that much of a distraction in the class, send her to the principal’s office or put her in punishment. Years ago they removed spanking in class. A teacher is NOT suppose to put their hands on a student. She violated that girl and was completely inappropriate, regardless of the girl’s actions. Race has nothing to do with it, however, I do feel that the teacher may have think twice if it was a white girl’s pigtails.

Chuck
Chuck

Not that I am condoning what the Teacher did but she did tell the girl to stop playing with her hair. Now that being said I feel that kids these days have ZERO Consequences for anything they do and that is part of what is wrong with this Country…

Michael Rowe
Michael Rowe
Reply to  Chuck

What you think is wrong with the country couldn’t be less relevant, Chuck. The fact is, whether she told the girl to stop playing with her hair once, or a thousand times, the teacher committed bodily assault against the little girl. The teacher had no business TOUCHING her, let alone cutting her hair off.

Danny
Danny
Reply to  Chuck

Chuck are you white?

danita

oh in the hell gave that teacher the right to do that to that child if it was bothering her so much while she was teaching the class she should call the child parent and told them about it.Why she did not is because she knew that the child parents would have ask a lot of question about it to her, so she should be fired not no small fine .That is like saying to a child that she has no rights and she is still a kid ‚I wish that would have been my daughter i would have my… Read more »

Sarah
Sarah

Did this really happen in 2009 as the article states? I am not cononing the teachers’ actions but why has this incident being rehashed? Hopefully, the child’ hair would have been grown back, she is thriving in a school that values and challenges her. There is truth to those who posted that often times kids do not come to class disciplined to learn. They send texts, snack on candy and essentially ignore their teacher. Apparently, no one has made them accountable for obtaining a education> Still, the teacher was wrong for cutting the child’s hair. By her actions she showed… Read more »

Reply to  Sarah

I just noticed the date December 11, 2009. The name of this web page is MISSGUIDEUS.

There needs to be an update to this story. I need to pay careful attention when responding to controversy.

Thanks Sarah for noticing.

Tonya

That’s the problem with the school system they always want it to be that the kids are the problem. I honestly think it’s the teachers that they r bringing into the school.. Honestly people how can a lil girl playing with her hair annoy u… IT’S HER HEAD!! N for her to cut her n make her cry in front of the class. That was cruel n nasty she wanted to make the Lil girl look bad. N be made fun of… Hell I have a question when all the kids started laughing what did she do to those kids???… Read more »

Ann
Ann

This was horrible! I taught over 30 years and taught in rural, inner city and wealthy children. I have Never touched a student regardless of what they did. I even had a student put a thumbtack in my chair and one who threw a rock at and yes he hit me. Parents don’t always know what their children are doing in school. I for one tried to have close connect with my parents. I would have what I called Phone Night. I would post it on the board and tell students what time they would hear their phone ringing and… Read more »

amy
amy

If she was disruptive in class she should have been sent out to the principals office and the teacher needs to be fired but only after someone holds her down and cuts all her hair off.

Chasmodai
Chasmodai

Children DO need to be taught to behave respectfully and to follow instructions, but this is not the way. The teacher’s behavior was not respectful and does not make a good example. The teacher needs to learn how to properly guide children and address behaviors. A seven year old is at a certain place developmentally and it’s important to understand this in order to know how to respond. How can a child learn to respect the feelings and boundaries of others if hers are not respected? If I were that mother I would be livid.

carrie chance
carrie chance
Reply to  Chasmodai

I agree that students should behave respectively but I don’t see how her playing with her hair is being disrespectful.

carrie chance
carrie chance

That isn’t acceptable punishment in any case but why should she have been punished at all for “playing with her hair”? seriously?

Angela
Angela

I presume that little white girls should be bald then?

Debra Silviano
Debra Silviano

She should be fired, and I hope the parents sue her. That was just plain wrong, and if she does something like this for a simple act of twirling of hair, what will she do for things that are really bad?? She has no business being a teacher.

Ali
Ali
Reply to  Debra Silviano

OMG that is outrageous! I work in a primary school in UK (4–11 years) and that kind of behaviour would be considered assault!
She should be removed immediately!

mary
mary
Reply to  Debra Silviano

that is outrageous!!!! I hope the parents file criminal assault charges on the teacher and demand her termination!!! let the child shave the teacher’s head of all her hair in front of the whole school and see how humiliated she is. that won’t even be an ounce of what the poor child felt.

Max Hart
Reply to  Debra Silviano

What a good kid she is too. I really hope she’s OK & was just appalled at what happened to her.

She’s an impressive kid & the sort of kid it would be good to have in your class room I would think.

Aneesah
Aneesah
Reply to  Debra Silviano

There’s no excuse. That’s just plain wrong. Only an evil person would do that. Why is she still in the classroom?

kimberly heckler

that teacher has no business teaching, she was frustrated? she has to learn to deal with children and be frustrated every day in a classroom with out chopping of the hair and even worse! she needs to be immediately removed from that situation before she does something worse to a child with those scissors! next she will be chopping off fingers or a head! stop her before it’s too late! you have the chance to do something now! stupid people!

Bob Hoffman
Bob Hoffman

This teacher should be charged with assault, at the very LEAST–if it were MY child/grandchild, that bitch would be dealing with ME, in the parking lot, when she tried to LEAVE to go home!!!

really
really
Reply to  Bob Hoffman

great…go to prison…

really
really
Reply to  Bob Hoffman

great…go to prison…for intimidation, assault…not much better than the teacher, eh?

O'Phylia
O'Phylia

If her hair was straight I’d STILL be angry.

I can’t imagine what my mother would do. She made a teacher give a kid detention for putting sand in my hair.

Ather
Ather

This is assault. Kid should have said “I’m going to tell her you cut me.” Then told her folks that.

posttraumaticslavesyndrome
Reply to  Ather

That’s right!!!!

really
really

yes, the teacher was wrong to cut the girl’s hair. Yes, the teacher should be reprimanded, but the teacher was trying to teach. The child should have been sent out of the room. She was not just playing with her hair but purposely making distracting noises with the beads in her hair so that other children could not learn. She was warned. Why is not anyone asking the parents the lesson that the child might learn from this? I would have asked that the parents not put any beads in her hair since she is not considerate of her other… Read more »

SantanaNyla
Reply to  really

Do people realize that the teaching profession should not include abuse, i.e.,subjecting children to cruel and unusual punishment which will scar for a life time?

khar
khar
Reply to  really

If this was so distracting, the “teacher” should have sent a letter home or called the parent..

Reply to  khar

This story is 4 years old. So What happened since then anyone knows?

Not really...
Not really...
Reply to  really

It would have been more effective and less expensive/cruel/stupid to send a note or give a call the the child´s mother asking to remove the beads as a “punishment” (a desperate measure) instead of cutting her hair. That is a clear assault.

Peffy
Peffy
Reply to  Not really...

Yea I KNOW the child was being distracting, no doubt about that but that’s a 7 year old fascinated with beads in her hair thats what they do. If you want to punish the child call her out of the room and then take the beads out of her hair and send a note home to her parents. That is how you deal with frustration and a child being distracted by her hair. kmt slackness

SantanaNyla
Reply to  Peffy

Teachers can not remove hair accessories.Disruptive behavior which require intervention is referred to the Principal, guidance, or nurse’s office.Parents are consulted upon their discretion.
No further action is needed if these measures are put into place as classroom protocol.

jessybabe
jessybabe
Reply to  really

What lesson? Some woman who was supposed to be a role model to her students CUT A LITTLE GIRL’S HAIR. Are you saying that if I had braids and I were to twirl and flip them around, warned about playing with my hair, it’s ok to cut them? There is no lesson, this is fear. Now she probably thought afterwards that every time she touches her hair, someone’s going to just chop a braid or two again. Shame on the teacher for not controlling her temper. If you’re stressed then step out, take a deep breath, take a day off… Read more »

lea
lea
Reply to  really

really? then she should not have entered this profession. part of being a teacher is learning to have patience. you think she could have done this to an eighth grader and not get her ass beat? all because of frustration. she turned her frustration into intimidation. she had no right to touch her. her hair is still part of her body, that is assault, even add to the emotional hurt felt by a 1st grader from being a laughing stock in front of her peers as she was bullied by a teacher. if a classmate cut her hair, how would… Read more »

Cecilia

This person is still employed? Hope to God that her parents sue her and the Milwaukee Department of Education for not firing her. What she did is traumatizing and humiliating to that little girl. I am so pissed I could spit. She obviously doesn’t know how to deal with children. She had no right to touch that child not unless she was administering CPR or performing the Heimlich maneuver. How dare her! On so many levels this child is still being traumatized by this, she is moved from her class where things are familiar and I am sure she has friends.… Read more »

Claytonia Jones
Claytonia Jones
Reply to  Cecilia

What would she have done if a chid was talking-crazy gue their lips.She isa frigging BULLY not an educator. Her mate probaly beats her ass s she taes t out on te kids. he ndst be transfered to another school. And parents need to sue her because that child will never forget that humilation. She is most likely related to someone or sleeping with them.

julianna
julianna

we need to, as black people, write to that school and voice our disgust on behalf of this little girl. That teacher is a foul human.

Reply to  julianna

I agree, but before we bombard the school with letters, we need to know what happened since then. This story is almost 4 years old.

Taylor
Taylor
Reply to  julianna

Hey! I’m a white woman (don’t ask me how I got to this site..haha) &I’m just as appalled as most everyone else here! I’d be more than happy to be Ms. Cammon’s voice! That poor lil girl. It’s been a while since the event, though, & idk if anyone knows what has happened since then. If we do find out, we should all send letters/emails around the same time & make a change. Something needs to be done in this country to not permit under-qualified scum lead our children. If anyone is interested in another teacher bully story, watch this:… Read more »

michael
michael

i would have sued that bitch before my hair touched the bottom of the trash can…

Brian
Brian

I had to post this on my Facebook, my friends are going C‑R-A-Z‑Y and so am I… First and foremost, to the Mother you have a huge amount of tolerance for not beating the teacher down. The child, was probably traumatized by this. To be humiliated like that in front of all of her peers! To the school board, you should have removed that teacher immediately. Because, the lawsuit you are about to receive is going to be ridiculous!!

Cricket Lesso
Cricket Lesso

UPDATE: Read a current comment on another site from the media manager for the Milwaukee district. He said the district took the incident seriously and the teacher no longer works for the district.

Nikki
Nikki

I believe that teacher was just a jealous WITCH!!!!! that poor baby was probably traumatized after this incident

Deena

That is straight up ASSULT and there is no way that teacher should still be in the classroom. I’m a teacher myself and I know too well how kids can act up, but she is an ADULT who is TRAINED to deal with behaviour issues in a APPROPRIATE and PROFESSIONAL manner. That was neither. She needs to be gone- plain and simple. I hope the child’s parents sue.

Nitam
Nitam

She was punished for touching HER OWN HAIR? I’m sick of people refusing to allow children the rights to their OWN body. WTF? She has the right to do what she wants to her OWN hair. How did the teacher claim more rights to it?

Landa
Landa
Reply to  Nitam

She does have the right to do what she wants with her own hair when it does not interfere with the process of the learning community. Distracting the teacher interferes with the process of the learning community. Students are not to bring harm to themselves, others or the process of the learning community. The student was harming the teacher and the process of the learning community which means she was also harming herself. A distracted teacher cannot effectively teach. So, the student and the teacher both contributed to harming the process of the learning community.

Charlene
Charlene
Reply to  Landa

The teacher doesnot have the right to cut off her hair. Are you crazy or her friend. The teacher had better be glad that she got those parents because I would have cut her hair off in the parking lot that night in front of her peers and see how she likes it.

Angel
Angel
Reply to  Landa

You are out of your mind. She was being a 7 year old. If you can’t handle it, don’t teach that age group. Young children are going to be annoying. and I know this because I’ve worked with children from 6 months — 12 years for 15 years. Never have I ever been annoyed enough to harm a child and let a classroom full of children mock them. She had no right to touch her in anyway. There were better ways of dealing with this. She could have called her mother, or even sent her to the prin. office. If… Read more »

Aniyah
Aniyah

When I was her age I remember spending with my cousin braiding my armpit length hair with small beads into styles that everybody loved. Yet, after getting them done i would always run around to make the beads make loud noises and play in my hair like she did. Teachers always told me to stop but they never took dramatic measures like cutting my hair off. I believe the woman should never be able to teach again

Zanj
Zanj

Where can I find updated information pertaining to this article?

QueenShena
QueenShena

I’m not going to lie. I have spent years on my child’s hair to get it healthy, beautiful and long. If this would have happened to me and mine, I prob would have snuck up on her and scalped her and then told her to go tell her Mother.

I can believe it
I can believe it

I am so glad that my mother is deceased and I’m an adult. Cause the story would’ve read a little different. “Teacher assaulted for cutting a child hair”. My mother would have had a FIT

Landa
Landa

The teacher should not have touched the girl. By touching the girl, the teacher assaulted her. On the other hand, if the child was disrupting the class, the teacher should have given the girl warnings, then changed her seating to a place that she was not a distraction to the other students. If that did not work, the teacher should have given the student an assignment that she was capable of completing independently and sent her to work on it in the office with the necessary write up. At her break, the teacher should have called the parent(s) and informed… Read more »

Odie Blew
Odie Blew

My goodness! Is anyone else bothered by the noise thats being made by Lamaya ‘playing’ in her hair? I wouldnt, by any means have cut her hair off but I must admit that when she demonstrated how exactly she goes about ‘playing’ with it, I was very shocked. I could completely see how that would have been very distracting for a classroom. The teacher in this case was wrong for her actions. She shouldnt have let her possible frustration lead her to do what she did, but how are we to know how long she had dealt with the noise… Read more »

Reply to  Odie Blew

What I find interesting is that no one is paying attention that this happened 4 years ago and the teacher was fired. I tried to take down make earlier comments but I am unable to. All this makes me go mmmmmmm?

Reply to  Cecilia

Correction: I tried to take down my earlier comments but I am unable to.

Basically everyone is rehashing old news that has been resolved. people obviously are not aware, who ever is in charge of this site is allowing it to go on. It is drawing people to the page in a dishonest way.

SantanaNyla
Reply to  Cecilia

Adults should take things into perspective when dealing with children-the teacher reacted childishly. It’s inexcusable.

Chachamusicgirl

Oh no. If that was my child the teacher would have gotten slapped straight to hell. I always say keep your hands to yourself unless someone cuts your hair.

EdeRock
EdeRock

This is child abuse, plain and simple. Poor little kid.

trackback

[…] MMMAAANNN listen, this could NEVER BE MY CHILD, MY SISTER, MY NEICE, MY NOTHING!!! Check this article below found at BGLH […]

Nix
Nix

A teacher did that to a girl as punishment in my secondary school in Nigeria, but it was a lot more hair. Her father came to school with a pair of scissors the next day and cut off the teacher’s hair. That’s how you deal with that situation.

Um, why didn’t the Milwaukee teacher just pull her hair back in a ponytail with a rubber band if she just had to do something? I hope she’s working elsewhere in the school system, hopefully where she’ll have no contact with kids.

Lola
Lola

Isn’t that assault? There were some Amish guys who, forcibly, had their beards cut off & the suspects were subjected to legal punishment. Seeing as how I work in the school system, I know being a teacher is more than frustrating at times. However, that’s no excuse. I would’ve filed charges if she were my child’s teacher because this is absolutely unacceptable.

THELMA
THELMA

SHE SHOULD BE FIRED AND NOT ALLOWED WORK AT ANY SCHOOL.…..WOULD SHE LIKE SOMEONE TO DO THIS TO HER CHILD.…

christine
christine
Reply to  THELMA

She probably dosent have any children

Michelle Johns
Michelle Johns

If it was my daughter or related to me. I would hire attorney against school because the child have a freedom of expression. The teacher would been FIRED and she would have to write a letter of apology to student and be read in a press conference for the world too see the STUPID BITCH ..I would persue lawsuit for civil and criminal!!!!!!

Collins
Collins

RIDICULOUS!!! … That teacher should be ARRESTED!! … and INVESTIGATED FOR CHILD ABUSE!!! — and, the mother should have BEAT her AZZ!! .…. Who know the emotional harm that jealous AZZ ‘teacher’ did to that Child!!! — It was Assault of a Child!!

Misoaps
Misoaps

I would not have gone that far but I can see the teacher’s frustration…trying to teach and hearing the sound of those beads…you tell the child to stop but she won’t…oh and before you jump all over me…i am a natural hair black woman but I also believe in discipline..

Amber
Amber
Reply to  Misoaps

I agree with you, Misoaps. The noise those beads make can be so annoying! However, if you’re going to be a teacher you need to have more patience. If the hair was that big of nuisance, then the teacher could have sent the child to the principal’s office and had the mother called so they could work out a civil solution.

Teacher
Teacher
Reply to  Misoaps

The sound of beads…just like the sound of whispering kids (do you slap them?)…just like the sound of pencils tapping on desks (do you break them, throw them away)? I don’t care if you’re black with a perm or natural hair, or white with curly hair — whatever. The teacher’s reaction was wrong and it was not a disciplinary move. If you want discipline, write her up, send her to the administrator on duty. But you do not cut a child’s hair. That you don’t do

phok yu
phok yu
Reply to  Misoaps

STFU we dont care if you are black white yellow polka dots…this is not the way to treat a child period

@Misoaps Reject
@Misoaps Reject
Reply to  Misoaps

You’re one mentally unstable person, just like the teacher!!! Never represent African Americans in such negative regard again, you turd. If you don’t like what small children do, keep your sad and pathetic self away from them PERIOD!!! It’s much easier for you to go have your head examined and take the proper dose of pills prescribed for your mental condition than to have one of these parents snap and harm, or maybe even kill you because you’re simply not sane enough to think of a disciplinary action that doesn’t harm but teaches a lesson. This message can definitely be… Read more »

MJ
MJ

Didn’t she have any rubber bands? I mean immediately when I read WHERE this problem started from I just thought “This teacher should’ve tied this girl’s hair up,” or failing that — send her to the principal! It’s just so cruel that you would even think to do that to a child… I know if I was a parent that would not sit right with me.

Shasha
Shasha

OK. I’m not usually violent. BUT I THINK A BEATDOWN IS IN ORDER HERE!!

Teeninchee
Teeninchee

At this point I am thankful ALL she did was cut one braid. I thought at first she had cut ALL of them off. More troubling than the cutting of the braid is the question asked, “Now what are you going to go tell your mama?” It’s like she had a problem with the mother and took it out on the child. THERE IS NO WAY she needs to be in a classroom of children. When you teach children, you have to find ways to cope with noises they WILL make–and when the noise is more than you can take, you… Read more »

Just Being Honest
Just Being Honest

I’m pretty sure I would’ve come up to the school, cut the teacher’s hair off in front of the class, then proceeded to beat that a$$.

sharon
sharon

This is shocking!! and should be treated as child abuse..Can not believe the teacher is still allowed to teach in class, she should have been sacked on the spot! So what if this little girl was fidgetting with her hair, for gods sake she is a child and all kids fidget, no harm in that, their innocent…The teacher clearly humiliated this beautiful little girl infront of her whole class, this could affect her for the rest of her life!! If that had of happened to my child i’d have went their and humiliated the teacher by cutting her hair off… Read more »

Marianne Kurney
Marianne Kurney

I don’t know. If I were that child’s mother I would get in touch with all the parents of all the other children in that class and, together, keep the children out of the classroom. If the teacher can do this now, is there any possibility that her ‘disciple’ will escalate. Just a though.

Tommie L Pernell
Tommie L Pernell

What an atrocious abuse of power and a violation of the sacred relationship between student and teacher. This poor young girl can very easily be maimed forever. How does she regain trust and respect for teachers and other authority figures? it will be difficult. I trust that each will receive necessary counselling and psychological assistance. We must ensure that the young student is embraced and made to feel whole and secure. We don’t hold our teachers to be perfect so I do have concern for the teacher as well. And as a community, we must seek a win- win solution… Read more »

Jerry Ann hebron
Jerry Ann hebron

So the teacher did not master problem solving skills? We are talking about a seven year old in love with her hair and beads. I can think of seven positive ways to handle this

Sarah
Sarah

When I was an elementary student in MPS, I had a teacher who would get frustrated, throw out the contents of student’s desk and scream at them for making a mess when she in fact made it. She would also physically lift students and drop them on the floor. She did not lose her job. There a lot of really good teachers, but it’s still hard to fire the bad ones.

desya
desya

frustrated”?! If this is how she reacts when she’s frustrated with a child then she should not be trusted to care for children!! I can’t imagine what she would have done if a child was TRULY acting up in the class room!

Moral Force
Moral Force

This is criminal assault and battery.

This ‘teacher’ belongs behind bars.

Kate Lerner
Kate Lerner

How is that not ASSAULT?!

stephanie

I think teachers need mental evals after every year cus this is crazy if it were my child she would have been one plucked chicken in that school. i dont play about my kids hair it takes to long to get it to grow let alone doing there hair.

timothy Ivory
timothy Ivory

Its not a matter of discipline or any other problem solving technique Its about pure respect for that child as a human being with rights. And she was assaulted plain and simple and the reaction for that action would have been if it was my girls would had nothing to say except to tell my kids where to find the bail money !!!!!!

Arthur L Smith
Arthur L Smith

This was a CLEAR case of CHILD ABUSE! That teacher NEEDS to be F I R E D and lose their teaching credentials to work with K through 12 grade students.

Kaneesha
Kaneesha

I can’t stop laughing.

Roni
Roni
Reply to  Kaneesha

Exactly what part of a teacher stepping way outta line and cutting a child’s hair is funny?

Angel
Angel
Reply to  Roni

That’s what I was trying to figure out. What’s funny Do you know what I would do if my child came home with a braid missing!? Her mom is better than me because errbody would be getting a court summons. And it would take everything in me not to beat that teacher. Ijs.

trackback

[…] cuts child’s hair Milwaukee teacher cuts off little girl’s natural hair as punishment, throws it away in front o… Oh, hell no. My mom’s foot would have been in teacher’s butt. There is a thing called a […]

Cantrice L. Montgomery
Cantrice L. Montgomery

She better have security in her class and by her door. I’m coming in with my gang with some scissors and return the favor. Enough said.

Sandy
Sandy

Scissors hell, I have a shaver.!

RJG
RJG

To be honest, my 1st reaction was to laugh as well. But it was probably the most manical laugh of my life.
Let. Someone. Cut. My. Child’s. Hair. Off like that. I will become THAT black woman. And when I am done, my attorney will make a serious amount of money in fees.

Keisha
Keisha

There’s NOTHING funny about this. She needs to be fired and we wounder why kids are out of control. FYI.. Kids kill. Just freaken sad. Had her mom returned the flavor she would be sitting in the country jail.

D. A. Isley
D. A. Isley

Teacher would be fubar’d up if that was my daughter.

Cunt
Cunt

So the teacher is white. otherwise his or her picture would be posted AND he or she would have lost his or her fucking job. I really can’t believe that this teacher is allowed to keep their job AND moved the baby girl to another classroom!?! What in the fuckery type of message does this send?

Sandy
Sandy
Reply to  Cunt

Your name say’s it all. Sorry, if it was a white teacher, you bet your ass the picture would be up. NOW, take race out of it, because I am a white bitch and I still would woop someones ass over this child.. Why, because she is a child, has nothing to do with color.I don’t care if she is pink with yellow polka dots, this is mental child abuse, and this person needs to be fired and charges brought against her. Period.…

Joanna Haynes
Joanna Haynes
Reply to  Sandy

its psychological abuse-the mother needs a medal for being so laid back-teacher needs a lesson!

Joanna Haynes
Joanna Haynes
Reply to  Joanna Haynes

she should never be a teacher again

r4444b
r4444b
Reply to  Cunt

Not that it matters really but since your comment, it would be interesting to know the race of the teacher…I agree the teacher should be fired. The teacher’s actions was wrong on so many levels. Speaking of what type of message this sends, what message does your vocabulary sent to children?

wow
wow

if a teacher is going to get frustrated and cut a child’s hair then I would be worried what else would she do if upset and frustrated.… should have more punishment then just a little fine

Julie
Julie

It is wrong to try to change anything about a child’s appearance for punishment. To humiliate a child in public is shame on the teacher. She should be reprimanded and made to sit out a week without pay, at least. This is disrespecting the child. So what that she plays with her hair? It is a habit. The teacher is on a super power trip. Boooo.

Carlos Thorwaldsen
Carlos Thorwaldsen

A clear case of assault, felony cruelty to children and possibly assault with a deadly weapon. Not only did she assault the little girl she did the crime in front if a class of small children. That’s multiple counts if cruelty to children. Fire that bitch and send her ass to jail. I forgot, Violation of public trust.

Cassandra
Cassandra

Wow, I don’t understand how she still has a job.

BillyGene88
BillyGene88
Reply to  Cassandra

neither do I. what message does that send to the students? And if I were a parent who had a child in her class before the incident, I’d take them out at once. I wouldn’t trust that crazy.
You’re playing with your fingers too much, let me just cut them off and throw them in the trash. Nope.

Really

This is assault. Plain and simple. It not only deserves a removal from her job completely, it deserves to be placed before a judge and for her to receive jail time. Assault with harrassment to a minor.

NaturalNDaNati
NaturalNDaNati

I PROMISE YOU…I would have been at the school at the crack of dawn waiting on her to show up too!!!! Ooow!!!

Rebecca
Rebecca

I’m a hair dresser. Earlier this year a woman brought her daughter into the shop to cut her teenage daughter’s beautiful long hair to a short pixie cut for getting caught kissing a boy. I didn’t cut her hair but watched her sob the whole time while someone else did. Two days ago a father called the shop wanting to cut his teenage son’s hair off for skipping school. This is just plain wrong! I myself will refuse to do it! Hair is a child’s way of expressing themself. They could be doing much worse things! As long its clean… Read more »

Jo
Jo
Reply to  Rebecca

THANK YOU for not participating in a dumb misguided punishment. Why would any parent think that’s a useful form of punishment?

marisa
marisa
Reply to  Rebecca

Im always amazed at parents who think its ok to punish children with humiliation (cutting or shaving their hair). How evil can you be to your own child. That being said, I probably would have assaulted this teacher the same way she did my child. No teacher should ever for any reason put their hands on a student, especially not with scissors is this lady crazy? Not my kid. not ever. Why do kids have NO rights in the school system. A teacher can say anything, throw things at them, assault them, cut of their hair, keep their job and… Read more »

Tracey
Tracey

What ever happened to zero tolerance? Guess it doesn’t apply to teachers? This is bullying at it’s finest, by the teacher and the kids that laughed at this poor little girl.

BillyGene88
BillyGene88

I see that a lot of people want to laugh after seeing this, but I actually teared up. I don’t have children, but if this was my child… Absolutely Not. What if Lamya squirmed a little while the teacher was CUTTING HER HAIR and got poked in the eye or her face got marked up? I’m sure Lamya knows better than to cut someone’s hair, but if she did… would she be expelled or suspended? No one thinks about what could have happened or what could happen next. Like someone said, it’s abusive and the teacher should have to pay… Read more »

donna irons
donna irons

That’s teacher needs to be charged with assault. My boy cut off his ex’s hair and went to prison for assault.

E.F.

Brothers and sisters, everyone needs to learn their God given rights. The teacher violated this child’s rights in quite a few ways and the parent(s) of that child should pursue this in both criminal and civil court. That teacher is an employee of a public institution and thus there damages to be paid this little child. Then a civil response since it was a person to person violation. No need to respond with violence or follow ignorance with more ignorance, but proper application of the law and not ceasing until satisfaction is key. Secondly, to send your child to a schooling… Read more »

Calvin Adknis
Calvin Adknis
Reply to  E.F.

This was assault. The parents should be sewing the county prosecutor for not doing his/her job. Until you stand up and demand justice, you will never get justice.

CK
CK
Reply to  Calvin Adknis

The child had to endue being laughed at by her peers. That classroom will never be the same. The innocence of learning has been taken away. This teacher should be no where near a child.

Paul Mauer

I don’t use this word much but, in this case it’s very warranted “what a cunt!”. and now i’m going use some creative writing! “She is a CUNTpilot flying a SNATCHattack plane powered by BITCHfuel on a non stop transcontinental flight to the Republic of THIS IS NOT THE 1950’s” in the lush region of EAT SHIT AND DIE IN A FIRE!” my father was a teacher for 30 years and this kinda stuff makes me sick with anger. for one she thinks this is appropriate behavior for any human not to mention one of an educator and role model.… Read more »

Dee Sova
Dee Sova
Reply to  Paul Mauer

This is absolutely ridiculous!!! If she was a Caucasian girl doing the same thing, would the teacher have cut her hair? Doubtful!! Not a race issue but it is a testament to the lack of qualified educators in our public school systems. A parent should feel comfortable sending their child to school, without worry about a teachers actions. It’s bad enough kids have a tough time with things such as bullying to deal with. I think this teacher should’ve been suspended without pay for at least 2 weeks! I’m just sayin.……really??

Tabitha Shay
Reply to  Dee Sova

I think the teacher should be fired. Who knows how short she might cut the next little girl’s hair?

Latoya
Latoya
Reply to  Dee Sova

Do we really even know if this teacher was white? Something tells me you pull the race card often. I don’t even bother to think what would happen if someone was another color because one, we don’t know the color of the teacher and two, that’s racist thinking. If you go looking for racism, you’re going to find it.

renee mcdonald
renee mcdonald

Assault. Criminal.

CJ DeAndrea
CJ DeAndrea

Oh there would have been assault charges, probably against ME!!!!! She cut my child’s hair???? That teacher would be bald before I got through with her!!! My youngest has always twisted her hair around (she’s 25 and still does), if she came home and told me her teacher cut her hair, it would’ve BEEN ON!!!!!

Steven Tilmon
Steven Tilmon

I woulda pulled, not cut, ‘PULLED’ a patch out of that bitches head…hair, scalp & all! Then asked her “now what’cha gonna tell yo momma???”

Chocotai
Chocotai
Reply to  Steven Tilmon

Ha!

threescee
threescee

This is assault! How dare they have the audacity, but then I remind myself what world we live in.

threescee
threescee

So if I were to go back up to that school and cut the teachers hair they could do nothing but fine me right?? I would’ve definitely turned the tables, if she had the right to cut my child’s hair then I should have EVERY right to do the same to her!

Mz. D
Mz. D
Reply to  threescee

I agree ????%

Leesha Speaks

Hence the reason why I pulled mine out to homeschool him. Funny how people say they don’t have the patience to homeschool their own children when we see that some teachers don’t have the patience either.

f
f

This teacher is smut! She should be kicked in her ass, and shaved bald!

Geo
Geo

How could any teacher in their right mind think that this was acceptable?!

Tamara

Then as a parent if you slap the hell out of someone like that they want to beat you with billy clubs and throw you under the jail. I wish I could have a moment or two with her and I am usually a non-violent person but this really makes you mad! How can anyone treat a little child that way!!

Mourning Dove
Mourning Dove

The parents of this child should be filing charges against the school system, the teacher, and the court system in the federal courts. it is completely outrageous that this teacher is back in the classroom. If this had been my child or grandchild, I can guarantee you I would need bail money. I would have pulled every hair out of that teachers head and the wiped the school floors with her. I taught school, and this kind of behavior is deplorable. Students should be able to come to a teacher with any problem, how are they to feel comfortable doing so,… Read more »

Miezekatze
Miezekatze

Unless the teacher is a licensed barber, the act constitutes assault with a deadly weapon and should be prosecuted.

Katina Hawkins

This act of frustrated from the teacher is deployable. I can only imagine, the things that are going through that babies head. It is never ok no matter what the race for any educator to even touch or violate the rights of their students. If twirling her hair had you that anger the question is , Do you have anger issues and whatelse would you do too our children if they get out ouf line? Clearly ! The school system is not for an individual like you. Thank God she did have one of those parents that did not come… Read more »

MZ
MZ

In the 2nd grade, I wore braids(no beads) one of my classmates (tormenters) cut off one of my braids in class, because my hair looked different. My Mom was mad as all get out, I actually got in trouble for beating her azz..I informed the teacher, who basically said “SO”, the school did nothing, the offender was also a child, ancient history. This happened back in the day where I was called the “N” word daily in school, in front of others, adults, instructors, officials, when this practice was basically deemed as exceptable behavior. This is an entirely different time,… Read more »

MZ
MZ

In the 2nd grade, I wore braids(no beads) one of my classmates (tormenters) cut off one of my braids in class, because my hair looked different. My Mom was mad as all get out, I actually got in trouble for not beating her azz..I informed the teacher, who basically said “SO”, the school did nothing, the offender was also a child, ancient history. This happened back in the day where I was called the “N” word daily in school, in front of others, adults, instructors, officials, when this practice was basically deemed as exceptable behavior. This is an entirely different… Read more »

Eric
Eric

This happened 4years ago, so why are we only hearing about this now.

Mari Steed

In the course of our research and campaign for women who had survived Ireland’s notorious Magdalene Laundries, we learned that hair-cutting and shaving as punishment was frequent. When we took our case (successfully) to the UN in 2011, we found that the UN Committee Against Torture (UNCAT) defines hair-cutting as punishment as torture. This woman needs more than a ‘small fine’ and a reprimand. She has assaulted and violated this little girl’s dignity, personhood and human rights.this archival photo shows women with shaved or cropped heads in a Magdalene Laundry.
[img]https://bglh-marketplace.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/image-22.jpg[/img]

Breanne Blanks
Breanne Blanks

I would like to call the school and speak my mind on behalf of this family. This teacher should have lost her job, her reputation, her ability to ever work with children again, ect. I cannot believe the slap on the wrist. I would never have backed down if thus happened to my child. Unbelievable!

Jessica Williams
Jessica Williams
Reply to  Breanne Blanks

I agree. I would not have quit until she was fired, and lost the right to work with children. Unacceptable behavior!!

Yvonne Glover

This little angel had not deserved punishment of a personal nature. She should write 25 time I WILL NOT PLAY WITH MY HAIR IF IT MAKES NOISE. The Mom should file a lawsuit directly at that teacher,or make her write 100 times. I will not Ever again assult a child for being annoying. That’s what children do. One good thing is that hair grows back.Getting humiliated cannot always be repaired.